A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

How long is a piece of string ?

Charles Zammit

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances , St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra May/ June 2017
Le Puy en Velay - Ales May 2018
Thanks for the advice on returning from St Jean . :)

So to book air travel I need some indication of the time needed to walk the Le Puy , an estimate of course .
I do know this is almost as bad as asking what the weather will be but then Australia is a long way from France .
I was 'guesstimating' around 36 walking days , does this sound feasible ? I'm no racehorse , why would you rush in such a beautiful place ? but hardly do I dawdle either , 25/30 km per day is fine for me , perhaps less when the slopes inevitably get steeper .
Any thoughts welcome , I'm going to pad the end a little anyway and perhaps visit Lourdes in tribute to my recently departed Mother .

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances SJPdP-SdC 2016, SdC-Fisterre 2016, Le Puy-SJPdP-Logrono 2017 Te Araroa 2018
Hi Charles
I'm also in AU. I gather you mean from Le Puy to SJPdP? If yes then your estimate is about right ( if you're doing 25-30 plus a few rest days )
Nigel

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese.
I think it was 35 days for me, with rest days in 3 places, and longer for the Cele alternative.

edandjoan

Camino(s) past & future
St. Gallen to Muxia
2012-2018
It took us 31 days to walk from Le Puy to SJPP and we passed through the Cele River valley (a beautiful way). No rest days. I looked back at our blog and we listed each stage we walked with distances (at least approx. distances)

Camino(s) past & future
please see signature
I left Le Puy on Wednesday, 6 April and arrived Saint-Jean on Monday, 1 May. This included two rest days: one planned at Moissac and one forced at Eauze.

I had my come-uppance a few days later. I should have stopped at Zariquiegui but decided to carry on to Uterga. I was fearful of the loose rubble on the decent from Alto: then I found a flight of a dozen or more "steps" and literally flew down. About an hour into the next morning I had significant pain in my right hip. After many rest days and attempts to continue I "retired hurt".

I enjoyed my way in France more than in Spain a year later. My reflection is that groups in France were smaller and easier for me to connect with. There were also more meals on offer and communal kitchens and meals taken together than I encountered in Spain a year later.

@Charles Zammit , your guesstimate of 36 days might be more reasonable.

I wish you bon route and that you have as many interactions with locals and pilgrims as I had, and more. And at least the range of sights and more that I experienced.

So, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%