• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days for Ponferrada to Santiago?

rebecca ward

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hi everyone :)

I am doing my first Camino this summer. I don't have anything booked yet but I'm hoping to go from either Ponferrada or O Cebreiro to Santiago. Does anyone know how many days I should allow to get from Ponferrada to Santiago? Also if I go from O Cebreiro, does that go through the mountains? And last question, what is the best airport to fly into? Madrid is the cheapest but I know its quite far away. I would be very grateful of any information. Thank you so much. :)

Rebecca

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Rebecca from Ponferrada you are looking at about 200km, so 10 days of walking would be a good estimate. If starting in O'Cebreiro you save 2 days and a long climb which is near the top of the mountains. Madrid would be my choice of airports to fly into plenty of choices of trains and bus schedules.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I am doing my first Camino this summer. I don't have anything booked yet but I'm hoping to go from either Ponferrada or O Cebreiro to Santiago. Does anyone know how many days I should allow to get from Ponferrada to Santiago? Also if I go from O Cebreiro, does that go through the mountains? And last question, what is the best airport to fly into? Madrid is the cheapest but I know its quite far away. I would be very grateful of any information. Thank you so much. :)

Rebecca
madrid is your best option.

then perhaps an ALSA bus from madrid to ponferrada +5 hours, or piedrafita do cebreiro (taxi or walk up the ill to o cebreiro) to start walking. there are trains to ponferrada but less frequent than buses (none to piedrafita)

some pilgrims do ponferrada to o cebreiro in three stages because of the difficult and long ascent. typically ponferrada to villafranca, then villafranca to o cebreiro (or stopping somewhere before o cebreiro, then perhaps not spending in the night in o cebreiro but continuing downhill to triacastela the next day).

from cebreiro, it's a classic 7-8 days to santiago

Buen Camino

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum. My husband and I walked from Ponferrada to Santiago in 9 days. We are in our 50s and of average fitness.

We flew into Madrid and travelled to Ponferrada by train from Chamartin station. It was all very simple. You can also take a bus (www.alsa.es) from Madrid airport to Ponferrada, so it's worth checking that out too.

Buen Camino!

Rebecca
Rebecca....what are your travel dates. I'm flying into Madrid but i start my Walk in Ponferrada on 6/3.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back