• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How I walk the Camino again every day in my living room

Old Hillwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte 2022
My home is located in the far North East of the US where our snowy winters generally last from October until May. During the winter I have a treadmill that resides in my living room. This past Autumn I acquired a 42 inch flat panel Smart TV for very little money. I have it placed about five feet in front of the tread mill and have it connected to an old laptop for video. The laptop is connected to my WIFI. So, as I perform my daily hour of walking I am able to watch videos. Some months ago I discovered a Korean gentleman, BK LEE who has a You Tube channel on which he has posted 34 complete videos of of his walking the French route. Some videos lasting as long as six hours. Every day I log in to his channel and walk along with him. There is no sound except for an occasional word of two or his poles clicking on the pavement. I have the sound off since the clicking on the videos is as annoying as it was on the trail. As we walk along I often see familiar sights and and places I remember, and now have time to really look around as the landscape moves by us. I keep track of where I end each day's session so I can pick up the walk tomorrow. I find that the hour of walking simply flies by when I am revisiting this wonderful adventure. I have been doing this now for the past 30 days. It's not getting boring like an hour a day on the treadmill used to do. Mr Lee's channel is shown below:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is wonderful. My husband has been going all around the world this way, on his exercise bicycle. I had that idea of doing the Camino that way too. I am glad someone did it because I would not have the skill to do it. It will allow so many more people who cannot afford the flight etc or who for health reasons cannot do it in situ, to do it from home. Thanks for sharing this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was about to stop reading what looked like a silly post, but I am glad I ketp reading and discovered something so interesting, i thought you would be watching some TV series full of action, but I would imagine these videos, at a walking pace, must be something else.
I mean, in such a fast pace life, watching a video like that on your time must be something different!

Buen (indooors) Camino!

Last edited:
The post below is not meant to divert away from the video suggestion of the OP; it is a wonderful production and time well spent viewing. I just thought I might add to the viewing inventory for those looking for excellent Camino videos. :)

A video series that I watch while using a treadmill is authored by our fellow member, John Sikora. He has done step-by-step recordings, using a HD GoPro camera, of most stages for several different Caminos, including the Frances and the Portuguese. And he keeps adding Caminos. :)

John edits them with Microsoft's Hyperlapse program. This means that for the 32 Camino Frances stages he recorded, you can do a virtual walk in 15 to 20 minutes per stage, instead of 5 to 8 hours.

At the beginning of every video stage, John show a 'fly-over' of that stage's route using Google Maps. Then you will see the elevation profile of that stage.

During each of the stages, John also inserted the Brierley map; it show up in a sort of split screen, to the side of the video or underneath it. As the video progresses, you can see a marker move on the map, showing present location.

Below is a link to the YouTube playlist for John's Camino Frances. From there you can find his Camino Portuguese and the Camino Via de la Plata. John doesn't do much, if any, promoting of his YouTube videos, but I would urge Forum members to subscribe to his YouTube channel to help show support, as well as to enjoy his efforts. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My home is located in the far North East of the US where our snowy winters generally last from October until May. During the winter I have a treadmill that resides in my living room. This past Autumn I acquired a 42 inch flat panel Smart TV for very little money. I have it placed about five feet in front of the tread mill and have it connected to an old laptop for video. The laptop is connected to my WIFI. So, as I perform my daily hour of walking I am able to watch videos. Some months ago I discovered a Korean gentleman, BK LEE who has a You Tube channel on which he has posted 34 complete videos of of his walking the French route. Some videos lasting as long as six hours. Every day I log in to his channel and walk along with him. There is no sound except for an occasional word of two or his poles clicking on the pavement. I have the sound off since the clicking on the videos is as annoying as it was on the trail. As we walk along I often see familiar sights and and places I remember, and now have time to really look around as the landscape moves by us. I keep track of where I end each day's session so I can pick up the walk tomorrow. I find that the hour of walking simply flies by when I am revisiting this wonderful adventure. I have been doing this now for the past 30 days. It's not getting boring like an hour a day on the treadmill used to do. Mr Lee's channel is shown below:

Love it!!

But he gets to Orisson in 1:20 ! It takes me 3 hours :eek:

How fantastic and thank you for including the pilgrim's Youtube name in your story. I am watching the first one now! Buen Camino Peregrino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Great idea! Thanks for telling us about it!

Blessings on your head sez I...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Now how cool is that?

I discovered BK Lee last year whilst I was training for my camino. I did the same whilst on a treadmill and still do. It does pass the time away. Now I say to myself, I remember that bit.....

I discovered BK Lee last year whilst I was training for my camino. I did the same whilst on a treadmill and still do. It does pass the time away. Now I say to myself, I remember that bit.....
I do that too. One bit of realism that I could do without is that I find myself swaying on the treadmill when he goes around objects, and almost stumble over root, rocks, and holes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

We are doing the same! although we are not bothered by the sound. What does drive us around the bend is every time BK gets lost.
😁
But we are finding that with the ability to move the incline of the treadmill up and down, and the time -- an hour or hour and half per day, that we feel a quite strong virtual connection to the process as we lived it on our own camino experiences.
I do regret that he does not stop in the cities or towns, does not show us the food or the comeraderie that is possible.
For those who have not tuned in: it is JUST the roads, and not through any of the towns.
So to "visit" the places we love, we locate other videos, and read Michener.... it helps.

Love it!!

But he gets to Orisson in 1:20 ! It takes me 3 hours :eek:
Yeah, that was weird... but I think it's the only part of the series (so far anyway) in which he skips a big chunk (other than never showing us the destination town or rest stops).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back