• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long did it take for you to get to "de-cluttering" after Camino?

Time of past OR future Camino
...not that it really matters in the big scheme of things. Just curious....no poll required!

But, after almost a decade back, I still remember that "cleaning out" was close to the top of the list for pilgrims met after...oh, we'll say Triacastela.

I have made small steps since then but, today, started in 'full tilt'.

By way of background, my dearest told me that the decision to throw away was based upon hugging an item. If one felt no real attachment after ten seconds then away the item went to either rubbish or recycling.

Mind you, I am now suspicious every time time she hugs me. ;)

B

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...not that it really matters in the big scheme of things. Just curious....no poll required!

But, after almost a decade back, I still remember that "cleaning out" was close to the top of the list for pilgrims met after...oh, we'll say Triacastela.

I have made small steps since then but, today, started in 'full tilt'.

By way of background, my dearest told me that the decision to throw away was based upon hugging an item. If one felt no real attachment after ten seconds then away the item went to either rubbish or recycling.

Mind you, I am now suspicious every time time she hugs me. ;)

B
It took me to sell my house - thats a big motivator to de clutter. Especially after 25 years.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
After my first Camino in 2016, I decided that having survived 3 weeks with just my cycle panniers I need very little in the way of clothes and possessions.

i do try to stick to my new ways, but books and technology are my undoing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
More than a year after my CF I am still in progress.
Cleaning out, downsizing, maybe a divorce.

You need time to reflect certain things and circumstances, that is one little thing the Camino taught me (is that right, taught?).

Maybe there is more to come, more to learn, more to reflect in a Camino than I was directly aware of.

BC
Roland

Last edited:
Hi @simply B
I’m always ‘thinking’ about it.
That is: I don’t want to leave it until I’m too old to do it myself - so ‘slowly, easy‘ does it.
There was a thread on this forum years ago about this and I’ve always remembered the word they used / a make up word ; for opposite to accumulate. The word here is ‘umulate.

Thanks for this! I will have to come back to it when I take a break from umulating.

B

I don’t umulate. Have this big box / banana carton into which everything goes when I am back. So the following camino I pack what I want and leave the rest in case I want/need it on another camino.

Meanwhile buen umulating, simply B, and lots of hugs from your dearest! Trusting you will survive!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don’t umulate. Have this big box / banana carton into which everything goes when I am back. So the following camino I pack what I want and leave the rest in case I want/need it on another camino.

Meanwhile buen umulating, simply B, and lots of hugs from your dearest! Trusting you will survive!

Ah - I think it is to do with clearing out one's unnecessary possessions at home when one gets home rather than one's Camino kit. ;)

My pile of Camino stuff is called my Camino shrine.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It took a trip to Cuba during the special period to help me umulate. I decided to have just enough when I returned home - so if I buy a new black top, one from my closet goes to the thrift shop, new hiking shoes? Old ones to the thrift shop. New knife for the kitchen? Old one goes to the thrift shop. Finish a book that was not borrowed from the library? It goes to the Little Free Library. Upon returning from the Camino I umulated even more. It is a continuous process! In addition, I believe in sharing - my Camino pack has even done the Camino without me!

We started decluttering about a week after we were home from Norte/Primitivo in 2016. Like others a month with such a little amount of stuff - and not missing the weight of all our things we have accumulated was formative.

I believe it took me less than a week after coming back from walking the CF to donate 3/4 of my clothes and shoes to my local thrift store. Having survived on maybe 3 changes of clothes for 34 days proved I didn't really need a lot of the things I was holding on to. Decluttering some of the larger items has definitely been a work in progress.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.