• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How fast do you walk on the Camino?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2012, others, hospitalero, resumed VdlP 2022
Recently reported research at University of Leicester grouped 400,000 adults with an average age of 57 into
(a) 7% slow walkers (less than 3 mph/4.8 kph)
(b) c50% average walkers (3 to 4 mph), and
(c) c40% brisk walkers (more than 4 mph/6.4 kph)
The age-related/biological difference between (a) and (c) was as much as 16 years!

Personally I reckon on an average of at least 4 kph which includes rests (second breakfast and 'elevenses' and maybe some shopping/sightseeing), and walking from about 0700 to 1300, say 6 hours per day or 24 kms a day, and I can stretch this to 30kms for a couple of days only. But recently I followed a blogger who was walking (running?) about twice that speed, arriving exhausted and doing nothing other than watch movies, etc on his phone. In March on th e VdlP I met another pilgrim who claimed to be averaging 30-40 kms per day and had no time to "stop and stare" at anything.

My question, please, is how fast do you walk in the Camino? And for how many hours per day?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So, not taking into account stop time, i.e. just when I am walking, then on the flat about 4.5kph, slower when ascending.

I personally prefer not to stop when I am walking because I have some arthritis and when I stop I cool down and then it is more uncomfortable when I restart but that, of course, is my style of walking.

In general and after the first week I would normally walk for 4-6 hours a day.

Hi, I guess vet weather and terrain dependent, over the first 15 days of Camino Mozarabe distance has been anywhere between 19km and 39km. Time between start and finish, anywhere between 4.5 hours and 9 . Some fantastic days Pure type 1 fun , a couple of horrendous ones. Firmly type 2

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am 68 Peter. I probably fall within the 3-4 mile range but I know I am also in the 4-5 range. I know for me it depends on many factors. I start out more slowly in the morning and usually end more slowly in the afternoon depending on how far I have gone that day. The first few days of the camino I also walk a little more slowly until I find my rhythm. The more I walk the more quickly I find my rhythm but early on I will purposely take longer to get to it as I am very careful to get my body into "camino"shape. The same goes for distance per day. I try to keep stages (if possible) between 20-22k per day no more than that. Since I have the luxury of time I can afford to break stages up. This year I am walking the Aragones to the CF to Santiago. The first "stage" on Gronze is about 30k. I will break that up into 2 days. Gronze has this Camino in 6 stages. I will take 9 or maybe 10. Also early on in my caminos I look at each day as 5k caminos. I walk about 5K and then I stop wherever I am, take some water and some snack and relax. Depending on how I feel it may be 10 minutes or longer. I get up and walk again for 5k. When I am ready for lunch (which I often carry with me) I usually try to find a bench in a town, when possible or a stone wall or a tree and take 45-hour. I have learned your body will tell you when it has rested and that you should start to walk again. I was going to start in early November but I decided to start about October 20th from Samport to make sure I have access to albergues. I will walk some half days even later on caminos (10-15K0 instead of a rest day. So the length of time I walk varies quite a bit based on how long I have been walking and how I feel. Later on I may walk 27 or 28k one day and 10-15 the next. I just listen to my body and never my head or others who I have met along whichever camino I am on. Just follow my rhythm and my body.
I guess this doesn't help to much haha

Probably about average 4 kph depending on the terrain. We live at altitude (7,200 ft or 2,194 meters) and do hiking at home up to around 10,000 ft or 3,000 meters so may have some initial advantages in walking uphill in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My (F56) usual walking speed is about 6kph. I have a naturally long stride so that helps. On Camino I was much slower at 4-5kph. I took long breaks, so my morning coffee break was usually 30-45 minutes. I stopped to take pictures and admire the scenery. I did not rush and race, and was usually at my accommodation by 2pm at the latest. I wanted to enjoy the experience and I did.

