• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Important Is The Compostela?

Rhun Leeding

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago - Sept/Oct 2015
Camino Ingles & Santiago to Finisterre & Muxia Sept/Oct 2016
Hi guys,

Just a straw poll really to see what the general thoughts are around the importance of a Compostela?

I have completed two previous caminos so already have my downstairs lavatory decorated by two compostelas and the certificate for completing the onward walk to Muxia. As I prepare for Camino number 3, I know I am somewhat time restricted in terms of tracking all the way to Santiago along the Frances.

I am not especially religious, so the certificate is to me really little more than a scrap of paper. As the most important thing to me is the experience, if you had to choose, would you spend more time with those you meet along the way that are your camino family, or would you desert them early to ensure a Compostela?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rather odd question.
I am wondering if you have a sincere interest in the answers, or maybe just trying to convince yourself the Camino is secular. You seem to go out of your way in the post to say you consider the compostela to be just "a scrap of paper" to be hung up in your loo.

You seem to go out of your way in the post to say you consider the compostela to be just "a scrap of paper" to be hung up in your loo.
Why else would it start with "compost"? ;-)

In the spirit of giving a sincere response, now that I've done my first Camino ,I think that I am less bothered about reaching Santiago on my second. I'm planning to meet a friend (from the first one) in Salamanca and walk with him for at least a week. If I can get more time off, I might continue to Santiago. The "completion" is less important to me than the participation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rather odd question.
I am wondering if you have a sincere interest in the answers, or maybe just trying to convince yourself the Camino is secular. You seem to go out of your way in the post to say you consider the compostela to be just "a scrap of paper" to be hung up in your loo.

Hi,

I must confess that I do not follow Catholicism as my version of Christianity, indeed I was raised in a Methodist version of Christianity. For me, Christianity has less to do with eating the bread that is the body of Christ etcetera.

For that reason, my instinct is just to view the Camino as a religious journey, but not necessarily one where the end is most important. I was wondering what the thoughts of others might be along those lines....essentially whether it is the journey or the completion that is most important?

I apologise if my original wording was disrespectful, it was not my intention, and the joy of seeing a Catholic pilgrim complete the journey, and celebrating their arrival at the end of their pilgrimage is not something beyond me.

..... I am not especially religious, so the certificate is to me really little more than a scrap of paper.

Given that the Compostela is given for completing the pilgrimage because of religious or spiritual reasons, I do not understand why you would have one based on your post. I'm not being critical, just an honest query. There are alternative completion certificates for reasons other than religion. As well, as you already know that for ticking the mileage box, there is the distance certificate as well.

From the Pilgrim Office:

To get the “Compostela” you must:
  • Make the pilgrimage for religious or spiritual reasons, or at least an attitude of search.
  • Do the last 100 km on foot or horseback, or the last 200 km by bicycle. It is understood that the pilgrimage starts at one point and from there you come to visit the Tomb of St. James.
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage).

. . . . I was wondering what the thoughts of others might be along those lines....essentially whether it is the journey or the completion that is most important?

This is part of a post I had made in December. I leave it to you to decide what my take on your question might be. :)

--------------------------------------
During the last couple of days of the Walk to Santiago, so many feelings had occurred ranging the gamut of emotions: Joy, anger, despair, happiness, sadness, hopefulness, regret, contentment… it’s as if my mind, heart, and soul were having a go at playing tug-of-war. One example was when it came my turn for the Compostela in the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago de Compostela. When I walked up to the counter window, I was greeted by the smiling face of a young woman in her early 20s. I requested that my pilgrimage be done in the name of my oldest son, Joshua David, who went to be with God shortly after his birth. I had discussed doing this with his mother, Denise, the previous day to make sure it was ok.

The young volunteer seemed a bit puzzled, but a more experienced volunteer knew what my request was about and briefly talked with the young woman, pointing to a space on the yet-to-be filled out Compostela.

As I watched the Pilgrim Office volunteer add Joshua’s name to that certificate of completion, I suddenly couldn’t hold back the tears. The long miles, the aches and pains, the mental trauma, the hundreds of times I prayed and talked with Jesus, the fatigue, and the meaning that I gave behind the purpose of my walk/pilgrimage seemed to suddenly become narrowly focused into a pinpoint with my dear son’s name.

