• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how long does it really take to walk to Finisterre?

karanarttravel

Hello-
I really want to travel on to the 'end of the world'--and then public transport my way back to Barcelona. But I would like to know, honestly, how many miles is it to Finisterre? How long would it take to make the journey?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there karanarttravel,

The walk out to Finisterre from Santiago is 3 or 4 days. See here for some details:
http://www.csj.org.uk/route-finisterre.htm
http://www.santiago-compostela.net/fini ... fm_en.html

... and here for an earlier post on the Santiago - Finisterre walk:
viewtopic.php?t=219

Regarding coming back to Barcelona you can do it by bus with Alsa from Santiago: http://www.alsa.es the cost about is about 60 euros. I just checked and it looks like there is one bus/day. It leaves Santiago at 14.00 and arrives Barcelona the next morning at 06.00 (!). I did not check, but I think the train would be equally slow. http://www.renfe.es

If you don't mind flying, try http://www.vueling.com . They may even beat the bus on price! Recommended.

Buen camino,
Ivar

Another new airline that has flights from Santiago to Barcelona is :
http://www.clickair.com Iberia airlines has a stake in this company.

Good Luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
i wasnt going to walk to finisterre, but changed my mind, my friends were a day ahead of me so i decided to just bomb it, they walked there in 3 days, i did it in 28hours, sleeping on the beach about 4-5clicks outside of the town, those who have walked will have seen it, the camino goes down the cliff to the little cove, anyway i spent the early hours here, strolled into the town and sought out my friends

Hi Karanartravel
I walked from Santiago to Fisterra in late April 08. It 'really' takes 3 days and I am not fit and could never 'bomb it'' (respect -404!) I think its just shy of 90 km.
The 3rd day, especially the section between Hospital and Cee, is pure walking with no distractions of traffic or main roads so you can get into a great old rhythm and 'gather your thoughts' on your journey.
I found descent into Cee to be bit of a knee breaker- but don't worry the restorative power of a swim off one of those lovely beaches is truly miraculous!
Its such a beautiful part of Camino, the people warm and welcoming, savour and enjoy.
Bonne Route

Funny thing this. When I walked in 1999 only a very few people wanted to continue to Finisterre. Now it seems almost obligatory. Maybe we are experiencing a shift in consciousness after these 10 intervening years where Santiago de Compostela is only another waystage upon the jouney on the Camino de las Estrellas. Certainly I met a man in Santiago (Pedro and his dog, and thank you for the necklace) who would endorse this. He was on his 7th camino and had no real desire to stay for long in Compostela. "I travel the Route of the Stars" he told me.
Are we returning to our pagan roots (routes?)?
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

"How many miles to Babylon?
Three score and ten
Can I make it by candlelight?
Yes, and back again."

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked from Finisterra to Muxia about 4 years ago and it took a day. Not much was actually on the coast
The route was not well signed and I had to retrace my steps a few times.
At one point you have to cross a significant little river/or big stream( about 5m wide). There are well constructed stepping stones consisting of concrete pillars spaced across the stream with flat tops. However after rain the stream rises and you may find that the "stepping stones" are underwater. They are still crossable but I found my walking pole essential
Muxia is a pleasant litle town with a pilgrim office whre you can obtain a very attractive certificate to add to the one you got in Santiago and Fisterra.
There is accomodation in the sports stadium below the seating. It is fairly basic but has showers and mats on the floor.
There is a regular bus back to santiago from Muxia

when I was there in 2005 and if you wanted to sleep in an albergue, there was basically only the option of 3 days (Negreira - Olveiroa - Fisterra, still the most classical one); 4 days, if cutting the last day by staying in Corcubion-Redonda (which was not widely known at the time). so we all did 3 days.

two years ago (2009) there were quite a number of other new/extra albergues/refugios and I planned on a 5-day trip (Negreira - Santa Marina - Olveiroa - Redonda - Fisterra). somehow, however, I ended up in a 2-day walk (Vilaserio - Fisterra). I don't really reccommend it, though, as the second day was 50km/14hours and I was out sitting on the benches for the half of the following day (no need to explain, why, ne?).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
caminka said:
I ended up in a 2-day walk (Vilaserio - Fisterra). I don't really reccommend it, though, as the second day was 50km/14hours and I was out sitting on the benches for the half of the following day (no need to explain, why, ne?).