I am 68 Peter. I probably fall within the 3-4 mile range but I know I am also in the 4-5 range. I know for me it depends on many factors. I start out more slowly in the morning and usually end more slowly in the afternoon depending on how far I have gone that day. The first few days of the camino I also walk a little more slowly until I find my rhythm. The more I walk the more quickly I find my rhythm but early on I will purposely take longer to get to it as I am very careful to get my body into "camino"shape. The same goes for distance per day. I try to keep stages (if possible) between 20-22k per day no more than that. Since I have the luxury of time I can afford to break stages up. This year I am walking the Aragones to the CF to Santiago. The first "stage" on Gronze is about 30k. I will break that up into 2 days. Gronze has this Camino in 6 stages. I will take 9 or maybe 10. Also early on in my caminos I look at each day as 5k caminos. I walk about 5K and then I stop wherever I am, take some water and some snack and relax. Depending on how I feel it may be 10 minutes or longer. I get up and walk again for 5k. When I am ready for lunch (which I often carry with me) I usually try to find a bench in a town, when possible or a stone wall or a tree and take 45-hour. I have learned your body will tell you when it has rested and that you should start to walk again. I was going to start in early November but I decided to start about October 20th from Samport to make sure I have access to albergues. I will walk some half days even later on caminos (10-15K0 instead of a rest day. So the length of time I walk varies quite a bit based on how long I have been walking and how I feel. Later on I may walk 27 or 28k one day and 10-15 the next. I just listen to my body and never my head or others who I have met along whichever camino I am on. Just follow my rhythm and my body.
I guess this doesn't help to much haha
That sounds closer to my style of walking - maybe I should have said I'm 77

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That sounds closer to my style of walking - maybe I should have said I'm 77
Meet me in Barcelona in late in mid October and you can join me on my Camino from Somport on the Aragones to the CF to Santiago. ;)

Recently reported research at University of Leicester grouped 400,000 adults with an average age of 57 into
The age-related/biological difference between (a) and (c) was as much as 16 years!

Personally I reckon on an average of at least 4 kph which includes rests (second breakfast and 'elevenses' and maybe some shopping/sightseeing), and walking from about 0700 to 1300, say 6 hours per day or 24 kms a day, and I can stretch this to 30kms for a couple of days only. But recently I followed a blogger who was walking (running?) about twice that speed, arriving exhausted and doing nothing other than watch movies, etc on his phone. In March on th e VdlP I met another pilgrim who claimed to be averaging 30-40 kms per day and had no time to "stop and stare" at anything.

My question, please, is how fast do you walk in the Camino? And for how many hours per day?
Peter, I am a lazy toerag. Born and bred in a town near Glasgow, I would not walk the length of myself till I was almost 58, and set out on the cf. Since then if I do not get in my daily at home 10,000 steps I berate myself. I know that I managed a 1km 12 minute average on my CF. Oh dear, I have slowed down! Is that helpful for your research? I need to go on to something else now, but will check in later. And aren't we so blessed to have this luxury of comparing speed notes? Please believe me, I am serious. I respect your question.

How fast?
I have no idea.
However fast I walk it gets me there.

How many hours is the better question.
6-12, the latter being rare and extreme, either because I had to, or because of getting off track (not on the Francés - that'd be impossible). Normally, 6-10

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Slow and proud

I wonder if the research included carrying a pack, and what difference that made.

With my current pack, which includes my CPAP and far more medications than I have ever taken before as well as additional dental care items, my moving average is hovering around 4 kph, and my overall average has crept up to 3 kph. This doesn't seem to vary too much even on longer days.

My target daily distance is 20 km, although clearly not everything is so nicely spaced, and actual daily distances have varied from 15 to 30 km.

Normally I want to leave before 8:00 am, and be finished by mid afternoon. That sometimes happens! The latest I have arrived was at 6:30 pm after an 8:30 am start from a hotel where breakfast didn't start till 8:00 am.

As a comparison, when I plan walks for a group I walk with at home, I plan on an overall average of 3.5 kph. For solo walks or with only one or two others I plan on 4 kph. I carry a light pack on these.

