• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days Irun to Santander?

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hello lovely people. Me posting a question here means.. YES I'M FINALLY PLANNING ANOTHER CAMINO 😂
God its been so long. This will be my 3rd(amazing to say that after the nerves of my planning first going solo to Portugal) and I'm planning to walk alone in mid September. As I'm starting a new job think I can only do 2 weeks so planning Irun to Santander, flying into Biarritz. Is this feasible?

Also wondering are there many on the route as I don't want to walk the whole thing alone. Any help would be great you have always been so helpful and knowledgeable ❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Wandalina

If you are able to fly to San Sebastián / Donostia airport, it will be quick and easy to get to Irun. SS airport is not in SS. It’s just a couple of kms from Irun - and an easy walk, bus or taxi ride.

If flight to Biarritz already booked, you can take a train from Biarritz to Hendaye and the. euskotren from Hendaye to Irun.

Have a look at Gronze for possible stages. 14 days or even a few less should be fine, depending of course on how far you like to walk each day.
😎

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello @Wandalina !

As you probably know every pilgrim has a different pace. Just to be sure I checked my old Credential and I have walked Irun to Santander in 10 walking days (I was also very tight on time), however I would not recommend it, in hindsight I walked too fast, hence this summer as I will go back to the Norte I plan to walk wayy slower.

Keep in mind that to these 10 walking days you need to add in the days needed to reach Irun and catch your flight back home.
So as an estimate guess I would say that if you have a good pace and walk between 25 and 30km a day without any rest days...you will manage to walk the stretch from Irun to Santander in two weeks. Keep in mind that you can also slow down and walk Irun to Bilbao instead, that I think would be better for your mind and body, but it is up to you :)

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Wandalina

If you are able to fly to San Sebastián / Donostia airport, it will be quick and easy to get to Irun. SS airport is not in SS. It’s just a couple of kms from Irun - and an easy walk, bus or taxi ride.

If flight to Biarritz already booked, you can take a train from Biarritz to Hendaye and the. euskotren from Hendaye to Irun.

Have a look at Gronze for possible stages. 14 days or even a few less should be fine, depending of course on how far you like to walk each day.
😎
Thanks a million. Coming from Dublin so don't think I can get direct flights but will look into it thanks for the tip 😊Would definitely save me some time.

I always intend not going mental doing big long stages and then I meet a good bunch of people and that plan goes out the window 😂🙈

Hello @Wandalina !

As you probably know every pilgrim has a different pace. Just to be sure I checked my old Credential and I have walked Irun to Santander in 10 walking days (I was also very tight on time), however I would not recommend it, in hindsight I walked too fast, hence this summer as I will go back to the Norte I plan to walk wayy slower.

Keep in mind that to these 10 walking days you need to add in the days needed to reach Irun and catch your flight back home.
So as an estimate guess I would say that if you have a good pace and walk between 25 and 30km a day without any rest days...you will manage to walk the stretch from Irun to Santander in two weeks. Keep in mind that you can also slow down and walk Irun to Bilbao instead, that I think would be better for your mind and body, but it is up to you :)

Buen Camino!
Thanks Jamat yes you are right better to have time for a bit of chill and not keep schedule too tight. I'll probably be having a few dips in the ocean along the way and definitely some cerveza stops 😂

Yes, much better to take a direct flight. If you have to fly to Biarritz, thé train combo from Biarritz Hendaye Irun is easy.

Train from Biarritz to Hendaye is about 30 mins. Then the euskotren station in Hendaye is just near the train station, with frequent trains to Irun, just a few minutes away.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, much better to take a direct flight. If you have to fly to Biarritz, thé train combo from Biarritz Hendaye Irun is easy.

Train from Biarritz to Hendaye is about 30 mins. Then the euskotren station in Hendaye is just near the train station, with frequent trains to Irun, just a few minutes away.
Looks I can fly aer lingus to bilbao. That might work better 🙏

Bilbao is considerably further away. . But if that’s the only direct flight … you may find a bus from Bilbao to Irun is quicker than the train. All the best with your planning.

