• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how is this packing list?

cloud86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago: August - September 2013

Camino de Santiago: August - September 2019
Hi guys

So I leave for SJPDP in a months time and I’m just doing some final prepping and packing, my list looks a little like this.

X 3 T shirts
X 1 shirt
X 1 long sleeve shirt
X 2 pair of shorts
X 2 hiking trousers
X 5 pairs of hiking and ankle sport socks
X 5 pairs of underwear (boxers)

North face fold up Water proof jacket
Pumps (in down time )
hat

Travel towel
Sun glasses
Camera
Pocket knife
Torch
Sleeping bag
Bum bag
John breiley guide book.
Water bottle
Toiletries
First aid and blister kit
Sun cream
Euro plug socket and spare batteries
A cheap £1 poncho

My boots are worn in and I have a berghaus 35 litre free flow pack.
Ill buy my hiking stick in St Jean, and as Ill be walking in August would it be worth taking a hoodie also?
Does this seem about right for a packing list, it comes up to around 10kg exactly. Ill be wearing one set.
Any tips or advice would be of great help cheers dudes and beun Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi!

Looks pretty good to me. I'd lose 1 pair of trousers and possibly 1 pair of shorts, especially if one of the trousers are cut offs and the shorts are suitable for walking in. Also lose one pair of undies at least. I'd take a light fleece/hoodie for the evening.

I've used the Berghaus 35+8 Freeflow backpack on my Caminos and it's ideal.

Buen Camino!

I've read a sink stopper or similar can be useful :)

AML said:
I've read a sink stopper or similar can be useful :)
Yep. So are a couple of nappy pins or similar to hang any damp clothes off your pack. :shock:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
tyrrek said:
Hi!

I'd lose 1 pair of trousers and possibly 1 pair of shorts, especially if one of the trousers are cut offs and the shorts are suitable for walking in. Also lose one pair of undies at least. I'd take a light fleece/hoodie for the evening.

Yup.

OP are you counting on doing laundry once a week? Then add something to keep the clean and dirty clothes apart.

The knife is coming from the UK? Are you checking the bag?

What's the adapter plug for? The camera?

Nice list!
response:
do you need three t shirts? One to wear, one to wash and hang on your pack to dry - what is the third one for?
You can alter two pairs of shorts and two pairs of trousers to two pairs of zip-off trousers (then you have both).
5 pairs of socks and underwear? one to wear, one to wash - what are the other three for?
pumps - I don't know what pumps are but assume lightweight shoes of some type? Always good to have slipper or sandal type things, as long as they are really light - really light - and maybe plastic/foam type so you can wear them in the shower - crocs are really light.
Torch. Make it a headtorch, not a handheld.
Brierley guide is quite wonderful but very heavy - good for reading at home but the Michelin 160 'Camino de Santiago' has all the info you will need and weighs just a tiny fraction of the Brierley.
Water bottle is a choice - a lot of people buy plastic bottles of water and refill them along the way. You can get 750cl bottles - buy two and you can balance your backpack - of which - your choice of 35 litres, perfect light size!

You might want to take a small personal book with you - non-fiction ... something inspiring and relevant to your pilgrimage, something where each page can be read and meditated on.

Pocket knife - absolutely! preferably one that has scissors and a cork screw and a toothpick and tweezers on!
Take a small sewing/repair kit with you - one reel and a couple of needles will do.
A tiny tube of superglue for sticking clothing/rucksack/footwear back together again. It isn't just you out there, and helping other pilgrims is a nice thing to be able to do.
Ear plugs!!!!! more than one pair (easy to lose one).
A napkin (personal choice) - great for spreading out whilst you are having a snack, for using as a cool wet facecloth and so on.
Safety pins - the nappy/diaper type that lock closed - great for hanging drying clothing on your pack.
Photocopies of your important documents to be kept separately (or you can leave a file online).
Small bags so that you can wrap your items separately - helps for sorting and also if it rains. Also useful for rustling them back at the 4.30am wide awake and active bag-rustling German pilgrims.
Pepper and salt mills - you can get tiny ones and the only way to get real pepper and salt on the Camino, a small container of olive oil - and then your daily backup food - small pack pasta, fresh stuff grazed along the way. If you like yoghurts and so on then take a small spoon with you - a spork is ideal.

You might want to take something to keep you warm - even in hot weather the mountains can be cold - but, remember that you will be passing through towns and cities, and they all have shops.

Buen Camino - not long now!!

Hi.....Downloaded my passport/credit cards/drivers licence etc onto a usb stick,also photos when the camera memory was full....saved carrying /sorting through paper....worked for me......enjoy...Vicr P.S Dont forget to take your sense of humour..it will open doors.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cheers for the replies guys, lol yeah I have ear plugs and ill drop one or two things, good points! Ill Defo take a hoodie for the evenings. Is it also worth taking a sleeping matt?

I would agree with the other comments that you really don't need as much clothing. I go with David's advice -- one to wear, one to wash, and that's it. One long sleeve shirt, one short sleeve shirt. If you don't have zip-off pants, I'd say bring one pair of pants and one of shorts. With the heat of August, everything dries very quickly. The only exception I might make would be for socks. If you get a lot of rain and it's damp, you might be glad to have an extra (third) pair of socks.

I never walk without a lightweight fleece, no matter what time of year. Depending on your own body regulator, you may not need it, but if you tend to be chilly, I think you'll find times to wear it, even in high summer. But that's just me.

10 kilos without food or water added is beyond my comfort range, but everyone has different strength. But you'll probably have at least another 1 1/2 -2 kilos when that's added.

