• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long is a piece of string ?

Hiawatha

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra 2017
GR70 France 2018
Via Francigena 2019
Thanks for the advice on returning from St Jean . :)

So to book air travel I need some indication of the time needed to walk the Le Puy , an estimate of course .
I do know this is almost as bad as asking what the weather will be but then Australia is a long way from France .
I was 'guesstimating' around 36 walking days , does this sound feasible ? I'm no racehorse , why would you rush in such a beautiful place ? but hardly do I dawdle either , 25/30 km per day is fine for me , perhaps less when the slopes inevitably get steeper .
Any thoughts welcome , I'm going to pad the end a little anyway and perhaps visit Lourdes in tribute to my recently departed Mother .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Charles
I'm also in AU. I gather you mean from Le Puy to SJPdP? If yes then your estimate is about right ( if you're doing 25-30 plus a few rest days )
Nigel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it was 35 days for me, with rest days in 3 places, and longer for the Cele alternative.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It took us 31 days to walk from Le Puy to SJPP and we passed through the Cele River valley (a beautiful way). No rest days. I looked back at our blog and we listed each stage we walked with distances (at least approx. distances)

I left Le Puy on Wednesday, 6 April and arrived Saint-Jean on Monday, 1 May. This included two rest days: one planned at Moissac and one forced at Eauze.

I had my come-uppance a few days later. I should have stopped at Zariquiegui but decided to carry on to Uterga. I was fearful of the loose rubble on the decent from Alto: then I found a flight of a dozen or more "steps" and literally flew down. About an hour into the next morning I had significant pain in my right hip. After many rest days and attempts to continue I "retired hurt".

I enjoyed my way in France more than in Spain a year later. My reflection is that groups in France were smaller and easier for me to connect with. There were also more meals on offer and communal kitchens and meals taken together than I encountered in Spain a year later.

@Charles Zammit , your guesstimate of 36 days might be more reasonable.

I wish you bon route and that you have as many interactions with locals and pilgrims as I had, and more. And at least the range of sights and more that I experienced.

So, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Hi, it took me 39 days, including 2 rest days.
Jill
These are both about the Camino Francis, really great but would love to about your Le Puy SJPP trip!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
These are both about the Camino Francis, really great but would love to about your Le Puy SJPP trip!

Hi, it took me 39 days, including 2 rest days, from Le Puy to SJPP :).
Jill

Hi, it took me 39 days, including 2 rest days, from Le Puy to SJPP :).
Jill
I walked this in 28 days, plus a rest day in Figeac and Cahors.
Bill

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back