• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How important is a rock plate for CF?

Mananath

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 2022
Hi- spent some time in REI the other day trying on lots of trail runners. I found the Topo Ultraventure 2 to be a good fit and I think I will use it when I start the CF next month. However I noticed it lacks a rock plate. How important is that feature for the Camino, specifically the Frances? All the choices are a bit overwhelming!
Thanks!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If the rock plate is to protect your feet from sharp stones, you don't really need to worry about that on the Francés. The trails are mostly natural paths and some small gravel. There ARE some irregular stones on the "roman roads", but an ankle brace would help more than the rock plate.
I second @Anniesantiago 's suggestion, and maybe add lightweight.
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Use your insole as a template to cut out a piece from a thin plastic kitchen cutting board. I put them underneath my insole and they served quite well on sections with jagged rocks. When you don’t need them you can take them out and they take up almost no space in your pack.

Agree. Not necessary. Lots of good options. The Topo terradventure 2 model does have a rock plate and a somewhat stiffer Vibram sole than the earlier model.

Last edited:
Use your insole as a template to cut out a piece from a thin plastic kitchen cutting board. I put them underneath my insole and they served quite well on sections with jagged rocks. When you don’t need them you can take them out and they take up almost no space in your pack.
I know of no sections with jagged rocks on the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If the rock plate is to protect your feet from sharp stones, you don't really need to worry about that on the Francés. The trails are mostly natural paths and some small gravel. There ARE some irregular stones on the "roman roads", but an ankle brace would help more than the rock plate.
Buen Camino!
Hola, there are sections of the Via De La Plata - north Merida that had I known about a rock plate I would have had one in a second. But I do agree there is not any real need on the Frances. Just have boots that fit with a sturdy sole.

Hi- spent some time in REI the other day trying on lots of trail runners. I found the Topo Ultraventure 2 to be a good fit and I think I will use it when I start the CF next month. However I noticed it lacks a rock plate. How important is that feature for the Camino, specifically the Frances? All the choices are a bit overwhelming!
Thanks!
You don’t need rockplate . Plus ultraventure have 30 mm stack height and vibram mega grip . It is more than enough:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks!
Hi. What's a rock plate. 😁 1400kms later on Del Norte and Portuguese. If its important then maybe that's why I should have had one. Seriously don't worry about it. More weight on your feet that you can do without. Buen Camino

Thanks!
This is more like a walk than a hike. I wore lightweight trailrunners…Could do in sandals except gravel gets inside.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The climb out of Atapuerca has edge on strata, most uncomfortable, and rock plates or better still a hacked up milk bottle would help a lot to stop bruising.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
+1 for the rock plate/shank. I saw several pilgrims with stone bruising carnage by day 2 on my CF. Several people limping around the albergues with a U.S. quarter/ .50 euro coin sized red dot in the ball of their feet. Mostly people wearing running shoes. I won't leave home without a rock plate.

That said, I have a 63 year old friend that has completed the Pacific Crest trail, Rocky Mountain trail and Appalachian trail in running shoes. Swears by them. Your milage may vary. Have fun!

Crackpot

Last edited:
Your personal weight plays a big part. “Average” size people are probably ok without, however, a shank (aka rock plate) can also reduce foot fatigue over the long haul. A heavier person may benefit greatly from a shank as they will compress the mid-sole of their footwear much more and become susceptible to rocks (sharp or small round ones) hurting their feet. Even for average sized people carrying 12-20lbs packs may benefit over a 800km walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
+1 for the rock plate/shank. I saw several pilgrims with stone bruising carnage by day 2 on my CF. Several people walking around the albergues with a U.S. quarter/ .50 euro coin sized red dot in the ball of their feet. Mostly people wearing running shoes. I won't leave home without a rock plate.

That said, I have a 63 year old friend that has completed the Pacific Crest trail, Rocky Mountain trail and Appalachian trail in running shoes. Swears by them. Your milage may vary. Have fun!

Crackpot
Then they are not wearing a good walking shoe. I've seen people with work boots on thinking those have to be an equal to a hiking boot and they're not stones and cobblestone can wreak havoc on the bottom of your feet. I think you'll find most trail running shoes have a cloth Rock plate in them a piece of carbon material not a piece of hard plastic. That's why I always choose Keen or Oboz to walk in. Keen and oboz or technically the same boot just different partners.