It would be interesting to find out if those stats were based on people walking with or without a backpack, on flat or hilly terrain, and for walks over what distance.

With a backpack, I think I tend to walk 4-5 km an hour. If I am walking with the right person, a bit faster.
When I started my 2016 Camino we were averaging closer to 3.33km/h, but it speeded up to the 4-5 km/h after we got our hiking poles about a week into the Camino. Not sure if it was growing strength and endurance or the poles that did it.

It would be interesting to find out if those stats were based on people walking with or without a backpack, on flat or hilly terrain, and for walks over what distance
I'm pretty sure that it probay average pace on a standard stroll around the neighborhood. No backpacks minimal hills.

I generally walk 3 mph, slightly faster but not by much (19 minutes/mile is more accurate). It isn't a race. 3mph is a very comfortable pace for me. Then I stop and meander when I want to! Take rest breaks when I want to. This is for flat and downhill, with or without a light backpack (under 15 lbs). Uphill it depends on how I am feeling and how steep of an incline. Anyhow - I can walk faster - but why would I want to do that on a long distance walk?

Anyhow - I can walk faster - but why would I want to do that on a long distance walk?
One good reason on the CP over the last week would have been to get out of the stifling heat. That said, I found it suited me to set a steady pace that I could maintain, even when I was turning into a ball of sweat.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My wife and I are both in our 60’s. We generally average 3-4 kph over a day, including breaks, stops for photos, etc. We’ve found that 20-25 km is a good distance for us, we are not too tired when we finish each day, and can enjoy the evening and dinner. We will start our 3rd Camino next week. Yes, slower than most, but it’s not a race and we love the experience.

My speed varies. I generally walk quite slowly and stop a lot, for coffees, breaks, to take photos....

I'm on the trail about 6-8 hours a day. My average speed is fairly consistent at 3.5 kph including breaks.
I use 3.5 kph for distance planning purposes. It really doesn't vary.......

Whilst actually walking though, it can vary depending on terrain, weather, mood.
Now and again I might reach 6 kph over short sections, but that is really a 'work out' for me.
So my regular speed is more like 4-5 kph.

Most people pass me ;)

One good reason on the CP over the last week would have been to get out of the stifling heat. That said, I found it suited me to set a steady pace that I could maintain, even when I was turning into a ball of sweat.
Yeah - I just start a little earlier in the AM to avoid the hottest parts of the day. Also an argument for a solar umbrella - helped a lot on the few hot days I had last year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@peterhore -

My answer? "It depends!"

I just digested this from a walk in Spring 2014. It was a walk with a physically impaired companion. Because of time of year, we walked the Valcarlos.

That said, when I walked alone (@58 & 63 y/o - reasonable healthy but not an athlete!), my stages and the distance charts were rather similar...only about a day's difference between them in duration between SJPP and SdC. Walking time varied from 4-5 hours (early) to 6-7.5 hours (later).

The chart shows "km/day" and "7DMA" (7 Day Moving Average of Miles walked per day - - "zero" mile days are included).

Yes, a weird presentation perhaps, but it allows "km" and "mile" people both to get a feeling for distances without making the chart too "busy".

Start slow, listen to your body, and the distance per day will take care of itself.

Buen Camino,

B

Attachments

• 2014 Walking Stages and 7DMA.pdf
    311.6 KB · Views: 28
@peterhore -

My answer? "It depends!"

I just digested this from a walk in Spring 2014. It was a walk with a physically impaired companion. Because of time of year, we walked the Valcarlos.

That said, when I walked alone (@58 & 63 y/o - reasonable healthy but not an athlete!), my stages and the distance charts were rather similar...only about a day's difference between them in duration between SJPP and SdC. Walking time varied from 4-5 hours (early) to 6-7.5 hours (later).

The chart shows "km/day" and "7DMA" (7 Day Moving Average of Miles walked per day - - "zero" mile days are included).

