Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

how long?

Lorelei

I am planning to walk El Camino del Norte in early Sept (starting around the 9-14th) if I start in Irun....how long will it talk? On averge, with some side treks, and I know we can't predict the weather but does anyone know how warm/cold/wet...

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Hi Lorelei,

There's no guarantee what the weather, the number of peregrinos, the availability of water or space at the albergues will be. As much as you may plan, the Camino will dictate everything! That's the reality! The key is beginning with a pack on only what you REALLY need and putting one foot in front of the other. Start off with the knowledge that you'll have great days when all is wine (oh how I enjoyed the wine) and roses. Then realize that roses have thorns!

Take the first step and keep moving!

Buen Camino

Arn

Javier Martin

Veteran Member
Anyway, Lorelei, in autumn it's normal a wet weather in the Camino del Norte. This is the reason why, all the north of Spain is "green" (we call it "La España humeda", the wet Spain) and for example Castilla, Burgos, Palencia, etc, it's "less green".

During the last years weather is crazy, but if you find several rainy days this is normal.

But don't worry! the camino will be yours, no runs for the albergues, people is nice, everything is green, beautiful, food is incredible, and ....

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Hi Lorelei,
For a more-or-less reply, it is about 825km from Irun to Santiago (depending on the route you take) so if you can walk 25kms per day you should do it in 33 days. Some villages are close together and others are further apart so you might need a few more days.
Did I send you Annette Rausberg’s diary? She walked the camino norte in 29 days a few years ago and kept a charming online diary of her walk. Mail me if you would like a copy. sillydoll@gmail.com

Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads