• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Long is a Piece of String?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Good day... it's bright and sunny here in SW France and the morning mist is lifting from the valley and is just hanging in wisps around the trees... it's a lovely day. Made more lovely as I've finally convinced my husband that he would LOVE to walk a full camino!

He's walked a few days with me on my first CF and this year he did a few more days from Logrono but he's only ever managed 4 days because of his work and business commitments. In 2016 he's going to walk with me from Santiago to Fisterra but we've hatched a plan, using modern technology and connectivity, he can join me for a full camino in Autumn 2017. :D

We've talked about the Portuguese Route and I've been reading a few blogs and threads that whilst all sound lovely, do all talk a lot about the road walking? We don't want to do the CF again and as we live in France I guess we could do the Le Puy but I think I'd prefer to do a Spanish walk? I would love to do the VdlP but maybe it's a bit too far for my husband... but maybe not (we honeymooned in Seville so maybe can convince him?)

I guess the point of my rambling is to hear from folks who have walked more than one route... I know they must be like children, different and wonderful in equal measure... But I'd love to hear your thoughts? If you were in our shoes which would you pick? :rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not sure what a 'full camino' might be. If you walked Fisterra-Muxia-Santiago that appears to be a bit over 110 km, and qualify for the compostela, but if you mean something broadly the equivalent distance to the CF, then my experience is limited to that, and my wife and I plan to walk that next year. If I am fortunate enough to then walk one of the longer routes, I would be thinking of the Portuguese or one of the northern routes next.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what a 'full camino' might be. If you walked Fisterra-Muxia-Santiago that appears to be a bit over 110 km, and qualify for the compostela, but if you mean something broadly the equivalent distance to the CF, then my experience is limited to that, and my wife and I plan to walk that next year. If I am fortunate enough to then walk one of the longer routes, I would be thinking of the Portuguese or one of the northern routes next.

Yes sorry you're right I do mean a longer route. I never considered him qualifying for the compostela next year... I'll tell him :D

I did mean time and distance wise... I'm lucky in that I can take 5-6 weeks off if I plan it far enough in advance but his work means he simply can't take more than 2 weeks. We've decided that if he can carry a notebook and has good connectivity he can can keep an eye on things and we can also take a day off (or just do a short day) every week or 10 days, so he can keep things ticky over. I know for some this isn't ideal but if it means we can walk for 5 weeks together then it's a great solution for us... a great christmas present for me!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you walk the Porto-Santiago portion of the Camino Portuguese, it is about 250 km in total and takes about 10 days. From the PT/ES border at Tui, the distance is a little over the 100-Km qualifying threshold for a Compostela.

Tui is the second most popular starting point for Spanish pilgrims, after Sarria. Tui has decent bus and train connections in Spain. I do not know about getting there from France though.

If you can manage at least 10 days, the coastal route out of Porto, connecting to the central route is very nice. There is not all that much road walking and the roads, at least in the beginning, are all small country roads. Also, if you have not yet spent time in Porto, you must make time for that on the front end. You can post your "tourist stuff" ahead to Ivar at Santiago from any of the CTT post offices. The service is a good as the Correos in Spain and about as inexpensive.

I hope this helps.

For a five week camino (with the goal of ending in Santiago??), you've got lots of choices. I would look at

-- the Norte from Irun
-- the Vdlp (maybe starting a few days out of Sevilla, say in Zafra, to make sure you have time)
-- the Madrid to Sahagun followed by a few days on the Frances to Ponferrada, then on the Invierno
-- the Levante from Albacete (not exactly a wow-zer place to start but it would be a very do-able 35 days walk, I think)

I'm sure there are many more options, but these are some to start with. What a delicious dilemma to have. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We all have different ideas and stamina, but I would walk the Aragonés again, from Jaca to Puente La Reina. Then bus to Ponferrada and walk the Invierno to Santiago.;) I would love to live in SW France and be able to walk the Primitivo again, from Oviedo to Santiago, skipping the Sarria-Santiago stretch.:rolleyes:

wow thank you all for the ideas and suggestions!

We do have lots and lots of time to plan so I can take a look at the options. I think we can take 5 weeks... maybe I can pull out a few extra days for travel too. I never considered walking two routes, so that's an idea to look at... or even a longer route and perhaps skipping ahead? Lots to consider.

I think he's still liking the idea of the Portuguese route but the road walking is a little worry... it's a bit harder underfoot and also I've found that walking on the edge of roads (where the tarmac meets the verge) really hurts my ankles... I have a slight scoliosis and when walking around the roads at home I really find I ache a lot after a while; maybe because I already walk a little off... so I like to avoid roads when I can.

However, I'm so excited about walking again in September that I had my rucksack out yesterday taking a look at what I had and what I need. I think it's safe to say I'm an addict :rolleyes:

Just make very, very sure your husband is as sold on this idea as you are.
Nothing is worse than getting halfway down the trail and suddenly facing an insurrection.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just make very, very sure your husband is as sold on this idea as you are.
Nothing is worse than getting halfway down the trail and suddenly facing an insurrection.

:D I have asked and asked him this and he has said over and over he'd like to walk with me... although he'd never do it on his own! He's walked with me from Roncesvalles to Zubiri in 2014 and Logrono to Santa Domingo this year. I dont think it would ever be his first choice for a holiday but he says that he would much rather be with me than sat at home without me... ahh! :rolleyes:

His big issue is simply getting 5 weeks away from work... he works for himself but this makes it harder as he has to be sure clients are sorted. A lot of his business software is now online and the one bit that isn't he can use on a tablet... internet is getting better and better and so it's the first time he's really felt that he could walk with me.

In september he's going to meet me in Santiago and walk to Fisterra with me... so I think he's slowly getting the bug... we just need to decide which camino. I want it all... nice tracks, lovely villages and towns, history, countryside and a reasonable flow of pigrims but it doesn't need to be hugely busy... just the odd bit of company would be nice.

I thought I'd offer a little update... I think I've awakened a sleeping walking monster!

OH has spent the last few days pondering our walk. He's discovered A LOT of walks! He has his heart set now on the GR92, starting on the French Spanish border and walking for 4 weeks down along the Spanish coast. He says if we like it we can go back another time and finish the trail and cover the entire spanish mediterranean coast.

But, he's also got his eye on a route in Greece, Norway and France and possibly the UK... what have I started, he's even looking at 2-man tents?! :eek:

I still have a yearning to walk the Via de la Plata and I really think it's a route best walked in spring... there is no way he can take time off in April/May so I think this will be a solo walk for me at some point.

But... it's only 262 days until I'm back on the CF so I think I'll focus on that one for now and leave the GR planning to hubby... but GREAT news that he's got the bug!

(p.s. HAPPY NEW YEAR)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.