• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how long did you stay in SJPP?

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés 2018, Inglés 2022, partial Francés 2022
Trying to plan and I know some have said to stay in SJPP to get your bearings and supplies but I can't figure out how long. Overnight? 2 nights?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pilgrim Magnolia:

May depend on how far you plan to walk the first day ... Orisson, Roncevalles ?? -- , and what time you arrive in SJPP on Day 1. We stayed 1 night only in SJPP, even though we got in at 7:30 PM. However, we traveled only as far as Orisson on the following day, leaving after Mass and having heaps of time in Orisson.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've walked the Camino Frances 3 times. I've always stayed just one night then walked to Roncesvalles the next day (by both routes). St Jean is a pleasant enough town but unless you are very tired out by travelling a two-night stay there seems unnecessary. Personally I would never even consider stopping at Orisson either. The vast majority of people make it through to Roncesvalles with no real problem.

Arrived around 4:30 PM and left the next morning. Mind you I had a long relaxing flight from Perth, Western Australia to Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris, sleep overnight at the airport train station (not comfortable on hard plastic seats), train the next day to SJPP, sleep that night in the first dormitory I'd seen for a year, and off to Roncesvalles early in the morning.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We stayed two nights in Saint Jean Pied de Port when we walked the Camino Frances in 2015. We wanted to have a look round and rest after travelling. We only walked to Orisson the next day and it was enough for our first day of walking. It was different after walking the Puy Way in 2016. We were much fitter then. We stayed one night and still only walked to Orisson. We got there really quickly though and realised we could easily have walked to Roncesvalles. We didn't mind as we really like staying at Orisson and having dinner there as it is always sociable, and nice food. We then walked back from Roncesvalles to Saint Jean in one day and stayed another night as that was the end of our camino in 2016.

We have stayed one night and two nights and though it is nice to walk up the river and around the town there is not a lot to do so this May we are back to just one night.

One night and part of the day before or after, if you only walking as far as Orrison is all you need. There are several good restaurants which serve similar menus and lots of shop, not that you need to be stocking up on souvenirs that can be purchased in SdC. Depending on the time of year and day of the week beware of lots of day trippers crowding the town for a little taste of "the Camino." It's a little disconcerting like the bus loads of tourists who flock to SdC, I don't want to sound snarky but if you've ever been to Gatlinburg, Tennessee there are some similarities.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my first camino I arrived in SJPP at 12:30pm - it was great to have most of that day to rest after a long trip of connecting flights. Also nice to have time to walk that afternoon around town, explore a bit and savour thoughts of the journey ahead. There was a wonderful Basque choir concert that evening in the church. I left the next morning, stopping at Orrison. The slow start helped with jet lag a bit.

Last edited:
I have left from SJPdP twice. Both times only one night. Check in at the Pilgrim Office, go to the grocery store and have dinner with new friends. I find that “jet lag” is gone, due to the excitement of the Camino. I would go crazy sitting around waiting to begin.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
SJPdP became a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1998 which is most famous for the UNESCO Camino Gates (Pictures)...the sign was not easy to find and I knew what I was was looking for with a map...for the most panoramic view in town climb up the hill to Mendiguren Citadel so just follow the trail from town...also visit the Roman bridge Pont d’Eyheraberry or actually all of the old briges in town.

Attachments

• UNESCO Gate I.jpg
    UNESCO Gate I.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 41
  • UNESCO Gate II.jpg
    UNESCO Gate II.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 34
SJPdP became a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1998 which is most famous for the UNESCO Camino Gates (Pictures)...the sign was not easy to find and I knew what I was was looking for with a map...for the most panoramic view in town climb up the hill to Mendiguren Citadel so just follow the trail from town...also visit the Roman bridge Pont d’Eyheraberry or actually all of the old briges in town.
Sorru Kurt, but that is not what the sign you photographed says. It says the Ways of Saint James in France are UNESCO world heritage, and that some of their monuments listed as such were important Camino markers. It never says SJPP is registered as being a Unesco World Heritage site. In fact, it is 71monuments and 7 stretches of the chemins which are registered, not SJPP. https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemins_de_Compostelle_en_France

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Trying to plan and I know some have said to stay in SJPP to get your bearings and supplies but I can't figure out how long. Overnight? 2 nights?

My Camino 2017 started with a rest day in SJPP (had just spent four days walking around Paris and Amiens). I had read that Monday was a market day in SJPP, so arrived Sunday afternoon and planned to start walking to Orisson on the Tuesday (seems conventional wisdom is not to depart SJPP on a weekend a "everyone does" and accommodation can be difficult uitl the pulse of pilgrims spreads out). Spent much of Monday at the market - today different to any farmers market that I had experienced - as well as seeing a little of the town.

Two full days in SJPP would have been too much, but I valued the free day there...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I flew into CDG at 0600. My son arrived at 1:30 pm. We caught a flight to Biarritz and arrived in SJPdP around 6:00 pm. We quickly checked into our accommodations, went to the Pilgrim's Office, and then walked around St Jean to take in the sights and scope out a bakery location for the next morning.