The poor, sweet volunteer who spoke in halting, but understandable English asked, with a look of concern on her face, if I was alright. All I could do was smile through the tears and tell her, “Yes”, I was better than when I took my first step 30 days before”.

I never thought I would have been affected in so profound a manner. I will be thinking on all these things for a while. I mailed the Compostela to Joshua’s mother. I did purchase a certificate of distance for myself to keep.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Dave,

I do believe that my Camino journeys are because of spiritual or religious reasons. For me, as they were there the compostela served as a nice memento of a journey taken and the spiritual growth along that road. I suppose more what I was digging at, and trying to get an insight of, was where the importance of the Compostela lay in line with what others who undertook the journey would feel.

In truth, if 100% told me they had a differing opinion, I doubt I would change my journey, but it was more a speculative question to identify the thoughts of others.

I requested that my pilgrimage be done in the name of my oldest son, Joshua David, who went to be with God shortly after his birth. I had discussed doing this with his mother, Denise, the previous day to make sure it was ok.

Dave,

In addition to my previous post. While I know my situation leaves me thinking of my father and to an extent obsessed with covering his route, I know this differs from person to person. To read this makes me pray that your Camino delivers the answers and results that you hope for, as different as they are from my own. On the plus side, I know your bag will be a whole lot more efficient than mine!

In addition to my original thoughts along the importance of the compostela, I guess some context may colour your thoughts. My first camino was when I joined my father for his journey from SJPP to Santiago. I met him at Leon, and we walked together from there. to Santiago

A year later, I was in training to walk with dad on the Ingles, and then on to Muxia/Finisterre. In the training for this walk, dad pulled back due to lung problems, but didn't mention the severity of this issue. On completion of the camino, around 3 months later the lung issues led to his passing away.

For me, the Camino forms an important part of the exploration adventures we had (from completing the Pembrokeshire Coastal PAth) in Wales, to completing the Camino. Its spiritual importance to me matches nothing on my religious spectrum.

I apologise for my comment that the Compostela is a 'scrap of paper'; more what i was trying to glean is where others rank the import of the certificate versus the import of the journey itself. In truth, my time restrictions for September mean I may have to trade one for the other.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dave,

In addition to my previous post. While I know my situation leaves me thinking of my father and to an extent obsessed with covering his route, I know this differs from person to person. To read this makes me pray that your Camino delivers the answers and results that you hope for, as different as they are from my own. On the plus side, I know your bag will be a whole lot more efficient than mine!

My camino was during late September and October last year, and the meaning of it, as the one the year previous, has evolved. I appreciate your thoughts :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As I already have a Compostela (very dear to me and obtained for spiritual reasons), the answer to your question would be easy: I don't need an extra one. I'd enjoy the trip and the Camino family.

would you spend more time with those you meet along the way that are your camino family, or would you desert them early to ensure a Compostela?
Odd question and I don't understand how it relates to the discussion. Most people do not stick with a "camino family" and I wouldn't use the word "desert" to describe how people move along.

As I already have a Compostela (very dear to me and obtained for spiritual reasons), the answer to your question would be easy: I don't need an extra one. I'd enjoy the trip and the Camino family.

This probably leans more towards my thinking as I get ready for the next journey. I have told my manager that 30 days should be enough for me to get into Santiago....satisfy that "need" that camino addiction tells me that I cannot live without.
Ultimately, however, I would rather walk with friends I meet for 28 days, than hitting a target of finishing in 30 days.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Dear Rhun, We each have a different journey to take in this world. People asked me in Santiago if I was going to mass,and being Catholics they seemed surprized when I said no. Arriving in Santiago was not the end of a wonderful journey,as I went on to the ocean and my real end. Each of our journeys do not have to be the same. Let us take our own path to the top of the mountain,and not judge the path that others have taken. I did not take my own advise,as I had a glib answer to the question posed me. This year I am walking again,and not going to Santiago,as the trip seems to be more important to me than the destination.And more important to those fellow travelers,BUEN CAMINO.