Thanks!
Currently on the Camino Frances with 60 miles to go to Santiago. I had some serious problems with deep-seated bruised forefeet developing from the rocky paths on the first few days in early May out of SJPP. I was wearing some Salomon Quest 4 Forces boots, and despite doing a proper 50mile break-in before starting, the combination of my “svelte” 100kg body + a 10kg pack seems to obliterated the forefoot midsole of the boots. Salomon have been great with their customer response to my emails and it looks like an unforeseen failure of the midsole compound, but unfortunately the damage has been done and without the luxury of healing time I have resorted to a mix of North Face walking shoes with thick soles and Mammut mid-cut boots which have a great spring steel plate in the midsole (Salomon should steal this idea!)
The steep and pebbly descent from the Iron Cross a few days ago certainly reminded me that my feet aren’t 100% yet.
As I said, Salomon have been great however a U.K. purchase warranty and a walk in Spain are not the best mix for a warranty replacement. Not Salomon’s issue, international import/export processes make a mess of any efforts to help me. All will be resolved once I am back in the U.K.
The idea of a removable sole plate might be an option to test out before you walk.

Your personal weight plays a big part. “Average” size people are probably ok without, however, a shank (aka rock plate) can also reduce foot fatigue over the long haul. A heavier person may benefit greatly from a shank as they will compress the mid-sole of their footwear much more and become susceptible to rocks (sharp or small round ones) hurting their feet. Even for average sized people carrying 12-20lbs packs may benefit over a 800km walk.
Agree! See my recent reply.

Thanks!

Rock plates will most likely destroy your feet after 200 km

Got the amount they weigh I would use. We are talking ounces and if they give a bit more protection why not use. I have in my Lone Peaks and no issues over the 1,000 km of Mozarabe and VdlP I’m currently doing

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I believe that it was my pair of Altra Superior shoes that came with a removable rockplate that could be inserted under the insole. A number of us use aftermarket insoles which are useful to stableize the foot and also protect against sharply angled rocks. I use Powerstep insles, others use Superfeet. A rockplate is not necessary, just eases your mind.

I believe that it was my pair of Altra Superior shoes that came with a removable rockplate that could be inserted under the insole. A number of us use aftermarket insoles which are useful to stableize the foot and also protect against sharply angled rocks. I use Powerstep insles, others use Superfeet. A rockplate is not necessary, just eases your mind.
I concur! i used Salomon 4D Quest boots with Powerstep Pinnacle insoles. Great combination. Changed out the insoles to new ones at about 2/3 of the Camino Frances.

I wear Power Steps in every pair of shoes I own. In my experience, it doesn't matter how great your shoes or boots are, the “stock” insoles tend to be crap.

Buen Camino!
You don’t need a rock plate, but I did and made one after that sharp rock. I now wear thicker shoes

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks!
Based on my personal experience, I would suggest something either that is part of the shoe or homemade. I walked the entire Frances from SJPdP in a pair of shoes that held up great. I'm still using them. I had no blisters the entire trip. My one and only complaint was that after walking several days, I began to feel every little pebble through the soles. "Unfortunately" the shoes were such a good fit, I could not add additional insoles or I would have done that. I am not familiar with what a rock plate is, but something to reduce the spot pressure of stones or rocks would be my choice. If homemade, try is out on several hikes to make sure it doesn't create more problems than it solves. It might also change the fit and create blisters, so beware. I see you go to REI. Take along your solution when shopping to ensure a good fit. And if it doesn't feel right on training hikes, you can always return the shoes at REI.

Thanks!

Hi,
here’s an old thread from @davebugg on making your own rockplates:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My one and only complaint was that after walking several days, I began to feel every little pebble through the soles.
Same thing occurred to me during training before CF. The therapist told me it was stone bruising. I was sensitive to the constant pressure being transmitted through my then mostly new Merrill Moabs I was going to use on my then upcoming CF. The ache was right in the center of the ball of my foot. She told me to find shoes with a shank (rock plate) built into the sole. No issues (or blisters) on CF, VdlP, Norte and most of Levante with my shanked boots. I think some people are blessed with strong (younger) feet and don't need a rock plate.

crackpot.

