• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How hard are these stages?

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
Molinaseca to Villafranca Del Bierzo

Villafranca to O Cebriero

Both of these are over 15 miles. How hard are they?

And has anyone taken the alt route from Villafranca called the Pradela? It's listed as an alternative to the regular or the Dragonte in Brierly and it sounds nice. If you have taken this, how hard is it?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would definitely recommend you split them both! The Villafranca to O Cebreiro at least, and I would recommend the Pradela rather than the tarmac route out of town. But to then go on all the way to O Cebreiro makes a long and hard day with two significant ups and one steep down. Plus the walk up to O Cebreiro is beautiful and should be savoured, not endured! I like staying in Acebo, in Molinaseca - there is a lot of up and down there too - and Cacabelos is a lovely place to stop. Don't follow the guidebook stages, they are guides only. Check the miles, the climb and the available accommodation and plan a route that suits you (or don't plan at all).

This question is a little vague. "Hard" is relative. Generally, if the profile climbs 1,000 feet/mile or more, it's effortful for me. The stage approaching O'cebreiro comes close to this measure I think.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did Villafranca del Bierzo to O Cebreiro, and it was a fairly difficult day. In my notes I show 18.6 miles - and it's a steep uphill for quite a bit of it. I wouldn't stop at O Cebreiro again, because it was the only albergue I stayed at that I wouldn't stay at again. I would spend the night at La Faba instead.
And I walked from Ponferrada to Villafranca, so a bit shorter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did Villafranca del Bierzo to O Cebreiro, and it was a fairly difficult day. In my notes I show 18.6 miles - and it's a steep uphill for quite a bit of it. I wouldn't stop at O Cebreiro again, because it was the only albergue I stayed at that I wouldn't stay at again. I would spend the night at La Faba instead.
I walked from Acebo to Ponferrada to Villafranca, then the next day I ended at LaFaba, which was plenty hard imo. I loved the muni there. It was beautiful. Then the next morning we headed up to O'Cebreiro after a good night's sleep and had more energy for the rest of the climb, walked around for a couple of hours in full sun and continued on to Fonfria. I hope to do that section the same way this spring when I go again.

I would definitely recommend you split them both! The Villafranca to O Cebreiro at least, and I would recommend the Pradela rather than the tarmac route out of town. But to then go on all the way to O Cebreiro makes a long and hard day with two significant ups and one steep down. Plus the walk up to O Cebreiro is beautiful and should be savoured, not endured! I like staying in Acebo, in Molinaseca - there is a lot of up and down there too - and Cacabelos is a lovely place to stop. Don't follow the guidebook stages, they are guides only. Check the miles, the climb and the available accommodation and plan a route that suits you (or don't plan at all).

Definitely agree with @nidarosa - no need at all to stick to guide book stages. Both of those would have been far too long for me. We did Acebo-Ponferrada-Villafranca and then Villafranca-Vega de Valcarce-O Cebreiro. That was plenty long enough for us, but everyone is different and some love the longer days.

Whatever you decide, I would strongly recommend you do not take the tarmac way to O Cebreiro. It's not just the hard surface, but I find the close, fast and constant vehicle traffic to be the scariest thing of all. I did this 17 years ago (from Villafranco de Bierzo) so I don't know if the route I took is the one currently called Pradela or not. I don't think it was the Dragonete, though. But regardless, staying off the road and going over the mountains is truly worth the effort. It was my most difficult day on the Camino perhaps, aside from the 1st day over the Napolean, but it was by far one of my most magical and fondly remembered days.

I may be biased though. It was my first truly solo day, as I had temporarily lost my camino family for assorted reasons, and everyone else chose the road route. I chose to ignore my fears of the mountain route's difficulty and of going it alone. After the first lung busting climb, I traversed the beautiful, peaceful chestnut groves where the first gentle snow started falling. It was so quiet and lovely. A bit later, I was briefly courted by a local farmer. He charmed me by introducing me to both the newborn calf in his barn and his mother. He then walked with me a ways, collecting fallen chestnuts I later roasted at the albergue, and he sadly wished me well when I gently turned down his proposal of marriage.

