• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How is Camino Portugues compared to Camino del Norte?

Nikolas

Time of past OR future Camino
del norte 2017
I walked Caminp del norte june 2017 and really did enjoy the journey. Not to crowded, alot of people my age (25) and the coast nearby.

Is the Camino Portugues similar? Would you recommend it for someone my age?

I would love to hear about similarities and differences!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I didn't walk the North way myself but walked with someone who did. He said in comparison the Portuguese way seems like a very easy walk, as the terrain is mostly flat. So you may not need trekking boots there, runners will do. Both the coastal and the central ways from Porto are popular but generally not very busy, no rush for the beds, the infrastructure is great, and it's definitely more budget. Plenty of people of your age there. If you decide to walk from Lisbon be prepared to walk long stages. Bom Caminho!

Two totally different routes. First of all you will miss the Portuguese hospitality on the norte and miss the kindness of the Portuguese people.
The Portuguese is most on hard surface. You will find towns, villages and hamlets short from each other . The Norte is more remote.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They are totally different.

I enjoyed the Norte more, personally, as I walked the central Portuguese route and worried more about getting hit by a car on those winding shoulderless narrow roads than enjoying the scenery. But I understand the coastal Portuguese route is better.

Where the Portuguese winds back and forth, the Norte road goes UP and DOWN! lol! Plenty of hills.

They are totally different.

I enjoyed the Norte more, personally, as I walked the central Portuguese route and worried more about getting hit by a car on those winding shoulderless narrow roads than enjoying the scenery. But I understand the coastal Portuguese route is better.

Where the Portuguese winds back and forth, the Norte road goes UP and DOWN! lol! Plenty of hills.

I've done the Norte and both the Portuguese routes (Caminho Portugês da Costa and the Central) and I agree with Annie's observations. After the first few days on the Central route out of Porto I muttered to myself: "why would anyone choose to walk here?" Lots of hard surfaces and walking along roads with cars speeding by. And this was in March so very few pilgrims were walking. I hate to think what it's like in the summer! The only saving grace was staying with Fernanda and her family at Casa Fernanda. Although to be fair, the Central does go through some pleasant towns. personally I would not repeat the route.

The coastal route was an improvement (still LOTS of hard surfaces) but all in all I preferred the Norte for the rugged coastal scenery and varied terrain. Most of this Portuguese coast is built up, walking along boardwalks. A nice walk but not much of a challenge.

To be fair I guess that you should take my comments with a grain of salt as I live within 15 minutes of the Dutch coast with lovely beaches and dunes and so was less enamored with that part of the Portuguese coast. But if you want to see a truly amazing part of Portuguese coastline I suggest walking the Rota Vicentina (but that's not what you asked;)).

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back