We grabbed dinner and walked around some more before heading to our room for the night. We organized our gear into our packs, set out our morning clothes, then slept till around 0630 the next morning. After dressing and grabbing our packs, we grabbed a quick breakfast in the dining area, and were on the road to Roncesvalle by 0730 or so, after stopping at the bakery we scoped out the evening before to grab some baguettes. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never been "hit on" by so many older single women in my life as between SJPdP and Roncenvalles that I now call it the "Camino Dating Game".

Wow! Dream on. Maybe those single (?) women are just being polite and friendly.

I was having dinner (alone) in SJPDP, and there was a single (?) guy (similar age) at the table next to me. We offered a few pleasantries to each other. Once we had well and truly established (this took a while) that we were both happily married (but not to each other), he joined me at my table, and we had a wonderful evening together. We then went our separate ways.

That’s what I love about the camino, nobody knows anything about me (unless I tell them), and I know nothing about them.
Jill

Great information, gracias!

In SJPP I have to go to the Pilgrim office but I'm also going to have to buy supplies I'm not travelling with (walking poles, knife for vegetables). I guess it depends what time I get into SJPP

Last edited:
Getting back to the original question by Miss Pilgrim Magnolia.

In my case I traveled with my wife and arrived SJPP at about 2030 local time, and we did stay at Hostal Beilari for two nights, leaving to Orisson very early in the morning after the second night. Staying at Beilari for a second night was one of our best decisions during our 2017 camino.

Good luck with your planning, good luck with your decision, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is even one night in SJPdP necessary?

I had planned one originally, as my flight arrives in Biarritz in the evening, so I have booked a hotel in Bayonne for that night, very close to the station. If I get the early train I will arrive in St Jean before 9am. So now I figure - a leisurely coffee, visit the pilgrim office (get a sello there?), buy a few snack items then set off. I aim to spend the night in Valcarlos.

Is even one night in SJPdP necessary?

I had planned one originally, as my flight arrives in Biarritz in the evening, so I have booked a hotel in Bayonne for that night, very close to the station. If I get the early train I will arrive in St Jean before 9am. So now I figure - a leisurely coffee, visit the pilgrim office (get a sello there?), buy a few snack items then set off. I aim to spend the night in Valcarlos.
If your goal for that day is Valcarlos and you can leave SJPP by noon, then by all means, don’t spend a night in SJPP. It’ll save you the poor night of sleep due to all the partying and cars. Plus, you’ll get more zzzzs after walking vs being anxious about getting ready to get going.

We stayed two nights in St Jean before our second Camino and didn't regret it. We needed the time to recover from our 30- hour trip from NZ, and to get over some of the jet lag. And although it was peak season for SJPdP (early September) we were unaware of any noisy partying, drunken pilgrims or the like. Possibly too tired and sleeping too deeply! We stayed just above the top of rue de la citadelle at the lovely Errecaldia, so were also probably just far enough from party central. SJ is a fascinating little town and we enjoyed the opportunity to get to know it a little, having just passed through on our first visit. So two nights and a full day, then we caught the bus to Roncesvalles where we started walking (also recommended as a lovely place to start a Camino!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Whatever time it takes me to get to pilgrims office and get credential and fill water bottle. Hate the place

My problem was that I arrived on a holiday and the place was very crowded - not what I had expected so it was an easy decision for me to leave early the next day..

I’ve stayed two nights and one night in SJPdP and enjoyed both. Both times arrived late in the afternoon. The first stay, did enjoy a day of sightseeing and resting but the best thing that came out of staying those two nights was we had time to go to the Tourist Office and find out that there was a competition level pelota game scheduled at SJPdP on that second night. Such an eye opening, fast moving, athletic, mind blowing game. It was so much fun working out the rules and a fantastic spectator sport. Plus from then on we enjoyed seeing every pelota court, took every opportunity to watch a game if on TV and had an almost instantly popular conversation starter to use on any locals all across Basque country and beyond. So worth staying the extra night but the competition is seasonal and from memory it was a Saturday night but that could easily be wrong.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are many good postings here. As you can see,everyone has an opinion to offer. My thoughts are similar.

Simply stated, if you arrive at SJPdP in the morning or around mid-day, one night before you start should give you enough time to cover recommended pre-Camino activities: Pilgrim Office, last minute supplies, etc.

But, if you come on the train from Paris, and arrive around 7:00 pm, I recommend two nights. The intervening day can be spent sightseeing as well as doing the standard, pre-Camino things mentioned by others.

Hope this helps.

In late April, 2017, I flew from Seattle to Paris then on to Bayonne by train. I stayed two nights in Bayonne to get over jet lag and then on to SJPdP by bus. Arrival in SJPdP at noon gave ample time to check into the Pilgrim office, then the albergue, and an afternoon of roaming around town. If one is not on a tight schedule, Bayonne is a worthwhile city to explore before moving on to San Jean. Sitting outside a cafe on the sun-splashed Nive River drinking a Basque brewed Akerbeltz calmed all the inner voices holding court in my head.

