• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days (Including rest days) do I need to do the Camino Frances to Finisterre

Jme

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on walking the Camino.
As I am booking flights and wondering how many days I should give myself from my arrival date to my return? Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How far do you plan to walk each day? Where do you intend to start? Are you planning to have rest and reserve days?

How far do you plan to walk each day? Where do you intend to start? Are you planning to have rest and reserve days?
Planning on walking 20 - 25 kms per day, starting in St Jean, and planning 3 to 4 rest days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also remember to add to your calculations the appropriate travel time from wherever you are flying in to SJPP and from Santiago to wherever you are flying out.

This can add a day or three, depending on the specifics of your itinerary.

Peace,

-Jason

I didn't want to have to plan ahead too much, so I was lucky to have the time, and gave myself two months in Spain. Even at a leisurely pace (average 20 KM a day with several rest days), it was way more than enough and I walked on from Finisterre to Muxia, too. Highly recommended. Then I spent a few days exploring Madrid before flying home. I was glad I did that, because I constantly met people along the way who felt rushed, having to catch a return flight. You can't predict illness, injuries/blisters, or even fun opportunities along the way, so if you have the time, do it! That being said, a month and three weeks would be more than enough for most people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I didn't want to have to plan ahead too much, so I was lucky to have the time, and gave myself two months in Spain. Even at a leisurely pace (average 20 KM a day with several rest days), it was way more than enough and I walked on from Finisterre to Muxia, too. Highly recommended. Then I spent a few days exploring Madrid before flying home. I was glad I did that, because I constantly met people along the way who felt rushed, having to catch a return flight. You can't predict illness, injuries/blisters, or even fun opportunities along the way, so if you have the time, do it! That being said, a month and three weeks would be more than enough for most people.
I'll be in Spain 7 weeks, which I think gives me enough cushion time. My birthday is on day 36 of my Camino, and I hope to celebrate it in either Santiago or Finisterre. But anywhere on the way will be fine with me. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
As Doug says, the rest is arithmetic. My watch measured 865km from SJPdP to Finisterre, so you'd be looking at 38-47 days on that basis. I walked it in 35 last September/October, with one rest day (in Santiago). I'd planned for more, but in the end my body didn't ask for them, and I preferred to keep walking with the people I'd met instead.

As I am booking flights and wondering how many days I should give myself from my arrival date to my return? Thank you!
When I am wright it is about 850 / 900 km. when you begin in SJPDP .
That's between 36 and 45 day's.
Wish you well, Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thats arithmetics based on:

1) how far can you walk per day, on a daily basis ( this only experience can tell you as you might be able to walk 40kms without facing any problems on a specific weekend but if you do it daily, the outcomes might be different);

2) Number of resting days you might need ( that varies from time to time);

Excluding travel timings, the above might give you an estimate for the overall number of days needed.

That really varies from person to person.

Last time I was on the CF, I walked from SJPP to Finisterra and then Muxia in a total of 32 days including one short day walk (17kms if Im not wrong) and one full resting day. Other than that it was pretty comfortable for me.

Again, this is a very subjective topic. In order for you to plan you should estimate how does your body ( and mind!) really cope with this sort of activities on a daily basis. Apart from that you have to add your intention to stop overs for touristic reasons, so on so forth.

THis is a very happy and important part of your camino: The planning the anticipation the expectations, etc. Enjoy it but don't overkill it! Try to estimate the days you'll need thinking of an avarage listed on the gruidebooks avaiable online. All of them divide the CF in stages from SJPP to Santiago, and then add another 4 days to Finisterra and you'll have a good starting point, at least for flight reservations...

Buen Camino and Happy Planning!!

If you can, why not work out how many days it will take you (walking and rest days). Then add 2 or 3 days to be on the safe side. If you had days left over near the end spend an extra night in Finisterre or go to Muxia. Or have another day in the town you intend to go home from.

I allowed seven weeks (including starting 2 days north of SJPdP) to reach Santiago, and wished I had had a few more days. The day-after-day effect of walking, coupled with poor sleep, really takes a toll on your body. There were days I wanted to stop, and I couldn't. I could have taken a bus, but chose not to.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back