• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Hard is El Norte Really..?

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk in sept/oct 2016
Hi everyone!

I've heard a lot about the challenging nature of the North Way and the long stretches (30km or more sometimes) between albergues. Can those how have done it please share your experience? I am relatively fit. I walked the Camino Frances this fall with relative ease and walked anywhere from 15-30km a day depending on how I felt. The idea of pushing myself past my comfort level each day to make it to a bed is not appealing and yet the nature and views on this trail sound unmatched!

Thank you so much for details on how difficult the trail felt and how you dealt with hostels being spaced apart at great distances.

Much appreciated : )

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Back in 2007 when I first beard of the Norte there were 30+ etapas, but not anymore. There are ways to walk in the low to mid-twenties, at least in September which is when I walked.

The Norte is busiest July and August, bit enoughalbergues open June-October.

And while it has hills, they are no worse than those on the Frances. The first dY, like on the Frances, is the toughest, starting in Irun, but can be broken up in two stages.

I walked from San Sebastian to Llanes and the views are spectacular.

The first six days are the hardest, and the most beautiful, but eminently doable (I suggest taking the alternate GR red-white marked trail into Deba, and whenever the regular camino heads inland). The only really hard part of the Norte is literally the 'hard' part - tons of asphalt. I don't know what the official figures are, but I am sure it is, in reality, 70 percent, at least between Bilbao and Galicia. It is a very doable walk, and probably the most beautiful that I've been on (though the Via de la Plata may be tied with it, but very different, as it is an inland walk). Other than the asphalt, you will love it, and depending on the time of year you walk it, it will be much more social than most of the caminos, but just the right kind of social - not a mob scene like the Frances is reputed to be (though in my experience it was not nearly as bad as some say). Certainly more people on the Norte - and a younger crowd to boot - than, say, on the Via de la Plata or the Portugues between Lisboa and Porto. You also have the option to continue on the Primitivo or continue along the coast a bit farther. Either way, you can't go wrong.

In short - go for it, and don't be afraid to walk the parallel, but often nicer, GR or E9 along the way!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
I walked the Norte/Primitivo in September this year. The contrast between the coastal Norte in its initial stages and the Primitivo up to the point where it merged with the Frances made the journey a memorable one. I did enjoy the scenic Basque country , Bilbao is well worth a day as a stop over - The Guggenheim Centre is spectacular. Although I did not have any major problem with finding somewhere to stay the night I did make full use of my bivvy bag. In particular the stage between Tineo and Montefurado via Hospital route the fact that I was safely able to sleep rough made the day manageable and enjoyable. One word of caution I used the Cicerone Guide (second edition 2015) and it was already out of date and inaccurate in places. I should have down loaded apps/maps onto my smart phone as this would have given up to date info. That said both routes as I followed them were well enough marked though not to the same degree as the Frances.
Buen Camino.
Don.

Hi everyone!

I've heard a lot about the challenging nature of the North Way and the long stretches (30km or more sometimes) between albergues. Can those how have done it please share your experience? I am relatively fit. I walked the Camino Frances this fall with relative ease and walked anywhere from 15-30km a day depending on how I felt. The idea of pushing myself past my comfort level each day to make it to a bed is not appealing and yet the nature and views on this trail sound unmatched!

Thank you so much for details on how difficult the trail felt and how you dealt with hostels being spaced apart at great distances.

SSIMW:

Everything is relative. I believe the Norte is, day in and out, the most challenging of the Camino's.

That said, it is very doable by anyone and well worth the effort. There is more hard surface walking and the infrastructure is not as frequent as the CF. The food is great and there are some really nice Albergues.

I suggest you read through the thread and gather as much intel as possible before deciding. There are also several good guides and a number of days there are alternate route options. This might be the best Camino, imo.

