• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How isolated in September/October?

Brigidam

I walked all the French way 3 times, and I would like to do the half Via de la Plata, from Salamanca or Merida from about The 8'th of September. But I am a bit worried about a few things I've read.

1 - The long stretches between the albergues, without any cafés or places to take a break. I read somewhere that you can't even find a stone or anything to sit and rest. I can't walk much more than 25 km a day.

2 - I have also read that you sometimes find yourself being the only pilgrim in the albergues. I like to walk alone, but I also like to meet others sometimes, on the way and in the albergues.

3 - Paved road walking.

I would like to hear the experience from you who walked this part of the Via de la Plata in September/October.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was hospitalera on the Via de la Plata a few times and I assure you there will be fellow travelers in Sept. and at least early October. The summer heat drives most pilgrims to walk in either Spring or Autumn. There's always a chance you will be alone a night or two, but solitude is an important part of the "alternative camino" experience.

I am almost sure you will meet other pilgrims every day in September / October. About the distances, it is true that some stretches are long and most days there are no facilities in between stages. I have always found places to rest. A stone, a bench and sometimes just a field or a tree. Because the N630 is always near, a lot of villages are reachable by bus. This might be an alternative for the few stages above 25 kms.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's not as bad as it's reputation After all, I'm doing it for the second time in a few weeks. Why don't you consider starting from Sevilla. The South of Spain is gorgeous and quite different to the CF. Just a thought cheers grace

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

I really would like to start from Sevilla, but I wouldn't be able to walk more than 25 km. a day. And I don't like the idea of having to take a taxi. By the way, isn't it still quite hot when you start this month?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks a lot for the info.

30-37 km. will be more than I can walk. I've been trying to find out if there are any alternative accommodations on these long stretches, but I haven't found any yet. I thought maybe there are some hostels that are not to be found on the internet, i.e. without websites. Does anyone no about this?

The Gronze site shows intermediate points, and there seem to be some for every long segment. The result may be two days that are too short!

Yes, you are right.
According to the Gronze site (great site) there are albergues or hostals between the long segments. Then I wonder why there is so much talking about the very long walks on the Via de la Plata on this forum. It has kept me from doing it. Till now. I think I'll just buy a ticket to Madrid and start walking from Salamanca (beginning of September) and see for myself. I know you never know when an albergue is suddenly closed, or if there is a bed. However, I believe I'll manage somehow.
Thank you very much for the info!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
According to the Gronze site (great site) there are albergues or hostals between the long segments. Then I wonder why there is so much talking about the very long walks on the Via de la Plata on this forum.
People get locked into the suggested stages???

Hi Brigidam,
I never had a problem and only 2 long days but by then I was really accostomed to the walking. There are more options on these stretches now. I actually prepared less for the VdlP than the CF and had no problems. (I’m over 50!)
I was also worried about the ‘hype’ (long stages, less accommodation) before I embarked but really found no issue.
You can read my (very old) blog here if you have time http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/30699/
Cheers, Grace

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you, Grace! I´ll read your blog. I´m glad to hear that you didn't have problems with long stretches. That - and the Gronze site - gave me a lot more courage. I'm aware that the VdlP is very different from the CF. I see that the cafés and groceries are few on the VdlP. I'll just carry more food and water on the VdlP. I chose to do the last part, from Salamanca, because I got the impression from this forum that the first part has more and longer and more deserted stretches. I don't know if I got that right. Besides, I don't have time enough to do all the way this year. Maybe I will next year. However, now I'm looking forward to start walking in the beginning of next month.
I wish you all the best on your way.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back