• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long does it take....?

nadprosper

I'm walking from St. Jean Pied de port to Santiago starting in late March and was wondering approximately how long that would take ( so I know when th get my return flight ) thanks all....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How Long from St Jean

St Jean is ± 775 kms from Santiago.
If you can walk 20kms per day it will take you about 39 days with no time to spend in Santiago.
25kms per day = 31 days.

You can plan your walks on this website.

http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances

Good luck!

Of course, it depends on your age, how fast you can walk, how much you're carrying

I'm no spring chicken but I am a good walker - I took 20 days to walk the 800km - walking on average for 7 1/4 hours each day and averaging 5.5 km per hour (peak about 6km/hr) - at home carrying 2.5 kg I can walk 30km along the flat in 4 hours (7.5 km/hr)

So you can do some practice walks and see what pace you're comfortable with

I'd initially estimated 33 days in line with the John Brierley book but as I walked more quickly I was able to change the date of my flight home relatively easily and cheaply

You might not need too much time in Santiago (the mass certainly) and I found the day trip to Finisterre on the coach was a much more appropriate end

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I could not possibly do it in four weeks - and I've walked from St Jean three times. Each time it has taken me five weeks, and I allow six weeks or longer because of the time it takes to get to and from the Camino and what else I want to do. If you cut the time short you will always be fixated about distances and destnations. If that does not worry you, or you are happy to take the occasional bus, fine. Obviously many people do not have a choice. But if you do, give yourself plenty of time, start slowly, stop at Huntto or Orisson the first night, get fit along the way, stop to smell the flowers and see the sights. If you get to Santiago early, walk to Finisterre, or go see some other bits of Spain.
Kanga

Last edited:
It is a sad thing to meet pilgrims on the Camino whose topic of conversation is based on fear. Fear of being late, of missing the flight, of getting injured and having to hobble in pain rather than rest and recuperate.
The thing is - you cannot predict it. It may rain and be ridiculously cold up in one of the three mountain ranges (Spain is the most mountainous country in the whole of Europe after Switzerland!) and this can slow you down. Also, things happen along the way. You may visit a church and become entranced and want - need - to go to the morning service. You may meet someone in distress and need - want - to slow down and help them. You may find a stream at the bottom of a small valley with bars of sunshine cutting through the trees, a tiny wooden bridge, bright blue butterflies dancing around your ankles, the clear sound of an almost eternal stream and a soft grass bank, where you can stop and soak your feet and just - BE - and then fall asleep, to wake so much later than 'your plan' with its flight at the end allowed. The pilgrimage can be a glorious thing - it is, but this includes the pain and if you get a shin-splint this will really stop you walking for a day or so. If you have to arrange a flight home then arrange one that leaves days to spare (you can always bring it forward). Then in Santiago, once the grime is off, you can sit and watch other pilgrims coming in and reflect, deeply, upon what you have just done, of all the billions of people on this blue pearl we live on, just a few, a very few, get to do this. If you are planning to go, for whatever reason you think you are doing it - God has called. Go. Return home when you can. And don't be afraid, the medieavals had to walk back as well!

Wise words

Thank you for your wise words! I know you are right. From time to time it is important that people say thing like this on a forum like this, so that we remember. And your way of saying it was very nice!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
An average of around 25 kms/day is easy to achieve but add in a few free days in places you just want to look at a bit more and you can take up to 32 days walking + 8 days checking out some of the the amazing places (Pamplona, Estella, Burgos, Castrojeriz (just loved checking out the castle), Leon, Sarria, Palas de Rei, etc.) I would count on around 40 days or more.

It is really worth slowing down by taking days off to look around some of the places you'll be staying. As has been said many times before - It's not a race!

You may never get back here to enjoy yourself as much as you can.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.