It depends if you are recovering from jet lag or not....I only have a very short flight from London so now I spend the night in Bayonne and stay the next in Orrisson (just visiting the pilgrim office in St Jean pde Port).

SJPP is a beautiful place, we were glad we spent 2 nights. We explored the area and town and we were more than ready to hit the Camino after our stay. If you have time an extra night is worth it.

I got in on the late train, had dinner, went to bed, woke up, and left. I really should have spent another day and night. Not only did I not get to see any of the town, I was way too tired from almost 4 days of straight travel. Next time I'll make sure I'm well-rested and take in St. Jean before I head out!

Wow! Dream on. Maybe those single (?) women are just being polite and friendly.

I was having dinner (alone) in SJPDP, and there was a single (?) guy (similar age) at the table next to me. We offered a few pleasantries to each other. Once we had well and truly established (this took a while) that we were both happily married (but not to each other), he joined me at my table, and we had a wonderful evening together. We then went our separate ways.

That’s what I love about the camino, nobody knows anything about me (unless I tell them), and I know nothing about them.
Jill
Yes, I am glad that silly post has been moderated.

In August and after flying from Australia to a conference in Copenhagen, I flew on two flights through 2 Paris airports to Biarritz. Next day I went by train to Bayonne and SJPdP, went to the pilgrim office for my credencial, and set off. Arrived at Roncevalles about 4pm.
So, stayed 0 nights in SJPdP.

I travelled from Amsterdam and arrived by train around 10pm and found the aubergue I had booked. I had a 7am breakfast, left the passport office at 830am, bought my walking poles and book and off I went. I arrived in Roncesvalles around 5pm. The aubergue owner said to go slowly and listen to my body. He also gave me a second water bottle, very essential for the first part of the trip. I would have stayed longer if travelling from Australia. SJPP looked a lovely town though but there are so many lovely towns on the Camino that I wouldn't have got there if I stopped at everyone.

All really depends on how far you have travelled, jet lag etc.
Coming from Australia (30 Hr trip), we stay a night in Paris, to recover a bit from jet lag then head down to St Jean.
One night there is plenty for me.
I would get bored wandering around the small town and would be itching to get going ;)

Last edited:
I had an 15 h trip to get to SJPdP from Sweden. It was crazy with a lot of changes, waiting at airports and a taxi trip from Pamplona. I arrived at 2 AM in the morning but the hotel had left the keys out for me so I went in and slept for 6 hours. Had breakfast and then left town around 9. Walked to Roncevalles. So I still have to go back and see the town it self :)

Saint Jean is a tourist town but really, it is a special place. It is worth two night if you have the time. The three times we have been there has always been exciting. Looking around town, talking to other pilgrims, eating the great food and just contemplation the walk ahead is what a pilgrimage is all about. Try and spend two days there if your time and budget allows.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good info & discussions.
Starting my first Camino end of March. I normally prefer to either stay a few days or get going straight away. As my flight lands in Biarritz at 10h00 in the morning, starting the same day, after buying some food and a pocketknife, is an option.
Will decide on the day after: 1) checking the weather; 2) see how i feel after a long flight; 3) get local advice.

I'm not sure that the town is a UNESCO site, but the Camino de Santiago is, so perhaps the marker is for the camino. Where is the castle?
[

The "castle" in St. Jean Pied de Port is known as "La Citadelle". You can walk around the outside walls, but the main building is now a school closed to public. You can also look down from what was once the drawbridge and see the moat which is now paved and contains a basketball goal for the school children.

St. Jean Pied de Port is build upon a small foothill which provides stategic view of invaders decending the Pyrenees mountains. You can see this view from the back of the school building.

-Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why rush? Give yourself time to see the city before rushing on. I did regret not doing so, just like I regretted not taking an extra day (or two), in the larger cities. It's not a race. Festina lente!

And yes, you can walk to Roncesvalles in one day, but if it's your first day on the walk, it's a good idea to ease into it and reserve a bed at Orisson (in SJpdp) - may prevent having problems with your feet a few days later.

What I'd do, is to stay one night. If you arrive early, go see the fortress after visiting the pilgrim office, and take a leisurely stroll to Orisson in the morning. If you arrive late at SJpdp, then look around the next morning, before heading to Orisson. It will still be a leisurely stroll. The food at Orisson is good.

A day in SJPdP will be the most boring day of your walk. Keep moving!
Like I wrote: it will still be a leisurely stroll :p

Not much to see, but I still did regret not seeing it. Easily handled next time, and it was a nice stroll ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Arrived around 4:30 PM and left the next morning. Mind you I had a long relaxing flight from Perth, Western Australia to Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris, sleep overnight at the airport train station (not comfortable on hard plastic seats), train the next day to SJPP, sleep that night in the first dormitory I'd seen for a year, and off to Roncesvalles early in the morning.
Hi Lance, we are also looking to fly from Perth, did you find Paris the best entry point to get to SJDP?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back