• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How "hot" is July/August

MOMAND3KIDS

Time of past OR future Camino
JULY AND AUGUST 2015
Any tips/suggestions for July/August hike (entire distance) on clothing for mornings -evenings; rain?; how warm or hot within the hostels etc- and any other suggestions are very welcome. thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Entire distance of which Camino please. There are differences of climate between the Camino Frances, Camino del Norte and the Via de la Plata for example. SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
July / August is generally very, very hot and overcrowded on the CF. Rain is still a possibility, especially in Galicia. SY

You might want to research some of the climate sites to give you a better perspective than might be given here. One that I recommend is here. You will get a feel from this for the average daily maximum, but if you are concerned with how much warm gear you might want to bring, you will need to find a site that gives either the expected range of temperatures, or has the data for daily minima. That said, even walking in Apr (CF in 2010, CI in 2014) I found a light fleece sufficient for most mornings, or if it was windy, I put on my rain jacket instead for an hour or so until I had warmed up.

Everybody has a different opinion on what is considered "hot" weather. I guess it all has to do with one's background (where they have lived, etc).
My first Camino Frances was in July-August 2013. Did not find the weather to be really all that hot, and I was very lucky and did not experience one rainy day over the course of the entire walk (SJPdP-Santiago), but definitely bring a breathable rain jacket or a poncho depending on preference. I wore shorts everyday, and did not even have a pair of long pants to wear and did not carry a sleeping bag. I did have a fleece jacket and found that to be enough. It could be a little chilly in the morning and in the evenings sometimes. The fleece came in handy the most in the evenings. If I put it on in the morning, it would quickly come off, as one warms up fast while walking. It did seem to get the warmest after about 3:00 pm, but by that time I was finished walking for the day, or about to. I did not notice that much of a weather change from one end of the Camino to the other. Just a few degrees here and there. A good hat is in my opinion a must, as is some sunscreen, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate....whether you feel thirsty or not.
I wouldn't pack long underwear for that time of year, or thick socks. It just ain't that cold. If you do bring a sleeping bag of some kind, make sure it's really lightweight. I never stayed in any albergue that was cold and a lot of them had blankets available.
Don't be put-off by the notion that there will be a lot of fellow peregrinos that time of the year. I never found it to be a problem. I thought it was kinda cool to see that many people with the same goal.
If you want to see past year's weather throughout Spain, check out this website: www.wunderground.com

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you so very much - so far the best thing we've done is find this forum. Looking forward to checking in, inquiring and reading wise advice

Mark has given you very good, and lots of, advice.
Personally, I always carry a (very) lightwight sleeping bag: It is nice with some privacy at night, and besides, I put my hip purse with all valuables (CC cards, money, passport, etc.) in the bottom of it each night.

Any tips/suggestions for July/August hike (entire distance) on clothing for mornings -evenings; rain?; how warm or hot within the hostels etc- and any other suggestions are very welcome. thanks
Hola!

Regarding climate data check these sites:
http://www.wunderground.com/ (here you have more stats)
&
http://www.caminodesantiagotiempo.com/ (kind of specialized in Spanish Caminos)

I walked three times in summer months and although I've experienced some rain (Galicia) and severe storms accompanied with chilly north wind (Meseta between Burgos and Leon on CF) shorts & T-shirts was enough. In the evening, mostly in hilly areas or when windy, long trousers and fleece/wind-breaker jacket might be handy.

Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mark has given you very good, and lots of, advice.
Personally, I always carry a (very) lightwight sleeping bag: It is nice with some privacy at night, and besides, I put my hip purse with all valuables (CC cards, money, passport, etc.) in the bottom of it each night.
Yeah, that is good advice. If not a bag, perhaps one of those silk liners that are not expensive at all and very lightweight.

I always walk in summer because I'm a teacher. I've seen rain once for ten minutes or so. Luck? I carried one light weight long sleeved top for sun protection and leggings for morning/evening. I sleep with a liner only. Then, right around Astorga, I buy a sweatshirt or fleece for the rest of the journey. Good momento, too.

I have walked in July / August twice. Both times there have been really cold sections and really hot parts.

The hottest I experienced must have been about 35 degrees, which is ok in cities but in remote parts with little shade it is a bit much. However, this was only because I was walking a very long stage and it was mid afternoon in the section between Torres and Viana. Getting to your destination by 1 would mean you miss the hottest point of the day.

