• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How green, or not green, is the meseta in the fall/winter?

Icacos

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Hi fellow members. If I work very hard I could probably be ready to walk this fall and am seriously looking at the Madrid, but I worry that there might be a total lack of green on the meseta at that time. We have all seen the pictures and know how beautiful the meseta can be at all times of the year - but being around green really sustains me and I'm not sure how I would cope if there were a total absence of it for several days on a stretch. Have other people noticed this and/or been affected by this? If you could post pictures of the meseta taken during the fall that would be most appreciated. 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Spring and summer is beautiful, but I also love the meseta and all the CF fields in the fall with its many shades of brown. I noticed a very different sense of ‘energy’ in the landscape last year when I walked in both the spring and fall. This year I was quite surprised at the brilliant reds in the vineyards in the first half of November.
A4CBACE0-1F95-429E-BFD3-9D2514D7DE6C.jpeg

Last edited:
We walked through the Mesata in March. It was Cold, windy and constantly raining (2018) or snow....vegetation mostly still hibernating.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
An October meseta morning from a couple of years ago. Quite lovely, as was all of the then harvested fields, now brown and gray.
I prefer summertime Camino walks, but I had no problem being able to "cope" with the fall season absence of green, lol :D.
IMG_20181015_085905010_HDR.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all for your input. It must be my eager anticipation of new spring growth that has me so fixated on green. The pictures you provided are spectacular; it's good to be reminded of what the soft autumn light can do to fall colours. And @marylynn, your description of the brilliant reds in the vineyards in early November is a real draw, although I don't know if I want to be walking at that time of the year.

I walked in in late Sept and there was nothing green. Most fields were harvested. That said, it was one of my favorite sections. The light on the fields in the morning was beautiful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I walked it in the winter I had an eerie but interesting experience. At one point there were no birds or insects, no wind at all, no people or vehicles. Realising the only sounds were my feet and the creaking of my pack, I came to a dead halt and held my breath. There was complete silence, such as I'd never experienced outdoors. Here in the Australian bush, something will make a sound somewhere, even in the middle of a still, frosty night. But not out on the meseta on a windless winter day.

Desolate it was. But I wouldn't miss the meseta. In Galicia one can o/d on all the green. The meseta is for something else, especially in the heart of winter.
https://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/out-of-burgos/

Before I walked the Madrid at the end of September/early October I didn’t like brown. Now I’m in love with it!38E4650A-46C8-4A3C-919F-7D7680FF37A2.jpegF4DE2972-DDCD-4978-BF77-AC5DF0810AC0.jpeg40B19192-947E-4242-90D0-19F8542B5C28.jpeg

Attachments

• 8F70CBF8-4C7A-4025-9003-B7B8B9A9142F.jpeg
    8F70CBF8-4C7A-4025-9003-B7B8B9A9142F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 34768A56-30C1-4FC2-A197-5E7581CC0273.jpeg
    34768A56-30C1-4FC2-A197-5E7581CC0273.jpeg
    937.4 KB · Views: 15
Despite the season though the rivers on the Meseta were beautiful. And there are stands of poplar, with beautiful autumn leaves

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.