• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll How heavy is your backpack?

How heavy was your backpack on your last Camino (without water)

• I don’t know

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Less than 3 kg

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 3-3.9 kg

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 4-4.9 kg

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • 5-5.9 kg

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • 6-6.9 kg

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • 7-7.9 kg

Votes: 34 17.4%
  • 8-8.9 kg

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • 9-9.9 kg

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • 10 kg or more

Votes: 21 10.8%

• Total voters
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Weight is an interesting number but sometimes without seasonal context it can be misleading. My 10-12 kg winter pack would drop to 6-8 kgs in the summer, less if I convince (aka begging) my wife to let me buy one of them fancy ultra light packs.

On your last Camino, how heavy was your backpack without water?

6.5kg for the Via Francigena (& PWC) from London to Rome. Temperature range over the three + months: minus 5deg C (Bourg St Pierre, Switzerland) to 37deg C (Tuscany).
Obviously I didn't camp! 😁 ...but still happy to go for so long & multi-seasons with only 6.5kg although I do tend to carry the same no matter the length of trail.
The biggest advantage of that weight (& less); you can take your pack as carry-on luggage & not risk airlines losing/delaying/damaging it. 👍
👣 🌏

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In 2015 my pack was just under 9 kg but this was because I wasn't just doing the Camino... I did 8 distance walks over 6 months and brought a tent and other gear.

I'm actually bringing the same pack this year for it but with tent and some stuff replaced with drone and some other, slightly lighter stuff.

Last summer on the Norte , I carried 16 kilos. Would have carried more but I'm 72 and those mountains are steep. In summer on the Norte there are more hikers than beds along the way so many walkers carry tents, etc. Usually do not carry water anymore as both times I walked the Frances Camino, I carried a full liter of water all the way from SJPDP to Santiago without opening it. Met Matthew from Chicago on the Norte who started with ZERO weight and who just picked up gear in the donation bins at the various albergues.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My first Camino will be in May. I'm using Robo's excellent spreadsheet and am working hard to get it to 6kg. From my initial packing list I've ditched a pair of pants, a pair of underwear, the toe socks I wear every night, a spiky foot roller, my Spanish phrase book, half of my Brierly book (I'm only going to Burgo), and made adjustments to a number of other things. I may ditch my Gortex rain pants. I'll have to ponder that some more.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My first Camino will be in May. I'm using Robo's excellent spreadsheet and am working hard to get it to 6kg. From my initial packing list I've ditched a pair of pants, a pair of underwear, the toe socks I wear every night, a spiky foot roller, my Spanish phrase book, half of my Brierly book (I'm only going to Burgo), and made adjustments to a number of other things. I may ditch my Gortex rain pants. I'll have to ponder that some more.
I'd take the toe-socks if I were you, if you wear them every night you'll miss them. If you're taking a smart-phone then download a translation app. You are unlikely to need such classic phrases as "¿Por qué estás azotando a ese burro con una manta?" on the Camino Frances. If you are wearing shorts you won't need rain pants. If you don't want wet trousers (pants) you will.

I always carry 2 pairs of underpants - 1 on, 1 washed and drying off my backpack, 1 in case of a rainy day. My mother used to insist that I ensured I always had clean underwear "in case I had an accident and got taken to hospital". My grandmother always insisted that "if he gets hit by a truck he's unlikely to have clean underwear."

weight issues can get too far...
A fellow traveller, to my amazement, tore out the pages from his guidebook as he progressed
through his camino !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ouch,
bad memories from boy scout camps of my youth...
magazines, elm leaves....

Last edited:
My backbag on the winter Camino weights about 12kg. I feel I need everything and it does feel comfortable to wear but it might be too heavy for the knees.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On your last Camino, how heavy was your backpack without water?

Although mine was about ten kilo, 30 years as a soldier conditioned me for carrying it but when I reached Finnisterre I binned everything I really didn’t need and it came down to about six kilos

My pack varied from 28 to 32 pounds. At very most that was with 1 maybe 2 liters of water. But I don't know what that weighs...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Weight is an interesting number but sometimes without seasonal context it can be misleading. My 10-12 kg winter pack would drop to 6-8 kgs in the summer, less if I convince (aka begging) my wife to let me buy one of them fancy ultra light packs.

