• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long did VDLP Seville to Santiago take you

• Thread starter Former member 95219
  • Start date
F

Former member 95219

Hi all. Yes I know there is lots of info on this but always good to get additional flavour. Weather, accommodation, etc a big factor of course but I am concerned re weather as I start on 03 Sept. I am quite slow but can can get thru the kms when motivated. Did the Frances in 2020 in 26 walking days which was very tough but was motivated by prospect of borders being shut so just ploughed on. Start around 20-25 km a day and graduated to 35-40 day as felt had to. I guess I am think 35 days?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked in spring from Seville. 37 days, including two rest days (Merida and Salamanca) and another couple enforced medical days (infected blisters) in Zafra. I felt it was a bit rushed and over too soon! My next one will be slower, I hope!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Take your time, plan some rest days. I have done the VLDP twice, and both times took close to 50 days....extra days in Caceres, Merida, Zafra, Salamanca, Ourense......all time well spent. Its not a race, its an experience...enjoy every moment of it....who knows when you will be back?

It's a little over 1000km. You can work it out from that.

It usually takes me about 40 days.

I began in Seville on March 28th this year and arrived in Santiago on 30th April. I had one 'rest' day in Merida (in which I walked 25000 steps exploring the Roman remains!) and shorter days into or out of Salamanca, Zamora and Ourense, to allow some tourism. I do tend to walk faster and longer when the weather is chilly, as it was for much of my journey, so five of my days were 40km or further.
Most of the first 750km is not too undulating but the last 250km are much more demanding in that sense. The trail surface can be taxing on the feet, with a lot of coarse road-ballast stones and also asphalt. In early September there may be days when you need to carry more than 2 litres of water, so that extra weight may slow you further.
I would guess most people would take between 33 and 40 days of actual walking.
I had a wonderful adventure! Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think as you can see there is a wide variation of the amount of days people take to walk any camino especially one as long and arduous as the VDLP. You are leaving in early September and I am sure you will encounter extreme heat every day for much of your camino. When I walked starting in mid October we still had 30C+ days every day for almost 2 weeks. Friends of mine who started in late September have told me of days that reached 40-45C consistently. They were starting their days very early to be off the Camino by 1PM at the very latest. I was carrying 3 liters every day plus food. Remember also that there are many days that have few if any services and trying to even find a shady spot to rest can be challenging. My advice is to take your time. I have no idea of your age or your health but I cannot imagine that trying to walk really long days in extreme conditions is advisable. But we must all judge for ourselves. I walked when I was 67 and because of the scarcity of albergues I opted to go up to Astorgia and join the CF. I think it took me about 47 days but I was not pushing myself .

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back