It's a wonder you were able to sit I'd have been horizontal for a week after that Caminka :lol:
Nell

Brand new refugio 2009 at Muxia. Really posh.

3 days to Finisterre, though there is an albergue at Cee, at which I have never stayed, which would make it 4.

Give yourself time to go to Muxia, an extra days walking.

78km from Santiago to Finisterre according to several books I have.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh yes.

First walked to Finisterre in 2004. Not crowded. Had a bunk.

2005 & 2006 numbers up. Slept on the floor.

2009 would have not got in the municipal refugio at Negreir, as they no longer let people sleep on the floor, except that my medical condition meant I could not be turned away.

The warden ordered a 60+ year old Dutch lady pilgrim to give up her bottom bunk and sleep on mats on the floor.

I explained that my wife, who is also a pensioner, would go mad if I took the bunk and said I would sleep on the mats. The warden burst into tears and insisted on giving me a hug.

My halo shone brightly that night. :D

To me this """was"""the best part of the Camino Francis.
If only most allowed a few extra days instead of the 30-33 day rush.
We walked Finasterre in 06 and will again this year after Norte.
The peace, fellowship of the few and the friendship/welcome along the way makes me wish us aussies knew about Francis a many decades ago.
I remember vividly a young english doctor who was with us for the last 200km on the Francis.
When she arrived at Santiago no credentials were sought "" I will get that in Finasterre " she said
She slept in a school hall just after Negreira after a farmer gave her the keys.
It was late at night.

*** this is a beautiful way ****
We also found Le Puy to SJPDP wonderful and similar in relation to numbers /assistance.
Peace, love and health to all,
David

Hi David,

I am walking the Camino francés this fall and looking forward to the walk to Finisterre. I did not know that credentials are obtainable from Finisterre. Or did I misunderstand your message? ~Ivor

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes. You must walk all the way from Santiago to Finisterre and collect sellos all the way, then present your credencial to the albergue in Finisterre. It's lovely.

lynne

it takes three days of the most challenging walking of 20 miles per day. It can be windy.
i think it is the most attractive part of the camino. get up early 6am to start your day's walking. places you stay at can get crouded early. buen camino. check out our blog caminowalkabout.blogspot.com

Hello karanarttravel

It takes 4 days to walk to Finisterre via Muxia from Santiago - for a total distance of 115 km. (I am assuming you what to know the distance from Santiago and not somewhere else)

I just finished my second camino from Saint Jean PdP this past May and June, arriving in Santiago 30 days later (distance of 780 km). I then continued to Muxia (the less traveled way - 3 days) and then followed the coast to Finisterre (1 more day).

I would recommend going this way, since there are more bus option back to Santiago from Finisterre.

The route to Muxia is quiet and more like what the camino was before. The signage is good, but a bit confusing in some section. You will discover that along the way to Finisterre from Muxia that signs indicate the direction either to Muxia or to Finisterre - people travel both ways and you pass pilgrims going the other way.

It is typical Galician landscape and terrain, so expect anything including fog, rain and maybe cool days, even in the summer. But is probably the high light of the camino especially given the number of people walking the Frances route to Santiago.

Keep in mind that you will earn two more compostelas - one for Muxia and another for Finisterre. In order to receive the later if you arrive via Muxia, you must stop at the only cafe along the way and get a stamp.

There is some question about the distance between Muxia and Finisterre - some books suggest it is only 28 km, but we passed two signs one indicating it was 12 km back to Muxia and another indicating it was 19 km to Finisterre.

There is more pilgrim style accommodation along the way but more people walking this route, so throughout the day, you might find yourself alone but don't be surprised to find 100 plus pilgrims in the village for the night.

Check out the last 12 or so photos of my current set of photos for a feel of this special section:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1094336834 ... ntiago2011

Regards

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2006 I did it in three days.
There were not a lot of accomodations, so I didn't really had the choice.
I remember three very peaceful and beautiful days walking, after all the people on the Camino Frances.
It was like a beautiful epilogue, and I really loved Fisterra.