Last edited:
Thanks!
In general, if your shoe has Moderate to Max Cushioning, you sould be fine without a rock plate.

This! "Mananath" (needed quotes bcuz my spell check kept changing I to Manawatu), if you're young, lean and have a light load, you might not need a rock plate. I'm old, chubby and mostly feeble minded. I need a rock plate. Well said Jordan!

Crackpot

€149,-
Thanks!
I myself just use trailrunners and never have problems; however, I once met a man on the CF who, even with bonafide hiking shoes, said he could feel every rock and they made his feet ache. Suggest you get whatever shoes fit you best and then go to a stone/gravel supply yard and walk on the various sizes of crushed rock to see if YOU need plates.

I returned from CF last week. From SJPP to Finisterre there are multiple sections where they have laid new crushed stone; some large and some small. They are jagged, but dont bother me. I much prefer the crushed stone to the bank run smooth stones they dumped all over the trail going down from Alto de Perdon last year.

i vote rock plate. the path is comprised of sharp jagged stones and gravel that are very hard on the feet for day after day walking. you need something that will prevent your feet from getting pummeled. (i just got back last week from CF 45 days)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

€46,-
Yes, but as I said earlier, one day out of 45-60 doesn't warrant special shoes in my opinion. But that's me. People should do what makes their hearts happy.
i just got back and experienced the majority of 45 days with those jagged sharp rocks. i know you have done CF a lot but i wonder how you can say one day?….or where the heck have i been walking? lol- but i feel i could count on one hand the number of days i didn’t have the jutting sharp rocks! (and another hand or two for the side-of-the-highway turf)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have no idea what a rock plate is.
Just buy some shoes that fit and are comfortable.
You don't need anything special.

FromTrail Runner:

Rock plate​

"Specific to trail-running shoes, rock plates are hard plastic inserts situated between the midsole and outsole of the shoe to prevent sharp objects from injuring the foot. They can run the full length of the shoe, only under the forefoot or some variation thereof."

From Outside magazine:

SHANK

"A shank is a semi-rigid insert that fits in the midsole of the boot. They serve several functions: they protect the foot from sharp objects, give the boot enough stiffness so it flexes at the ball of the foot even when loaded, and provides stability on rough terrain. Without them, your feet will feel bruised and tired after a long day on the trail."

My boots, the shanks are built into the sole. I can't remove it like liner/foot pad.

Last edited:
i vote rock plate. the path is comprised of sharp jagged stones and gravel that are very hard on the feet for day after day walking. you need something that will prevent your feet from getting pummeled. (i just got back last week from CF 45 days)
I am currently in Sairria from SJPP. I have Hoka Speedgoats but my walking companions have Lone Peaks. They all have thrown out the original insole and purchased new inserts. I’m doing fine. The egg shaped rocks imbedded in the trail are painful. And there are a bunch of sections that are filled with them. I guess if you send your pack ahead it’s not an issue but if you carry a full load it’s going to hurt.

I am currently in Sairria from SJPP. I have Hoka Speedgoats but my walking companions have Lone Peaks. They all have thrown out the original insole and purchased new inserts. I’m doing fine. The egg shaped rocks imbedded in the trail are painful. And there are a bunch of sections that are filled with them. I guess if you send your pack ahead it’s not an issue but if you carry a full load it’s going to hurt.
Thanks for this. Originally I was going to get lone peaks for the Camino but a friend who did it in them warned against using them due to the lack of cushioning. The topo has 5mm more cushioning... hopefully it is! But if not I assume it will be easy to buy insoles along the way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for this. Originally I was going to get lone peaks for the Camino but a friend who did it in them warned against using them due to the lack of cushioning. The topo has 5mm more cushioning... hopefully it is! But if not I assume it will be easy to buy insoles along the way.
Altra has other models with more cushion than the Lone Peaks, like the Olympus and Timps.

Dave Bugg posted an article that mentioned how you can cut out your own rock plate (and I saw one reply above that seemed to link to that). If/when I walk in trail runners I intend to do this.
However, regarding rocks on the CF - I walked in my several year old Italian leather walking boots that had served me well over many multi-day walks in OZ and NZ carrying twice the back pack load as the CF and my comment at the time was "the rocks in Spain are hard!"
Same boots, same replacement inner sole, new pairs of the same sox, and I never/rarely got blisters before but the CF was different.