Ultreya,
Joe

I (almost) totally agree with Joe--"the most challenging, but might be the best yet." I don't agree that it is doable by anyone, but it certainly sounds like it would be a good choice for you because you are fit and used to distances. We had no problem finding accommodations, but we do not always stay in the pilgrim albergues.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I (almost) totally agree with Joe--"the most challenging, but might be the best yet." I don't agree that it is doable by anyone, but it certainly sounds like it would be a good choice for you because you are fit and used to distances. We had no problem finding accommodations, but we do not always stay in the pilgrim albergues.

I think it is doable by anyone. I am mid-40's and not fit, but I had an amazing time doing my 2 northern caminos. I have nothing to compare it to as I have only done the Norte. We did what we like to call a Casual Camino - under 20km a day. That way there was lots of time and energy for wandering around the village when we arrived. We definitely stayed in a variety of accommodations, including the amazing Posada la Victoria a day's walk from Santander, (http://www.posadalavictoria.es/) and in one town a local gymnasium, up in the workout balcony. We stayed in many youth hostels when there was no albergue open, but it was a fun and gorgeous ocean view camino!

Most of the posters have hit on the essential points but here are a few extra items to keep in mind (have done Irun-Gijon);
Although there is more asphalt on the Norte, it didn't bother me until Cantabria where it seemed almost 100% hard surfaces. If it weren't for the AMAZING coastal views it would definitely have been a turn-off.

Take the coastal deviations whenever possible, often longer but once again Asturias spectacular views and many cases avoiding asphalt.

The last point has not been mentioned in this thread. IMHO there is no "Camino feel" to the Norte. Saying this, I would still do it again and hope to finish the last bit from Gijón onwards.

Cheers
LT

I walked from Irun to SDC on the Norte, carrying a heavier than normal pack (with tent and equipment), without any problems. I did not find it any more difficult than the other routes I have walked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most of the posters have hit on the essential points but here are a few extra items to keep in mind (have done Irun-Gijon);
Although there is more asphalt on the Norte, it didn't bother me until Cantabria where it seemed almost 100% hard surfaces. If it weren't for the AMAZING coastal views it would definitely have been a turn-off.

Take the coastal deviations whenever possible, often longer but once again Asturias spectacular views and many cases avoiding asphalt.

The last point has not been mentioned in this thread. IMHO there is no "Camino feel" to the Norte. Saying this, I would still do it again and hope to finish the last bit from Gijón onwards.

Cheers
LT

LT;

Can you define what you mean by "Camino feel"? Each Camino I have walked has been different and I know you have walked many. Just Curious as to what no Camino feel is to you.

Ultreya,
Joe

I am guessing "Camino feel" refers to the social aspect of the Frances, where strangers sll lf a sudden seem to think of each lther as family members or bffs. On the non Frances routes it's more about walking rather than about who you may meet. Also less pilgrim masses and blessings, in fact difficult to find an open chirch and service.

About walking on hard surfaces, may I say what a blessing the Norte is because it does not have you walking on crooked and inclined tractor tracks in fields, let alone inches of mud sucking your feet in. Happy feet, happy ankles, happy knees. I cannot stand walking on tractor tracks.

I am guessing "Camino feel" refers to the social aspect of the Frances, where strangers sll lf a sudden seem to think of each lther as family members or bffs. On the non Frances routes it's more about walking rather than about who you may meet. Also less pilgrim masses and blessings, in fact difficult to find an open chirch and service.

About walking on hard surfaces, may I say what a blessing the Norte is because it does not have you walking on crooked and inclined tractor tracks in fields, let alone inches of mud sucking your feet in. Happy feet, happy ankles, happy knees. I cannot stand walking on tractor tracks.