Yes, a weird presentation perhaps, but it allows "km" and "mile" people both to get a feeling for distances without making the chart too "busy".

Start slow, listen to your body, and the distance per day will take care of itself.

Buen Camino,

B

Interesting.
I have similar plots for each Camino and see the same trend.
My daily distance gradually increases a little as I go on.
Start slow ;)

3 to 4 mph (5 to 6.5 kph), 6-8 hours per day. The variation is dependent on terrain, weather and route. Some Camino's like Frances there are frequent accommodations. The VdlP not so much.

I'm always interested in people's walking speeds.
Partly because I'm amazed at how fast some people can walk!
Sadly my backside is closer to the ground than many, so at only 5'7" my stride is quite short.

I find once I get to about 6 kph, I almost want to break into a jog!
Not that I really could or would .... :oops:

So I looked up walking speeds and transition speeds into jogging, and found this.

Basic treadmill settings:

Treadmills can vary in their features, but most have the same core functionalities of speed and incline, which is all you need for a great workout. In general, treadmill speeds are measured in kilometres per hour (km/h), and the higher the number, the faster the belt of the treadmill goes. Typically 3-6 km/h is walking speed, 6-9 km/h is a fast walk or light jog, and over 9 km/h is jogging or running. The incline number raises or lowers the platform of the treadmill to simulate running on flat ground or hills.

I have to confess to being a bit nerdy about numbers whilst on Camino.

I'm one of those people who on a long drive, will see a road sign that says 600 kms to my destination.......
And immediately I'm dividing it by my average speed and estimating my arrival time.
Sad I know :rolleyes:
Particularly when I'm also using GPS on google maps!

But I do the same on Camino :)
I'll look at the guidebook.....
And I have a speed app on my phone.......
And I'll estimate when I'll arrive at my coffee stop, lunch stop.........

But we all do that? Right? :oops::oops:

Please say you do........ :)

Last edited:
My husband turns on both his phone AND his fit bit apps for speed and distance even when he walks with me to work and back so you are not the only one... crazily they often have different readings for the same walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

When I did my Camino 4ks per hour 6 /7 hours.

I thought I was an average walker, but by this research I fall under the slow walker category. On a flat gymnasium floor I average about 3 miles per hour doing laps. I pass many others that walk there, but there are a couple that walk faster than I. Given the inclines, declines, gravel roads, rocks, and mud, I'd be lucky to do 2 mph.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Peter, I am a lazy toerag. Born and bred in a town near Glasgow, I would not walk the length of myself till I was almost 58, and set out on the cf. Since then if I do not get in my daily at home 10,000 steps I berate myself. I know that I managed a 1km 12 minute average on my CF. Oh dear, I have slowed down! Is that helpful for your research? I need to go on to something else now, but will check in later. And aren't we so blessed to have this luxury of comparing speed notes? Please believe me, I am serious. I respect your question.
Also from Glasgow going on my 18 th Camino 24 th May nearly 71 yrs young speed irrelevant it's what your comfortable with that matters no use killing oneself for the sake of a watch book ahead take your time and enjoy this glorious journey Buen Camino

In March on th e VdlP I met another pilgrim who claimed to be averaging 30-40 kms per day and had no time to "stop and stare" at anything.

My average on both my Vía de la Plata walks was 33 km and my Francés over 40 km. The rest of my many Caminos were around 30 km per day which is comfortable for me.

My average speed is 5 kph with poles. My ability to walk long distances is besides fitness (not age cause I'm way over the hill!) the use of poles which lessens the load on lower extremity joints.

Given the above I usually walk 6-8 hours a day and arrive mid afternoon which is my preference. And I definitely can do more than stare when I arrive😂.