Specific to trail-running shoes, rock plates are hard plastic inserts situated between the midsole and outsole of the shoe to prevent sharp objects from injuring the foot. They can run the full length of the shoe, only under the forefoot or some variation thereof."
Thanks for posting this explanation.

I, too, did not know what a rock plate is but of course I googled it immediately and saw that it is specific to trail-running shoes. Not even owning any trail-running shoes let along being knowledgeable about their composition of materials, it decided that it is not for me to give advice. I only know this for sure: at least for me and my feet, there is no single pair of shoes that is ideal for the whole 500 miles long Camino Francés - or even longer if you add the trails before you reach the Pyrenees.

As I walked in annual sections, I used sometimes proper Hanwag and later Meindl hiking shoes and sometimes Hoka One Ones (marketed as 'cushioned running shoes' but not as trail-running shoes). Each of these pairs of shoes were ideal and even bliss for some sections and awful for some other sections to the extent that I once cursed for having chosen them for that trip in particular.

I now think that many of the complaints on the forum about 'treacherous' or 'difficult' sections of the Camino Francés have to do with the fact that those pilgrims are not wearing the right shoes for those sections and that is why they struggle.

So perhaps this comment is of some use for the OP after all, despite it coming from someone who does not wear or own trailrunners. Buen Camino to @Mananath!

Hi Annie, one that automatically comes to mind is the down into Monlinaseca. I found that path to be particularly jagged, but I think that was about it.
This is actually where I cursed my choice of shoes for the day. I don't recall it as jagged, just stony in places. I would classify this trail as longish but easy peasy when wearing proper hiking shoes. It was the length of the trail, the frequent 'feeling' of stones under my feet where you could not avoid stepping on them, and my choice of shoes (cushioned trainers / soft sports shoe / Hokas) that made walking to be slower, tiring and very annoying to walk towards the end. Also, it was a hot day.

Some posters may not remember this because they chose to walk on the tarmac road or took a taxi down to Molinaseca. :cool:

Edited to add: To me, the shoes that the OP favours - Topo Ultraventure 2 - looks as good a pick as any other.

Last edited:
"How important is a rock plate."

I would say it is fairly far down the list of criteria for footwear - after size, width, general fit, cushioning, support, breathabilty, traction, for example. I have never gotten to the point where a rock plate was the deciding factor.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks!

Have walked more days on the CF than I care to remember.

Never heard of a rock plate, ever.

I use Keen walking sandals on Summer CF and vibram soled hiking boots on Winter CF.

My tuppence worth.

Every pair of feet is different.

Enjoy...

Have walked more days on the CF than I care to remember.

Never heard of a rock plate, ever.

I use Keen walking sandals on Summer CF and vibram soled hiking boots on Winter CF.

My tuppence worth.

Every pair of feet is different.

Enjoy...
For what it's worth, it seems Keen sandals have a shank built into the midsole (same idea as rock plate which sits on top of the midsole) as noted here:
Other characteristics worth mentioning are the secure lace capture system, a TPU stability shank, as well as the Metatomical Footbed that supports the wearer’s arches. Once we combine these features with the model’s non marking rubber outsole, we get a pair of hiking sandals whose excellent performance is hard to match.
Nice technology that has been enjoyed by Keen sandal wearers without necessarily knowing about it :)

FromTrail Runner:

Rock plate​

"Specific to trail-running shoes, rock plates are hard plastic inserts situated between the midsole and outsole of the shoe to prevent sharp objects from injuring the foot. They can run the full length of the shoe, only under the forefoot or some variation thereof."

From Outside magazine:

SHANK

"A shank is a semi-rigid insert that fits in the midsole of the boot. They serve several functions: they protect the foot from sharp objects, give the boot enough stiffness so it flexes at the ball of the foot even when loaded, and provides stability on rough terrain. Without them, your feet will feel bruised and tired after a long day on the trail."

My boots, the shanks are built into the sole. I can't remove it like liner/foot pad.

Thanks for posting that.
A lot of the hiking shoes and boots out there have shanks for support and stability. Merrell Moabs and Oboz Sawtooth have them, as I've walked the Camino in both those shoes and the shank helps me. It's not a rock plate, and while there's a few days on the Frances where you have to negotiate some rocks on the path, I don't think it even comprises 10% of the entire walk. Not enough IMO to warrant rock protection in footwear.