I also found it delightful not to walk through hillocks of cow poo. I only found it difficult to find open churches and evening masses from Avilés on, and particularly in Galicia. My experience was that I could count on an evening mass every 2d or 3d night on the earlier and middle part of the del Norte. While I found fewer dramatic friendships or extraordinary stories on the del Norte, they were still there, and I made several good friends along that route. Those who stayed in the albergues doubtless bonded much more (I'm a private bathroom kind of guy) than I did. I still get Xmas cards from a Slovenian spaniel I met five years ago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also found it delightful not to walk through hillocks of cow poo. I only found it difficult to find open churches and evening masses from Avilés on, and particularly in Galicia. My experience was that I could count on an evening mass every 2d or 3d night on the earlier and middle part of the del Norte. While I found fewer dramatic friendships or extraordinary stories on the del Norte, they were still there, and I made several good friends along that route. Those who stayed in the albergues doubtless bonded much more (I'm a private bathroom kind of guy) than I did. I still get Xmas cards from a Slovenian spaniel I met five years ago.

You met a dog with opposable thumbs that can write? Wow. That is the best Camino story EVER!!!

I just did it with five of my six children and I think we rested in Bilboa which was also my rest place when I did it alone almost three years ago. The hardest part is the first few days but I wouldn't miss those days for anything ...
We had Le Puy and eight days in the Pyrenees behind us when we started the Norte so even the first few days were not as bad as when I did it Ali e starting in Hendaye.
Our blog is shefollowsshells.blogspot.com and I shared our stopping points.

I am 73 and did Irun ,leaving on the 2nd,to Santander with my daughter September 2016. It is incredibly beautiful but also challenging in several places. The hardest days were walking on asphalt with +35 C temperatures. Recommendations:
- don't go in July, August start 2nd or 3rd week in September
-Take days off in San Sebastian and Bilbao
- take the coastal route to Getaria and stay there overnight
- go swimming in the ocean,every town has the most beautiful beaches.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I went through the same dilema. Chose the Norte and experienced the best Camino ever. I would say the Norte is harder than cf in the sense that you will have about 500-600 meter elevation gain every day before Bilbao and then through the Primitive. The rest of the walk would be similar to the cf except with stunning views... highly recommend you do the Primitivo.

I am 55+ and overweight not in the best shape. This would be lot easier for you. I staged between 20-25 km per day. You can see my stages here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...of-norte-primitivo-may-25-june-27-2014.27811/

Last edited:
We walked this year in May Norte to Primitivo. The first week in Pais Vasco is hard but cannot be missed. We were in hotels and if you have accommodation flexibility some of the long stages can be broken up easily. In May cheap accommodation abounds.

We were 49 and in reasonable shape. Planning to go back in 2018 and redo Basque portion - because it was first weeks most of my bad decisions were concentrated there and would like a redo. Good luck!

My blog that follows our walk:
https://caminonorte2016.wordpress.com/author/isenegger/

Hi everyone!

Go for it- the norte (&primitivo) are so beautiful!!! I am an experienced walker but didnt train at all before starting the Norte and I wasnt in a good conditions at all- so took it easy in the beginning and everything went fine with some small hurdles and many lovely surprises! I loved this route so much- especially the first part in the Basque county! Hope you will enjoy- but surely you will and even if you dont make it- which I dont think will the case at all- then what? Buen camino!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone!

Not too hard except for: My issue was that although most of my body was easily fit enough to walk up and down regularly for longish distances (much more frequent up and down than all other Caminos I have walked), my ankles weren't in the best condition, they have obviously aged a bit.

You need to be careful of ankle tendonitis. It is easy to overdo the ankles if they aren't familiar with frequent climbing and are sufficiently stretched to accommodate the additional repetitive flexing whilst climbing. Tendonitis can force you to abandon the walk.

My suggestion is to walk slowly on the hills so as to keep the load on the tendons lower, for, say, the first week if your achilles aren't hill-fit. Physiotherapists are likely to give you better advice :).

Albergue spacing OK if the occasional 30+km is OK. I met a couple who had a great walk the whole way with a limit of 18-20 km / day, by occasionally taking a bus or taxi for 5 km or so when there was no sufficiently close Alberque. Better than not doing it all.

A great walk. Getting more popular so getting a bed is not always possible although a good albergue will suggest fall back options.

Hi everyone!

