• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long does Madrid Airport Customs take?

Roamin' Rob

Roamin' Rob
Time of past OR future Camino
summer 2015
Walking the Camino this summer for the first time. International flight arrives in Madrid at 8:30 am and there is an express train leaving the Madrid Chamartin station at 11 am to the city I am starting my Pilgrimage . I don't know if 2.5 hours is enough time to allow getting through customs and traveling the metro train to Chamartin station.

So I ask the experienced Pilgrims; how fast/slow/efficient/crowded is Madrid's customs process? In your experience, is 2.5 hours enough time to get from airplane landing to boarding the train in Chamartin? The metro rail system states 25 minutes to get from the airport to Chamartin station.

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In my case, May 2014, the customs, etc. went smoothly so this timing would have worked.

Would have worked for me but I had an afternoon arrival and the airport seemed empty!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
[QUOTE="Robert Barth, post: 282608, member] ................. I don't know if 2.5 hours is enough .................So I ask the experienced Pilgrims; how fast/slow/efficient/crowded is Madrid's customs process?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Depends on how much drugs you are smuggling I suppose:D

Seriously though, you should have ample time. I know people who regularly use Madrid airport.

Buen (train-catching start to your) Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
How much times would one save if they had no check luggage? This question does not address this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How much times would one save if they had no check luggage? This question does not address this.

In my experience, there is always a longer wait for checked luggage at Barajas, at least T4, than at other comparable major airports. Even if you land in the satellite international terminal, go through customs, and take the train to the main T4, you will likely have what feels like a hefty wait. I just did it last week, and if this post had come up earlier, I would have timed it! It may have to do with the distance from the plane to the baggage carousel.

Walking the Camino this summer for the first time. International flight arrives in Madrid at 8:30 am and there is an express train leaving the Madrid Chamartin station at 11 am to the city I am starting my Pilgrimage . I don't know if 2.5 hours is enough time to allow getting through customs and traveling the metro train to Chamartin station.

So I ask the experienced Pilgrims; how fast/slow/efficient/crowded is Madrid's customs process? In your experience, is 2.5 hours enough time to get from airplane landing to boarding the train in Chamartin? The metro rail system states 25 minutes to get from the airport to Chamartin station.

Thanks!

Robert, are you arriving in T4? If so, you should keep in mind the option that there is a Cercanias (commuter) train that takes 12 minutes to get from T4 to Chamartin. Those trains run at 28 and 58 after every hour. I highly recommend Cercanias over the metro, much less crowded, much faster, no pickpockets.

The other advantage is that there is a RENFE office right at the Cercanias entrance (because RENFE also runs the commuter line), so you can buy your train ticket there. That is an enormous time saver because lines at Chamartin to buy tickets can be long.

I go through immigration/customs a couple of times a year in Madrid and there never seems to be a line but I'm sure there are times when it gets crowded.

But in any event, if your plane is on time, I think you will be able to make an 11 am train. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks!
Once you arrive at Charmartin I believe you will need to transfer to Atocha to travel to Pamplona if this is your plan. Then by ALSA bus to St Jean Pied De Port. All time consuming getting out of customs is usually pretty quick.
Beun Camino

Be like a leaf on the river of life

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Once you arrive at Charmartin I believe you will need to transfer to Atocha to travel to Pamplona if this is your plan. Then by ALSA bus to St Jean Pied De Port. All time consuming getting out of customs is usually pretty quick.
Beun Camino

Be like a leaf on the river of life

Wow, that little detail escaped me when I was answering -- very important point that the train to Pamplona doesn't leave from Chamartin! Thanks, Con Palos!

Thanks!
Two and a half hours for passport control and to arrive to Chamartin is a bit short, too short actually. But you might make it if you have only hand-luggage, and you rush leaving the plane. . What terminal are you flying into? From T4 there is train service direct to Chamartin, two stops only, 15 min. The train departs every half an hour, at .58 and. 28. If you flying into another terminal, gets the free transit bus to T4; it is much quicker (and cheaper) than getting the tube to Nuevos Ministerios and change onto the line to Chamartin (45 min).
If you are checking in luggage, don't even try...you won't make it in two and half hours. Once in Chamartin you have to look for the right platform and all. A taxi won't make it quicker either, and definitely not quicker than the train from T4.