€149,-
There are a number of sport shops along the way. My companions bought them in Burgos.

I finished CF 2 weeks ago in pair of altra olimpus (33mm stack height) yes there was some paths where they put small rocks material and it was fine for me but honestly the asphalt was way worse .
With altra it is always the same super comfortable the first 200 / 300kms and then the cushioning is gone . But i had no blisters and I really enjoyed walking with them + pushed serious kms couple of times . I noticed so many pilgrims wearing lone peaks and some of them definitely needed more supportive shoes . My plan was to walk with topo terraventure 3 but they arrived at home at my second day on CF :) .
From all my research I think that Topos are great alternative to Altras . But like someone here said there isn’t all around shoes .

€46,-
For what it's worth, it seems Keen sandals have a shank built into the midsole (same idea as rock plate which sits on top of the midsole) as noted here:
Other characteristics worth mentioning are the secure lace capture system, a TPU stability shank, as well as the Metatomical Footbed that supports the wearer’s arches. Once we combine these features with the model’s non marking rubber outsole, we get a pair of hiking sandals whose excellent performance is hard to match.
Nice technology that has been enjoyed by Keen sandal wearers without necessarily knowing about it :)
👍👍

I finished CF 2 weeks ago in pair of altra olimpus (33mm stack height) yes there was some paths where they put small rocks material and it was fine for me but honestly the asphalt was way worse .
With altra it is always the same super comfortable the first 200 / 300kms and then the cushioning is gone . But i had no blisters and I really enjoyed walking with them + pushed serious kms couple of times . I noticed so many pilgrims wearing lone peaks and some of them definitely needed more supportive shoes . My plan was to walk with topo terraventure 3 but they arrived at home at my second day on CF :) .
From all my research I think that Topos are great alternative to Altras . But like someone here said there isn’t all around shoes .
How was the asphalt sections for the first 200km before the cushioning wore down?

I wore Cascadia trail runners sold by Brooks last fall. They worked well except when walking on cobblestones. Ugh, I was painfully aware of each and every cobblestone I stepped on. On my next camino, I hope to find a lightweight shoe that fits well and has a sturdier rock plate. Everyone has their own preferences.

It was great I had couple of 40+kms days with no issues . The first really challenging day was the asphalt section after Ponferada .
Uh oh. I’m in Ponferada now, icing a shin splint that flared up with the tough downhill from Cruz de ferro today. I’m wearing Saucony Peregrine Ice trail runners and have felt great except on long stone,asphalt or concrete stretches, like entries into Logroño, Najera and León, as well as the not-scenic alternative route after Leon. I use Ibuprofen gel when they get really achy, elevate my feet at every rest stop (above my head on shady park benches when possible) and try to find bits of grass or dirt to walk on. I might wear my brooks adrenaline tomorrow after reading your description. Thanks!

Thanks!
I also vote for rock plate. I am currently in Sarria and have been 4 weeks walking since SJPP. At the last minute I bought new Brooks Cascadia for the trip, trail runners with a type of rock plate and am SO glad I have at least those. Many sections on the CF with huge, loose, chunky, sharp rocks, especially on steep descents, way more rocky sections than I anticipated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks!
Hi,

I used the same pair of LP 5 on both stages of the CF (last winter and this past May). I'd say as someone who actually used trail runners I benefited from this feature. Why? Because when I walked to Muxia and Finisterre after Santiago, I could feel every bit of stone and gravel, unlike before. I'm also hard on my heel as well. This is my experience. I know others will diagnose you without knowing how your feet are. Some walking sandals are effective for a reason because of the solid layer of protection. Boots as well.

Take my word not as advice but as a data point. Most important thing is know your body well. If you've done enough walking you'll know what you like. If I used boots, I may have a different opinion so take everyone's opinions as they are, and make the best decision for yourself. Same with cushioning, it offers a different purpose than a rock plate. So if you're trying for protection vs comfort, answers may vary. Happy hunting. I know it took me awhile to decide which pair to use. There will be trade offs, just have to be okay with them.