On the other hand it can be really cold and wet. Early August 2013 was freezing and heavily raining for 2 days when I was walking between O Cebreiro and Sarria. Many pilgrims were caught out due to lack of proper clothing (no poncho, no fleece) along with no place to sleep in and around O Cebreiro as it was so busy. On my summer 2013 camino it rained in 4 places, so I think on 5 days out of the 30 it took me to walk it.

Other than the above 'extremes', it was also really hot and stuffy in some of the albergues (about 25 - 30 %) and difficult to sleep. A fan would have made all the difference.

Most of the time though, the weather is easily tolerable and hugely enjoyable, with long summer evenings and early sun rises. Also, while there are a lot of people on the Camino after Astorga, the meseta is actually quieter during these two months. I never once had a problem finding a bed and only encountered pilgims with nowhere to sleep twice (in O Cebreiro and Salceda). I'm looking forward to my (slightly shorter) summer 2015 camino in August from SDdlC to SdC.

Well, it's just about all been said:).
Having lived in Spain for eight years - admittedly over on the Med - in those months the temperature can easily be 40+ deg in the sun by 11:30 a.m. - much too hot for walking long distance without shade. And take long trousers - no shorts - the backs of your legs will burn badly.
We all wish you 'buen camino' whatever you finally decide to do ....

As I said on another thread, I used my mountain backpacking clothing system (all nylon quick drying; sun shirt over short sleeve shirt) for my Camino (SJPP-Finestere, July 3 to Aug. 9, 2014). I wish I had modified it.

Instead, I would have two sets of clothing—one for the mountains and one for drier parts in and before the Meseta (really by the time you leave Riojas, before you even hit Burgos and the official start of the Meseta). The mountain clothes would be quick-drying nylon. The clothes for the Meseta, however, should be like you would wear in the desert—the one place where cotton is good because it traps moisture--creating an evaporative cooling system. Dangerous in the mountains, but exactly what you want in hot, dry climates. Caveat: never cotton socks--moisture around the feet is bad anywhere.

The mountain clothes would be a single layer long sleeve nylon shirt matched with long (non-convertible) pants. The desert clothing would be the same, except in cotton. Everything SPF50 or at least SPF25. I found that what I was doing was using one set of clothing for walking, then when I reached the albergue, changing into the other pair and washing the trail clothes. The summer sun was so hot that drying was not much of a challenge. And then I would put the same trail clothes on for the next day. The clothes I wore in the albergues did not get that dirty, and were usually washed about once a week when we hit a washing machine (wearing rain gear, so we could wash all of the clothes at once). When I do another summer Camino, I would start out wearing the appropriate mountain attire while walking, wearing the desert clothes at night around the albergue. Then I’d switch and wear the desert clothes during the day when it started getting hot after Riojas. Then I’d switch back when we hit Galicia. Note: this idea is only for the summer, not for the fall or spring when cooler temperatures and more rain might make the cotton into a dangerously cold, soggy mess.

Three final notes: First, I would take long sleeves and long pant for both sections. In my opinion, wearing short sleeves or shorts and then lots of sunblock (or not, and we saw some amazing sunburns) is counterproductive. The sun on your skin undoes any cooling effect of the shorter garments. I took convertible pants, but ended up leaving the legs attached the whole trip for the shade--I should have saved the weight and just taken normal long pants.

Second, walking that time of the year requires a very early start--before sunrise, as soon as there is any light in the sky (bring a headlamp to find yellow arrows). We started out sleeping in (after all, this our vacation, right?). The result was that we ended up walking in the heat of the afternoon. Not only uncomfortable, but resulting in very hot feet and (with other factors, see below) an amazing amount of blisters.

Third, take very well ventilated shoes or walking sandals (Keens). I started out in my normal, well-broken in backpacking boots. A fuller account is in my gear report on another thread, but it was a disaster. Way too hot for the environment. I ended up buying Keen sandals and Merrell trail shoes. For another Camino, I'd keep the Keen sandals (for the rougher trails and rain) and swap the Merrells for running shoes designed for asphalt/concrete (there is more of that on the Camino than anyone wants to think about). Two pairs of footwear to alternate is not too much when walking 500 miles. On my pilgrimage, I learned my feet were the most important thing. The rest of me and all my gear just became a foot life-support system.

Buen Camino

As I said on another thread, I used my mountain backpacking clothing system (all nylon quick drying; sun shirt over short sleeve shirt) for my Camino (SJPP-Finestere, July 3 to Aug. 9, 2014). I wish I had modified it.

