• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how long does it take?

jjarnold

Time of past OR future Camino
camino francés 2008, Via de la Plata March-april 2016
Greetings experienced pelerinos

I am planning to walk the camino frances from St Jean Pied de port in april next year.

how long does it take?

thanks

Jennifer

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Between 20 and 40 days, with typical guidebooks in the middle at 31-33

It took me 20 days consisting of 142 hours at about 3.5 miles per hour (at home carrying liquid only I can walk 18 flat miles in 4 hours) and I'm a good walker but no spring chicken

The El Pais book suggests about 30 days I think, although it's down to the individual. I've booked off 6 weeks from work, although I anticipate taking about 28-30 days to get to Santiago. I've factored in a few days in Santiago and a few more for any problems I may encounter (having had my bags left behind last time and essentially spending 2-3 days in Madrid waiting for them to arrive). That'll leave me a few more days to totter up to Finisterre and back (assuming nothing goes wrong!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would think of 30-32 days if you are planning to walk 25-27 km daily.

If this is too much for you ... may be one week more, or ... make numbers, to walk 800 km.

But just enjoy it, if necessary spend one day in any special place for you, this is not a race.

Don't do what you see in others pilgrims ... some people use to wake up very early, others use to ... the best, do as you think is the best for your pilgrimage.

Have a very good Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would recommend 35-38 days, if possible. This would allow you to take fairly short lengths for the first week of your Camino (12-20 km/day) and enable your body to build up strength without too much strain on your knees and feet. And, as well, should you wish to hang around Burgos or Leon for sightseeing, or put your feet up in Fromista and have a day snoozing, you would be free to do so.

That having been said, not everybody has the time but, as much as you can, let your body and your good sense set the pace, rather than a timetable.

Oursonpolaire, that kinda makes the trip from St. Jean Pied de Port a little trick, no?

Horses for courses, I say. If you feel like you want to stop, stop. The El Pais guide book is excellent, although it won't show all refugios it'll show most of the towns that have them. Useful to work from.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
how long does it take

Thanks everyone. your comments have helped me greatly. have decided to take an extra week off work so that i can amble along / rest at leisure and take the walk as i would really like to, without dealines.

there is much to discover on this forum, to help me plan. i am not going until april next year which will prove, i hope a seasonable month to walk

cheers to all

jennifer

How long

I spent ages contemplating this question.
When I do the pilgrimage it will be all the way from Helston,Cornwall,and back.I might just fudge a Boulogne start so I can spend a last weekend with my wife.
I'll be on a bicycle or tricycle.
Anyone can do the camino as many times as they like,but I think the first time is always bound to be the most important.
I cannot therefore believe that it matters how long it takes.
This should be an escape from the humdrum false priorities of life,and it cannot do that if one has to race against the clock.
I have already turned down several potential partners, purely because of this senseless"I must be back by...........". Because,of course,they must'nt,there is nobody alive that will be significantly missed for a month,even two.
My wife only today questioned me on this,I was able to give a likely start date,but not a finish date,although some time after one of the Festivals is probable............
Anyway,its much harder to find a way of getting a tricycle back from compostella to helston than it is cycling it there..................unless.................now there's an idea..........I pedal it back again,on a different route,meet The Dragon in,say,Bordeaux,spend a fortune on a hotel room and dinner and then pedal on..............
Is this a book?
robin

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.