Happy to offer my insights further. Feel free to send a DM if you wish.

no wonder! i ditched my altra lonepeaks for keen newport H2 sandals in logrono and never looked back- they were fantastic all the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wonder if we all have different experiences - duh :rolleyes: ;)
BUT, it seems to me I've come upon sections of trails where new gravel has just been put down... sometimes the guys are still there raking stuff around... Has anyone else noticed these trail "improvements"? Seems reasonable considering the number of feet mushing and scattering the stones and pebbles around....

Well after my pair of Topos arrived in the mail today I am not quite happy with the fit. Much too tight to wear with injinji liners and an outer sock. Much better fit with one or the other. I am mixed on the two sock setup given the temps of July. Also not quite sold on how the insole cradles my foot.
The search continues. Gonna hit up a few local shops tomorrow and see what else I can find. I have three weeks til Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well after my pair of Topos arrived in the mail today I am not quite happy with the fit. Much too tight to wear with injinji liners and an outer sock. Much better fit with one or the other. I am mixed on the two sock setup given the temps of July. Also not quite sold on how the insole cradles my foot.
The search continues. Gonna hit up a few local shops tomorrow and see what else I can find. I have three weeks til Camino!
try keen newport h2 sandals- worth a shot you might be surprised!

@Anniesantiago Specific to trail-running shoes, rock plates are hard plastic inserts situated between the midsole and outsole of the shoe to prevent sharp objects from injuring the foot. I don’t find trail runners supportive enough and my feet do not like them. So I continue to wear hiking shoes which are heavier but do provide the support for me to avoid bruising onlong distance walks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only part with loose rocky surface comes to my mind was the descent from the Alto de El Perdón down to Uterga.

But you can walk with any type of shoe and get to SdC safe and sound.

BC
Roland

Which Keen model is this relevant to?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Did you consider yourself walking with injinji socks only ? Why do you need 2 pairs , are you prone to blisters ? Sorry i never used Vaseline and 2 layer socks system , but also never had abhot spot or blister which can’t be fixed with leukotape :)

Did you consider yourself walking with injinji socks only ? Why do you need 2 pairs , are you prone to blisters ? Sorry i never used Vaseline and 2 layer socks system , but also never had abhot spot or blister which can’t be fixed with leukotape :)
i did a thin wool liner with darn tough outer socks and vaseline- never had a blister or even a hot spot

The only part with loose rocky surface comes to my mind was the descent from the Alto de El Perdón down to Uterga.

But you can walk with any type of shoe and get to SdC safe and sound.

BC
Roland
Cruz de ferró to el aceibo was jagged rock and narrow a couple of days ago. Looked like someone had dumped large unecmven rocks all over it (they didn’t look natural)53DE98CA-2A7C-4B5F-B269-31AB83850AAC.jpeg The next 5-8 kms were nearly as rough.

TBH I just read about it on this forum and thought I would give it a try. I have never done liner socks before and my feet tend to sweat so I am still on the fence. I am keen for the toe socks to prevent blisters forming in between my toes. Earlier in the year I did a couple of multi night treks in NZ and ended up with blisters in between my pinky toes and would like to avoid that. Although I was wearing poorly fitted boots on those so that probably played a role.

TBH I just read about it on this forum and thought I would give it a try. I have never done liner socks before and my feet tend to sweat so I am still on the fence. I am keen for the toe socks to prevent blisters forming in between my toes. Earlier in the year I did a couple of multi night treks in NZ and ended up with blisters in between my pinky toes and would like to avoid that. Although I was wearing poorly fitted boots on those so that probably played a role.
I’m on day 26 on the Frances and have been wearing “wrightsocks” double layer socks and putting Vaseline on the balls of my feet and on my toes in the morning. No blisters yet. I also often change my socks midway through the day, elevate my feet above my head on a park bench at midday and I just tried wearing my brooks adrenaline running shoes for 2 days of walking on roads (from Ponferrada to las Herrerías).

I'm relatively new to wearing toe socks. On my two legs of the CF, my blisters are around my toes on two occasions. One ironically was from wearing one but I attributed it to extra threads rubbing on my toe (make sure to get rid of excess threads). The latest was from wearing regular socks and the shoe was loose so my feet were moving all over. I get toe blisters because my toes bunch up and rub on each other in weird ways. Toe socks minimize this and would continue wearing them while blisters are relatively fresh. Of course this is my experience and you may have a different result so take this with a grain a salt, not as a guarantee.