Instead, I would have two sets of clothing—one for the mountains and one for drier parts in and before the Meseta (really by the time you leave Riojas, before you even hit Burgos and the official start of the Meseta). The mountain clothes would be quick-drying nylon. The clothes for the Meseta, however, should be like you would wear in the desert—the one place where cotton is good because it traps moisture--creating an evaporative cooling system. Dangerous in the mountains, but exactly what you want in hot, dry climates. Caveat: never cotton socks--moisture around the feet is bad anywhere.

The mountain clothes would be a single layer long sleeve nylon shirt matched with long (non-convertible) pants. The desert clothing would be the same, except in cotton. Everything SPF50 or at least SPF25. I found that what I was doing was using one set of clothing for walking, then when I reached the albergue, changing into the other pair and washing the trail clothes. The summer sun was so hot that drying was not much of a challenge. And then I would put the same trail clothes on for the next day. The clothes I wore in the albergues did not get that dirty, and were usually washed about once a week when we hit a washing machine (wearing rain gear, so we could wash all of the clothes at once). When I do another summer Camino, I would start out wearing the appropriate mountain attire while walking, wearing the desert clothes at night around the albergue. Then I’d switch and wear the desert clothes during the day when it started getting hot after Riojas. Then I’d switch back when we hit Galicia. Note: this idea is only for the summer, not for the fall or spring when cooler temperatures and more rain might make the cotton into a dangerously cold, soggy mess.

Three final notes: First, I would take long sleeves and long pant for both sections. In my opinion, wearing short sleeves or shorts and then lots of sunblock (or not, and we saw some amazing sunburns) is counterproductive. The sun on your skin undoes any cooling effect of the shorter garments. I took convertible pants, but ended up leaving the legs attached the whole trip for the shade--I should have saved the weight and just taken normal long pants.

Second, walking that time of the year requires a very early start--before sunrise, as soon as there is any light in the sky (bring a headlamp to find yellow arrows). We started out sleeping in (after all, this our vacation, right?). The result was that we ended up walking in the heat of the afternoon. Not only uncomfortable, but resulting in very hot feet and (with other factors, see below) an amazing amount of blisters.

Third, take very well ventilated shoes or walking sandals (Keens). I started out in my normal, well-broken in backpacking boots. A fuller account is in my gear report on another thread, but it was a disaster. Way too hot for the environment. I ended up buying Keen sandals and Merrell trail shoes. For another Camino, I'd keep the Keen sandals (for the rougher trails and rain) and swap the Merrells for running shoes designed for asphalt/concrete (there is more of that on the Camino than anyone wants to think about). Two pairs of footwear to alternate is not too much when walking 500 miles. On my pilgrimage, I learned my feet were the most important thing. The rest of me and all my gear just became a foot life-support system.

Buen Camino

thank you for taking the time to write this! Great advice and will take it all into consideration :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, it's just about all been said:).
Having lived in Spain for eight years - admittedly over on the Med - in those months the temperature can easily be 40+ deg in the sun by 11:30 a.m. - much too hot for walking long distance without shade. And take long trousers - no shorts - the backs of your legs will burn badly.
We all wish you 'buen camino' whatever you finally decide to do ....

thank you!

When considering temperature data I would recommend that you pay close attention not only to the HIGHS but the LOWS because there is a good chance that you will be out walking early in the morning when it's quite chilly.
I walked from SJPD to Santiago in July one year and it was HOT some days (T shirt weather) and COLD other days (I took out my sleeping bag and wrapped it around my torso and then put on my poncho to help block the wind). Also, take a look at the altitude of the Camino, you'll be at 1,000 meters for several days.

Oh, one more thing about COTTON clothing. Cotton might be fine for hot desert days, but it is certainly not suitable for cold desert nights and therefore many recommend staying away from it altogether. If you have other clothing into which you can change for cold evenings, you could get away with it, but once cotton becomes wet it's worthless as an insulator which is what you need in the evening and at night. Your best best, in my opinion, would be to stay away from cotton altogether. That includes underwear as well. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No one, as far as I could see from a quick read of this thread, has mentioned using an umbrella - one with UV protection. If I were to walk during the expected heat of July and August I would definitely take one with me as they do a remarkable job of lowering the temperature, even allowing one to feel a cool breeze (yes, I have experienced this myself!). The downside with my UV protection umbrella is that it is heavy, but perhaps there are more lightweight ones available now. I would also have to find a way of rigging the umbrella to my pack so my hands would be free e.g. to hold my poles. Be sure also to have a neckerchief - wetting a neckerchief in cold water and tying it around the head or neck can bring much relief in the heat.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.