• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long from Irun to San Sebastian

andrena

I will be starting the Camino on June 4th, staring in Irun and hope to reach San Sebastian in one day. How many hours will this take, and is it difficult? I'm with a friend who is fit however isn't sure about long distances, however to me it seems it is feasible. Any feedback please? Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is about 25 km from Hendaye (adjacent to Irun) to San Sebastian, so it can be done in a day.

I can't remember how long it took. I did it in one day and I believe most people do (as that is the way the albergues are spaced out --if that makes sense). There are some hills but I don't remember it being extremely difficult. It is a BEAUTIFUL day's walk.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Nice to hear, thank you, both of you. As we will be travelling light, are there places to refill water bottles or have lunch on the way? Or is it better to pack a sandwich?

Both Irun/Hendaye and San Sebastian have a lot of commerce, so there will be markets, bars, and restaurants. There will be water and food in abundance, but having a sandwich gives you the flexibility to stop when you want. If you are out of water with no fountain nearby, do not hesitate to ask residents for some water. They have always been very friendly to me in response.

Have a good Camino.

We will be in San Sebastian for a long wkend in August. I'm hoping to do the Irun - San Sebastian stage of the Camino as a day long trek.
Can anyone tell me should I buy a book/map or will it be way-marked in some way?

thank you, Marie.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Marie. Dont worry about the marks, it´s well marked and used by a lot of pilgrims, specially in july/august. Take the "topo, local train to arrive Irun, it will take you at less than 200 meters next to the Santiago Bridge in the border to France. The only problem is to choose the correct way to San Sebastian/Donostiat at the beginning. Some pilgrims take by mistake the "camino del interior" its well marked but it will take you to Oiartzun. Ask for Hondarribia/Fuenterrabía to choose the right way.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Considering that we were dipping ourselves in the sea in beautiful Zarautz yesterday evening it is certainly a change in weather today, however, that has not dampened our excitement of the walk...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back