• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

how long from saint jean to leon?

Yully

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances september 2016
Greetings fellow pilgrims!!!

This is my first post and I am very excited to become a part of the pilgrim community. I will walking the camino frances this upcoming September 2016 begining at saint jean. My friend will join me along the way at Leon. Does anyone know roughly how long it may take to get to Leon, including breaks so she knows when to start making her way to meet me? I'm not sure how often should I take a break along the way also. Any suggestions/tips would be much appreciated.

Yully-NYC

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

This is my first post and I am very excited to become a part of the pilgrim community. I will walking the camino frances this upcoming September 2016 begining at saint jean. My friend will join me along the way at Leon. Does anyone know roughly how long it may take to get to Leon, including breaks so she knows when to start making her way to meet me? I'm not sure how often should I take a break along the way also. Any suggestions/tips would be much appreciated.

Yully-NYC
It took me 22 days which included 2 days off - one in Pamplona and one in Burgos. I started March 26th at SJPDP and arrived Leon April 17th. I suggest that a day off every 7 days would be a good routine. I used the distances suggested in the Brierley Guide.

Buen Camino, - Mike

That's about the same as for me: 21 days including a day off and a couple of very short days.
Mike's suggestion of a day off per week is a good one--allowing time for rest and recovery.
I walked for 16 days before meeting a friend in Fromista--and then we walked together the rest of the way. (Edit: We had agreed to meet on a particular day and so I just walked in accord with a pace that would bring me there on time.)

Off topic but regarding walking with friends: don't be surprised if there are a few bumps, because walking alone and walking with another person are completely different experiences. But it's all good so long as you prepare for a change (by the time you get to Leon you'll have a rhythm and routine that works for you, and it may or may not work for your friend)! It only deepens the friendship to deal with this kind of thing in a mature and kind way...here are some threads about that that are definitely worth reading:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-with-a-companion.11101/#post-35919
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...your-partner-on-the-camino.39135/#post-390294
Welcome and Buen Camino, Yully!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Yully-NYC
Hi Yully, it's about 470 km. Last year I walked it in 21 day's.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Anywhere from 20-23 days depending on the individual. Plenty doable in 22 days at a fairly relaxed pace.
When you take a break will depend upon your situation at the time. You may end up meeting people and walking with them and never take a break, or you may arrive at one of the cities like Logrono or Burgos and say to yourself that you really want to stay there an extra day.
I'm not much of one for schedules or itineraries on the Camino, but if you are planning on meeting a friend in Leon you may come up with a solid, set day for that and plan accordingly.
Cheers and ultreia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Took me 12 days from St Jean in 2015 and 13 days in 2013 but it is such an individual thing, fitness levels, comfort in walking in afternoon heat, becoming part of a camino 'family' and adjusting your pace/ distance to the norm in the group. Day end locations is often a big factor - if finishing a day in a larger town then you will probably want a shorter day to give time to explore and see some of the sights, if finishing in a small village there will be far les to see and you may choose to finish later in the day rather than sun yourself outside the albergue. Regardless, have a great camino.

Seamus

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hint...Seamus is super-human. Don't try this at home!:eek::D
(Wow, youth and strength are amazing...I can't imagine this pace but am glad you can do it, Seamus)
Viranani, thank you for considering a 55 year old chain smoking diabetic such as me to be both young and super-human. Reality is that as a regular mountain hiker in Ireland, I spent the months before my caminos hiking regularly but increasing distances and duration so my feet and legs would be in the condition required to do what I was going to ask of them and really that is what the physical preparation for a camino should entail - a gradual process of conditioning your body for what you will ask it to do.

In my case I typically start about 7.30 am but I love walking through the afternoon when the majority are already in their albergues and I can feel that I almost have the camino to myself.