I'd be interested in seeing your packing list? I'm finalizing for an end of winter camino, and I'm at a base weight of 11% of my ideal body weight.

I'd be interested in seeing your packing list? I'm finalizing for an end of winter camino, and I'm at a base weight of 11% of my ideal body weight.
I wish I had the time to be organized enough to make a packing list!! My normal M.O. is to grab my pack and toss in my cold weather gear. I've invested in high-quality pieces over the years that I know work for this kind of event. For me the weight isn't too important and I don't use the 10% rule because I'm a rather large fellow and would need the display pack outside the equipment store in Astorga (that will make more sense once you arrive in Astorga!). I focus on comfort with my choices but each of us will prioritize based on their own tolerances and needs. Good luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wish I had the time to be organized enough to make a packing list!! My normal M.O. is to grab my pack and toss in my cold weather gear. I've invested in high-quality pieces over the years that I know work for this kind of event. For me the weight isn't too important and I don't use the 10% rule because I'm a rather large fellow and would need the display pack outside the equipment store in Astorga (that will make more sense once you arrive in Astorga!). I focus on comfort with my choices but each of us will prioritize based on their own tolerances and needs. Good luck!

Bahahahahahaha! I've been to Astorga. This is my second camino. :) I've made a few more investment pieces that are lower in weight this time, but when I look at other people's lists, I'm kind of stunned at how little some of their items weigh. I don't hike often enough to own the zpacks line, ya know? I'm 6 ft tall. It may just be that 9kg is going to have to be good enough.

I walked carrying jackets, etc. as the weather was colder (early Spring, late Fall). For your data charts to be meaning full, I'd ask for the month or season the person walked along with the weight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On the Camino my pack was about 8 kg. In training I increased the weight slowly by adding about half or one kilo a week. I did that by putting bottles of water into my pack. A liter of water weighs a little over a kilo when it is in the bottle (plastic has weight), but carrying a liter of liquid gets a little messy. Two half "water" kilos weigh more than a single kilo due to the extra plastic.

Once I had a serious problem at home (there was a kill list with my son's name on it and he had an armed body guard). The other time I just "got tired", I'm now 77 years old. Son is fine now and his problem has been resolved. Ok answer?

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had to make some of the hardest decisions figuring out what to ditch before my Camino. Looking back, though, my decisions were good. If there is anything that you realize you really need after you left it home, you are walking through a first world country so can find just about everything.

Also, some of the things you can pick up along the way are better than the ones you could have taken with you. For example, many people use vaseline on their feet (not me). Therefore, some pilgrims bring a jar of vaseline. But you can pick up small, lip gloss size containers of vaseline along the way. Much lighter, just as effective. The business people along the way think about the needs of pilgrims and try to accommodate.

Keep thinking about it and working on it and you will come up with a good packing list. Buen Camino.

I stopped weighing my backpack. On my first Camino in 1989 it never would have occurred to me to weigh my backpack. I did on my second Camino in 2016. On my third Camino, I figured it was similar. I took out some things I had never used or didn't feel were worth the weight and added I. Some light things I had acquired that I thought might be useful. I figured it evened out or was likely a little lighter. It was fine. My next Camino might have a slightly lighter bag as I've replaced a thing or two with lighter equivalents. But I don't worry about weighing it. I've found out I can carry it and that is what matters to me.

Weight---neighbor lady cuts her toe nails and finger nails EVERY morning to cut down weight while hiking!

On my two Camino France walks I actually added rocks to my pack on the third week, as I got stronger the pack felt too light---that never occurred on the Norte however.

Still have not met any of the Spanish soldiers who walk the Caminos with full packs and weapons as an Article 15 punishment. Ex-soldiers tell me they must carry about 50 kilos.

Heaviest packs I have personally seen and personally picked up were the packs carried by Jewish hikers carrying their Kosher food and Kosher cooking gear. About 50 to 60 kilos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.