• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How hilly is it from Sarria to Lugo?

thesmiths2

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Madrid (2018)
CORRECTION: Thanks to those on this forum, I am now aware that I'm not going to Lugo. I feel a bit silly, but since I'm only walking for 2 full days and had a friend who walked the Camino last year help me, I didn't do enough of my own research. So grateful I posted my incorrect info so you all could correct me! :) <3

ORIGINAL POST: I am doing a very short Camino walk for about 2 1/2 days from Sarria to Lugo, then taking the bus to SdC next week. I’m wondering if it’s worth taking my hiking poles. My knees aren’t great, so if there are some steep up and down hills, I will, but won’t bother if not

Thanks!!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am doing a very short Camino walk for about 2 1/2 days from Sarria to Lugo, then taking the bus to SdC next week. I’m wondering if it’s worth taking my hiking poles. My knees aren’t great, so if there are some steep up and down hills, I will, but won’t bother if not

Thanks!!

Hi @thesmiths2 - Sarria to Lugo isn't actually on a Camino route (although both towns are on Camino routes they are different ones - the Camino Frances and Camino Primitivo respectively), unless I've missed something (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!). So you would not be walking along marked Camino pathways. Was that what you intended? I think the route between the two towns would therefore mostly be on the road. Others will be able to tell you how hilly those roads might be, and possibly whether there are any paths alongside to walk on.

Hi GettingThere, I am planning on walking the Camino pathways. I'm taking the bus to Sarria to pick up the trail. I can do that, right? First afternoon, as soon as I arrive, I'm walking the Camino a short distance to Vilei. The 2nd day I am walking to Portomarin. 3rd day to Lugo, then bus to Santiago. I can walk the Camino pathways to do that, right?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @thesmiths2 I haven't heard of anyone walking from Sarria to Lugo, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened! Just a note that if you want to be sure of following a Camino path with yellow arrows to guide you, you can walk the Camino Frances from Sarria to Portomarin, then to Palas de Rei or ArzĂşa, and still catch a bus to Santiago. All of those towns will be on the Camino Frances, and you won't have to try to make your way to Lugo on a non-Camino pathway.

Someone may know much more, though, and be able to add some more information.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

Hi GettingThere, I am planning on walking the Camino pathways. I'm taking the bus to Sarria to pick up the trail. I can do that, right? First afternoon, as soon as I arrive, I'm walking the Camino a short distance to Vilei. The 2nd day I am walking to Portomarin. 3rd day to Lugo, then bus to Santiago. I can walk the Camino pathways to do that, right?

Hi @thesmiths2 - I think you might have one or two of the town names confused. A lot of the towns in that area you will see with "(Lugo)" following them, because they are in Lugo province. Lugo town itself is different, and not really near Portomarin at all. Sarria to Vilei is the Camino Frances, and Vilei to Portomarin is Camino Frances, continuing along. From Portomarin you might go as far as Palas de Rei, or one of the in-between villages like Ligonde? Are any of those names on the map you're looking at?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok... Thank you for your help! The address of where I'm staying is show as LUGAR LESTEDO S/N (CASA RECTORAL) 27216 PALAS DE REI (LUGO), 27216 Lugo, Spain. Does this make more sense, then?

Yes, makes sense. Casa Rectoral is in Lestedo, which is about 5 km before the town of Palas do Rei, which is in the province of Lugo (not to be confused with the city of Lugo). The village of Lestedo, where Casa Rectoral is, is in the municipality of Palas de Rei, but 5 km from the town of the same name. I assume that if you don't want to walk those 5 km the next day, the owners of the casa rural will take you in to where you will get the bus to Santiago.

Ok
Hi @thesmiths2 - I think you might have one or two of the town names confused. A lot of the towns in that area you will see with "(Lugo)" following them, because they are in Lugo province. Lugo town itself is different, and not really near Portomarin at all. Sarria to Vilei is the Camino Frances, and Vilei to Portomarin is Camino Frances, continuing along. From Portomarin you might go as far as Palas de Rei, or one of the in-between villages like Ligonde? Are any of those names on the map you're looking at?

Hi GettingThere, thank you so much for saying something. Yes, I was a bit confused! LOL! I just talked with my friend who walked the route last year (and stayed at several of the place I stayed at) and now I see that I'm nowhere near the town of Lugo, BUT the bus ticket I have goes through nearby towns, as you mentioned, so I can get on the bus then and head into Santiago.

I love this forum!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Yes, makes sense. Casa Rectoral is in Lestedo, which is about 5 km before the town of Palas do Rei, which is in the province of Lugo (not to be confused with the city of Lugo). The village of Lestedo, where Casa Rectoral is, is in the municipality of Palas de Rei, but 5 km from the town of the same name. I assume that if you don't want to walk those 5 km the next day, the owners of the casa rural will take you in to where you will get the bus to Santiago.

Thank you Peregrina2000!! I think a 5 km walk is a great way to start the day before jumping on the bus to Santiago!

I am doing a very short Camino walk for about 2 1/2 days from Sarria to Lugo, then taking the bus to SdC next week. I’m wondering if it’s worth taking my hiking poles. My knees aren’t great, so if there are some steep up and down hills, I will, but won’t bother if not

Thanks!!
Hi - I am also going to Lugo, but from Portomarin, and yes, I know it's not part of the Camino, but I hear it's a beautiful city with lots of history. There are buses that will take you there from both Sarria and Portomarin. Here is the website and you can translate it to your language easily. Good luck and Buen Camino, do it your way.
http://www.empresaportomarin.com/servicio-regular-1.html

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok

Hi GettingThere, thank you so much for saying something. Yes, I was a bit confused! LOL! I just talked with my friend who walked the route last year (and stayed at several of the place I stayed at) and now I see that I'm nowhere near the town of Lugo, BUT the bus ticket I have goes through nearby towns, as you mentioned, so I can get on the bus then and head into Santiago.

I love this forum!!

No problem! That all makes sense now, and as @peregrina2000 has said, Lestedo is a little village a bit before you get to the (small) town of Palas de Rei. you'll definitely be able to get a bus on to Santiago from there. You're absolutely on the Camino too!

And to answer your actual question about hills - personally, I'm a hiking pole girl, and I would take them. It's not huge hills, more rolling and much more gentle than some parts of the Camino. There are a few steepish bits though - into (down) and out of (up) Portomarin comes to mind, and bits can also get muddy in the wet weather. i would tend to take poles, but it's a very personal decision - and one that causes many an argument (good-natured of course!) on the Forum.

best of luck and Buen Camino!!

Mark McCarthy, veteran member of this forum, has a book on Amazon which includes a detailed map, elevations for every stage, comments on accommodations, phone numbers, etc. Newly updated. Sounds as if you might find that helpful. He also has a Short Stage Camino on this forum (search for it) that gives you the option to walk shorter stages (I'm walking his plan in May). Here's the link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YJSG918/?tag=casaivar02-20

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Lestedo is a little village a bit before you get to the (small) town of Palas de Rei. you'll definitely be able to get a bus on to Santiago from there. You're absolutely on the Camino too!
You can get a bus in Palas de Rei, but not Lestedo. The bus stop is just across the street from the municipal albergue. You will find it by all the pilgrims waiting!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back