• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How Long Through the Airport

CSmith

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2017
Hey all,

My husband and I are at a 2-week countdown to departure. We fly to Madrid and I am pre-purchasing my train ticket today.

In my home city in the U.S., it can take hours to get out of the airport because of immigrations and customs lines. What can I expect in Madrid? We arrive at 8:30 a.m. We need to drop-off a suitcase at the Correos office at Terminal 1 then will transport to the Madrid-Chamartin station to catch our train. I am trying to decide which train schedule to aim for.

Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am trying to decide which train schedule to aim for.
Eventhough your flight is scheduled to land at 0830, it may be late. Let's give it a 30 minute allowance. Baggage, customs and immigration can be highly variable; let's say an hour. Then you need to make that supplemental bag drop; add another 30 minutes. So we are at two hours before leaving the airport. To await a bus, or hail al cab, and get into town to the train station, might take an additional hour. That makes three hours as a very conservative estimate; the process may well take only two hours.

Alternatively, you could make progress as best you can, and buy your train ticket when you do finally reach the station.

Hi CSmith and welcome to the forum!

Give yourself as much margin as you'd give yourself trying to make it out of your home airport. Madrid Barajas is one of the more sprawling airports of the world, and baggage claim + walking through + customs/ immigration + train shuttle from one terminal to the next + possible post office wait (whatever it might look like) will eat up time.

Hope that helps. Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino.
Faith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Madrid airport is huge. It can take 30 minutes by tram (times are posted) just to get from one terminal to the next. I would allow at least a couple of hours or even more if you have things to do at the airport.

And yes, your flight could be late. Especially if you are flying on Iberia. ;)

Is there any particular need to book the train? There are also a ton of buses direct from the airport to destinations all over Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I like Kitsamler's time appreciation.

Assuming you're planning on Pamplona ...

I'd plan on 1505 train from Chamartin and, if you buy tickets in advance, buy with the option to exchange for the 1135 in the event that everything goes without snags.

You might want to consider going to Intercambiador de Avenida de America. Between PLM Autocares and ALSA there is a bus for Pamplona hourly.

I just came in to T 1 four hours ago, and it took 30 minutes - mid-day - once I was off the plane to go thru pp control (same line as EU folks - I'm a US citizen), wait for and collect my checked bag, and arrive at the bus to take me in to central Madrid. I was coming from London, not from the US.

You might want to take the taxi to get to the train station.
30 euro flat rate.
And for those who haven't booked there flight yet,
I arrived at Madrid airport 6:30 am last year.
I was out of the airport as quick as I could walk.
It was like a ghost town

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
CS, I plan on shipping my luggage after I arrive at Madrid AP in June. I was going to use luggage transfer service at Terminal 4 (in the basement) which will shrink wrap & then send luggage to Ivar for $40. If you don't mind me asking - how will you wrap your luggage for transport and how much to ship from the Correaa? TY, Laurie

I was at Chamartin station 3 weeks ago, and there is a Correos there. I can't advise of the opening times, but it could be worth a google search.

As others have Madrid Barajas is huge. Even if you fly into T4, it may well be the T4S satellite terminal, which involves a train shuttle to the main T4 terminal.

Depending on which terminal you arrive into, you probably should allow at least 3 hours. Better to have too much time than having to rush around in a panic.

Train tickets can be considerably cheaper when booked in advance.
Note that semi-refundable (not sure that's the right term?) tickets are only able to be changed/refunded UP TO the day of travel - meaning you can't change them on the day if your flight arrives late. So not worth buying. Fully refundable advance tickets are the same price as walk-up tickets on the day (but then you maybe don't have the same seating options because the seats have been booked already!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
CS, I plan on shipping my luggage after I arrive at Madrid AP in June. I was going to use luggage transfer service at Terminal 4 (in the basement) which will shrink wrap & then send luggage to Ivar for $40. If you don't mind me asking - how will you wrap your luggage for transport and how much to ship from the Correaa? TY, Laurie

I hadn't even thought of it, Laurie. It will be a small suitcase. After our Camino, my husband has to fly directly to another continent for a previous commitment, and he needs a different sort of clothes. I only chose Correo because folks on this forum told me about it. I have no idea how much it costs.

The Madrid airport is huge. It can take 30 minutes by tram (times are posted) just to get from one terminal to the next. I would allow at least a couple of hours or even more if you have things to do at the airport.