My credencial means much more to me than my Compostela. I am a Protestant Christian. The Camino has deep spiritual meaning for me, but none of that meaning is impounded in the Compostela. I’m ambivalent about whether to get one on my next Camino.
I agree. I look at mine and think of all the wonderful placed that I have walked. We,in the est seem to not be happy if we do not get a trophy or certificate,although the journey is more important than the prize!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Odd question and I don't understand how it relates to the discussion. Most people do not stick with a "camino family" and I wouldn't use the word "desert" to describe how people move along.
Yes, I think that whole "camino family" thing is a result of a movie. Now some feel a need to have one. I found it more interesting to walk and socialize with several groups of pilgrims, and at times be alone for days.
The first time I walked the Frances I had four what would be called "camino families".
Anyway, the original question at hand that started the thread, and I don't mean to insult or offend anyone by saying this, is IMO pure rubbish and has a bit of a prodding, perhaps trolling air to it. Seems to have a slight intent to invoke a visceral reaction to it.
It could have simply been asked "what's more important to you fellow pilgrims....the experience or getting the compostela?".
Instead the OP makes a point to say he isn't religious, he regards the compostela to be just a scrap of paper, hung for all to see while they sit on a commode. I mean, c'mon....

Yes, I think that whole "camino family" thing is a result of a movie. Now some feel a need to have one. I found it more interesting to walk and socialize with several groups of pilgrims, and at times be alone for days.
The first time I walked the Frances I had four what would be called "camino families".
Anyway, the original question at hand that started the thread, and I don't mean to insult or offend anyone by saying this, is IMO pure rubbish and has a bit of a prodding, perhaps trolling air to it. Seems to have a slight intent to invoke a visceral reaction to it.
It could have simply been asked "what's more important to you fellow pilgrims....the experience or getting the compostela?".
Instead the OP makes a point to say he isn't religious, he regards the compostela to be just a scrap of paper, hung for all to see while they sit on a commode. I mean, c'mon....
Please give Rhun or others their own views on this matter. Maybe he could have worded it more to your liking,but has the right to say what he wants,as do you. We seem to be arguing semantics,while the bigger picture is that we are engaging in a wonderful experience,whatever the reasons.

Rather odd question.
Cannot the camino be whatever one chooses it to be? Saying that it has to be this or that seems to be missing the whole point of the thing

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The meaning of the Compostela has changed a lot in recent years - both for me personally and for the cathedral which issues it. It used to be given to those who visited the shrine in a devotional spirit ("pietatis causa") and it was normal for someone from the cathedral staff to talk with arriving pilgrims about their journey and hear from them first-hand what it meant to them before one was issued. Distance walked was not a qualification. As time has gone by the rules for receiving one have become ever more restrictive and narrowly technical and there is now little or no real interest in a person's motivation for walking or for requesting a Compostela. It is now a tick-box exercise. At the end of my most recent Camino in November I discovered that the cathedral's rules have changed once more and that now the final 100km must be walked on an officially recognised Camino: explicitly endorsing the growing belief that it is the journey itself and not the destination which is significant. By chance the final 102km of my walk was on the Camino Ingles and I was advised that my pilgrimage could only be recorded as beginning at Neda rather than its actual starting point some 40+km further north. Was it worth accepting a piece of paper which would be associated with such a half-truth and a changed understanding of pilgrimage I do not share? I decided not and left without a Compostela for that journey. I think it very unlikely that I will ask for another in future as it has lost its significance for me.

Hi guys,

Just a straw poll really to see what the general thoughts are around the importance of a Compostela?

I have completed two previous caminos so already have my downstairs lavatory decorated by two compostelas and the certificate for completing the onward walk to Muxia. As I prepare for Camino number 3, I know I am somewhat time restricted in terms of tracking all the way to Santiago along the Frances.

I am not especially religious, so the certificate is to me really little more than a scrap of paper. As the most important thing to me is the experience, if you had to choose, would you spend more time with those you meet along the way that are your camino family, or would you desert them early to ensure a Compostela?
RJM, I agree with you I have done 10 Caminos and will do another this year. I have only saved two of my Campostelas and got rid of the others two or three. Last year I didn't receive one nor will I get any other. For me, the thrill of receiving one is over. The Adventure of doing the Camino for me is more important.

I discovered that the cathedral's rules have changed once more and that now the final 100km must be walked on an officially recognised Camino
Ah well. Let us hope some-one from the Cathedral posts a list of the "Officially recognised Camino. Or should we just follow the Senda as laid down by the Xunta de Galicia. I know the Invierno received recognition but I guess that that wipes the Verde off the list of any aspirant Compostella clutcher. From your recent experience @Bradypus it seems the Camino Del Mar extending the Norte round to Ferrol is a no-no.. The Salvador will be out 'cos it doesn't go to Santiago it goes to Oviedo. The Madrid will be out 'cos it goes to Sahagun - your Compostella will start from there no matter where you started from. The Lana, the Aragones, the Vasco: well they all "start" in Burgos. I suspect there will be surprises galore at the PO counters this summer.