A while later, the snow fall got heavier and I lost the trail, so wandered off along what I assumed to be tractor ruts, hoping I'd just end up somewhere with a roof. Just as I was starting to worry a bit, Jesus of Ave Fenix came careening, driving at breakneck speed up from behind me with my injured hippie friend Indigo hanging out the window screaming get out of the way, he can't stop, he has no brakes, see you there. I crawled out of the (apparently roadside) snow drift relieved to be alive for another day.

Don't be afraid. Walk into the mountains, friend. It's where the magic happens.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whatever you decide, I would strongly recommend you do not take the tarmac way to O Cebreiro. It's not just the hard surface, but I find the close, fast and constant vehicle traffic to be the scariest thing of all. I did this 17 years ago (from Villafranco de Bierzo) so I don't know if the route I took is the one currently called Pradela or not. I don't think it was the Dragonete, though. But regardless, staying off the road and going over the mountains is truly worth the effort. It was my most difficult day on the Camino perhaps, aside from the 1st day over the Napolean, but it was by far one of my most magical and fondly remembered days.

I may be biased though. It was my first truly solo day, as I had temporarily lost my camino family for assorted reasons, and everyone else chose the road route. I chose to ignore my fears of the mountain route's difficulty and of going it alone. After the first lung busting climb, I traversed the beautiful, peaceful chestnut groves where the first gentle snow started falling. It was so quiet and lovely. A bit later, I was briefly courted by a local farmer. He charmed me by introducing me to both the newborn calf in his barn and his mother. He then walked with me a ways, collecting fallen chestnuts I later roasted at the albergue, and he sadly wished me well when I gently turned down his proposal of marriage.

A while later, the snow fall got heavier and I lost the trail, so wandered off along what I assumed to be tractor ruts, hoping I'd just end up somewhere with a roof. Just as I was starting to worry a bit, Jesus of Ave Fenix came careening, driving at breakneck speed up from behind me with my injured hippie friend Indigo hanging out the window screaming get out of the way, he can't stop, he has no brakes, see you there. I crawled out of the (apparently roadside) snow drift relieved to be alive for another day.

Omg. You've totally talked me into the Pradela route based on this marvelous story alone. :D I'm in.

And thanks to everyone else, as well. I'll break up the stages. I wasn't trying to follow anyone else's stages. Just was wondering, as I dream. 12 days out.

I agree with the above posts.
I don't remember anything particularly difficult about this stretch, but I didn't do it in one day.

I have always managed to avoid going up to O Cebreiro at the end of a long day, and therefore didn't find it particularly hard at all.

the alt route from Villafranca called the Pradela
Yes, I did that in March 2016 and enjoyed it. Don't let the warnings and name "Camino Duro" put you off. The hardest part is the first kilometre or so out of Villafranca. I was walking with someone, and we did have trouble finding the path down from the top, but we were enjoying ourselves (probably not paying attention to arrows) and never worried, since we could SEE a local road, as well as the highway and the inspiring sign of cerveza Estella Galicia down below. It just required some wandering among the chestnut trees! That is another good reason for not trying to go all the way from Villafranca to O Cebreiro in one day, so you are not feeling pressed for time!

Attachments

• 20160326_102405.jpg
    20160326_102405.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 33
I find the close, fast and constant vehicle traffic to be the scariest thing of all. I did this 17 years ago (from Villafranco de Bierzo) so I don't know if the route I took is the one currently called Pradela or not.
I think things might have changed a lot since then. The middle route that goes roughly along the "highway" is not scary at all now, because a newer bigger elevated highway has taken away most of the traffic. The camino goes along beside a road that isn't used heavily, and the path is separated from the road, by a barrier. I've done it twice and thought it was a pleasant walk, and that would be my choice if I was planning a long day ahead. However, if you have the time and want more quiet, take the right hand route (Pradela).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Whatever you decide, I would strongly recommend you do not take the tarmac way to O Cebreiro. It's not just the hard surface, but I find the close, fast and constant vehicle traffic to be the scariest thing of all. I did this 17 years ago (from Villafranco de Bierzo)

@fenix you may be pleased to hear that road route has been made much safer by the construction of a concrete barrier between you and the traffic for most of the way along the valley, plus the new highway has taken most of said traffic away. I found it a very pleasant walk by the river on a hot day, shade and all. But it sounds as though you had a wonderful day on the other route, so you got the best of it anyway!!

