• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long does it take to travel from T1 to T4S at Madrid Airport?

Time of past OR future Camino
(SJPP - Finisterre)
Can you get between these two terminals in 30-50 minutes' time at Madrid Barajas Airport?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I plan to fly from Santiago to Madrid and then from Madrid to California.

My flight to Madrid T1 is due to get in at 9:30am.

My flight to California from T4S departs at 11:20am.

That gives me 1 hour and 50 minutes between flights. I think they usually want you to check in an hour early for international flights. Assuming my Ryanair flight makes it in to Madrid on time, do you think I'll be able to get from T1 to T4S within 50 minutes?

Thanks!
About 20 minutes .
Barajas airport in Madrid is a very modern airport.
Leaving your plane, walking through the gateway to the central place, passing the Schengen passportcontrol, moving to the first plan by escalators, , the bus , finding your new gate takes some time but 50 minutes will be more than enough, normaly spoken.

I used to work in Barcelona ,flew to Madrid many times and even on to Argentina, Brasil and Chile by Madrid Barajas. Very conveniant.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Peregrino Falcon,

If you've already got the ticket, you will just have to do your best, but it could be tight. Let's just hope that Santiago is there to help you out.

When you arrive in T1, you won't have to do anything except get out to the departures level and get outside to the place where the bus will make the 10 minute or so trip to T4. Once in T4, you will first check in, then go through security and some passport control. You will then have to go down some escalators or take the elevator (to save time, in T4, I recommend always taking the elevator, sometimes the escalators are several floors) to the level where the train goes from T4 to T4S. They run very frequently. Then you have to get from the stop up to the departure level and get to your gate. T4S is a long narrow terminal, so it could be close or it could be quite a distance.

I know this is probably too late for you, but for your next camino :) you should check out the cost of just adding the Santiago to Madrid flight to your international ticket. There are a couple of advantages to that approach -- you will probably not have to change terminals, but more importantly if you don't make your connection, the airline has to make arrangements at no charge to you. If you miss your California flight because Ryan Air is late, however, Iberia or American or whatever airline you are flying is not responsible. I certainly hope that doesn't happen, but it's always the risk you take. That's why when I used to take the train from Santiago to Madrid after my camino to fly home from Madrid, I always used to go in the day before. But someone from the forum told me to check out the "open jaw" ticket or "multi city option" and I found that leaving on a plane from Santiago was never much more expensive than my international ticket in and out of Madrid. Plus it saves a day's travel and a night in a hotel in Madrid.

Anyway, I certainly hope you make it, and with good luck, you will! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi peregrina2000, I hope I could ask you the question here. Last year when I came from Santiago to Madrid by bus, after I got off the bus, somebody directed me to go to the subway to get from T1 to T4 to catch my flight back to Canada. It costed me 5 euros plus 30 minutes ride in the subway with transfer. My question, how do I get from the bus terminal to T1 (then I could go to T4 as you suggested). I was assuming the bus terminal is right by T1 and I didn't need to do the subway?

Thanks.

Hi, Simon,
I'll try to answer your question, but I'm not sure I understand it. Are you asking me how to get from the bus station (Estacion Sur) to T4?

First, the Alsa website shows that there are three buses a day that go from Santiago directly to T4. That would be the easiest. 7 am - 3:45 pm, 1:45 pm to 11 pm., and 9:30 pm to 7 am.

There are other buses during the day that go to Estacion de Sur, which is in the southeastern edge of Madrid. Getting to T4 from there would require a long metro ride (metro stops at T1, then town of Barajas, then T4, so no need to get off at T1 to transfer to T4). But I remember that a forum member always recommends using a shuttle from Estacion Sur to the airport. I'll see if I can find it in a search.

In any event, I think the easiest thing is to take one of the buses that go straight there -- does any of those schedules work for you? Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Madrid airport operates a shuttle between terminals. See Transport and Access/Connections between terminals.

Access to terminal 4S is by Automatic People Mover. It connects to terminal 4 where you can access the inter terminal shuttle. This takes 3 minutes.

The time from T1 to T4 is listed as 15 minutes. 30 - 50 minutes is more than sufficient.

Madrid Airport Website
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi peregrina2000, I hope I could ask you the question here. Last year when I came from Santiago to Madrid by bus, after I got off the bus, somebody directed me to go to the subway to get from T1 to T4 to catch my flight back to Canada. It costed me 5 euros plus 30 minutes ride in the subway with transfer. My question, how do I get from the bus terminal to T1 (then I could go to T4 as you suggested). I was assuming the bus terminal is right by T1 and I didn't need to do the subway?

Thanks.

There are at least 3 bus terminals in Madrid plus a stop at T4 airport. You'd have to be able to tell us which terminal you arrived at to give specific information.

I don't know of any intercity bus services that stop at T1. Madrid operates urban buses that stops at both T1 and T4. Both EMT bus line 200 and Metro go to Intercambiador de Avenida de America. Estacion Sur and Moncloa are best accessed by Metro from either T1 or T4. An EMT Express Airport bus line 203 goes from T1 and T4 to Puerta de Atocha Renfe station. Chamartin Renfe Station and Puerta de Atocha Renfe Station are accessed by Metro from T1 and T4 and Cercanias from T4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are other buses during the day that go to Estacion de Sur, which is in the southeastern edge of Madrid. Getting to T4 from there would require a long metro ride (metro stops at T1, then town of Barajas, then T4, so no need to get off at T1 to transfer to T4).

Quicker than the metro ride (that BTW isn't direct; i.e.: means a change of metros along the route) would be to take a Cercanías train from Méndez Alvaro to T4. The Cercanías is direct (i.e.: no transfers required) and takes roughly 30 minutes.

Estacion Sur and Moncloa are best accessed by Metro from either T1 or T4.

From T4, the best way to reach Estación Sur would be the Cercanías I quoted above, IMHO.

I don't know of any intercity bus services that stop at T1

Socibus buses from Sevilla and Avanza buses from Salamanca stop at T1, if I'm not wrong. Buses from some towns in the Autonomous Community of Madrid, like, for example, Alcalá de Henares, stop at the T1,T2,T3 building too.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back