I'm gifted (?) with fast recovery. The next morning even after walking more than 40 km I feel fine but...if I sit for too long during a coffee break I'm quite stiff when I first stand up and until I get moving😉

My husband turns on both his phone AND his fit bit apps for speed and distance even when he walks with me to work and back so you are not the only one... crazily they often have different readings for the same walk.
My experience too. Compared to Gronze calculations (from exit town to entrance next?) my Fitbit underestimates stages by as much as 5 km on a 30 km walk. I also recently walked 25 km with my son and his Polar watch clocked in 4-5 km more than mine. You can plug in your stride length on the Fitbit but the problem is that your stride changes whether on flat, inclines or declines and depending on terrain. But heck, it's just a toy that gives you an estimate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I generally walk 3 mph, slightly faster but not by much (19 minutes/mile is more accurate). It isn't a race. 3mph is a very comfortable pace for me. Then I stop and meander when I want to! Take rest breaks when I want to. This is for flat and downhill, with or without a light backpack (under 15 lbs). Uphill it depends on how I am feeling and how steep of an incline. Anyhow - I can walk faster - but why would I want to do that on a long distance walk?
This is my style. No hurry.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I kept up a 4km per hr pace, up and down, for most of the day for 4 caminos. It is trained into me and my legs just go that rhythm, even though I no longer carry 40- 70 pounds. You would think that with minimal weight my body would pick a faster pace, but it just doesn't happen. I think I hear the cadence in my head, still! This year, I have a bad neck to attend to so slowing down is a must.

Last edited:
I kept up a 4km per hr pace, up and down, for most of the day for 4 caminos. It is trained into me and my legs just go that rhythm, even though I no longer carry 40- 70 pounds. You would think that with minimal weight my body would pick a faster pace, but I just doesn't happen. I think I hear the cadence in mybhead, still! This year, I have a bad neck to attend to so slowing down is a must.
In the end if you have time does it matter ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm 57, and in average shape. I walked my second CF in September/October of last year. According to my Relive tracker data, I averaged exactly 4.1kph (tracker turned on upon leaving the albergue in the morning, paused for any stop longer than a few minutes, stopped upon reaching destination), min of 3kph, and max of 4.7kph. I walked with 2 others for 30 of those days. I carried my (full) 48L backpack every day, and used/carried walking poles. The vast majority of the 34 days were under what I would call ideal weather conditions for walking, with perhaps 3 days of intermittent light rain and one half day of heavy rain. My daily speed varied with the changes in terrain, but not by a huge margin.

I was definitely not in a hurry, rarely leaving the albergue earlier than 7:30am, and arriving at my destination typically anywhere from 2pm to some times as late as 4-5pm, stopping frequently for drinks/lunch/snacks, and taking an average of 60 photos/videos per day. I thought it was a good pace for me.

Meet me in Barcelona in late in mid October and you can join me on my Camino from Somport on the Aragones to the CF to Santiago. ;)
Thanks for the invitation: I need to finish my VdlP first, but I do want to walk the Aragones sometime. Don't think I'll ever go back to the CF though - too crowded!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I manage 5km in the first hour and then slow down a bit. My natural pace seems to be about 12:30 per km. For example 2 days ago I left Estella at 6:15am and was in Los Arcos before the albergue opened at noon.

On the last Sunday in June down in Dorset, UK there are 100 walkers who set off from Swanage to test themselves on something locally known as the "Purbeck Plod". It is a walk along the South West Coast path then turns north for a walk along the hill top through Corfe Castle and on to Old Harry rock to return to Swanage. This is a total of 25 miles (40km), but more significantly when all of the hills and cliffs are added up, it is the equivalent to climbing up Ben Nevis and back down again.
The results are published and so there are a few more points for your results. The results roughly agree with the figures of the OP. I am typically near the back of the pack, taking 10 hours to complete the walk - which works out to be 2.5mph = 4.0kph.
As a slower and older walker you quickly learn to let others rush on ahead and simply enjoy the walk.

While the Purbeck Plod is an annual highlight and challenge, on the Camino there is much more to see and do, and so I will plan shorter sessions, but always start very early often on the road at dawn and always by 07:00 latest to compensate for my slower walking speed.