1. I walked the Pradela route out of Villafranca to where it meets back with the center route. Then walked on to Ocebrio. If I return to that I would not do it again. Primarily because you climb a mountain then loose all the elevation back down then you still have Ocebrio to climb back up. For that matter I would simply slow down & stay at a very nice alburgue at the Herreris bridge. Then go up & over Ocebrio to one of the small villages on the other side. It is very beautifull country.
  2. Mark makes a very good point everyone's walk is unique to them, so pre-planning takes a bit of stubborn resolve. I met only one person with that resolve.

I walked from VILLA FRANCA DEL BIERZO to HERRERIAS and the next day up to O'Ceibreo and stopping in FONFRIA for the night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think things might have changed a lot since then. The middle route that goes roughly along the "highway" is not scary at all now, because a newer bigger elevated highway has taken away most of the traffic. The camino goes along beside a road that isn't used heavily, and the path is separated from the road, by a barrier. I've done it twice and thought it was a pleasant walk, and that would be my choice if I was planning a long day ahead. However, if you have the time and want more quiet, take the right hand route (Pradela).

@fenix you may be pleased to hear that road route has been made much safer by the construction of a concrete barrier between you and the traffic for most of the way along the valley, plus the new highway has taken most of said traffic away. I found it a very pleasant walk by the river on a hot day, shade and all. But it sounds as though you had a wonderful day on the other route, so you got the best of it anyway!!

That's a relief to hear about the improvements! Back then, I thought that road route looked incredibly dangerous. I saw others slogging off in the sleet along a highway shoulder with cars whizzing by just inches away, and I had no regrets for taking the right-hand path.

My heart still always draws me into the mountains! And a little piece of me still wonders how my life would have turned out as a Spanish farmer's wife. :)

Sounds like there are a lot more options accommodations-wise for breaking up the stages too. I don't recall having the choice at the time to do anything other than walk from Villafranco to O Cebreiro in one shot. No memory of the actual number of kilometers I walked that day.

Molinaseca to Villafranca Del Bierzo / Villafranca to O Cebriero

Both of these are over 15 miles. How hard are they?And has anyone taken the alt route from Villafranca called the Pradela? It's listed as an alternative to the regular or the Dragonte in Brierly and it sounds nice. If you have taken this, how hard is it?

Hola - again some good advice. One small question - you do not say where you are commencing your camino. If its from Astorga then yes you are advised to split the longer stages as you and your body adapt to the Camino. If this stage comes along after 14 or 20 days then you will be a lot more "camino fit" and may be able to complete the longer stages. That said I remember this stage as something that wanted an extra day or so to explore these villages - I arrived at Camponaraya during market day (a Monday if I recall correctly) - lots of fresh & cooked meal options; Cacabelos has some great wineries - I bought a bottle of red (vino tinto!). Pieros about 4 km (2. miles) from Cacabelos is a great stopping point. I met a fellow pilgrim who had volunteered as a hospitalero last week-end. Your next day, weather permitting, is a good chance to get away from the cars & Trabadelo (Casa Suzi - newly opened) would be a suitable stopping off point; which then leaves 18 km (10-11 miles) to O Cebriero which has a lot of up hill. Good luck!

In 2004 we walked 34 kms to O Cebreiro in the company of our 8-year-old. That was the only day we've ever sent our backpacks by taxi, and we were quite happy to do so.

It is not a hard day in itself, if you take plenty of breaks, and drink enough water, and take the time you need - and, of course, provided it's not one of the first days you walk, before your body has stopped complaining and started enjoying itself!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No way will you get one definitive opinion on the difficulty of any section of the Camino.
I recommend just getting there, start walking and then forming your own opinions. ;)
ultreia
Absolutely. We're all different ages, have different levels of fitness, health, experience ... Some of us like walking long stages, some do not. What is easy for me might be very demanding for you or vice-versa.
Ultreia!