If walking 20 km days then that makes preparing much easier but doing a few 1 hour walks around the local park in the month before departing is still not really enough preparation for such straight forward days, As my holiday arrangements allowed me X days to walk the camino I wanted to walk then my preparation reflected that so I could happily average 40 kms with some confidence that my feet and legs were likely to co-operate. I certainly wouldn't suggest this as being suitable for the large majority BUT do make the mention as an indication how a good preparation can widen the window of what peregrinos can consider as possible.

Viranani, thank you for considering a 55 year old chain smoking diabetic such as me to be both young and super-human.
Ha ha ha! What do I know? :D Well, obviously young at heart, Seamus.
BUT do make the mention as an indication how a good preparation can widen the window of what peregrinos can consider as possible.
Actually it's even better that you're not. Very inspiring, actually. It just takes a bit of work. I like long days too--but for me 7AM to 5 PM with only a few short stops gets me about 34 kms further down the road, not 40+...and I can't imagine stringing a lot of these kind of days together as you have!
But then I've not had that kind of preparation! Well done.

The simple short answer is three weeks, more or less...or "mas o menas" as said in Spain...

FYI, Leon features as stage # 20 in Mr. Brierley's very popular and almost ubiquitous guide book. This assumes no rest or medical delay days en route.

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Yully-NYC
Well, Yully! Just wait a couple more days and someone will post saying they made it in about 20 minutes! If you're an inexperienced distance walker as I am, you might travel slowish. I'm pretty sure the experienced peregrinos would tell you not to push too hard early on if you want to last all the way to Santiago.

Is your friend flexible about her Leon ETA? You could wait until you're a week or so into it, then decide on a sensible arrival date at Leon. Or if that's not possible and you need an extra day or two, maybe she could wait for you.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Is your friend flexible about her Leon ETA? You could wait until you're a week or so into it, then decide on a sensible arrival date at Leon. Or if that's not possible and you need an extra day or two, maybe she could wait for you.
There are far worse things your friend can do than to wait an extra day in Leon!

And, if you need to, you can easily catch a bus or train to skip a stage if you're running behind schedule. The only damage done is to your pride.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Judging from your photo you look younger than just about everyone on here responding to your question. Still, I don't recommend walking to Leon from SJPdP in 12-13 days. I don't think you will enjoy it very much.

Many thanks to all!!! I very much appreciate all the replies. looks like my friend can not meet me til later in the camino. I planned to go to Oviedo after Leon. I dont want to be a pest but would anyone know how long it would take from Leon to Oviedo and also from Oviedo to Lugo and Lugo to Santiago de Compostelle. I am trying to map out where is the best place for her to meet me as she can only do 5days of Camino and leave the rest of the trip for sightseeing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are far worse things your friend can do than to wait an extra day in Leon!

And, if you need to, you can easily catch a bus or train to skip a stage if you're running behind schedule. The only damage done is to your pride.

"The only damage done is to your pride"

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Many thanks to all!!! I very much appreciate all the replies. looks like my friend can not meet me til later in the camino. I planned to go to Oviedo after Leon. I dont want to be a pest but would anyone know how long it would take from Leon to Oviedo and also from Oviedo to Lugo and Lugo to Santiago de Compostelle. I am trying to map out where is the best place for her to meet me as she can only do 5days of Camino and leave the rest of the trip for sightseeing.

I guess no one has an answer ... I'm not aware of any camino route from Leon to Oviedo ... perhaps that's why.

I dont want to be a pest but would anyone know how long it would take from Leon to Oviedo and also from Oviedo to Lugo and Lugo to Santiago de Compostelle

León to Oviedo is the Camino del Salvador (aka Camino de San Salvador). Oviedo to Lugo and Lugo to Melide is the Camino Primitivo. From Melide to Santiago de Compostela is the Camino Francés. There are many webs that suggest stages for those caminos (e.g.: www.gronze.com or www.mundicamino.com or http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es) so you can get an idea.

I'm not aware of any camino route from Leon to Oviedo

Take a look at the Camino del Salvador area of the forum.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back