• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How late is too late to leave SJPP and still make it Roncesvalles?

mayasol

Time of past OR future Camino
Autumn 2013
I will be arriving in SJPP on the 7:45 train from Bayonne. It arrives at 9:04. Do I have time to get my credentials and then make it at a decent pace to Roncesvalles? Sunset is at 8:15. What is the latest one should leave SJPP?

I have no idea how long the process is at the pilgrim's office. I have no idea the weather conditions. I just have no idea...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

You are walking this week? The excitement must be overwhelming.

Let's see, you don't mention how far you have traveled before getting to SJPdP. If you are coming from far away, this could be a challenge to start on the same day. For now, I'll assume you will be ready to go as soon as possible.

I don't think you will have to spend much time at the office during this time of year. It is great to arrive, get some information, get passport, check weather report for sure. A 10 minute walk to office, 1/2 hour at office, pick up some food supplies if haven't already, and then on your way.

The first time I walked to Roncesvalles, it took me 6.5 hours with a small break. The second time it took me just a little over 5 hours in a complete freezing rain storm. Not a good picture day, so I simply went at my fun pace and had a blast. I train quite a bit, so this isn't the norm for everyone.

So if you start 10 or half 1o, you could have an amazing first day and still arrive early eve. Dang, I wish I was doing this now.

Don't worry, having no idea is one of the best parts of the Camino. I often see those who have all the ideas and not last more than a couple of days.

One thing we can be certain is to trust the arrows and listen to our bodies. Oops, that's two things.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I left SJPP at 10 AM and arrived at Roncesvalles at...uhm...I don't know exactly. It was still light out though so I reckon around 7 or 8? But I was walking through some terrible weather too so that slowed me for sure.

If I were you, I'd stay a day in SJPP. It's an interesting city to walk around and you may want to get some stuff before you set out. Arriving at 9 AM, getting your credentials, and then setting off is kind of...rushed. You can, of course, do it however you want, but I really enjoyed my day in SJPP.

You might be a lot fitter than I am, but I wouldn't plan on starting the whole way then. It's a bit of a climb from the railway station to the pilgrim office, then there may/may not be a queue. But maybe you could look around SJPP, buy some food for the walk, and just head up as far as Hunto or Orisson that first day, if you can get a booking. Then again you might be a whole lot fitter than I am...
Margaret

@soydechiapas
If you decide to walk "only" to Huntto or Orisson the first day you arrive, here you can find contact details for making reservation:
http://www.gronze.com/albergues/camino-frances/albergue-ferme-ithurburia-honto.htm
http://www.gronze.com/albergues/camino-frances/refugio-orisson.htm

Maybe this is not a bad idea. It gives you a good portion of time for quick sight-seeing in Saint Jean, to buy some stuff you might need in next two days (if you take the Napoleon route the first market is after Roncesvalles just as you enter Burguete but opens at 9am if I remember correctly), visit to the Pilgrims office, nice breakfast etc.

Ultreia!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Another vote here for taking the first day easy! Enjoy SJPdP and then walk on to Huntto or Orisson and the next day to Roncesvalles. No need to rush, you are on the Camino now ;-) Buen Camino! SY

I've done that, taking the night train from Paris and then the first local train to SJPP and hiking that day to Roncesvalles. If you're in good shape and are a seasoned walker with a light backpack you should have no problem if you have good weather. Good weather is the key.

Getting your credentials depends in large part on how many people are in line before you. 10 or 15 minutes is what it takes once you show your ID and fill in a form or two. Piece of cake. Grab some bread and cheese and hit the trail if the sun is shining. Other people who spent the night in SJPP may not leave until 8 or 9 am so they are not far ahead.

(I've also started late in the day and wild camped on the trail halfway up the mountain.)

I will be arriving in SJPP on the 7:45 train from Bayonne. It arrives at 9:04. Do I have time to get my credentials and then make it at a decent pace to Roncesvalles? Sunset is at 8:15. What is the latest one should leave SJPP?