And yes, your flight could be late. Especially if you are flying on Iberia. ;)

I leave in just under two weeks (5/31/17) and arrive in Madrid 02:20 pm 6/1/17. I thought I had worked through all of my night-time terrors and was just starting to sleep at night. Now this Madrid airport thing has come up and I'm at it again. Yes, Iberia... however, my question is this? I have a connecting flight to Pamplona departing 04:10pm. If I'm fortunate enough to get my backpack onto the cabin, I won't have checked luggage. I never thought about customs... do I have to go through prior to my flight to Pamplona or can I go through customs there? Now I am really beginning to wonder if my 02:20pm arrival (in a perfect world will be on time ;)) and a departure time of 04:10pm is enough time. BTW, the flight to Pamplona is on Air Nostrum Lam operated by Iberia. I never questioned timing since my reservations were made through a travel agent. Kind of too late to make a changes now :oops:. Any help with be greatly appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I leave in just under two weeks (5/31/17) and arrive in Madrid 02:20 pm 6/1/17. I thought I had worked through all of my night-time terrors and was just starting to sleep at night. Now this Madrid airport thing has come up and I'm at it again. Yes, Iberia... however, my question is this? I have a connecting flight to Pamplona departing 04:10pm. If I'm fortunate enough to get my backpack onto the cabin, I won't have checked luggage. I never thought about customs... do I have to go through prior to my flight to Pamplona or can I go through customs there? Now I am really beginning to wonder if my 02:20pm arrival (in a perfect world will be on time ;)) and a departure time of 04:10pm is enough time. BTW, the flight to Pamplona is on Air Nostrum Lam operated by Iberia. I never questioned timing since my reservations were made through a travel agent. Kind of too late to make a changes now :oops:. Any help with be greatly appreciated.

You do customs at Madrid. Pamplona has only domestic flights.

If your flight from origin to Pamplona via Madrid is one ticket then don't worry about it. If you don't make a connection you'll get placed on the next flight.

I might suggest looking at Barajas Airport map and plot your route from arrival terminal to departure terminal.

http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/index.html

If you find yourself stranded ... take a bus to Pamplona. No sweat.

As with all flights and airports wait times are variable.
I came through Madrid airport at 1 pm theee days ago through the non EU citizen queue and the lines were huge. At least 1/2 hr.
Thenthere was a lot of walking plus a train to baggage collection from our terminal (at least 20 mins).
The customs inspection was walk straight through.

The time your ticket says you will land is on the runway.

Usually if you have a deadline the queues will be huge, if you have no deadline you will breeze through.

So, relax and let it happen!

Thanks... I know this is exactly what I need to do. My mom used to tell me if I didn't have something to worry about I would worry about it. Guess she was right :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You do customs at Madrid. Pamplona has only domestic flights.

If your flight from origin to Pamplona via Madrid is one ticket then don't worry about it. If you don't make a connection you'll get placed on the next flight.

I might suggest looking at Barajas Airport map and plot your route from arrival terminal to departure terminal.

http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/index.html

If you find yourself stranded ... take a bus to Pamplona. No sweat.

Thank you. All good advice, which is why I turn to this forum in the first place :). I will definitely check out the airport link.

I have a connecting flight to Pamplona departing 04:10pm.
BTW, there is no bus service from the airport into Pamplona. You can take a taxi or a street bus but the street bus does not stop at the airport. It does run by it though and should only cost a bit over a euro. It is line #16 and will stop across from the Pamplona bus station. From the airport you have to walk either north or south along the main road to a bus shelter. From Google street view it looks like the southern stop is more interesting. You want the stops on the other side of the road from the airport.

Here is an interactive map point out the above mentioned places:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4....Line 16 bus stop||42.770318,-1.645714^Airport

BTW, there is no bus service from the airport into Pamplona. You can take a taxi or a street bus but the street bus does not stop at the airport. It does run by it though and should only cost a bit over a euro. It is line #16 and will stop across from the Pamplona bus station. From the airport you have to walk either north or south along the main road to a bus shelter. From Google street view it looks like the southern stop is more interesting. You want the stops on the other side of the road from the airport.

Here is an interactive map point out the above mentioned places:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4....Line 16 bus stop||42.770318,-1.645714^Airport

Thanks much. I have actually planned on taking a taxi. I have a reservation in Pamplona and figured a taxi could just take me right there. After a long flight(s) from LAX I thought it would just be the easiest way. Even with all my anxiety, I really am looking forward to my pilgrimage :). Just last minute jitters getting to me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back