I also learned the hard way the mantra "You walk your own camino" when I tried to keep up with others.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is a complicated question.

There are three numbers.

Basic kp/h when you're just walking.
Average kp/h including rests etc.
Overall kp/day all included.

At my absolute best hiker-wise, my own numbers have been up to :

6-8

Nowadays of course it's more like :

15 hopefully ???!!?

I really do hope that the average age is 57 as that's my own age now !! May I carry on with the Camino 'til 2079 !! (not a Holy Year sadly)

Thanks for the invitation: I need to finish my VdlP first, but I do want to walk the Aragones sometime. Don't think I'll ever go back to the CF though - too crowded!
I just walked the VDLP last October-December. Most municipal albergues and many private ones were closed as well as most kitchens. It is a unique experience to say the least. I figure to hit the CF in early November so from past experience it shouldn't be too bad. I walked in 2019 and had plenty of solitude as well as making wonderful friends. I actually thought about walking the Aragones and then going over to Lisbon and walking the CP again. Love Portugal. Think I will wait on that and start in Faro. Buen Camino

Last Camino (Portuguese) I discovered a few important things.
The old news - My most comfortable daily distance is still around 20 km. The amount of time this can take depends on stops for food, sights to see, time for still reflection, photos, general lolling about etc.
My average speed is around 4 km per hour.
The new news - I can walk 30+ km a day if needed. If I walk fast which I did one day I am ‘wrecked the next day’. However if I walk slow - average 3 km per hour including lunch break and short stops I can seemingly go forever. I did 33 km in 11 hours - finished in reasonable shape and woke up the next day felling fine. I was 66 on that Camino.
I met a couple of people who were averaging 30+ km per day or more due to time constraints and other things. They mostly looked eXhausted and not so happy.
Depends on why you are there. My companion on Portuguese just wanted to ‘get there’. I wanted to stop and smell the daisies as much as I could.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When doing walks at home on flat surface, no pack I walk approximately 3 kilometres per hour. Pretty consistent. Sometimes a little longer time, but never less.
On the Camino I would guess I walk approximately 3.5-4.0 kilometres per hour on flatter more improved sections. Obviously slower when encountering hills and dodgy terrain.
My average walking day would probably be 23 kilometres. The shortest day I ever walked on the Camino was 10 kilometres and the longest day was 38 kilometres.
I leave the albergues at about sunrise, maybe a little earlier and I usually walk until 2-3 pm I would guess. A 7-9 hour walking day if I were to crunch it down.
The few times I walked 10-12 kilometres I woke up last in the albergue, putted about whilst everyone else was leaving (like being off from work and all your co-workers are doing the grind lol) and went out and got breakfast, roamed a bit, more coffee and didn't start walking until after 10 pm and even then got to where I wanted to stay way before the albergue opened.

I'm one of those people who on a long drive, will see a road sign that says 600 kms to my destination.......
And immediately I'm dividing it by my average speed and estimating my arrival time.
Sad I know :rolleyes:
Particularly when I'm also using GPS on google maps!

But I do the same on Camino :)
I'll look at the guidebook.....
And I have a speed app on my phone.......
And I'll estimate when I'll arrive at my coffee stop, lunch stop.........

But we all do that? Right? :oops::oops:

Please say you do........ :)
YEP! But I don't have a speed app on my phone. I do track my distances and my apple watch tells me my speed. But I always look at distance and can usually tell my arrival time at my next destination with adding time for any breaks taken. I really don't take "rest" breaks, but I do take "food" breaks - so I only add time if I decide to sit down to eat.

