Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How hot is "hot"?

Keikochan

Time of past OR future Camino
3 past (2014, 2018, 2019) and 1 planned in August
Plan to start Primitivo on August 19 from Oviedo, but all my family are trying to persuade not to go to Spain now, worried about the heatwave and the fires that come in the news on TV even in Japan. I wasn't really worried about the heat, because of my experience on the Norte in 2019. The heatwave was a big news then but on the Norte it was no hotter than regular summer. I even needed a light down jacket when I started very early in the morning. How is the situation this year compared to that of 2019? Is it similar or worse? The fires are another cause of worry, which weren't so frequent and widespread in the North back in 2019. I think (hope) the peak of heat will be over by the time I walk, but the fire?

I must decide soon whether I proceed as I plan or cancel/change my flight to Madrid on Aug. 16. I'm retired and quite free, but worried about losing my strength and energy if I wait too long. Any advice from anyone, especially from the ones actually on the Camino, is very much appreciated. (And, of course, from Ivar, who knows the difference in each year.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Keikochan, if you can live through Japan in August you should be ok with the heat, so long as you are sensible. There's no predicting fire. Whether it is better or worse than 2019 actually doesn't much influence whether there will actually be fire on the Primitivo when you are there - those are related but independent variables. It may be more likely or not - but whether fire actually happens is another story.

In your shoes I'd go, with the flexibility of a Plan B to walk another camino if the situation in the ground is dicey on the Primitivo.

August 9th 2013 , Pamplona area

Attachments

• 22D78A9D-CB94-41E7-BC15-697E889D3C0F.jpeg
    22D78A9D-CB94-41E7-BC15-697E889D3C0F.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 8D6E9E96-C80E-44AC-83A1-FE75B8BD3922.jpeg
    8D6E9E96-C80E-44AC-83A1-FE75B8BD3922.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 25
  • D714AF8F-1CCE-4ADE-BE0E-821C232AA2DD.jpeg
    D714AF8F-1CCE-4ADE-BE0E-821C232AA2DD.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 25
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you live in a hot country, it shouldn't be too bad. If you live in a cool country (and can walk off peak), September-November is a good time to walk. I like to walk in the late summer/early autumn. Daytime temps are warm, but night temps are cool. The best of both worlds. If I can get a solid 8 hours of sleep it makes those 20 mile days so much more enjoyable. Sleeping when the average night temp is over 20C leads me into Zombie mode and burnout. But when it's like that I tend to use siesta time.

I suppose it depends on where you live in Japan. Some parts are not as hot as others. If you come from a cooler area or mountain area, then mid August may be too early.

As for fires, they happen. When I walked back in 2017, they were still burning in October (on the end of the VdlP). I would expect the same this year. As has been mentioned before, if it's unsafe the local police will stop people walking. Not to mention there are so many routes you could take, you could change to a different route and walk a different path.

I tend to disagree about living in a hot climate. I think there is a big difference between going about your day and walking 20k, 25k or even more in the hot sun. What the weather in a month from now no one can say. The weather on the coast usually is generally cooler but this year, it seems it is cooler but still can be dangerously hot. If you can wait a few months and it seems you can why not? I am not a meteorologist but I cannot see how mid August will be cooler than mid July generally speaking. It is still the peak of summer. Why take chances when it seems you have the luxury of time.

Hi, I’m a Canadian walking right now. I’ve been leaving very early in the morning to beat the heat and it’s been ok. It’s not too comfortable to walk after about 1pm. Go for it! (and don’t forget the sunscreen) 😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Plan to start Primitivo on August 19 from Oviedo, but all my family are trying to persuade not to go to Spain now, worried about the heatwave and the fires that come in the news on TV even in Japan. I wasn't really worried about the heat, because of my experience on the Norte in 2019. The heatwave was a big news then but on the Norte it was no hotter than regular summer. I even needed a light down jacket when I started very early in the morning. How is the situation this year compared to that of 2019? Is it similar or worse? The fires are another cause of worry, which weren't so frequent and widespread in the North back in 2019. I think (hope) the peak of heat will be over by the time I walk, but the fire?

I must decide soon whether I proceed as I plan or cancel/change my flight to Madrid on Aug. 16. I'm retired and quite free, but worried about losing my strength and energy if I wait too long. Any advice from anyone, especially from the ones actually on the Camino, is very much appreciated. (And, of course, from Ivar, who knows the difference in each year.)
Since you are retired and flexible why not hike a month later when it's cooler?

We (including Fuji the dog) are planning the Salvador/Primitivo from end of Sept/mid October.

I grew up in a hot country (Indonesia) but everywhere we go there is AC. Any mountain hiking we do it in the dark with the excuse to watch the sunrise, but actually to me it was to escape the heat! As even going down a volcano at 7AM is pretty 🥵

I salute people who enjoy walking at 30+C weather because I know I definitely can’t. With regards to fire, I suppose we just need to have plan B if we can’t proceed with the Camino we choose at the time we plan to do it. I hope the local people who live in those villages affected by the fires are getting much needed help and support to rebuild.

ケイコさん
it is very difficult to predict the weather one month ahead. Yes, we currently experience a heat wave in Europe but it surely will not stay like that. I was walking last year, at the same time, and it was rather cool.
Whatever, you –or me– can not change the weather. Do as you planned and remember that the summer heat in North Spain is not as humid as in Japan. I give you this same advice as I follow for myself, as I will be on the Frances around the same time as you.
ガンバテ and Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you very much for all of you for your precious advice. Very helpful. Contemplating pros and cons, I decide to start as planned. Due to an important event I'm taking part of in mid October, the maximum time I can postpone my plan is two weeks, which will not guarantee less risk of heat (maybe a little better?), fire and Covid( just cross my fingers!).
I plan to walk Ingles and Fisterra after Primitivo, and have 4~5 extra days to tour Galicia, so I have enough flexibility to make Plan B. I'll leave before dawn and try to arrive next albergue around noon as usual. So, maybe, I can make it.
Wish me a good luck and for those who may be walking around the same time!
ガンバルヨ!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back