I did the Norte from Bilbao to Santiago this past Sept/Oct and like some of the others I felt the walking on the hard surfaces was the hard part. I didn't find the trail from Bilbao on to be any harder than the Frances or Portuguese. I was 66 at the time & went solo. I stay in private accommodations and did make minor distance adjustments by taxi or train or bus a few times to avoid the 30K days or to skip a couple of sections away from the coast. The Norte is a incredible experience!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone!

My husband and I walked from San Sebastian to SdC and onto Finisterre and Muxia in May/June 2015. It was our second Camino after doing the Frances in 2013. It was beautiful and we had a fabulous time. We started the Norte with minimal training as I had been injured. We took it easy and kept the k's down as best we could in the early days. There are new Albergues opening up all the time and there is also alternative accommodation if you need to keep the mileage down at any stage.
There is also the option of some public transport if you get into any real injury issues.
Buen Camino

I walked from Irun to SDC on the Norte, carrying a heavier than normal pack (with tent and equipment), without any problems. I did not find it any more difficult than the other routes I have walked.
Hi Kanga, there is a lot of talk of hard surfaces. Does this mean walking on the hwy as opposed to country lanes like the Francis.

@Silverbarista mainly, I think, it is that there are some hard surfaced (concrete) footpaths leading into and out of the towns, along the foreshores, and a bit of road walking. But mixed with more natural surfaces.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi everyone!

I am planning to walk the Camino Norte around late April and May. From what I can see, there are four 30km days. I completed the Camino Portugues last year and the distances on this walk should not be a problem. There were several 30 plus km days between Lisbon and Porto. I am going to swing onto the Primitivo after Villviciosa. I am planning on completing the walk in a bit over 5 weeks. Good luck with your Camino. Maybe we will cross paths.

My husband and I walked from San Sebastian to SdC and onto Finisterre and Muxia in May/June 2015. It was our second Camino after doing the Frances in 2013. It was beautiful and we had a fabulous time. We started the Norte with minimal training as I had been injured. We took it easy and kept the k's down as best we could in the early days. There are new Albergues opening up all the time and there is also alternative accommodation if you need to keep the mileage down at any stage.
There is also the option of some public transport if you get into any real injury issues.
Buen Camino
Hi Kay,

I am looking to walk this Camino in the same months, but 2017. I am planning to walk it alone and hopefully then onto Finisterre. Can you let me know how the weather treated you and the ease of finding accommodation along the way? Did you meet other walkers or were you pretty much alone? I enjoy walking alone but would love to have the option of company when it's around, especially in the evenings!
Cheers Rena

We started walking from Irun on the 10th May in 2015. We had a lot of overcast days but only a few of serious constant rain. By the time we got to Galicia it was quite hot.

I only recall one 30km day.

We had no trouble finding accommodation but were not reliant on the albergues. We had planned to camp along the way but did not find that easy. Mostly we stayed in pensions.

We met very few other walkers, and I think that was mainly because we were not staying in albergues. Certainly after the turnoff to the Primitivo the numbers dropped even further.

We started walking from Irun on the 10th May in 2015. We had a lot of overcast days but only a few of serious constant rain. By the time we got to Galicia it was quite hot.

I only recall one 30km day.

We had no trouble finding accommodation but were not reliant on the albergues. We had planned to camp along the way but did not find that easy. Mostly we stayed in pensions.

We met very few other walkers, and I think that was mainly because we were not staying in albergues. Certainly after the turnoff to the Primitivo the numbers dropped even further.
Thank you Kay!

Has anyone traveled the Camino Norte' during Sept -Dec? Are there an adequate number of alburgues open during this time period?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Cheers
LT

I agree with all comments regarding the Norte. I did it late April/May 2016 at age 63. I am relatively fit and although a strenuous trail, found it manageable. The key is taking your time. I don't recall long stretches of asphalt, but I turned off on the Primitivo to experience another terrain. Loved them both although they have less "pilgrim feel" than the Frances, which I'd done the year before. I did have to occassionally deviate to pensiones/hotels to shorten a few of the long stretches, but loved the privacy and now feel like a more spoiled princess! Lol. Hope I can get that pilgrim feeling back on the Frances this Spring when I'll be sharing the dorms almost exclusively. :)

Has anyone traveled the Camino Norte' during Sept -Dec? Are there an adequate number of alburgues open during this time period?