I tried double socks but didn't work for me on my training hikes. I do use a cream on my feet tho.

€149,-
Spent a few hours yesterday visiting 4 shops and trying on about 15 different types of trail runners. I was pretty happy with the Hoka Bondi and the NB Hierros. Wasn't able to try the Speedgoat but just ordered a few pairs that should be arriving in a few days to see how they fit. Unless I love the SG I suspect I will end up with the Bondi (of course the most expensive one I tried on lol).

I wear Bondi 7s for flat events...just make sure the toe box is wide enough for your foot, downhill, after swelling. ;) I actually used Hoka trail boots for the Camino. Worked for me, but again, be certain that the shoe has enough room..

3 of us walked CF in Topo Ultraventures last August with only darn tough wool socks. Only on the descent of Alto del Perdón, did I wish for a sturdier shoe. 2 of us experienced no blisters and were pretty happy overall with the shoes. My husband got a couple of blisters after 2 weeks on the trail. He had a bad hip at the time and needed hip replacement surgery and his gait got increasingly uneven. That may have contributed to the development of blisters?

3 of us walked CF in Topo Ultraventures last August with only darn tough wool socks. Only on the descent of Alto del Perdón, did I wish for a sturdier shoe. 2 of us experienced no blisters and were pretty happy overall with the shoes. My husband got a couple of blisters after 2 weeks on the trail. He had a bad hip at the time and needed hip replacement surgery and his gait got increasingly uneven. That may have contributed to the development of blisters?
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a 1/2 size up as well and will see how they feel. Did you find the cushioning adequate? Were you feeling every rock and cobblestone?

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered a 1/2 size up as well and will see how they feel. Did you find the cushioning adequate? Were you feeling every rock and cobblestone?
Good idea on half size up, we did the same. We live in Washington state where we do a lot of hiking and we spent 4 months hiking mountain trails (various terrain) in these shoes prior to CF and so had a good idea of to expect. Yes I felt the cushioning to be adequate, but everyone is different.

.??? There are definitely two or three sections with some nasty rocks along the France Annie

Good idea on half size up, we did the same. We live in Washington state where we do a lot of hiking and we spent 4 months hiking mountain trails (various terrain) in these shoes prior to CF and so had a good idea of to expect. Yes I felt the cushioning to be adequate, but everyone is different.
Between the 1/2 size increase and removal of the liner socks (which prob would have been too hot in July) I am finding the UV2 to be much better. Now trying to decide between it and the Speedgoat 4.

Between the 1/2 size increase and removal of the liner socks (which prob would have been too hot in July) I am finding the UV2 to be much better. Now trying to decide between it and the Speedgoat 4.
I still own pair of Speedgoat 4 but they are too tight for my relatively normal feet .
I use them for short treks and i can't imagine doing 25 kms + .

€60,-
I still own pair of Speedgoat 4 but they are too tight for my relatively normal feet .
I use them for short treks and i can't imagine doing 25 kms + .
Yeah that is my problem with the SG4. The normal is too tight but the wide feels a bit too loose. I have put about 20mi into them and I love the comfort but even with different lacing I get get rid of the heel slippage and the tongue is bulging!

Decided to return my Altra Olympus and go back to my Lone Peaks (this is PRE-Camino). Olympus in .5 size larger is too roomy - foot slides and am unstable, they are much heavier than LP5, my foot isn’t enjoying the less flexible sole, the laces are thin and cut in. LP rock plate is much bigger. Gonna chance it on my SHORT Camino

I was told yesterday that the new Altra Olympus 5 has more stabilizers on the sides now and more cushion. I am still not sure if I like the Atras, they are great but I am on the fence still. Hoka is a fantastic shoe too

Hi Annie, one that automatically comes to mind is the down into Monlinaseca. I found that path to be particularly jagged, but I think that was about it. I hope you are keeping well. :)

Sharon
I agree re the Molinaseca section. I am still having problems 10 weeks after finishing. Cumulative effect of the many rocks on the route has taken a toll. I have now retro-fitted diy rock plates to all of my walking boots and shoes to help with rehabilitation of my feet.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.