If you DO get the chance, continue on to Muxia (or vice versa) it's a lovely little working port a bit like Finisterre may have been 15 years ago or so, though quite spruced up with money from the Prestige disaster which devasted the fishing industry for miles along the coast. The albergue there is new and the people are very pilgrim friendly, perhaps because, so far, there are not very many who make it here. You can, of course, choose either or, but it is lovely to see both, and now there is the bridge over the river Castro it is risk free (although the confused lady at the house said to me: "We built the bridge for the pilgrims, but the pilgrims they don't use it"). I guess we are purists and like the challenge (and maybe symbolism) of our stepping stones. I think it'll be quite a different story in Winter.
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com will be following the pilgrim trails around Muxia and Finisterre within the next two weeks if you are interested.

Hello there Everyone
I'm heading to Santiago next Tues. week (6th Sept.) with a couple of friends, walking from Santiago to Finisterra and probably Muxia but was just wondering if there is a sherpa service on this route? We intend to walk with day packs and forward our other luggage onwards. Could anybody advise? This is our first Camino and we intend to walk for five days.
Thanks in advance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My walk from Santiago o Fisterra took me 5 very relaxing days. For me, the Camino itself had finished in Santiago and the rest was my "holiday" before going back to uni. We walked Santiago - Negreira - Vilaserio - Olveiroa - Cee - Fisterra. It was a very nice experience not feeling rushed at all and being able to enjoy a 13km walk without feeling bad at all. I've stayed in mostly private albergues and found most of them to be rather lovely if pricy with 10E a bed).

I would allow 3 days to Fistera. If you have 4 days, I would do three days to Muxia and then a day to Fisterra. Take your credencial and get it stamped. In Muxia you can get a certificate and you can get one too in Fisterra (quite a pretty one with the setting sun). Muxia has a nice albegue and the chapel on the shore is unforgetable. There used to be a pretty hairy river crossing between Muxia and Fisterra but there is now a bridge.

Have just finished and went via Muxia.
We took 4 days to Muxia as we stayed in Dumbria.
This new albergue is magnificent as was built by the guy who owns Zara.
No need to hurry there as it opens at 3pm.
They first look after pilgrims carry their packs.
Then ones with horses , then those with bikes.
They with Muxia are very strict on this method/order of accommodation.
Muxia is a great place and is the heart of the Spanish people, more so than Finisterre.

We took 2 days to walk from Muxia to Finisterre because we were just enjoying the peace.
Accommodation half way and very well marked.

In Negreira find the "Imperial Restr./Cafe" for a magnificent meal. The room is out the back and it will be the best 10 euro you spend.
Don't rush like all the others to this first stop as the albergue is early filled and in our opinion dirty.
We have given it 2 goes , no more.
A wonderful way, enjoy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can also confirm that the Xunta albergues in Muxía and Dumbría are great! Make sure you get a stamp in Lires so the hospitalero at Muxía knows you walked and didn't take the bus.

In Dumbría's massive building, we were the only pilgrims until some Spanish cyclists arrived in the evening. My husband and I were the only ones in our room, so we put two mattresses together on the floor. It is next to the municipal pool, which is very nice and has internet stations. Lovely kitchen, but of course no pots and pans (it is Galicia afterall) but luckily we brought our own.

The albergue in Muxía did fill up when we were there in July, but there are some nice and not too expensive private accommodations right on the beach that were only about €30 for a double.

To include this section on your credential do you need to hold off handing your passport in in Santiago?? Or do you get your certificate in Santiago and then simply add Finisterra and Muxia?

There seems to be a few rules with the credential so I want to make sure i know what to do! :)

After you receive your compostela in Santiago de Compostela, you can get more stamps an the way to Fisterra. You just have to make sure you have space for another four or five stamps. Also don't forget to stop at the Albergue in Fisterra to pick up your certificate.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Homer-Dog said:
After you receive your compostela in Santiago de Compostela, you can get more stamps an the way to Fisterra. You just have to make sure you have space for another four or five stamps. Also don't forget to stop at the Albergue in Fisterra to pick up your certificate.

Brilliant, thankyou!