But to answer the OP. My first Compostella is important to me. I made Pilgrimage to Santiago in pietatis causa. I paid my respects to the bones of one who, perhaps, touched the divine. And the Cathedral granted me a Compostella in recognition of my Pilgrimage.

I don't claim them anymore. I'm an invisible pilgrim; perhaps on a different road to a different place.

Edit: I don't know why but everything I type is struck through. Perhaps the Old Guys are trying to tell me something.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think it really is each to their own. I walk the Camino because I like the solitude of long walks - I guess that is my interpretation of spiritual. I have 3 Compostelas, but did not get one last time and probably will not next time - not least because the queues are getting far too long!

The Lana, the Aragones, the Vasco: well they all "start" in Burgos. I suspect there will surprises galore at the PO desks this summer.

I do not think it will be a major issue. Almost all those who arrive and request a Compostela will have walked the final 100km on one of the recognised routes. I suspect that very few walk routes of their own devising. The volunteer I spoke with told me that the same rules apply to local Galicians these days too. So someone who lives close to the cathedral can only receive a Compostela if he or she first travels away from the city to a point on a recognised route and then walks at least 100km on that path. I find that a bizarre situation.

I guess I was thinking about the "from" bit. The last 100 km you would probably struggle to avoid an official route. In 2017 I was "assured" that the Verde was not a Camino route. So, presumably I might have only "walked" from Sobrado, not Lugo.

Lo que pasa pasa!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I believe the journey and the experience is the point of the pilgrimage. The Compostela IMHO is akin to a postcard or souvenir - a nice reminder of the journey.

Rather odd question.
I truly believe the Camino has become secular.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I truly believe the Camino has become secular.
Sure you do, mate. Sure you do.
Now whether you truly believe that it is secular, or again it is a comment made for trolling reasons, is unknown.

Once you have your first Compostela, especially if coming off a ‘full-route”, like the Frances from SJPdP, Portuguese from Lisbon, Plata from Seville, or Norte from Irun, the credential is likely more important. That is what many folks tell me at Santiago.

Many of these veteran pilgrims just ask for the Cathedral stamp (solo sello) to indicate that they finished. The contents of the credential, all the sellos, dates and side notes, usually tell a much more robust story. This also engenders a lot more memories than the Compostela.

I am falling into that group now. The first time I do a ‘full-route,’ I get the Compostela and distance certificate. After that, the stamp, signifying completion is enough.

Hope this helps the dialog.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi guys,

I have completed two previous caminos so already have my downstairs lavatory decorated by two compostelas and the certificate for completing the onward walk to Muxia. As I prepare for Camino number 3, I know I am somewhat time restricted in terms of tracking all the way to Santiago along the Frances.nificant
"whatever"
tting

On my first (and only) Camino, I picked up stamps along the way but when I reached Santiago 6 weeks later, getting the certificate seemed completely insignificant to me. Two years later, no regrets. Rather than hunt down stamps every day I would rather spend my time doing "whatever" than seeking stamps. It's what you learned and experienced that counts.

€149,-
Ah well. Let us hope some-one from the Cathedral posts a list of the "Officially recognised Camino. Or should we just follow the Senda as laid down by the Xunta de Galicia. I know the Invierno received recognition but I guess that that wipes the Verde off the list of any aspirant Compostella clutcher. From your recent experience @Bradypus it seems the Camino Del Mar extending the Norte round to Ferrol is a no-no.. The Salvador will be out 'cos it doesn't go to Santiago it goes to Oviedo. The Madrid will be out 'cos it goes to Sahagun - your Compostella will start from there no matter where you started from. The Lana, the Aragones, the Vasco: well they all "start" in Burgos. I suspect there will be surprises galore at the PO counters this summer.

But to answer the OP. My first Compostella is important to me. I made Pilgrimage to Santiago in pietatis causa. I paid my respects to the bones of one who, perhaps, touched the divine. And the Cathedral granted me a Compostella in recognition of my Pilgrimage.