It's an interesting thing to ponder, this rate of walking...I can't remember walking a Camino in perfect health. I've walked the CF following a mastectomy, with pneumonia and a broken bone in my foot. I walked the Via de San Francisco, Italy following abdominal surgery, the Portuguese Camino with a tumor in my L knee, the Ingles with major GI issues. This year, after a two year COVID forced hiatus, I return following complete reconstruction of my GI tract, esophagus and diaphragm. I've no idea what rate I would be going if healthy and unencumbered. The rate at which I walk is not important to me...just being able to get where I'm going is enough. I leave from Porto on June 1st and I'll be going so slowly, very slow...I'll need to make sure I'm actually still moving forward! BUT...feeling BLESSED beyond all measure to be getting out to walk again! ( yes, carrying pack ) ( yes, 63 yrs old ) ( yes, stubborn as hell )

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I kept up a 4km per hr pace, up and down, for most of the day for 4 caminos. It is trained into me and my legs just go that rhythm, even though I no longer carry 40- 70 pounds. You would think that with minimal weight my body would pick a faster pace, but I just doesn't happen. I think I hear the cadence in mybhead, still! This year, I have a bad neck to attend to so slowing down is a must.

I think that's it.
We all have a natural 'cadence'.

That's why walking at someone else's pace is so hard, if it doesn't match ours....

I’m in Logronio and I try to walk around 20 km/day…walking about 7hrs/day…it’s maybe a slow but it’s working for me….

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My speed varies. I generally walk quite slowly and stop a lot, for coffees, breaks, to take photos....

I'm on the trail about 6-8 hours a day. My average speed is fairly consistent at 3.5 kph including breaks.
I use 3.5 kph for distance planning purposes. It really doesn't vary.......

Whilst actually walking though, it can vary depending on terrain, weather, mood.
Now and again I might reach 6 kph over short sections, but that is really a 'work out' for me.
So my regular speed is more like 4-5 kph.

Most people pass me ;)
I have been thinking about all this and especially for retired people or people who are fortunate enough to have alot of time. I think what you said can kind of sum things up for most people. What I commented on is pretty personal. I think it should and does come down to terrain, weather, mood and of course level of physical pain. The key is just to find your own pace and with your own pace comes your own personal happiness. I think that is the key and who cares who passes you when you are in spiritual, emotional and hopefully mental bliss.
I think in many cases the speed and daily distance is based on a simple formula. The more wrinkles on a pilgrim the less speed and distance!

It's an interesting thing to ponder, this rate of walking...I can't remember walking a Camino in perfect health. I've walked the CF following a mastectomy, with pneumonia and a broken bone in my foot. I walked the Via de San Francisco, Italy following abdominal surgery, the Portuguese Camino with a tumor in my L knee, the Ingles with major GI issues. This year, after a two year COVID forced hiatus, I return following complete reconstruction of my GI tract, esophagus and diaphragm. I've no idea what rate I would be going if healthy and unencumbered. The rate at which I walk is not important to me...just being able to get where I'm going is enough. I leave from Porto on June 1st and I'll be going so slowly, very slow...I'll need to make sure I'm actually still moving forward! BUT...feeling BLESSED beyond all measure to be getting out to walk again! ( yes, carrying pack ) ( yes, 63 yrs old ) ( yes, stubborn as hell )
Congratulations on your tenacity and courage. Over the past 9 years, I’ve walked the Frances in 2+ stages and the Portuguese—all in good health. Currently on Ingles with my 18 month diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease. Very slow as I need to maintain strength and energy. Taking 12 days with two rest days to complete. Fortunately my walking companion, much quicker than I, is very patient😀. I still remember my “healthy” Camino walks where I was tired but not fatigued. Tomorrow I tackle the hill out of Pontedeume😅. Blessings on your trip!!

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations on your tenacity and courage. Over the past 9 years, I’ve walked the Frances in 2+ stages and the Portuguese—all in good health. Currently on Ingles with my 18 month diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease. Very slow as I need to maintain strength and energy. Taking 12 days with two rest days to complete. Fortunately my walking companion, much quicker than I, is very patient😀. I still remember my “healthy” Camino walks where I was tired but not fatigued. Tomorrow I tackle the hill out of Pontedeume😅. Blessings on your trip!!
Walk On! Blessings to you as well my fellow warrior...Vaya con Dios , the hill awaits!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back