I have no idea how long the process is at the pilgrim's office. I have no idea the weather conditions. I just have no idea...
I have done that, credential, no more 5 to 10 minutes, 6 to 8 hours on trail, very doable, you will catch and pass a lot of slow walkers, or ever chat to them to get them to finish, you will be on a high when you reach roncesvalles, Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will not have a line mid-September, so you can make Roncesvalles in one day. Many do!

Buen camino.

Hey,

I am arriving about 19:30 in the evening of 29th October, I plan to have an enjoyable day in SJPdP the following day, filling out all my paperwork at the office, chill out a bit, think about whay lays ahead and then have the pilgrim meal in the evening and set off around 8:30am the following day :)

As long as I am back for Chirstmas with my family in Scotland (as I was away doing some travel round mainland Europe last year) I don't care how long this Camino take me!

Good luck to you, like Mralisn said, the excitment must be overwhelming!!

@soydechiapas
If you decide to walk "only" to Huntto or Orisson the first day you arrive, here you can find contact details for making reservation:
http://www.gronze.com/albergues/camino-frances/albergue-ferme-ithurburia-honto.htm
http://www.gronze.com/albergues/camino-frances/refugio-orisson.htm

Maybe this is not a bad idea. It gives you a good portion of time for quick sight-seeing in Saint Jean, to buy some stuff you might need in next two days (if you take the Napoleon route the first market is after Roncesvalles just as you enter Burguete but opens at 9am if I remember correctly), visit to the Pilgrims office, nice breakfast etc.

Ultreia!

Thank you for this information. I for one do NOT plan to walk the entire first stage and hope to stop at Orisson. Do you think making a reservation is necessary to get a bed? I was rather hoping to go low tech and just sleep where I arrive but perhaps I am being wrecklessly optimistic? I plan to walk far but slowly and not race, in particular not pay any attention to the "stages" and stop when I want...Cheers!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You should have a reservation for Orisson. They do fill up, and you do not want to arrive to a full house.

Thanks for the advice! I arrive in Paris on Friday, and I am going to Lyon, France for the weekend to detox a little. The past several weeks have been very stressful and I don't see it slowing down until I step foot on the plane. I will arrive in Bayonne on Monday evening, and then get to SJPP on Tuesday morning. I just think that by that point, I will be anxious to start.

I think that I will play it by ear, and if the weather is nice and I can get going by 10:30, I will head out.

Thank you for this information. I for one do NOT plan to walk the entire first stage and hope to stop at Orisson. Do you think making a reservation is necessary to get a bed? I was rather hoping to go low tech and just sleep where I arrive but perhaps I am being wrecklessly optimistic? I plan to walk far but slowly and not race, in particular not pay any attention to the "stages" and stop when I want...Cheers!
I tried to book at Orisson for next week, and they are full. That is actually why I am questioning doing the whole walk in one day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I tried to book at Orisson for next week, and they are full. That is actually why I am questioning doing the whole walk in one day.
Oy! Booked up a week in advance?? Wow...I will have to rethink my plans for May 2014 - thanks so much for the heads up

@mayasol
You still may book the Huntto...
... or Valcarlos if the weather wouldn't be nice.

@Irene Elisabet
You have more than enough time for making reservation for May 2014 :D

Ultreia!

I don't know if things have changed, but the last time I was in Orisson, there was a "tent section" that is done on a first come first serve basis, no reservations possible for those. I think they are for two people and there are pads on the tent floor so you don't need to have one. I heard no complaints from people who slept there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You'd need roughly an hour or so in SJPP to 1) get your bearings 2) get some supplies, no matter how light and quick 3) locate the pilgrim office and get the credencial

I've left SJPP as late as 10 AM, which basically means you walk most likely alone, and miss the Pilgrims' Mass at Roncesvalles.

I don't know if things have changed, but the last time I was in Orisson, there was a "tent section" that is done on a first come first serve basis, no reservations possible for those. I think they are for two people and there are pads on the tent floor so you don't need to have one. I heard no complaints from people who slept there.

That's seasonal. There's similar at Roncesvalles in Holy Years IIRC

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back