Hi, yes, the albergues are open. If there is no albergue open in town there will be pensions. I walked from 8 Oct to 20 Nov 2016. The places I stayed:

Irun Albergue Capitan Tximista
Pasajes de San Juan Albergue de Peregrinos
San Sebastian A Room In The City (dorm beds in hostel)
Zarautz Albergue Gran Camping
Deba Albergue de Peregrinos
Markina Albergue Pitis
Gernika Youth Hostel
Zamudio Hotel Artea-Errota (looks expensive, but 3 of us shared a triple room for 21 euros each including breakfast)
Portugalete Albergue Bide Ona
Castro Urdiales Pension La Mar (had a rest day - the albergue was open at the far end of town)
Castro Urdiales Pension La Mar
Laredo Albergue Casa Trinidad
Guemes La Cabana del Abuelo Peuto (donativo albergue, including dinner and breakfast)
Santa Cruz Albergue Nimon
Santillana del Mar Hospidaje Santillana (a camino buddy had double-booked hotel rooms so we helped her out by taking the second booking)
Cobreces Posada Las Mananitas (bed and breakfast for 24 euros each)
Comillas Abba Golf Apt (great value – a 3 bedroom apartment for 14 euros each!)
San Vicente Apt Rincon del Puerto (a 2-bedroom for 22 euros each)
Unquera Hotel Canal (a triple room for 16.50 euros each)
Llanes Youth Hostel
Villahormes Albergue Punta Pestana
San Esteban Albergue de Peregrinos
Colunga Hotel Las Vegas (a triple room for 17 euros each)
Villaviciosa Albergue Congreso
Cabuenes Albergue Camping Deva
Aviles Albergue de Peregrinos
Muros Apartment La Flor (a 2-bedroom apartment for 22 euros each)
Soto de Luina Albergue de Peregrinos
Cadavedo Albergue Covi y Peter
Luarca Albergue Villa de Luarca
Navia Pension Cantabrico (a triple room for 15 euros each)
Tol Albergue de Peregrinos
Ribadeo Albergue de Peregrinos
San Xusto Albergue de Peregrinos
Mondonedo Hostal Padornelo (a single room for 24 euros including breakfast)
Gontan Albergue de Peregrinos
Vilalba Albergue de Peregrinos
Baamonde Albergue de Peregrinos
Miraz Albergue O'Abrigo
Sobrado Albergue de Peregrinos
Boimorto Albergue de Peregrinos
Pedrouzo Albergue Cruceiro
Santiago PR 25 de Julio (my favourite pension in Santiago)

Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank You Jill !!!! :)

I say "you hit the nail on the head" with your description of "Camino feel". I couldn't have worded it better!

Hi everyone!

Read our blog: caminowalkaboutnorte.blogspot.com . The Norte was significantly longer walking than the Frances. Mostly on roads.

Im a little confused. I chose the CDN (i guess technically its the CDN & primitivo from what i'm reading) because my goal is to walk mostly solo in the most difficult terrain and on the least amount of paved roads but I'm starting to learn that maybe CDN has A LOT of asphalt...

Heading out in June July from Irun. REALLY want to avoid asphalt. Is it possible for someone to post their route where they found the least amount of asphalt here?

This is my plan but I if there are alternative routes that circumvent paved roads I would love to have detailed suggestions on where to take them. OR if there is a good app (dont want to use my phone too much) or guide book (hoping to avoid extra weight) could someone please direct me.

Muchas gracias
~Ohia

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.49.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.49.41 AM.png
    413 KB · Views: 19
Im a little confused. I chose the CDN (i guess technically its the CDN & primitivo from what i'm reading) because my goal is to walk mostly solo in the most difficult terrain and on the least amount of paved roads but I'm starting to learn that maybe CDN has A LOT of asphalt...