I like to use the Correos Paq Mochilla as a ready reckoner. If you use them to transfer your rucksack from Irun to Santander they calculate 12 stages. You might want to combine stages but it is a good estimate.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello lovely people. Me posting a question here means.. YES I'M FINALLY PLANNING ANOTHER CAMINO 😂
God its been so long. This will be my 3rd(amazing to say that after the nerves of my planning first going solo to Portugal) and I'm planning to walk alone in mid September. As I'm starting a new job think I can only do 2 weeks so planning Irun to Santander, flying into Biarritz. Is this feasible?

Also wondering are there many on the route as I don't want to walk the whole thing alone. Any help would be great you have always been so helpful and knowledgeable ❤️

I walked this part last september. I had 14 days and walked in 11 days with one extra day in Santander. I travelled bij train to Hendaya and walked acros the border to Irun in 20 minuts. I took the bus from Santander back to Irun.

It was beautiful. Look into the alternative routes on the coast. Realy worth it.

There were enough other pilgrims for company and enough possibilitys to walk alone.

I had a wonderful time. Buen Camimo

Hello. If you have two weeks and fly to Biarritz you can always do a couple of days in France before arriving in Irun. Check out Gronze on Del Norte. I've completed Irun to Santander in 2018 in 12 days but that included two ridiculously short days so you will have plenty of time. I sincerely suggest staying in the municipal in Irun. Quite the experience and you will meet many of your fellow pilgrims for your two weeks on the Way. Enjoy thoroughly. Yes it's quite addictive. I just finished the Portuguese and have flughts booked to Madrid for August to walk the San Salvador. I believe your Irish so you'll have no problem meeting people if you "have the gift of the gab" like myself. Up the Banner! Daniel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello. If you have two weeks and fly to Biarritz you can always do a couple of days in France before arriving in Irun. Check out Gronze on Del Norte. I've completed Irun to Santander in 2018 in 12 days but that included two ridiculously short days so you will have plenty of time. I sincerely suggest staying in the municipal in Irun. Quite the experience and you will meet many of your fellow pilgrims for your two weeks on the Way. Enjoy thoroughly. Yes it's quite addictive. I just finished the Portuguese and have flughts booked to Madrid for August to walk the San Salvador. I believe your Irish so you'll have no problem meeting people if you "have the gift of the gab" like myself. Up the Banner! Daniel
Thanks Daniel for all the tips. Think Biarritz is the best option. I don't fancy shelling out over 200 one way and have to get connecting flights. Will definitely look into staying in Irun the night before.

The Portuguese is beautiful that was my first, such varied landscapes, walking through vineyards and little villages. A wonderful way to travel. San Salvador sounds epic. Don't know if I'd attempt it alone but maybe one day 😊 Have a great time 😊

I walked this part last september. I had 14 days and walked in 11 days with one extra day in Santander. I travelled bij train to Hendaya and walked acros the border to Irun in 20 minuts. I took the bus from Santander back to Irun.

It was beautiful. Look into the alternative routes on the coast. Realy worth it.

There were enough other pilgrims for company and enough possibilitys to walk alone.

I had a wonderful time. Buen Camimo
Thanks Flory will definitely look into alternative routes along the coast I want to hug the coast as much as possible although I may live to regret that 😂❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bilbao is considerably further away. . But if that’s the only direct flight … you may find a bus from Bilbao to Irun is quicker than the train. All the best with your planning.
Yes, bus from Bilbao to Irun is way to go.

Cafe in Irun bus / train station will give you, your first stamp on credential.

Enjoy and BCamino

I'm doing Irun-Santander in 13 days, and I've cut up some legs into two. For example I'm doing Irun-Pasaia, Pasaia-San Sebastian. I think 11-12 seems normal/realistic.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back