Personal choice but I would always do the road route. I walked it in late 2015 and enjoyed it. Large parts of the path followed a beautiful river and passed through several gorgeous little villages. There was nice scenery and very few cars beyond a sturdy concrete barrier. Plus there were numerous opportunities for breakfast, morning tea, and lunch stops.
Two of my travel companions took the Pradela route and had a long hard day. Steep inclines and declines, no services, and a large part of the mountain had recently been decimated by a wildfire so it was not pleasant walking.

Acebo - Molinaseca to Ponferrada and night stop at Camponaraya (someone imagined Camponaraya albergue was in P0nferrada, oh dear!) From there via Cacabelos to Villafranca. Next day a very short day only to Trabadelo and then up to La Faba. Following day up to O'Cebriero and on to Fonfria. After that don't miss Samos, a beautiful walk and well worth a short detour.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

And has anyone taken the alt route from Villafranca called the Pradela? It's listed as an alternative to the regular or the Dragonte in Brierly and it sounds nice. If you have taken this, how hard is it?

Easy. Done it in 2 days in 2000. In 2001 trekked molinascea to Triacastle in 3 days. Did not do alternative route. I was younger then Buen camino

We left Villafranca in the morning taking the Pradela, the first right after the bridge heading uphill. We liked it and the views. Part of the view was of the town of Villafranca itself and another part was of the highway down in the valley that the camino followed. It is steep but remember that you have had three weeks of hiking behind you by this time so it shouldn't be dificult for you. There is very little activity going on up there but we did chat with a woman cutting brush in a chestnut grove. We only went as far as La Portela de Valcare though for something like a 15 km / 9.5 mile day.

Bring lots of extra water especially if you are doing the Pradela in the afternoon. You are going to need it more than if hiking the shaded lowland route and there is no water until you have descended to Trabadelo. Peg got to the fountain there before I did and guzzled about a half liter before handing me the rest of the bottle saying "Its wonderful! Want some?" I took the bottle and poured the water out and said "No" while pointing to the sign that said "Water purity not guaranteed." Peg had been laid up for days earlier on the camino with food poisoning and she was worrying all doing our lunch stop until she saw a local woman get a bottle from the fountain. We talked with her and found out that the water was fine. Apparently the sign was up because the town didn't want to pay for periodic water testing and putting up the sign was the only legal thing they could do.

Villafranca.jpg Pradela.jpg

Edit: As for the stages you mentioned being too long we can't say much as we took two days for each anyway because of a foot injury.

Last edited:
Some of the Frances is hard but worthwhile. We walked last winter snow, rain, sleet and ice and some steep hills. I am a heavier person and steep gets to me sometimes. I developed my philosophy,"It is only steep until you reach the top". It was always worth the effort. we planning our next Camino in the fall of 18.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Eve:

I would not worry about these sections.

By the time you get to these sections, your body will be in Camino shape. I am not saying these days can not present some challenges but you will be well prepared physically to handle them.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From Astorga to Santiago we took 18 days while it is 12 in Brierley's guide.

I'm thinking Brierly's may be less than 12. I just counted. I've got 12 days tentatively planned and I don't have any day longer than 15 miles, most around 12-13 miles.

Astorga to Rabanal
to Molinaseca
to Cacabelos
to Trabadelo
to O Cebriero
to Triacastela
to Sarria
to Portomarin
to Pala de Rei
to Ribadiso
to Pedrouzo
to Santiago

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm thinking Brierly's may be less than 12. I just counted. I've got 12 days tentatively planned and I don't have any day longer than 15 miles, most around 12-13 miles.

Astorga to Rabanal
to Molinaseca
to Cacabelos
to Trabadelo
to O Cebriero
to Triacastela
to Sarria
to Portomarin
to Pala de Rei
to Ribadiso
to Pedrouzo
to Santiago

Eve:

Planning, imo, is moot. By this part of the Camino you will probably be making decisions based on your Camino friendships.