I don't claim them anymore. I'm an invisible pilgrim; perhaps on a different road to a different place.

Edit: I don't know why but everything I type is struck through. Perhaps the Old Guys are trying to tell me something.
I think that the church is wanting to funnel people to Santiago. This mass has become a theatrical production ,with money being paid to make the ball swing,and paid pack storage,and who knows what else! Over 2 million tourists come to Santiago yearly,and a few hundred pilgrims scattered around the crowd,lends to the aura of it all.

Once you have your first Compostela, especially if coming off a ‘full-route”, like the Frances from SJPdP, Portuguese from Lisbon, Plata from Seville, or Norte from Irun, the credential is likely more important. That is what many folks tell me at Santiago.

Many of these veteran pilgrims just ask for the Cathedral stamp (solo sello) to indicate that they finished. The contents of the credential, all the sellos, dates and side notes, usually tell a much more robust story. This also engenders a lot more memories than the Compostela.

I am falling into that group now. The first time I do a ‘full-route,’ I get the Compostela and distance certificate. After that, the stamp, signifying completion is enough.

Hope this helps the dialog.

I would generally agree with t2andreo but, just as I was about to leave for one of my Caminos, one of my old bosses was shipped into palliative care to smooth her way out-- she had planned to walk the Camino with her two boys as soon as they were old enough, but it was not to be. There is a mediaeval practice of walking the Camino for someone who has died and, arriving in Santiago, the Compostela is annoted for that person. And a year later, cancer took another friend of mine, who had also intended to walk it with her daughter when she recovered but, again in this case, there was no recovery; after discussing it with her daughter, I walked it again and obtained the annotated Compostela.

My first one is framed; the others are scattered about my house, but the last two are with the families of my friends. I'm fine with all of this.

I totally agree with you. I have walked two Caminos “in vicare pro.” This is what you tell the person behind the desk.

Inform them you walked the Camino on behalf of a relative / close triend who is too ill to ever make the journey or who has passed.

It helps if you give them a piece of paper with the full name of the person written on it.

This service is free.

But, you know all this. I am being redundant for others reading this thread.

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would generally agree with t2andreo but, just as I was about to leave for one of my Caminos, one of my old bosses was shipped into palliative care to smooth her way out-- she had planned to walk the Camino with her two boys as soon as they were old enough, but it was not to be. There is a mediaeval practice of walking the Camino for someone who has died and, arriving in Santiago, the Compostela is annoted for that person. And a year later, cancer took another friend of mine, who had also intended to walk it with her daughter when she recovered but, again in this case, there was no recovery; after discussing it with her daughter, I walked it again and obtained the annotated Compostela.

My first one is framed; the others are scattered about my house, but the last two are with the families of my friends. I'm fine with all of this.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I hope that in the majority of cases, in line with my apology above, that my question hasn't been taken to be offensive.

Your walking the camino on behalf of others is more than just something that is come to an end when the mileage has been covered.

For me, while to an extent I am walking for my father, the truth is that I am walking for myself. To help me deal with the loss of my father.

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite words ever learned from my experience...Perspective. What isn't important now to us, might be later and what is important to us now, might not be later. 👣

I guess I was thinking about the "from" bit. The last 100 km you would probably struggle to avoid an official route. In 2017 I was "assured" that the Verde was not a Camino route. So, presumably I might have only "walked" from Sobrado, not Lugo.

Lo que pasa pasa!
I walked from Oviedo,via the Verde all the way to Santiago,and had no trouble getting my papers.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am not especially religious, so the certificate is to me really little more than a scrap of paper.

If you are religious or not does not matter. For religious people faith, dedication and pilgrimage do not depend on a piece of paper either.

Nevertheless we all like to hold something in our hands as a proof of achievement ... simple human psychology ;-)
If you have two Compostelas already, it should be easy to skip the third though ...

If you're not a Catholic or Orthodox Christian needing to demonstrate for legal reasons your valid obtainment of a partial or plenary indulgence, it's not much "important" at all except as a kindly souvenir -- but I still love all of mine, even though I always treat them very poorly.

But I *do* tend these years to glue them into my Credenciales, to show on my walking a revès that I've "been there, done that". That's exactly what I'll do this year too BTW.

All the Way back home.

A Compostela is worth a thousand Sellos ...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.