To plagiarize Paul Tsongas, a US Senator who died young -- No one ever said on his deathbed, I wish I had carried more stuff in my backpack on the Camino. (He actually said, "No one ever said on his deathbed -- I wish I had spent more time in the office." Or something like that -- which is also good food for thought, IMO).

Buen camino, cloud86! Laurie

Hi,

I would lose some shirt. You really only need 3 and 2 pairs of trousers are adequate as well.

I would recommend a light fleece type off pullover for in the evenings and for cold nights.

Buon camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Finished my (first) Camino a couple of weeks ago and was a complete novice in everything except packing. My rucksack (with contents - ex food & water) in Dublin airport weighed 5.1kg and I had almost every item you list here.

Dump the following:
1 x t-shirt
1 x shorts
1 x socks
1 or 2 x boxers
1 x pocket knife - I didn't have one and never needed one
1 x sleeping bag - get a silk sleeping bag liner instead
Bum bag
Guide book - there's zero chance of getting lost on the Frances
No need at all for a sleeping mat
Carefully select your toilettries - one bar of soap for washing yourself and your clothes, one travel-sized toothbrush, one travel-sized toothpaste and a small roll-on deodorant - do you really need anything else?

Weigh your rucksack again after that and thank me later!

Buen Camino!

Weigh

So I leave for SJPDP in a months time and I’m just doing some final prepping and packing, my list looks a little like this.

skip 2 of:
X 3 T shirts
X 1 shirt
X 1 long sleeve shirt

only one of each
X 2 pair of shorts
X 2 hiking trousers

max 3 of each, bring only hiking, new ones
X 5 pairs of hiking and ankle sport socks
X 5 pairs of underwear (boxers)

I got lost twice on my first Camino - early in the season so not many pilgrims around - one of the detours added miles and miles (but was very pretty). :|

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So did I.....Just out of Souilac, some fool or fools switched the signs,ended up in a dark forest where they grow mushrooms,thought I would be living on them for a couple of days, I H A T E mushrooms,had my Michelin 337 map with me,eventually walked out after six hours......anyhow ,can't be rabbiting on......Vicr ps I always carry a compass & maps, this time I lost it somewhere is'nt it always the way.
I

David said:
You might want to take a small personal book with you - non-fiction ... something inspiring and relevant to your pilgrimage, something where each page can be read and meditated on.

Any suggestions?

Hi cloud
You'll be starting several hrs ahead of me from sjpdep and I know that your travel plans include a few extra weeks travel in Europe so explains the few extras pieces of clothing.
You could think of sorting out the stuff you want for later and arrange to 'send on' for collection in Santiago . I've been in contact with a fellow walker leaving the day after us in your position sending extra suitcase to the end as she is joining a tour. Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
David said:
I got lost twice on my first Camino - early in the season so not many pilgrims around - one of the detours added miles and miles (but was very pretty). :|
Those who didn't miss a marker think it's impossible to get lost. I am with the others who know just how quickly it can happen.

If you are a confident navigator with decent maps that allow you to adjust your path, it is possible to keep going on a slightly different route. Brierley and some of the other strip map guides don't provide sufficient information, and unless you find a local who can provide directions, one just has to back track. Walking without a guidebook is much the same.

I agree with David, some detours I took were in beautiful places, and made up for the other inconveniences involved.

Regards,

NoorvanderVeen said:
David said:

Any suggestions?

Kindle e-book. Then you can bring many titles for the weight of one book. I even tried to get a guidebook in electronic format but was only able to get a PDF that didnt work very well.

If you want a title I would recommend Time Enough For Love by Robert A Heinlein. Sci Fi so tightly packed with ideas you'll want to read it again.

I would agree with the advice given around reducing the amount of clothes. I managed with three sets of everything (except shorts, for which two was sufficient, and I didn't bother with long pants is April/May). It worked fine (well, except for my one day off in Pamploma, where it snowed).

The guidebook on the other hand, I found invaluable. The signage is pretty clear the vast majority of the time, but there were a couple of times where I found it helpful to be able reference landmarks on the map when trying to figure out which way to go.

More importantly for me, it was very helpful when planning the following day, to be able to see what my accommodation options were at the various potentials stopping points, plus knowing how far it might be to the next agua con gas. :) Plus there are little maps of a lot of the various end of stage towns, which occasionally came in handy.

If you do take the guide, one suggestion I would make is as much as is feasible, avoid staying at the places suggested in guidebook. I found the places that were in between the guidebook stops to be less crowded, though in April, it wasn't that bad anywhere.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
whariwharangi said:
NoorvanderVeen said:
David said:

Any suggestions?

Kindle e-book. Then you can bring many titles for the weight of one book. I even tried to get a guidebook in electronic format but was only able to get a PDF that didnt work very well.

If you want a title I would recommend Time Enough For Love by Robert A Heinlein. Sci Fi so tightly packed with ideas you'll want to read it again.

I was really thinking of just one book, a religious book - to carry a library takes one away from the inner processes of pilgrimage - part of that process being when one isn't walking and has all that time that is not filled with the usual distractions. There is a great unease when there is "nothing to do" - at first that is. To fill it with all the nonsense of that world we left is to lose a process that takes us to a calm and joyful contentment and awareness. I take The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis

David - thank you for sharing. You've given me something to think about. I have an ereader and had planned to take it along with a whole library, but your point makes sense. Sometimes, it is good to have 'nothing' to do. I'm really going to consider leaving all those books at home and take just one book, maybe even Thomas A Kempis. I have to admit, I wasn't raised christian so I have very little knowledge of the bible, but The Imitation of Christ does interest me.

One to wear one to wash!! Earplugs. Clothespins. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back