Weather also plays a part in the length of your day. If it is too hot, you might not walk as far. A very rainy day, especially if (muddy) might lead to a change in your plans. A beautiful day might lead to a longer walk.

As long as you do not have any restrictive time constraints, I would not plan at all.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Eve:

Planning, imo, is moot. By this part of the Camino you will probably be making decisions based on your Camino friendships.

Weather also plays a part in the length of your day. If it is too hot, you might not walk as far. A very rainy day, especially in an area leading up to Astorga or Hontanas (muddy) might lead to a change in your plans. A beautiful day might lead to a longer walk.

As long as you do not have any restrictive time restraints, I would not plane at all.

Ultreya,
Joe
Eve is starting in Astorga...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Astorga to Rabanal
to Molinaseca
to Cacabelos
to Trabadelo
to O Cebriero
to Triacastela
to Sarria
to Portomarin
to Pala de Rei
to Ribadiso
to Pedrouzo
to Santiago
Looks like it will work out Ocebrio to Tricastle was a long walk due to some asphalt walking the last 3rd. I will look at my book when I get home...

Eve, When I left the albergue or convent or donativo every morning I'd look at the Brierleys and kinda sorta figure out where I'd wind up that night. You never know what you will see, who you will meet, and where you will rest. I walked in faith, and you know, it worked out. I had a bed every night, a meal and a whole new group of friends to tell my two jokes to.
I walk slow, so I was usually alone.
Trust. Walk. Smile. There are miracles happening all around you. Don't overthink it. You'll be great! You got this!

Second that.... Don't plan AND if you are using Brierly's, the only thing it's good for is starting fires or toilet paper.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Love it!

Hi not sure of the mile conversion, weare walking from Leon.
Day 1 Leon to Villadangos del Paramo (22km)
Day 2 Villadangos to Astorga (26km)
day 3 Astorga to Rabanal (19 km)
Day 4 Rabanal to Molinasaca (25km)
Day 5 Molinasaca to Villafranca (30km)
Day 6 rest day
Day 7 to O'Cebrerio (28km)

Etc till we arrive in Santiago de Compostela.

Would love to have the time to go slower, stop when we want/need
but can't be done.

I approach long distance hiking a lot differently than say a trip 2-7 days. Primarily because trying to get a certain distance or to a specific place becomes less important, as the personal journey becomes the uncertain discovery.
That said whatever amount of days will end regardless of where I end up. So in my opinion try not to get too wrapped up in schedule.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You listed Day 6 as a rest day. There is the option to walk shorter distances but not take a full rest day. That might work better.
You listed Day 6 as a rest day. There is the option to walk shorter distances but not take a full rest day. That might work better.
This definitely crossing my mind, will see how we are travelling

@Eve Alexandra a maximum day of 15 miles (which is 24 k in real clicks :)) is more than do-able. Heck I did days longer than that, admittedly not often but they did happen. You are young and fit (any young mum with 7 kids is fit) and an experienced bush walker. You'll be fine and you'll love it. Buen camino Eve

Edit: I agree absolutely with @C clearly. A shorter walking day is as good or better than a rest day. It is good to factor in a rest day to have up your sleeve in the event of a medical situation, but God willing you wont need one.

Last edited:

€83,-
Thanks everyone. I'm open to stopping in slightly different places. It just helps me to mentally have an idea of where I'm headed.

Not too long now. I'm so excited!

Molinaseca to Villa franca does not have all that much altitude gain or descend, so not that bad, but it is a long day.

Vilafranca to O Cebriero is a tough day, especially if you take the Pradela route as the start is a very steep uphill climb. Worth it as the views backs towards Villafranca are breath taking.

What I can suggest in your planning is not to get hung up on following the exact stages in your guide book.

We always look at the days and even out the stages that are long or have a lot of elevation gain. You will find by not stopping at the common stage end spots, accomodations are cheaper since they are not official stage end stops.

We are always surprised that people wish to follow the stages exactly as per their guide books. Be a rebel!

