• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days do I need to get to Santiago from Coimbra?

marcodaprato

Time of past OR future Camino
Portoghese camino from the 9th august.
Hello friends, I will start my camino the 10th of august and I'm 44 years old and a pretty good athletic shape. Sticks are recommended? Thank you and God bless you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are leaving Lisbon on Sept 3 and have planned 18 walking days from Coimbra to Santiago with one rest day in Porto. That is an Average of 20 kilometers a day we are in our 60's but in good shape, it really depends on you walking ability. We don't carry sticks but never have.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have done the Camino 4x and
will do it again on August 22. The
walking sticks(two), are the most
important tools in my opinion!!!!
In addition to provide an extra leg,
which is extremely helpful in climbing
and descending, even more important is maintaining the equilibrium while walking at uneven terrain that can potentially cost you
a torsion and delay your trip. The price came down and they are really
affordable to everyone budget!
Good luck and buen Camino!!!

I Wouldn't dream about walking the caminho or any long distance hike/walk/pilgrimage without my (LEKI) poles. Did once a day walk without using poles (thought i won't need 'em because i walked alongside the atlantic for most of the day, i.e. all flat terrain) -- yet in the late afternoon, hands/fingers looked 'swollen' and didn't feel too good/comfy - seems like the arm movements/poles usage would prevent those effects. And indeed - Next day I used them again, and all was well ...
It's beautiful landscape you will walk through -- take as much time as you like/can/prefer :)
hope you give yourself time... no rushing...or mega-miles days.
BTW: In Coimbra i really enjoyed staying at the albergue at the mosteiro in Santa Clara (one reaches Santa Clara first, it's across the river from Coimbra)-
8 Euros. well equipped kitchen to use. very new albergue, opened only in March... and how often one does get to sleep under the same roof as the country's patron saint?
enjoy your caminho....!!

I do not have any personal experience with the Portuguese Camino. So I can not provide an accurate information. But I know that
the distance is roughly 1/3 of the French Camino, 270kms. The terrain is also flat with minimal higher levels.
If you walk 20 Kms per day, which is a very easy pace, you probably will take 14 days. If you walk 25-27 Kms per day it will take only 10-11 days. Don't forget your walking sticks and
Applying Vaseline on your feet, wear a thin diabetic stocks(without lining), and a smart wool stocks over, to prevent blisters. Whenever you feel a burning sensation on your feet apply alcohol (bought at any pharmacy), and rub the area.
Bom Caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Amorfait1
I am someone sold on walking sticks!! If you asked me what is the most important item I would tell you:
The walking sticks!!!!!
Now there is a difference....you are probably using the one you grip with your five fingers.....I can not use this one because of the same problem you have.....My walking stick has a ball I can grab with the palm of my hand.....and I normally wear a very thin cotton glove.... This time I am going to experiment with a synthetic
material that allow your hands to breath ...
Bom Caminho

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Amorfait1
I am someone sold on walking sticks!! If you asked me what is the most important item I would tell you:
The walking sticks!!!!!
Now there is a difference....you are probably using the one you grip with your five fingers.....I can not use this one because of the same problem you have.....My walking stick has a ball I can grab with the palm of my hand.....and I normally wear a very thin cotton glove.... This time I am going to experiment with a synthetic
material that allow your hands to breath ...
Bom Caminho
ola Alf - I used the ones called 'Wanderfreund' (walker's friend/ hiking friend) - and the ones I've chosen are shaped a bit like a 'cane'. here's a sample view:
http://uk.leki.com/trekking/hiking/wanderfreund
was quite happy with them indeed.
btw: don't know if you intend to walk the Portuguese soon ... might be helpful to realize that only the first part is more 'flat' than hilly (the Ribatejo area) - but there are quite a number of hilly areas. Famously to incline from Ponte de Lima (sealevel) up to over 400 meters (alto Portela Grande).... but also before those stages .... the further one walk north, the more hills one encounters....not to be underestimated :)

My walking stick is from the manufacturer of yours....I think if you wear a thin cotton glove you will not have the sweating and swollen hands!!! I have asked myself why not
explore different Caminos.....so far
I have done the AragonesX2 and FrenchX2....maybe I should look at the Portuguese .......

i'd whole-heartedly and enthusiastically would encourage you to have a serious :) look at the caminho portoguese .... have fun exploring and preparing ! saluti!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the Portuguese route from Lisbon in May this year. I took 15 days to walk from Coimbra to Santiago, including some fairly long days. Coimbra is a lovely city. I use pacer poles which are very comfortable. Take a look at the stages I walked on my blog, which includes details of accommodation - camino Portuguese

I do not have any personal experience with the Portuguese Camino. So I can not provide an accurate information. But I know that
the distance is roughly 1/3 of the French Camino, 270kms. The terrain is also flat with minimal higher levels.
If you walk 20 Kms per day, which is a very easy pace, you probably will take 14 days. If you walk 25-27 Kms per day it will take only 10-11 days. Don't forget your walking sticks and
Applying Vaseline on your feet, wear a thin diabetic stocks(without lining), and a smart wool stocks over, to prevent blisters. Whenever you feel a burning sensation on your feet apply alcohol (bought at any pharmacy), and rub the area.
Bom Caminho
Alf,
What route are you taking it is 370 km from Coimbra to Santiago? At 20km you will still be 100km from Santiago you need at least 18 days at 20km pace.
Coimbra to Mealhada 23km, Mealhada to Agueda 26km, to Albergaria a Velha 17km, to Sao Joao da maderia 29km, to Seixezelo 16km, to Porto 19km,
to Vila do Conde 23km, to Arcos 11km, to Barcelos 20km, to Ponte Lima 33km, to Rubias 18km, to Tui 20km, to O Porrino 16km, to To Arcade 22km, to Ponteverda 11km , to Caldas de Reis 24 km, to Padron 18km and to SDC 24km.

I Wouldn't dream about walking the caminho or any long distance hike/walk/pilgrimage without my (LEKI) poles. Did once a day walk without using poles (thought i won't need 'em because i walked alongside the atlantic for most of the day, i.e. all flat terrain) -- yet in the late afternoon, hands/fingers looked 'swollen' and didn't feel too good/comfy - seems like the arm movements/poles usage would prevent those effects. And indeed - Next day I used them again, and all was well ...
It's beautiful landscape you will walk through -- take as much time as you like/can/prefer :)
hope you give yourself time... no rushing...or mega-miles days.
BTW: In Coimbra i really enjoyed staying at the albergue at the mosteiro in Santa Clara (one reaches Santa Clara first, it's across the river from Coimbra)-
8 Euros. well equipped kitchen to use. very new albergue, opened only in March... and how often one does get to sleep under the same roof as the country's patron saint?
enjoy your caminho....!!
Thank you very much! And another question, what kind of transportation do you think is better to return to Lisbon? Train or bus?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
ola Marco -
I took the train out of Santiago (a 10-15min walk from the Seminario Menor) @ 6:00 in the morning - to Porto - (stayed another night there in a hostel near Sao Bento station, just because i could and i liked porto :)
and from Porto there is a speedy train to Lisbon. less than 3hours.

http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgnextoid=87cbd5abe2a74010VgnVCM1000007b01a8c0RCRD

Service From To Journey Time Price
pix.gif

AP N#180 Porto - Campanha 05:47 Lisboa - Entrecampos 08:30 02:43 €30,30
icon_star.gif
€ 18,50
pix.gif

AP N#186 Porto - Campanha 15:47 Lisboa - Entrecampos 18:30 02:43 €30,30
icon_star.gif
€ 18,50
the special rate tix (yellow star) can't be refunded ... good rate, swift service.
what i really enjoyed was that i 'discovered' that the train often went along the route i've walked just weeks earlier. Recognized lots of yellow arrows from my train window and even saw pilgrims walking towards SdC while I was on my way south.
was fun...

but each person has different preferences --- but above is mine.
Bom Caminho -

marcodaprado,
I'm a walking stick person - a "staff" if you will - and wouldn't trade it for anything. That said, in almost everything on your Camino / Caminho it is "personal preference". I feel comfortable with the stick. Mine is Black Locust (available in Kentucky - USA) and about 60 inches (150 centemeters +). Mine has protected me from several animals to include a rambunctious old milk cow on a narrow street in Galatia!:D

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back