Heading out in June July from Irun. REALLY want to avoid asphalt. Is it possible for someone to post their route where they found the least amount of asphalt here?

This is my plan but I if there are alternative routes that circumvent paved roads I would love to have detailed suggestions on where to take them. OR if there is a good app (dont want to use my phone too much) or guide book (hoping to avoid extra weight) could someone please direct me.

Muchas gracias
~Ohia

Hi, Ohia,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, there is a lot of asphalt on the Norte. I plan to take the off road alternatives wherever I can find them, and I think there are more and more available. This post discusses some of them. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/list-of-coastal-alternatives.43627/

I am not sure I'd say the Norte is the place where you will "walk solo in the most difficult terrain" either. The traffic on the Norte is increasing quite rapidly, but I think you will be able to peel off from the crowds during the day. I hope to be on the Norte in late May, and I will report back!

@Ohia your wishes sound more like the GR10 or GR11 to me (just naming the closest GR's I know). There you have a lot more chance to be solo and to walk in difficult terrain. Are you sure you want to walk a Camino?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, Ohia,
Welcome to the forum. Yes, there is a lot of asphalt on the Norte. I plan to take the off road alternatives wherever I can find them, and I think there are more and more available. This post discusses some of them. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/list-of-coastal-alternatives.43627/

I am not sure I'd say the Norte is the place where you will "walk solo in the most difficult terrain" either. The traffic on the Norte is increasing quite rapidly, but I think you will be able to peel off from the crowds during the day. I hope to be on the Norte in late May, and I will report back!
Thanks, Laurie! This helps a great deal!

I think it is doable by anyone. I am mid-40's and not fit, but I had an amazing time doing my 2 northern caminos. I have nothing to compare it to as I have only done the Norte. We did what we like to call a Casual Camino - under 20km a day. That way there was lots of time and energy for wandering around the village when we arrived. We definitely stayed in a variety of accommodations, including the amazing Posada la Victoria a day's walk from Santander, (http://www.posadalavictoria.es/) and in one town a local gymnasium, up in the workout balcony. We stayed in many youth hostels when there was no albergue open, but it was a fun and gorgeous ocean view camino![/QUOT

Do you need a youth hostel pass to stay in this type of accomodation. When you said you did casual Cameno find it easy to stay in small villages rather than the destinations marked in the guide books ?

Do you need a youth hostel pass to stay in this type of accomodation. When you said you did casual Cameno find it easy to stay in small villages rather than the destinations marked in the guide books ?

No - You don't need a youth hostel pass.

Yes - It was not difficult to find a hostel, albergue or small hotel within 20km of the last sleep place - I would usually plan 1 or 2 days out incase there was a 25km stretch coming up then I could change my plans to break it down into 2 nights. I think I had 2 days under 10 km and 1 day over 20km.

There are apps, websites and a printed list from the albergue in Irun that gives you many options.

Kathy

Hi, yes, the albergues are open. If there is no albergue open in town there will be pensions. I walked from 8 Oct to 20 Nov 2016. The places I stayed:

Irun Albergue Capitan Tximista
Pasajes de San Juan Albergue de Peregrinos
San Sebastian A Room In The City (dorm beds in hostel)
Zarautz Albergue Gran Camping
Deba Albergue de Peregrinos
Markina Albergue Pitis
Gernika Youth Hostel
Zamudio Hotel Artea-Errota (looks expensive, but 3 of us shared a triple room for 21 euros each including breakfast)
Portugalete Albergue Bide Ona
Castro Urdiales Pension La Mar (had a rest day - the albergue was open at the far end of town)
Castro Urdiales Pension La Mar
Laredo Albergue Casa Trinidad
Guemes La Cabana del Abuelo Peuto (donativo albergue, including dinner and breakfast)
Santa Cruz Albergue Nimon
Santillana del Mar Hospidaje Santillana (a camino buddy had double-booked hotel rooms so we helped her out by taking the second booking)
Cobreces Posada Las Mananitas (bed and breakfast for 24 euros each)
Comillas Abba Golf Apt (great value – a 3 bedroom apartment for 14 euros each!)
San Vicente Apt Rincon del Puerto (a 2-bedroom for 22 euros each)
Unquera Hotel Canal (a triple room for 16.50 euros each)
Llanes Youth Hostel
Villahormes Albergue Punta Pestana
San Esteban Albergue de Peregrinos
Colunga Hotel Las Vegas (a triple room for 17 euros each)
Villaviciosa Albergue Congreso
Cabuenes Albergue Camping Deva
Aviles Albergue de Peregrinos
Muros Apartment La Flor (a 2-bedroom apartment for 22 euros each)
Soto de Luina Albergue de Peregrinos
Cadavedo Albergue Covi y Peter
Navia Pension Cantabrico (a triple room for 15 euros each)
Tol Albergue de Peregrinos
Ribadeo Albergue de Peregrinos
San Xusto Albergue de Peregrinos
Mondonedo Hostal Padornelo (a single room for 24 euros including breakfast)
Gontan Albergue de Peregrinos
Vilalba Albergue de Peregrinos
Baamonde Albergue de Peregrinos
Miraz Albergue O'Abrigo
Sobrado Albergue de Peregrinos
Boimorto Albergue de Peregrinos
Pedrouzo Albergue Cruceiro
Santiago PR 25 de Julio (my favourite pension in Santiago)

Jill
Hi Jill! This is a great list! Can you tell me what the weather was like at that time of the year? I am thinking of going during the same time frame, but don't want to be freezing cold or getting rained on every day.
Also, at this time of the year, do you recommend doing the walk with someone else? I was going to do it alone, but am not sure if I will be one of the very few out there! Thank you! Lisa

Hi Jill! This is a great list! Can you tell me what the weather was like at that time of the year? I am thinking of going during the same time frame, but don't want to be freezing cold or getting rained on every day.
Also, at this time of the year, do you recommend doing the walk with someone else? I was going to do it alone, but am not sure if I will be one of the very few out there! Thank you! Lisa

Hi Lisa, I have always found that October is a good month for walking weather-wise. But who knows?

We had a week of rain after Luarca, at the beginning of November.

It was getting very cold in the evenings and mornings by then, and in Luarca I found a Chinese bargain store, where I bought a cheap puffy sleeveless jacket, very lightweight, which is the best thing I have ever bought on any camino. I still use it in winter.

You can walk alone at this time of the year, as we had a “camino family” of about 10 people – the same people staying at the same places every night. Where there was no albergue it was a lot cheaper to share a triple room in an apartment or hotel, but that was the only advantage of walking with someone else.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I realize this is an old thread but no one has suggested the Wise Pilgrim as a source. Micheal has probably been doing his best to update the situation on every Camino during the Covid crisis, but even if it is older version of his guide the maps are brilliant because they include alternative roads even if they aren't the suggested route; and it could be used to avoid paved roads.

Back in 2007 when I first beard of the Norte there were 30+ etapas, but not anymore. There are ways to walk in the low to mid-twenties, at least in September which is when I walked.

The Norte is busiest July and August, bit enoughalbergues open June-October.

And while it has hills, they are no worse than those on the Frances. The first dY, like on the Frances, is the toughest, starting in Irun, but can be broken up in two stages.

I walked from San Sebastian to Llanes and the views are spectacular.
Could you (or anyone) describe the toughness? perhaps to be prepared for it. I plan to walk El Norte in May 2023,

I am planning to walk the Camino Norte around late April and May. From what I can see, there are four 30km days. I completed the Camino Portugues last year and the distances on this walk should not be a problem. There were several 30 plus km days between Lisbon and Porto. I am going to swing onto the Primitivo after Villviciosa. I am planning on completing the walk in a bit over 5 weeks. Good luck with your Camino. Maybe we will cross paths.
How did that Camino go? We plan to walk the Norte April/May. Any advice?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back