This strategy has worked well for us on our three Camino's

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I might be in the minority here, but I didn't find the O Cebreiro stage all that difficult. I did it in the course of a trouble-free Trabadelo to Fonfría leg of 31 km—late July and therefore hot, but a good deal of it under the shade of tall trees. Perhaps by then my body had toughened up, but when I think back, the climb over the Alto del Perdón after Pamplona and that stiff haul up the hill outside Castrojeríz seemed much harder. O Cebreiro is a long climb, but it never gets extremely steep or rough going, so it's possible to maintain a good steady rhythm the entire way along without feeling like one's lungs are bursting.

Molinaseca to Villa franca does not have all that much altitude gain or descend, so not that bad, but it is a long day.

Vilafranca to O Cebriero is a tough day, especially if you take the Pradela route as the start is a very steep uphill climb. Worth it as the views backs towards Villafranca are breath taking.

What I can suggest in your planning is not to get hung up on following the exact stages in your guide book.

We always look at the days and even out the stages that are long or have a lot of elevation gain. You will find by not stopping at the common stage end spots, accomodations are cheaper since they are not official stage end stops.

We are always surprised that people wish to follow the stages exactly as per their guide books. Be a rebel!

I'm not hung up on anyone's stages. :) I built my own stages based on that web site where you can see how many km along the whole way? Planificador I think it's called? I've just been fiddling with the last week or so, and was curious about how hard these sections are. If I could pull off the harder path I might be able to fit Samos in. It's in the back of my head as an option but I'll likely do the less km per day plan. :)

Break the stages so you may enjoy the beauty at your own pace. I try and not think about how hard things are before you get there but how great and energized you feel after walking these trails , so look back and say "I just did that and feel proud"

€83,-
Definitely agree with @nidarosa - no need at all to stick to guide book stages. Both of those would have been far too long for me. We did Acebo-Ponferrada-Villafranca and then Villafranca-Vega de Valcarce-O Cebreiro. That was plenty long enough for us, but everyone is different and some love the longer days.

My husband and I went from Cacabelos to Trabadelo 18 kilometers. When we arrived at Villafranca we decided to go through Pradela, a poor mountain village. We had eaten in Villafranca, which perhaps made we got in from this situation without must collapse. We forgot to fill our plastic water bottles completely full. We walked free from water. It was only upward incline and very, very hot and no trees that we got shade from. When we finally came to the village there was not a man to find. One thing we knew, and it was like we were in our extremity. I cried out to God: now you have to help us. Soon afterwards comes a taxi with passager to village. The taxi made us down to Trabaldeo. But I also want to say that this stretch was something beautiful of it we had gone, it was a nightmare was our mistake. So do not be afraid to walk it, but fills up with water.

Hi not sure of the mile conversion, weare walking from Leon.
Day 1 Leon to Villadangos del Paramo (22km)
Day 2 Villadangos to Astorga (26km)
day 3 Astorga to Rabanal (19 km)
Day 4 Rabanal to Molinasaca (25km)
Day 5 Molinasaca to Villafranca (30km)
Day 6 rest day
Day 7 to O'Cebrerio (28km)

Etc till we arrive in Santiago de Compostela.

Would love to have the time to go slower, stop when we want/need
but can't be done.

Villafranca to O Cebreiro is a piece of cake, a very hard piece of cake. The road option from Villafranca is a long but not so steep an incline up to Trabadelo where I have stopped before. (noticed a new albergue there called SUSI run by an Australian girl). From there up to Herrerios is quite easy. Up to La Faba nearly killed me, boy was it tough. FRom La Faba to O Cebreiro is tough but not as tough as the first part to La Faba. Last camino I missed the trail at Laguna so followed the road up to O Cebreiro and it was not as hard as the trail. Bear in mind though, you are getting advice from a 68 year old so younger pilgrims will find it easier than I did. Cant really help with the options out of Villafranca. My attitude is that there are enough hills you cant avoid without taking ones you dont have to :)

We stayed at FRADE in O'Cebreiro and it was so nice. It was a beautiful stone building, it felt like a private home and was a perfect stop for us.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Eve Alexandra - if you don't have a guidebook or one without elevation profiles, it could be worth looking at the simple one-sheet printable CF planner for an overview of the ups and downs along the way, making it easier to put more kms in on the flat and fewer in the hills. And @trecile - O Ceb is definitely a good place to splash out for a private room and see the sun go down and up again over the village.

@Eve Alexandra - if you don't have a guidebook or one without elevation profiles, it could be worth looking at the simple one-sheet printable CF planner for an overview of the ups and downs along the way, making it easier to put more kms in on the flat and fewer in the hills. And @trecile - O Ceb is definitely a good place to splash out for a private room and see the sun go down and up again over the village.

Thank you! And why is O Ceb an especially good place to spring for a private room?

Because the village itself is so special and unusual, with the round houses etc, and because it is so high up on a hill with beautiful views of the landscape (not to mention sitting in front of the fire at Venta Celta with a bowl of Caldo Gallego). I have not stayed at the albergue but I have stayed many times at O Cebreiro and enjoyed walking around the tiny place, seeing the sunset and walking off at sunrise. Then again I am biased; the walk up to O Cebreiro is one of my favourite parts of the CF and I can't wait to walk it again late March!

O Cebreiro in sunshine, rain, or snow is for me always a most special place.

This is another mystic and mythic stop on the Camino. During the middle ages due to the strong faith of one simple parishioner the wine and bread of the mass are said to have truly changed into Christ's blood and flesh. The church became famous and royalty sent priceless gifts. Today this small church is kept immaculate; it and the tiny village form a protected historic site.

Be sure to stop at the tomb of Elias Valinas Sampedro, the local priest who late last century revitalized the ideas of the camino with its network of supporting albergues and even painted the now famous first yellow arrows which mark our way. Read more about him and O Cebreiro in this Spanish link.

...Never underestimate the strength of personal conviction!

Last edited:
O Cebreiro in sunshine, rain, or snow it is for me always a most special place.

This is another mystic and mythic stop on the Camino. During the middle ages due to the strong faith of one simple parishioner the wine and bread of the mass are said to have truly changed into Christ's blood and flesh. The church became famous and royalty sent priceless gifts. Today this small church is kept immaculate; it and the tiny village form a protected historic site.

Be sure to stop at the tomb of Elias Valinas Sampedro, the local priest who late last century revitalized the ideas of the camino with its network of supporting albergues and even painted the now famous first yellow arrows which mark our way. Read more about him and O Cebreiro in this Spanish link.

...Never underestimate the strength of personal conviction!

It's because of the miracle that I'm planning on stopping overnight in O Ceb. I really want to go to mass here. I am waffling between staying at the mun. albergue or treating myself to the hotel that is apparently right next door to the parish. Huge difference in cost. But I also want to be close to the church.

first one is very doable, fairly flat and if you do not linger in Ponferrada, you should be fine. That said, lingering in Ponferrada (and Cacabelos) is kind of nice. Assuming you are not starting in Molinaseca, you may have had a fairly 'rough' day the day before, coming off the mountains (it's a very long descent from Foncebadón and/or El Acebo), so perhaps you may want to take it a bit easier.

second one is also doable, but you most of us are too tired/exhausted by the end of the stage to appreciate the beauty of the climb to O Cebreiro. In my opinion, tackle the O Cebreiro climb fresh and enjoy it, it is one of the more spectacular stages you will do.

Good luck and Buen Camino

It's because of the miracle that I'm planning on stopping overnight in O Ceb. I really want to go to mass here. I am waffling between staying at the mun. albergue or treating myself to the hotel that is apparently right next door to the parish. Huge difference in cost. But I also want to be close to the church.

I envy you your future first-time visit to O Cebreiro!

Be sure to check out the comments on O Cebreiro spots in these two earlier Forum threads on accommodation and hostels-hotels.

Adjacent to the church the original pilgrim refuge which was later called the San Giraldo de Aurillac is now the Hotel Cebreiro. This is run by the family of the late Don Elias Valina Sampedro.

The Valina family also run a separate bar/restaurant next to the church and serve a very good menu de dia. Above that bar are additional guest rooms with baths. ...2004 on my first camino I was VERY ill when staggering up to O Cebreiro and into their bar. Luckily a room was available and I happily spent two nights in clean, cozy HEATED comfort. What bliss!