What city are you starting from, if I can ask?

The metro takes far longer than 25 min. Just to change lines in Nuevos Ministerios might take you half this time, this metro station is really big and confusing. In this station converge 3 tube lines plus 6 subterranean rail lines (Renfe). The Madrid- Metro webpage says 36 min...but it takes longer, far longer if you don't know the station well. No matter what terminal you are flying into, to go Chamartin is faster to go to T4 station (Metro and Renfe together ) to get the train to Chamartin.

Buen camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok, just to clarify, it looks like Robert has not said he's going to Pamplona, so that brings us back to the original question about getting to Chamartín in two and a half hours from the airport.

In my experience, this is completely possible, even with checked luggage, at least if the Cercanías schedule (28 and 58 after every hour) work for you. It´s just a 12 minute ride from T4 to Chamartín, and those trains are extremely reliable. Just rode them yesterday in fact, and I was in the airport in less than a half hour coming in from the suburbs, changing in Chamartín, and heading back out to the airport.

And as I said earlier, the other real advantage is that you can buy your train ticket at the RENFE office at the airport (located at the Cercanías ticket machines), which can save you a lot of time because there are frequently long lines in Chamartín (but they do have a special window for trains leaving in less than a half hour).

For Robert, I think the key question is whether he´s landing in T4 or one of the older terminals, because it´s more complicated and a more lengthy process if you don´t land in T4. Anyone flying Iberia, American, British Airways or any other One World partner airlines will arrive in T4, the rest are relegated to T1,2,3.

The time should be sufficient, but don't forget that your arrival time of 0830 is the time the plane wheels touch the tarmac and is not the arrival time at the arrival gate.
Buen Camino.

Ok, just to clarify, it looks like Robert has not said he's going to Pamplona, so that brings us back to the original question about getting to Chamartín in two and a half hours from the airport.

In my experience, this is completely possible, even with checked luggage, at least if the Cercanías schedule (28 and 58 after every hour) work for you. It´s just a 12 minute ride from T4 to Chamartín, and those trains are extremely reliable. Just rode them yesterday in fact, and I was in the airport in less than a half hour coming in from the suburbs, changing in Chamartín, and heading back out to the airport.

And as I said earlier, the other real advantage is that you can buy your train ticket at the RENFE office at the airport (located at the Cercanías ticket machines), which can save you a lot of time because there are frequently long lines in Chamartín (but they do have a special window for trains leaving in less than a half hour).

For Robert, I think the key question is whether he´s landing in T4 or one of the older terminals, because it´s more complicated and a more lengthy process if you don´t land in T4. Anyone flying Iberia, American, British Airways or any other One World partner airlines will arrive in T4, the rest are relegated to T1,2,3.

I am from Madrid, been living in London for twenty years, and I fly to-from Madrid every couple of months at least., and I have had every kind of experience landing in Barajas, from been on the train already 30 min later to spend more than 2 hours waiting for luggage. Two and a half hours is far too short if you have checked luggage (as I assume you will ,if you doing the Camino). And even with hand-luggage only, you have to assume there will not be any delay in the flight and there will not be long queues at passport control (usually there are not, at least for EU travelers). In any case, whatever terminal you land on, to go to Chamartin is far quicker by train, if not landing at T4, just get the transit bus to get to T4.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
By the way, the direct trains to Pamplona leave from Atocha, no from Chamartin (from here you have to change trains, usually in Vitoria. And it is far from "express", it takes for ever, 7.5 hours +).
From Atocha there are a few express trains to Pamplona daily, taking around 3.5 hours. They are Talgo trains using high-speed rail netwok (Alvia), reaching up to 250 km/hour.

Anyway, the trains from T4 to Chamartin go on to Atocha, just 15 min more, and you cross the whole of Madrid (north-south) underground passing through Puerta del Sol, the central Spanish point (km 0 ) for the six highways (Autovías) starting in Madrid:)

So what city you starting on?