In Oct 2010 I took 5 days to Finisterre, as I treated like a holiday after the Camino Frances. My route was Santiago to Negreire 22 kms; Negreiro to Maronas 21kms; Maronas to Olveiroa 12kms; Olveiroa to Cee 17kms; Cee to Finisterre 13kms. I did not visit Muxia due to time constraints. There are albergues at all these places and I had no trouble getting a bed. It is a very beautiful Camino, especially appreciated after the crowds on the Camino Frances. You can also get a sello at the lighthouse so don't forget to take your credential when you visit. It seems very appropriate to have your last stamp at the end of the known world as it was 1000 years ago. Buen camino.David

I agree with David; this is a lovely walk. Taking 5 days each time I have stopped in albergues at Negreira, Vilaserio, Olveiroa, Corcubion/San Roque and Finisterre. All were municipal except for the new private albergue in Vilaserio. At San Roque above Corcubión in the dark from the dorm window you can see the last lighthouse beacon shining out to sea from land's end at Finisterre. Magic! Next day after walking the last kilometers down into Finisterre and out to that lighthouse at kilometer 0, the land's end will be your journey's end. Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I plan to take a bus to Finisterre after finishing the walk to Santiago. Would like to walk, but don't have the time. Hopefully, will come back to do that in the future. Any suggestions on buses, times, etc as well as nice accommodations and things to do in Finisterre? Only able to stay one day/night.

I took 4 days to walk to Fistera and another to Muxia. Stopping at St-Roque-Corcubion is a must. They are super nice. I was there last week and Manuel (i am not good at remembering name) was quite a host. Take care when you arrive on top of the hill from Corcubion and so before descending, the albergue is to your left on the other side of the street. When there is cars park, you couls miss it. One of the camino family walk two more km and came back. Hopefully they will put a good sign.

For France K: In Negreira ( first albergue after Santiago) the hospitalera will give you a Fistera-Muxia credencial ( ask her) you could use with your "all" camino credencial. They give a certificate in Fistera and in Muxia.
Bye
jpierre

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very do-able in 3 days but not the best practice.
It is a beautiful way and now Muxia should be included . It has a very , very , good alberque there.
It was always the finishing point to the local spanish.

Take your time , enjoy the company of the few that continue and enjoy the peace.

Hi

Just back from St Jean - Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia - Finisterre ( walking ) then bussed from Finisterre to Santiago for 2 days R+R. How long really depends on how your fitness is and what your pace is like.
Leaving Santiago about 8 am I got comfortably to the private albergue in Vilacerio by 4 pm ( about 35 kms ) then day 2 a new private albergue ( Albergue Moreira ) in Cee ( highly recommended, 9 power points in 10 bed dormitory, well equipped kitchen and the owner turns on a dehumidifier in the boot/wet clothes area on wet days to help dry items out ) about 39 kms then day 3 was an easy 13 kms into Finisterre which let me book into the municipal at 1 pm, make my bed, part empty my backpack before heading up to the lighthouse and back via Monte Facho trails by 4, lie down for a couple of hours before dinner and then back to the lighthouse to watch a perfect sunset.
Finisterre to Muxia was 1 days walking with lunch in Lires, do have breakfast in Finisterre before setting out as options for eating on route are limited to Lires or eating alfresco on this day. About 29 kms walking, leaving Finisterre at 7.45 saw me reach the municipal in Muxia about 2.45. If tired/ a little unfit/ time to spare, you could break the Finisterre/ Muxia into 2 days and stay ion Lires, no albergues but 3 Casa Rurales that I spotted.

Regards

Seamus

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked from Sarria to Santiago May-June 2012 taking about nine days, with luggage and hotels arranged. I’d like to walk another segment and Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia or Santiago/Finisterre or Santiago/Muxia are of interest. I took the bus to Finisterre for an overnight last year and the rain was heavy so I didn’t get to see much. I have to consider my limitations so I mention them so you will know I am not an average walker.

I would walk alone again and would consider carrying the barest of essentials (no bedding) and not need luggage transfer, but would need pre-arranged accommodations in private albergues or other reserved accommodations not too far from the Camino route but not hotels. In 2013-14 I would be 81or 82, healthy with arthritis particularly in hands and feet along with replaced knees that are terrific but steep descents are still hard on them -- I’m not trained to walk, I just walk.

