• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long will the church be under repair?

Time of past OR future Camino
(SJPP - Finisterre)
Last year when I arrived in Santiago I was surprised to see the scaffolding on the cathedral. Does anyone know if it is still up and if so, how long it will be up? Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ivar may be able to answer that better than most as he lives there but one section was nearly complete last time I was there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Late May it was still being repaired. One of the towers was beautiful, the other one and the front entrance were still covered.

And the cathedral tour guide said they will protect the statue of Maestro Matteo and people won't be able to touch it anymore, because "many pilgrims were punching it so hard that it was getting heavily damaged".

One of the more common sights in European travel, Spain, France, Italy, doesn't matter, your favorite church/cathedral covered in blue plastic tarp and scaffolding - sigh.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Late May it was still being repaired. One of the towers was beautiful, the other one and the front entrance were still covered.

And the cathedral tour guide said they will protect the statue of Maestro Matteo and people won't be able to touch it anymore, because "many pilgrims were punching it so hard that it was getting heavily damaged".

Oh, wow. How sad, but a sign of the times I guess with any ancient building. Even without "punching" I'd image the statue would have begun to wear heavily over the years.

My husband and I visited Santiago in 2006 as tourists, walked into the cathedral, placed our fingers in the "proper" indentations on the pillar, and then climbed the stairs to the statue of St. James and gave him a hug. I remember being awed at the thought that thousands had done the same before me, over hundreds of years. Who would have guessed that when we finally arrive as pilgrims, neither one may still be possible. A good thing to remember when I might be tempted to touch some other statue, object, way-marker along the trail. We leave our marks whether we realize it or not.

I remember being awed at the thought that thousands had done the same before me
It took human hands from about 1188 onward to make the indentation. Yes, there is impact with each touch, but not much.;)

It took human hands from about 1188 onward to make the indentation. Yes, there is impact with each touch, but not much.;)

It'seems comforting to think of that. Let's hope it's around another 800 years or so for all those future pilgrims to look at and consider. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One of the more common sights in European travel, Spain, France, Italy, doesn't matter, your favorite church/cathedral covered in blue plastic tarp and scaffolding - sigh.

Those churches don't stick around for a thousand years without a little upkeep. Let's count ourselves fortunate to see the work of modern day craftsmen who carry on the work of their predecessors.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, I too would like to know if the cathedral is unwrapped yet? It being May 2016, could someone let us all know and also whether the scaffolding was over the pilgrims door as this is the Pope's year of mercy and it would be nice to use the pilgrim's entrance. Thanks in anticipation!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took this picture 30 April 2016 on arrival. Not sure when it will come down. Still a beautiful sight.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
The door of mercy was open and on the other side of the cathedral. We were able to pass through it.

Wow that's more scaffolding than in 2015! Thanks for the pic, most illuminating (pun;) looking forward and hoping to walk through that special door as you have. Thanks for your kind reply.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow that's more scaffolding than in 2015! Thanks for the pic, most illuminating (pun;) looking forward and hoping to walk through that special door as you have. Thanks for your kind reply.
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.