Thank you all for the many replies. I believed I had set an email notification or alert to be sent to me each time a reply post was made. I didn't get any email notifications so I thought there were no posts. My sincere apologies for being so tardy in saying thank you.

Robert, from which city are you starting?

Your time should be enough, but depending on where you are going, you don't even need to go to Chamartin. From Barajas T4 you can hop directly into ALSA buses to Pamplona, Burgos and others. Tickets are sold on the spot.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We arrived in Madrid from London on a Sunday morning in May. Arrived at approximately 10am and were through customs and picked up check in luggage etc in time for our booked bus at 11.15. You should have plenty of time.

[All of thisQUOTE="hsabs, post: 317697, member: 26998"]We arrived in Madrid from London on a Sunday morning in May. Arrived at approximately 10am and were through customs and picked up check in luggage etc in time for our booked bus at 11.15. You should have plenty of time.[/QUOTE]

All of this brings up a question to me.
My wife and I are arriving in Madrid at 7:45 am on Aug. 26th, will all of these transfers allow us enough time to get to SJPP on the 26th or should we plan on spending the night somewhere in between?

The reason for needing this info is that we need to make a room reservation in SJPP and it looks like they are filling up now for those dates.

My plane reservations do not tell us what terminal we are arriving at in Madrid Barajas.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

[All of thisQUOTE="hsabs, post: 317697, member: 26998"]We arrived in Madrid from London on a Sunday morning in May. Arrived at approximately 10am and were through customs and picked up check in luggage etc in time for our booked bus at 11.15. You should have plenty of time.

My wife and I are arriving in Madrid at 7:45 am on Aug. 26th, will all of these transfers allow us enough time to get to SJPP on the 26th or should we plan on spending the night somewhere in between?

The reason for needing this info is that we need to make a room reservation in SJPP and it looks like they are filling up now for those dates.

My plane reservations do not tell us what terminal we are arriving at in Madrid Barajas.
Thanks for the help.
Steve[/QUOTE]

You should be able to get from Madrid Barajas Airport to Pamplona in time to catch the bus to SJPdP.

Here are your travel options. You can develop your own time appreciation. I would recommend allowing at least 2 hours from scheduled arrival to boarding bus or train.

Madrid

2001 This section discusses transportation services in Madrid.

Index 2000
2002 Madrid Airport
2003 Getting Around in Madrid
2004 Train Service Madrid
2005 Madrid Train Stations
2006 Madrid Airport to train station Puerta de Atocha
2007 Madrid Airport to train station Chamartin
2008 Bus Service Madrid
2009 Madrid Bus Stations
2010 Madrid Airport Access to Bus Station T4
2011 Madrid Airport to Bus Station Avendida de America
2012 Madrid Airport to Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid
2013 Madrid Airport to Bus Station Moncloa

2050 Madrid to Roncesvalles and Saint Jean Pied de Port via Pamplona

2002 Madrid Airport

The airport in Madrid is called Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD). There are 4 terminals. T1, T2, and T3 are in one building while T4 is connected via shuttle. Terminal 4S is connected to Terminal 4 by Automatic People Mover (APM) and has a shuttle stop.

Madrid Airport (MAD)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

2003 Getting around in Madrid

Connections to Madrid include subway (Metro), light rail transit (Cercanias), and bus (EMT).

Madrid Metro has stations at T1-T2-T3 and at T4. The trains run every 6 - 12 minutes.

Madrid Cercanias has a station at T4. The trains run every 30 minutes.

Empresa Municipal de Transportes (EMT) route 200 provides bus service from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Intercambiador de Avenida de America, a major urban bus, intercity bus and metro connection hub.

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express operates a bright yellow express bus every 13 -20 minutes from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Puerta de Atocha Renfe station.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanias (operated by Renfe)
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

EMT Madrid provides Madrid transit bus services
http://www.emtmadrid.es/

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express
http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

Renfe operates Spain's national train network.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/index.html

Madrid has two major Renfe train stations operated by adif; Puerta de Atocha and Chamartin.