I have been reading about Santiago/Muxia/Finisterre on websites but the experience of pilgrims is extremely helpful. I could possibly go Sept-Oct 2013 or Spring/Fall 2014. My max would be about 16km or 10 miles a day. Can posters give me advice on:

1. The difficulties these caminos present
2. If sufficient accommodations (not hotels) exist in in smaller walking segments
3. Other possible segments or routes I might consider
4. What would be good months for this walk.
Thanks.

Koby,

How nice it is to read once again your posting on the Forum! How wonderful that you are considering another camino.

Either spring or fall would be good times to walk towards the sea; there would be other walkers but not the throngs of mid summer.

I have walked the Finistere route several times but not yet gone to Muxia. Before leaving SdC I have always picked up the good free multilingual list of all services on the path from the Galicia Tourist Office, Oficina de Información Turística Xunta de Galiciain at 32 Rua do Vilar. This includes all accommodations, restaurants, taxis, buses etc. It is an invaluable aid to planning, but does not seem to be on line. Perhaps you might email the office for a copy. Here is their web >> http://www.turgalicia.es/portada?langId=en_US

The Municamio web lists tourist accommodation along the route under the special heading Hospedajes see >> http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm?p=H ... Hospedajes However, the Eroski guide offers a good schematic on line >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./lo ... -fisterra/

The Finisterre route rolls across many hills through eucalyptus forests and pastures. It is hardly flat, but can be very beautiful. Walking across the hills near Cee you can at last glimpse the sea. Near-by is the simple, welcoming albergue at San Roque/Corcubion. >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./al ... san-roque/ In the dark from the dorm window when you see the lighthouse beacon at Finisterre shining out to sea it is magical.

You can read my comments regarding the sections to Negreira, Vilaserio, Olveiroa, Corcubión/San Roque, Fisterra/Finisterre starting here >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aaneg.html After reading about one segment just click on the next place name in the left side list for more.

Please feel free to PM me for more info.

Carpe Diem,

Margaret Meredith

Can anyone suggest a 6 day itinerary from Santiago to Finisterre?
One way only - not going to Muxia.
Thanks - joann

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @joannvds - a six day itinerary to just Fisterra / lighthouse would be very leisurely and would require at least one very short day. I have a 5-day itinerary that you can use as a starting point, though:

From Santiago de Compostela
to Ventosa (La Coruña) (Santiago - Ventosa) (9.8 km / 6.1 mi)
to Negreira (Ventosa - Negreira) (10.9 km / 6.8 mi)
Stage 01 (20.7 km / 12.9 mi)

to Vilaserío (Negreira - Vilaserio) (13.1 km / 8.1 mi)
to Santa Mariña (Vilaserio - Santa Mariña) (7.9 km / 4.9 mi)
Stage 02 (21.0 km / 13.1 mi)

to Olveiroa (Santa Mariña - Olveiroa) (12.9 km / 8.0 mi)
Stage 03 (12.9 km / 8.0 mi)

to Cee (Olveiroa - Cee) (18.9 km / 11.8 mi)
Stage 04 (18.9 km / 11.8 mi)

to Sardiñeiro (Cee - Sardiñeiro) (6.1 km / 3.8 mi)
to Fisterra (Sardiñeiro - Fisterra) (6.0 km / 3.7 mi)
to Finisterre Lighthouse (Fisterra - Land's End) (3.4 km / 2.1 mi)
Stage 05 (15.5 km / 9.6 mi)

Total: 89.1 km / 55.3 mi

Hope that helps. Good luck with your planning.

Easily walked in 4 days. Three if you put in a couple of long ones.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can anyone suggest a 6 day itinerary from Santiago to Finisterre?
One way only - not going to Muxia.
Thanks - joann

We're doing a 7 day itinerary, mainly for medical reasons (so please don't judge):
SDC
Roxos 8km
Negreira 15km
Vilaserio (Casa Vella) 13km
Santa Marina (As Maronas) 8km
O Logoso 18km
Cee 16km
Fisterra 13km

We're also going on to Muxía, and walking back from there to SDC.

Buen Camino!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back