• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many Caminos ?

scubajunky

HI All,
I have walked from SJPDP to Burgos and then the following year from Astorga to Santiago.
I'm considering doing the Camino Portugues and then maybe the Primitivo after it, starting late March/ Early April.
So my question is, how many times have people done the Camino Frances ? and how do other caminos compare if you have done other ones ?
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, I'd be interested to hear peoples viewpoints.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Check out what others have written re walking a second time and more in this earlier Forum thread.
I have walked the CF ten times from SJPdP to Santiago during the past years. Although the route may have been the same each journey was always very special. ...May those memories never cease.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Frances in 2012 with my son and I loved all of it. The people and places and views and food and experience. Loved it. So when I went back last year alone I thought I would just walk it again. But talking it over with other people erroneously convinced me to try a new route. I walked the Norte for a couple of weeks before I fell down the stairs at the albuergue and ended it. Just before I fell - the same day - I had decided to drop down to the Frances asap.
The Norte was lovely. And it was different. But for me it was lonely. I met only two people as I walked. I met a few people in the albuergues at night...a very few. But it just didn't have the same feel to it for me. I think I just never realized before how much I enjoyed the other peregrinos I shared the Camino with...rather, I realized it but didn't realize the importance of that aspect in my overall experience. And maybe I overestimated my love of solitude. Live and learn, right?
I am going back next month and I am doing the Frances!

Some people do only the Francés, and keep doing it, year after year. I did repeat a bit of the Meseta last year because I wanted to introduce a friend to the Camino, but on the whole, I'm more interested in new ones.

I met a Madrileño last year who just completed his 17th Camino Frances. He said he's done a couple of the other caminos, but always comes back to the Frances. Apparently he really likes it ;)

Oh yeah, he showed me his bare feet. They looked like leather.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have only walked the Camino Francés twice and I must say I am really longing to do it again....
One of the reasons I walked VdlP/Sanabres last year and planning on walking part of the Camino del Norte and the Primitivo this year is.....
I think (only my personal opinion, mind!) the CF is easier therefore I would rather discover the more demanding ones whilst I still can :confused:
So many caminos, so little time !

I first ealked SJJP to Burgos, the Leon to Santiago, then finished the CF by doing Pamplona to Leon. Then started in San Sebastian to Llanes, then did the Primitivo. Now will do Porto to Santiago to Fisterra and Muxia. I like leaving bits undone: they call me to get back to walk them.

HI All,
I have walked from SJPDP to Burgos and then the following year from Astorga to Santiago.
I'm considering doing the Camino Portugues and then maybe the Primitivo after it, starting late March/ Early April.
So my question is, how many times have people done the Camino Frances ? and how do other caminos compare if you have done other ones ?
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds, I'd be interested to hear peoples viewpoints.
I haven't walked the French Way yet, that will happen next month (14 April). I have walked the long English Way in 2013 and the short Portuguese Way in 2014. Of the 2 that I have walked, I liked the Portuguese the best. For me, it was a laid back walk. The people, the trail, the climbs were all laid back.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Frances in 2012 with my son and I loved all of it. The people and places and views and food and experience. Loved it. So when I went back last year alone I thought I would just walk it again. But talking it over with other people erroneously convinced me to try a new route. I walked the Norte for a couple of weeks before I fell down the stairs at the albuergue and ended it. Just before I fell - the same day - I had decided to drop down to the Frances asap.
The Norte was lovely. And it was different. But for me it was lonely. I met only two people as I walked. I met a few people in the albuergues at night...a very few. But it just didn't have the same feel to it for me. I think I just never realized before how much I enjoyed the other peregrinos I shared the Camino with...rather, I realized it but didn't realize the importance of that aspect in my overall experience. And maybe I overestimated my love of solitude. Live and learn, right?
Sorry about your misfortune on the Norte last year. I'm walking my first French Camino starting on the 14th of next month. Maybe our paths will cross.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Sorry about your misfortune on the Norte last year. I'm walking my first French Camino starting on the 14th of next month. Maybe our paths will cross.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Oh I hope so! And please don't be sorry! I used crutches and the time to run all over Europe...had a blast! It was wonderful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh I hope so! And please don't be sorry! I used crutches and the time to run all over Europe...had a blast! It was wonderful.
Easy to spot. I always add "happy trails" to my buen camino. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I haven't walked the French Way yet, that will happen next month (14 April). I have walked the long English Way in 2013 and the short Portuguese Way in 2014. Of the 2 that I have walked, I liked the Portuguese the best. For me, it was a laid back walk. The people, the trail, the climbs were all laid back.
Buen Camino

Happy Trails
Im thinking of starting from Porto on 1st April till Santiago. Doo you think 11 days would be enough for the walk and also regarding weather if you can give me any hints please. Thanks Julie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have been on the Camino Frances twice a year for the last nine years, but I stopped counting the actual 'Camino walks' along time ago. I did that based on something Orietta at Refugio Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de la Rioja said to me when I asked her how many time she had walked. She said the number of times isn't important, it's the experience of each journey that matters.

That said, I have counted how many times I have led groups over the Pyrenees, from SJPP to Pamplona, since I have impressed myself with that accomplishment! Twelve times leading groups, plus four additional times on my own walks.

