Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days from Oviedo to Santiago?

pattimlin

First-time Pelegrino from Dublin
Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, 7-20 September. 2014
I know it is best not to rush the camino, but I have a limited time off work and I want to do the Primitivo. Can I walk from Oviedo to Santiago in 11 days? I have reasonably good fitness. I will be starting the walk on 8th September. Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well i did it in 8 days after 3 days on San Salvador so it all depends on how long days you want and how fit you are. I would say that 11 is enough time.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well i did it in 8 days after 3 days on San Salvador so it all depends on how long days you want and how fit you are. I would say that 11 is enough time.

Thanks Beatrice. That was all the way to Santiago, right? (Many just give the walking time to Melide and the junction with the French route)

Thanks Beatrice. That was all the way to Santiago, right? (Many just give the walking time to Melide and the junction with the French route)
Yes I walked all the way to Santiago. I have a thread in the Primitivo forum with my stages.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are planning 15 and I put together a " guide" which I shared in the resources section. I actually thing the eroski site has the most up to date info on the primitive.

We are planning 15 and I put together a " guide" which I shared in the resources section. I actually thing the eroski site has the most up to date info on the primitive.

Just saw your guide, Liz, well done - very impressive. I've only got 13 days to spare, I'm afraid, otherwise I'd follow a similar timetable

It is pushing it, 12 - 13 is more realistic. If you need to skip a bit then do it before Lugo so that you do walk the last 100kms. There are 3 buses daily between Fonsagrada and Lugo which can also be picked up in some of the villages the Camino passes through. That could save 2 days walking.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm not a fast walker and did it recently in 13 but I felt if I had been more pushed for time I could have done it quite easily in 11. The hardish bits in the middle I took steady, but the 1st 60km to La Espina I did over 3 days but could have done it in 2 and the last 101km from Lugo I did over 4 but was thinking of doing it in 3 at one point, but decided to stick with the group I was with.

Hi Pat
You can see there's a pretty wide range here. Beatrice is our superwalker and probably pretty close to being in a class by herself on the Camimo. I'm glad she's here to fill that end of the spectrum because too often we think that the distances we walk are the "right" distances.

I have walked the Primitivo twice, most recently at age 63 and found 12 days perfectly comfortable. I walked several years earlier in 11 days and could have done that again but I wanted to change things up a bit. Terms like "reasonably fit" are hard to pin down, so I think the only way to know if you can do it is to try it.

If you hike, you may get a lot of good info by looking at the elevation profile maps on mundicamino. But what you propose is well within the reasonable range IMO, so I say go for it !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Beatrice - looking to go from Oviedo to Santiago in no more than 12 days, you have so much Camino experience and for what I can read you have done that trajectory in less than 12 days through the Primitivo route. I tried to look at your forums but you have so many and I really don't understand how it all works, can you please share the exact places and if possible distances day by day from Oviedo to Santiago? your help would be extremely appreciated, thank you!

It needs to be 11, so thank you for that reassurance!

Next year I am taking a month off!

Pat
Hi Pat, after replying to Beatrice, I see that you just did el Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago, how was it? can you please share your exact day by day places you stopped and distances? this would really help me plan my trip I am doing next Spring - thank you in advance for your kindness - Juan

Hi Beatrice - looking to go from Oviedo to Santiago in no more than 12 days, you have so much Camino experience and for what I can read you have done that trajectory in less than 12 days through the Primitivo route. I tried to look at your forums but you have so many and I really don't understand how it all works, can you please share the exact places and if possible distances day by day from Oviedo to Santiago? your help would be extremely appreciated, thank you!
Hi, Juan,
Welcome to the forum! I know that it can be a bit overwhelming because there is so much information here, but it is all sorted and logical, so to get you started, I would suggest scrolling through the more recent Primitivo threads. Here is the subforum for all messages about the Primitivo: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/the-camino-primitivo.34/

You will find lots and lots of examples for stages and distances. You should also look at GRonze.com. It has lots of information about stages, elevation, places to stay, etc. I also think that it is the website with the most up to date accommodation information, and also the most complete. It lists both albergues and private alternatives.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-primitivo

Buen camino, And know that there are lots of Primitivo veterans here happy to help with specific questions. (And just FYI, Beatrice is in the category of what I would call super-walker. She routinely does 40-50 km a day. Most of us can't do that, but her stages would be good for you to look at if you are in that category.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Pat, after replying to Beatrice, I see that you just did el Camino Primitivo from Oviedo to Santiago, how was it? can you please share your exact day by day places you stopped and distances? this would really help me plan my trip I am doing next Spring - thank you in advance for your kindness - Juan
Hi, My husband and I did the Primitivo this past May in 14 days. You can see where we stopped and get an idea from my blog.
musingsfromthelastfrontier.com Just click on the Camino de Santiago category and all of my posts will show on one page. We would not have been able to do it in less than 14 days due to my plantar fasciitis . We want to go back and do it in 17 or 18 days so that we spend more time in some of the villages (maybe have more than just one rest day. We did ours in Lugo but there were a couple of other places that I would have wanted to spend an extra day) and not have to walk 25-30km on any day. We went over the Hospitales route.

I saw young 20 somethings speed walking the Primitivo and covering 30 or Km per day. I'm sure what they actually saw or experienced at that pace, though. They certainly didn't have time to stop and talk to us or any locals :)

My stages are here for Primitivo (did San Salvador in 3 days to get to Oviedo first) https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-camino-primitivo-8-days.28549/ but as some has pointed out I’m a endurance walker long and fast. My stages will not fit if you are looking into 12 days. Unless you want 3-4 resting days :)

My stages are here for Primitivo (did San Salvador in 3 days to get to Oviedo first) https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-on-the-camino-primitivo-8-days.28549/ but as some has pointed out I’m a endurance walker long and fast. My stages will not fit if you are looking into 12 days. Unless you want 3-4 resting days :)
Well I'm planning 16 days for the primitivo, after 7 days on El Salvador 😂 I was worried that I wouldn't make it on time but, you give me a lot of hope that I will definitely make it in those days hahaha

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took 6 days on the Salvador and 14 on the Primitivo (Oviedo to Santiago). I could probably have done the latter in 13 without noticeably more difficulty. Make sure to read Ender's Guide to the Salvador and pay attention to where he says you need to call ahead to reserve a meal. And I would certainly recommend staying in Bendueños on the Salvador.

I know it is best not to rush the camino, but I have a limited time off work and I want to do the Primitivo. Can I walk from Oviedo to Santiago in 11 days? I have reasonably good fitness. I will be starting the walk on 8th September. Thanks!
Yes - I walked it in 8 days in Oct 2019 when I was 65. But I had walked most of the Olvidado and the Salvador beforehand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back