• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long did you prepare for your Camino?

BonitaHolland

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 3rd Sep 2016
I'm interested in the range and variety of preparations (I note on this Forum someone preparing for 2017/18). For myself I was talking with a peer on a train travelling back from a particularly challenging 5 day residential course she said 'I've been thinking about walking the Camino one day' I was curious about the 'one day....' (she's 33). I'd travelled far and wide to remote places but had not ever thought of doing this Camino.
I'm 58 and in 2000 my mum gave me this gift she said very quietly looking out through a door into the Hospice gardens, 'I waited too long all my life, don't wait, I was always waiting for the right time to do things and I ran out of time, I never did the things I thought I'd do.'
She died aged 71 a few days later.... since then I've held these words in mind whenever making a decision. So on that train when I heard my friend's words I asked 'Why wait lets go!' That was February and here I am about to set off tomorrow for SJDPP, and my friend ....she's meeting me on the 9th Sep in Pamplona.... and we're walking to Santiago but taking a long time to do it (40 days plus) because we want to wake up each day and accept what the day brings good and bad and unexpected and inspiring and and and .... see you on the path. And mum my Camino began with your gift. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've read and experienced very special moments on the Camino and I hope you will too. Buen Camino and don't be surprised to feel that your Mum has come along the way with you...!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Buen Camino, @BonitaHolland!
And to answer your question? Very little time, at least for the first one. I just grabbed what equipment I could scrounge and went. And my life isn't set up to train, so even if I'd planned ahead, I couldn't have, except walking a little every day. I went slowly and trained en route and it was fine ( I had at the time pretty good residual fitness, though, and it seemed to be enough).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope that my late father may walk alongside me for a while as well .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Bonita, it could have been my post you read. The date for my walk in Scotland is set for May/June 2017. The 'goal' for the Portuguese is Spring 2018. I walk every day, but packing/preparation doesn't start until a few weeks out and I stretch the walking miles at about two months prior. Wish you Buen Camino.

I try to stay "trained" so that I can take advantage of a whim as it appears. We've all heard "age is just a number" and I don't believe that. Age is a debilitator, but the debilitation (due to age) can be held at bay via a healthy lifestyle.

you may discover it is a trail of souls.
I like that.

I think @BonitaHolland you will find that preparation be darned. You are there now, you have a reasonable pace planned, and as others have said, you can/will train/acclimate in route.

What now, though? What is before you? I too believe in accepting what the day brings. But, I set out to quiet the chatter in my mind on the Camino so that I could be more so in the moment, every moment.

My pre-Camino logic proved to be sound on the surface but was completely askew of the magic that is the Camino. Whenever I remembered, I put into practice methods to train my meditative muscle. I would concentrate on my breath or concentrate on my footfalls as I walked. In the beginning, I struggled as usual to stay with that effort, but I improved as the days and weeks went on. Did the calm that enveloped me from this exercise come from this practice, or from the Camino itself?

We could philosophize about that question for days, but my opinion is that there is something mystical out there. Maybe it’s the Camino, maybe it’s our effort, our focus, or the combined energy field left by those who have passed before us, and maybe it’s as simple as being open to what may come.

Buen Camino!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I decided to go about a month before I went.

I waited that long because I wasn't sure how long it would take to get guidebook, credencial, and tickets in place.

The hardest part was figuring out how to get to the start, particularly as I had thought the starting point was Roncesvalles and then found it was SJPdP ... and later found that isn't it either.

I have hiked a lot so I had enough gear ... in fact I brought too much. The hiking also meant 'training' was not an issue. Hiking is a way of life (HIAWOL).

I heard about the camino about 6 years before while taking Spanish language classes in Granada. Two friends had walked it since. But I really had no calling to go walk it until I found myself wanting to miss monsoon season here on Vancouver Island.

I'm the same age as you Bonita and have always kept myself reasonably fit. I've done about 20 or so walks in the last 3 months of about the average length of Camino stage and carrying the approximate weight I'll take with me. It feels of real benefit now in that the kilometers just seem to fly by.

My wife and walked last March and April. We trained for 7 months but under special circumstances. My wife had a knee replacement 1 year before we left, so it wasn't just training but for therapeutic and healing reasons. I walk about 15 miles a week Mon. thru Friday. My wife not so much but still gets in some hiking. 2017 the Del Norte !!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
i work in restaurants so i am always on my feet. i didn't do any prep which could have made the first few days less hard but your adrenaline will compensate for that. after 4 days or out of pamplona you will be free of worry about being fit. then spread your wings and open your heart for the next month of beauty, camino family, and timeless bliss.

I met a guy from the Netherlands who retired on a Friday, spontaneously decided to do the camino and started walking from Pamploma on Sunday. Not much time for prep there. :)

As for me, I made the decision about sevens months ahead of time. As for preparation, I didn't really need to buy much (had poles, backpack, footwear, first aid kit etc.) The only purchases I remember having to make were sandals (for wearing after I stopped walking for the day) and a silk sleeping liner.

As for training, while I did do a decent amount of walking, on the whole I was more engaged in what you might call anti-training rather than training. I was 70 pounds heavier when I started walking than when I made the decision. On the whole, not the best plan.

As long as my shoes have been properly broken in, I feel ready to start at any time.

(Met a guy in Grado, where I was hospitalera last month, in NEW boots, probably one size too small, bought the same day. Not an optimal start, to put it mildly. But he had walked 25 km in those boots, and definitely wanted to keep walking.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No prep. No training. Just decided and within a week I was there for my first time. Very short - Sarria to SDC and only 7 days but no problems. Did the whole thing a year later - still no physical prep but packed a lot more sensibly - carried a 17 kg backpack and a 7 kg front pack which was crazy over stocked the first time.

Have reduced lung capacity, and dodgy knee but never a problem. Magnesium tablets to stop muscle cramps and elasticised compression bandage for the problematic knee.

Have fun...

Camino Frances.

- In 2014, my girlfriend and I trained for 8 months before leaving Canada.

- In 2017, I went alone and did not train a single day before leaving. Bought my plane tickets three weeks before leaving Canada

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry, I realise the previous post is not exactly helpful! My first Camino was years in the preparation - in terms of wanting to do it. It was actually about 6 months between committing by buying the tickets, and actually going. I used that time to lose weight, organise gear, and do some training. My hardest decision these days is the timing of the trip, taking into account work commitments and family commitments.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back