People sometimes ask me why I haven't walked any other routes in all this time. For me, the Camino Frances is my pilgrimage route. I have been on pilgrimage for over 10 years on this route, and walking any other route wouldn't be a pilgrimage, per se, it would just be a walk. A crazy thing happened to me a couple of months ago - the Camino 'let me go.' I think I am almost done. I will be leading a group in September, and that may be my final journey. (I reserve the right to change my mind on that!)

Most of the people will identify Camino de Santiago with Camino Frances. It was my first Camino as well. Then came Aragones, Portuguese, VDLP... The Pilgrimage was my first Camino. Next ones were more on long distance hiking, group therapy and summer holiday side. Nothing wrong with this, but I believe these things should not be confused.

Im thinking of starting from Porto on 1st April till Santiago. Doo you think 11 days would be enough for
Im thinking of starting from Porto on 1st April till Santiago. Doo you think 11 days would be enough for the walk and also regarding weather if you can give me any hints please. Thanks Julie
1. Get a guide book. I doubt if the route has changed but places to stay probably have.
2. 11 days should be enough but leaves no time for taking in the sites.
3. Weather.....The rain in Spain falls mainly in Galicia and coastal Portugal.
4. At the time I walked the Portuguese, people started at the bridge that crosses the bay at Matosinhos due to lack of accommodations.
5. Do take a day walk up the coast from Matosinhos to Vila do Conde.
6. Do try to spend a night at Casa Fernanda.
7. If you spend the night in Tui go back to Portugal a visit the old border fort or stop and go inside the fort before crossing into Spain and Tui. The route from the fort to the boarder is marked with arrows.
8. The coastal and inland routes are well marked with arrows. Trust the arrows.
9. Use great caution going from Vila do Conde to Rates. You will reach a point where there are very narrow roads, blind curves, no shoulders, and high walls but only for a few kilometers.
Bom Caminho

Happy Trails

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
June will be my second attempt. We had our first attempt in 2014, but had to cut it short due to an emergency at home. So now we are going back to finish what we started - starting in Burgos, and hopefully making it to Santiago.

I have walked the CF three times and am returning for a fourth time in June. I have ruled out the Camino Norte (too much pavement, which is not friendly to my 68-year old legs), the VDLP (stages are too long for me; I average 16 to 20 kms per day), and am ambivalent about the Camino Portuguese. Plus, there is an energy on the CF that I so love - you meet so many different people from all corners of the earth, and I don't think you meet that many people on the other routes. Who knows - maybe I'll explore other routes if I ever get bored with the CF, but it's not happening yet.

How will we do our journey? The first camino I did (1999) was rushed to say the least, with the flat stage from Burgos to Leon some 186 km taking 4 days and the 111 km from Sarria took from Thursday lunchtime to early Saturday afternoon.
My following CFs in 04 and 08 were taken in a more gentle fashion (more of a wine tasting). So many people from old Florida Bob to young miss "Apple Crumble".
For a change I used a mini bike in 2013 and 2014 for the V.D.L.P and the CF. The Porto Camino 2015 found me walking again ( aged over 70) the inland route so full of interest, meeting so many people.
This year, after the Rock in Lisbon concert May 19th-20th, I will be walking the coastal path to Santiago, old bones hoping for seaside sun.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked the inland route from Porto in 8 days but 9 would be better. Agree with comments on road dangers with stone-walled narrow roads and fast traffic after Vila do Conte. Was lucky with weather but people starting the week before had great rain and much mud.

Walked the inland route from Porto in 8 days but 9 would be better. Agree with comments on road dangers with stone-walled narrow roads and fast traffic after Vila do Conte. Was lucky with weather but people starting the week before had great rain and much mud.
The only days it didn't rain were our days off :mad:

Hi, I've only walked the Camino once!
Once to prove I was tough enough to walk the 800km with the same pace and attitude I had twenty years before. I was wrong!
Once to make amends for my previous failings. The past is just that the past. This Camino revealed to me that today is living...with all that may entail. Tomorrow may just lead to another bar.
Once because I had a short time to give to the effort. But in the solitude...the time spent were as years to my well being.
Once because...dog gone it...I missed the camaraderie of my fellow pilgrims. And, because Johnnie Walker promised to play the organ in the basilica in Pontevedra.
Once as an opportunity to expose my parish priest to the beauty and fellowship the Way brings to all...pilgrim, priest or pauper.
Maybe I'll walk the Way again. Then again, sometimes once is enough.
Buen Camino,
Arn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi Chacharm, How unfortunate for you to fall and end your Camino! It's great that you'll be back:) In 2013 I walked the Camino del Norte in search of solitude and physical challenge, and I found both. For me it was so much more than what I had anticipated; it was a journey of introspection, and though I didn't think so at the time, it became a spiritual moving experience like I'd never had before. At night it was always enjoyable to talk to other pilgrims (very few) and the local people. I do enjoy people, don't get me wrong, but the 2 last days of my Camino I joined the Francés and found it to be so busy, so noisy, with occasional smokers along the way, all in all, it was rather disappointing, comparing it to the quiet CDN and the Primitivo.
I, too am going again to walk another Camino next month, and again am hoping to find that solitude that I seek.
My hope is that you have safe travels and an unforgettable experience on your Camino this year!

Ultreïa!

Mary

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back