Chamartin Renfe Station Madrid
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/17000/informacion_000295.shtml

Puerta de Atocha Renfe Station Madrid
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/60000/informacion_000070.shtml

a. Puerta de Atocha is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; line 10 to Tribunal; and, line 1 to Renfe Atocha.

b. Puerta de Atocha is reached by Renfe Cercanias direct from Madrid Airport T4

c. Puerta de Atocha is reached by EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express bus direct from Madrid Airport T1-T2-T3 or T4.

a. Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; and, line 10 to Chamartin.

b. Chamartin is reached by Renfe Cercanias direct from Madrid Airport T4.

2008 Bus Service Madrid

There are hundreds of bus companies in Spain. Usually the best tactic is to refer to bus station information at your destination for listings of bus service providers and schedules.

ALSA is a major bus carrier with service to Madrid.
http://www.alsa.es/en/

Avanza bus is a major bus carrier with service to Madrid.
http://www.avanzabus.com/web/default.aspx

2009 Madrid Bus Stations

There are several bus stations in Madrid. I've listed four. There likely are other stations that I'm not aware of at time of writing.

There is a bus station at Madrid Airport T4. See Transport and Access tabs.

Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid
http://www.estacionautobusesmadrid.com/frameset.html

Intercambiador de Avenida de America
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercambiador_de_Avenida_de_América

Moncloa
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estación_de_Moncloa

There is a bus station at T4 Barajas Airport. A shuttle connects T1-T2-T3 with T4.

2011 Madrid Airport to bus station Avenida de America

a. Intercambiador de Avenida de America (Madrid) is co-located with the Metro. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; and, line 9 to Avenida de America.

b. EMT route 200 provides bus service from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Intercambiador de Avenida de America

a. Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid is located near the Méndez Álvaro Metro Station. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; line 9 to Avenida de America; and, line 6 to Méndez Álvaro. Exit the Metro to find the bus station.

b. Take Renfe Cercanias train from T4 Barajas airport to Méndez Álvaro.

2013 Madrid Airport to bus station Moncloa

Madrid Moncloa is co-located with the Metro. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevo Ministerios; and, line 6 to Moncloa.

2050 Travel from Madrid to Roncesvalles and Saint Jean Pied de Port via Pamplona

2051 This section describes travel from Madrid to Roncesvalles and Saint Jean Pied de Port via Pamplona.

Index 2050
2052 Executive Summary
2053 Madrid to Pamplona by Train
2054 Madrid to Pamplona by Bus
2055 Pamplona
2056 Pamplona to Roncesvalles
2057 Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port
2058 Saint Jean Pied de Port

2052 Executive Summary

There are at least 3 options for travel from Madrid to Pamplona.

a. Travel by plane from Madrid to Pamplona.

b. Travel by Renfe train from Madrid to Pamplona.

c. Travel by bus from Madrid to Pamplona.

The urban bus to Roncesvalles and the international bus to Saint Jean Pied de Port leave from the bus station in Pamplona.

Note that bus service from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port is seasonal. The alternative is to travel via Bayonne or hire a taxi.

2053 Madrid to Pamplona by train

The Renfe train route from Madrid to Pamplona goes via Zaragoza. Transfers may be required so check the itenerary.

Renfe

2054 Madrid to Pamplona by bus

ALSA operates buses to Pamplona from Barajas Airport T4, and Estacion (or Intercambiador) de Avenida de America. Note there is usually a transfer at Soria or Zaragoza.

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/

2055 Pamplona

Pamplona Airport (PNA)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Pamplona/en/Home.html

Estacion de Autobuses de Pamplona
http://estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Inicio.aspx

Pamplona Renfe Station
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/80100/informacion_000111.shtml

Urban bus service to Roncesvalles is provided by Autocares Artieda and departs from Estacion de Autobuses de Pamplona. Note it does not operate on Sundays.

Autocares Artieda
http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=svpropios

CONDA provides ~seasonal~ bus service from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port. The bus makes a stop in Roncesvalles (even on Sundays).

CONDA (a subsidiary of ALSA) provides ~seasonal~ bus service from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port. The bus makes a stop in Roncesvalles and Valcarlos. The SJPdP bus stop is located near the junction of Route d'Uhart and Route d'Arneguy. Trip time is one hour 45 minutes. The bus then returns from SJPdP to Pamplona. The Conda site advises that you purchase the ticket from Pamplona to SJPdP separately from any other bus ticket.

Use the ALSA schedule international tab and click the 'query without date' button.

The bus service usually starts just prior to Easter and terminates at the end of autumn. Schedules are not usually updated more than one month in advance.

The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP ran daily 1000 13 June to 31 August 2014, 1430 1 June to 30 Sept 2014, and 1730 17 March to 30 September 2014. The schedule for the 1430 bus was extended first to 3 Nov 2014 and again to 7 Dec 2014.

ALSA

Conda
http://www.conda.es/

Saint Jean Pied de Port
http://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/default.aspx

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you don't already have your train ticket, you can get a bus to Pamplona from the curbside at T4. Purchase the ticket at the kiosk at the bus stop -- if I recall correctly, the kiosk accepts cash only, but may accept chipped credit cards.

Thanks for the help.
Steve

You should be able to get from Madrid Barajas Airport to Pamplona in time to catch the bus to SJPdP.

Here are your travel options. You can develop your own time appreciation. I would recommend allowing at least 2 hours from scheduled arrival to boarding bus or train.

Madrid

2001 This section discusses transportation services in Madrid.

Index 2000
2002 Madrid Airport
2003 Getting Around in Madrid
2008 Bus Service Madrid
2009 Madrid Bus Stations
2011 Madrid Airport to Bus Station Avendida de America
2013 Madrid Airport to Bus Station Moncloa

2050 Madrid to Roncesvalles and Saint Jean Pied de Port via Pamplona

2002 Madrid Airport

The airport in Madrid is called Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD). There are 4 terminals. T1, T2, and T3 are in one building while T4 is connected via shuttle. Terminal 4S is connected to Terminal 4 by Automatic People Mover (APM) and has a shuttle stop.

Madrid Airport (MAD)

2003 Getting around in Madrid

Connections to Madrid include subway (Metro), light rail transit (Cercanias), and bus (EMT).

Madrid Metro has stations at T1-T2-T3 and at T4. The trains run every 6 - 12 minutes.

Madrid Cercanias has a station at T4. The trains run every 30 minutes.

Empresa Municipal de Transportes (EMT) route 200 provides bus service from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Intercambiador de Avenida de America, a major urban bus, intercity bus and metro connection hub.

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express operates a bright yellow express bus every 13 -20 minutes from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Puerta de Atocha Renfe station.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanias (operated by Renfe)
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

EMT Madrid provides Madrid transit bus services
http://www.emtmadrid.es/

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express
http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

Renfe operates Spain's national train network.

Renfe

Madrid has two major Renfe train stations operated by adif; Puerta de Atocha and Chamartin.

Chamartin Renfe Station Madrid
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/17000/informacion_000295.shtml

Puerta de Atocha Renfe Station Madrid
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/60000/informacion_000070.shtml

a. Puerta de Atocha is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; line 10 to Tribunal; and, line 1 to Renfe Atocha.

b. Puerta de Atocha is reached by Renfe Cercanias direct from Madrid Airport T4

c. Puerta de Atocha is reached by EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express bus direct from Madrid Airport T1-T2-T3 or T4.

a. Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; and, line 10 to Chamartin.

b. Chamartin is reached by Renfe Cercanias direct from Madrid Airport T4.

2008 Bus Service Madrid

There are hundreds of bus companies in Spain. Usually the best tactic is to refer to bus station information at your destination for listings of bus service providers and schedules.

ALSA is a major bus carrier with service to Madrid.
http://www.alsa.es/en/

Avanza bus is a major bus carrier with service to Madrid.
http://www.avanzabus.com/web/default.aspx

2009 Madrid Bus Stations

There are several bus stations in Madrid. I've listed four. There likely are other stations that I'm not aware of at time of writing.

There is a bus station at Madrid Airport T4. See Transport and Access tabs.

Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid
http://www.estacionautobusesmadrid.com/frameset.html

Intercambiador de Avenida de America
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercambiador_de_Avenida_de_América

Moncloa
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estación_de_Moncloa

There is a bus station at T4 Barajas Airport. A shuttle connects T1-T2-T3 with T4.

2011 Madrid Airport to bus station Avenida de America

a. Intercambiador de Avenida de America (Madrid) is co-located with the Metro. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; and, line 9 to Avenida de America.

b. EMT route 200 provides bus service from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Intercambiador de Avenida de America

a. Estacion Sur de Autobuses de Madrid is located near the Méndez Álvaro Metro Station. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Colombia; line 9 to Avenida de America; and, line 6 to Méndez Álvaro. Exit the Metro to find the bus station.

b. Take Renfe Cercanias train from T4 Barajas airport to Méndez Álvaro.

2013 Madrid Airport to bus station Moncloa

Madrid Moncloa is co-located with the Metro. Take line 8 from Barajas airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevo Ministerios; and, line 6 to Moncloa.

2050 Travel from Madrid to Roncesvalles and Saint Jean Pied de Port via Pamplona

2051 This section describes travel from Madrid to Roncesvalles and Saint Jean Pied de Port via Pamplona.

Index 2050
2052 Executive Summary
2053 Madrid to Pamplona by Train
2054 Madrid to Pamplona by Bus
2055 Pamplona

2052 Executive Summary

There are at least 3 options for travel from Madrid to Pamplona.

a. Travel by plane from Madrid to Pamplona.

b. Travel by Renfe train from Madrid to Pamplona.

c. Travel by bus from Madrid to Pamplona.

The urban bus to Roncesvalles and the international bus to Saint Jean Pied de Port leave from the bus station in Pamplona.

Note that bus service from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port is seasonal. The alternative is to travel via Bayonne or hire a taxi.

2053 Madrid to Pamplona by train

The Renfe train route from Madrid to Pamplona goes via Zaragoza. Transfers may be required so check the itenerary.

Renfe

2054 Madrid to Pamplona by bus

ALSA operates buses to Pamplona from Barajas Airport T4, and Estacion (or Intercambiador) de Avenida de America. Note there is usually a transfer at Soria or Zaragoza.

ALSA

2055 Pamplona

Pamplona Airport (PNA)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Pamplona/en/Home.html

Estacion de Autobuses de Pamplona
http://estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Inicio.aspx

Pamplona Renfe Station
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/80100/informacion_000111.shtml

Urban bus service to Roncesvalles is provided by Autocares Artieda and departs from Estacion de Autobuses de Pamplona. Note it does not operate on Sundays.

Autocares Artieda
http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=svpropios

CONDA provides ~seasonal~ bus service from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port. The bus makes a stop in Roncesvalles (even on Sundays).

CONDA (a subsidiary of ALSA) provides ~seasonal~ bus service from Pamplona to Saint Jean Pied de Port. The bus makes a stop in Roncesvalles and Valcarlos. The SJPdP bus stop is located near the junction of Route d'Uhart and Route d'Arneguy. Trip time is one hour 45 minutes. The bus then returns from SJPdP to Pamplona. The Conda site advises that you purchase the ticket from Pamplona to SJPdP separately from any other bus ticket.

Use the ALSA schedule international tab and click the 'query without date' button.

The bus service usually starts just prior to Easter and terminates at the end of autumn. Schedules are not usually updated more than one month in advance.

The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP ran daily 1000 13 June to 31 August 2014, 1430 1 June to 30 Sept 2014, and 1730 17 March to 30 September 2014. The schedule for the 1430 bus was extended first to 3 Nov 2014 and again to 7 Dec 2014.

ALSA

Conda
http://www.conda.es/

Saint Jean Pied de Port
http://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/default.aspx[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.
Your compendium puts everything in place.
We are excited to begin the pilgrimage.
Steve

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you don't already have your train ticket, you can get a bus to Pamplona from the curbside at T4. Purchase the ticket at the kiosk at the bus stop -- if I recall correctly, the kiosk accepts cash only, but may accept chipped credit cards.
We appreciate the feedback. These forums have been a big help for us first timers.
Great advice about the cash and credit card.
Thanks
Steve

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back