Good luck with your plans and Buen camino

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I envy you your future first-time visit to O Cebreiro!

Be sure to check out the comments on O Cebreiro spots in these two earlier Forum threads on accommodation and hostels-hotels.

Adjacent to the church the original pilgrim refuge which was later called the San Giraldo de Aurillac is now the Hotel Cebreiro. This is run by the family of the late Don Elias Valina Sampedro.

The Valina family also run a separate bar/restaurant next to the church and serve a very good menu de dia. Above that bar are additional guest rooms with baths. ...2004 on my first camino I was VERY ill when staggering up to O Cebreiro and into their bar. Luckily a room was available and I happily spent two nights in clean, cozy HEATED comfort. What bliss!

Good luck with your plans and Buen camino

Thank you! Great threads to read through. I think I may just splurge on Hotel Cebriero.

I wish I had thought of this earlier but there are formulas that give an approximation of how much time to add to a walk to account for the extra effort needed for climbs and steep downhills. Brierley's guide has the following for the Villafranca to O'Cebreiro stage:

For the route along the highway he has a distance of 28.9 km with an equivalent distance of 33.4 km and this means that it will take about 16% longer than the time it would take you to do 28.9 km of level walking. At a non-leisurely walking speed of 5 kph this amounts to 5 hours and 47 minutes versus 6 hours and 41 minutes.

If using the Pradela route he has a distance of 30.1 km with an equivalent distance of 36.1 km and this means that it will take about 20% longer than the time it would take you to do 30.1 km of level walking. At a non-leisurely walking speed of 5 kph this amounts to 6 hours and 1 minute versus 7 hours and 13 minutes.

Whatever path you take and how long it takes you have a buen camino.

I wish I had thought of this earlier but there are formulas that give an approximation of how much time to add to a walk to account for the extra effort needed for climbs and steep downhills. Brierley's guide has the following for the Villafranca to O'Cebreiro stage:

For the route along the highway he has a distance of 28.9 km with an equivalent distance of 33.4 km and this means that it will take about 16% longer than the time it would take you to do 28.9 km of level walking. At a non-leisurely walking speed of 5 kph this amounts to 5 hours and 47 minutes versus 6 hours and 41 minutes.

If using the Pradela route he has a distance of 30.1 km with an equivalent distance of 36.1 km and this means that it will take about 20% longer than the time it would take you to do 30.1 km of level walking. At a non-leisurely walking speed of 5 kph this amounts to 6 hours and 1 minute versus 7 hours and 13 minutes.

Whatever path you take and how long it takes you have a buen camino.

This is really helpful. Thank you!

I'm going to wait and see how I feel. I put notes for 2 different tentative stages on my phone. The harder one means I get to see Samos. The easier one I don't have to ever walk more than 20-25km a day, but no Samos. I'm fine with either. I'm starting to finally get that "wait and see" vibe all the experienced Camino people seem to advocate.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you! Great threads to read through. I think I may just splurge on Hotel Cebriero.
When I visited last May, that Hotel seemed to be the only place in town that had WIFI, if that's important to you. In fact, no one would give me the Hotel's WIFI password until after I'd spent €40 at the local store (I was staying st a different place)!

When I visited last May, that Hotel seemed to be the only place in town that had WIFI, if that's important to you. In fact, no one would give me the Hotel's WIFI password until after I'd spent €40 at the local store (I was staying st a different place)!

Hmmm. It's actually super important to me. I have a big family at home waiting to hear from me every night. Hotel Ceb it is!

Everything is close in O'Cebreiro which is a lovely little village but if wifi is important then what a fantastic reason to treat yourself to a little luxury.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How did your camino go, @Eve Alexandra? I don't see any posts from you since you went (unless I've missed something, as I was away too) and am wondering how you found it.
She posted quite often on the Camigas page on Facebook, and it sounds like she had a wonderful time, with plenty of spring (read wildly variable) weather.

No way will you get one definitive opinion on the difficulty of any section of the Camino.
I recommend just getting there, start walking and then forming your own opinions. ;)
ultreia

Well said, Mark!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.