• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days to walk the Via de la Plata?

Stripey Socks

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello Fellow Pilgrims
I have changed my plan of attack and am now keen to walk the Via de la Plata - starting around 4 September. I realise that will probably still be a bit hot then but maybe a little warmer and drier when I hit Santiago d C????

Yes, the eternal optimist.

I am thinking to allow 37 days to walk plus 3 rest days (Merida, Salamanca and Ourense). This will average around 26km per day with a handful of +30km days in there.

Am I being realistic or overly ambitious?? Last year doing the Camino Frances we averaged 25km a day - the longest day was 37.8km to be precise!

Would appreciate your collective wisdom and also like to hear from anyone else who may be on the track around that time...
All the best
Mel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Fellow Pilgrims
I have changed my plan of attack and am now keen to walk the Via de la Plata - starting around 4 September. I realise that will probably still be a bit hot then but maybe a little warmer and drier when I hit Santiago d C????

I am thinking to allow 37 days to walk plus 3 rest days (Merida, Salamanca and Ourense). This will average around 26km per day with a handful of +30km days in there.

Am I being realistic or overly ambitious?? Last year doing the Camino Frances we averaged 25km a day - the longest day was 37.8km to be precise!

Would appreciate your collective wisdom and also like to hear from anyone else who may be on the track around that time...
All the best
Mel

Sounds reasonable. I walked it in 38 days plus one rest day in September-October, 2011. Temperature on September 12, the day I left Seville, was +40C. Arriving in SdC around October 20 it was drizzly rain and cool.
Larry

Sounds reasonable. I walked it in 38 days plus one rest day in September-October, 2011. Temperature on September 12, the day I left Seville, was +40C. Arriving in SdC around October 20 it was drizzly rain and cool.
Larry

Thanks Larry. Maybe I should include an extra buffer day in there in case I what to reduce the +30km days. I guess it depends on availability of accommodation at the end of each day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In 2012 April/May I took 44 days to walk from Seville walking via Astorga and the Camino Frances. My longest walking day was to Zamora on day 28 that was 33kms and nearly killed me (It was very hot)
Two rest days included one in Salamanca and the other in Zamora.(3 new blisters)
Last year it took me 17 days to walk the Sanabres (wish I had done it with my VDLP) so that would be 45 days.
Heather

In 2012 April/May I took 44 days to walk from Seville walking via Astorga and the Camino Frances. My longest walking day was to Zamora on day 28 that was 33kms and nearly killed me (It was very hot)
Two rest days included one in Salamanca and the other in Zamora.(3 new blisters)
Last year it took me 17 days to walk the Sanabres (wish I had done it with my VDLP) so that would be 45 days.
Heather

Thanks Heather. Yes, I must admit that the heat is a worry. We should be used to it in Australia shouldn't we??? But exercising in it is a completely different matter. When walking the Camino frances last year we would start walking at 530am most days - lovely and cool but I can't help but wonder about all the beautiful things that we may have missed in the dark.

In 2010 i start to walk from Sevilla october 9th, pass by Ourense and arrive in Santiago november 18th. 39 days of walking plus 3 rest days along the way. The weather was agreable. I mean not too hot and got only 4 or 5 rainy days. Some cold ice rain coming in Galicia but otherwise really nice weather to walk. I don't know if you have made up your mind but my suggestion would be to pass by Ourense. Really nice albergues, friendly reception, no crowd, two places with therme, great food.
JPierre

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In 2010 i start to walk from Sevilla october 9th, pass by Ourense and arrive in Santiago november 18th. 39 days of walking plus 3 rest days along the way. The weather was agreable. I mean not too hot and got only 4 or 5 rainy days. Some cold ice rain coming in Galicia but otherwise really nice weather to walk. I don't know if you have made up your mind but my suggestion would be to pass by Ourense. Really nice albergues, friendly reception, no crowd, two places with therme, great food.
JPierre

Hi JPierre When you say to 'pass by Ourense', do you mean to stay in Ourense on the Sanabres way or continue to walk northwards join the Camino Frances at Astorga instead?
Thanks Mel

Hello Fellow Pilgrims

All the best
Mel

Hi Mel,
Interesting coincidence. I also walked camino Frances last year in 30 days ansd I plan to walk VdlP this year, starting in September 1. I am hoping to average 25 km/day. I am looking for some good guide books. So far I have only found a german book.
Regards
Tom

Last edited:
There is a Spanish guide book: La Via de la Plata a Pie y en Bicicleta. It covers the route from Seville to Astorga. It does not cover the route through Ourense. I used it in 2011, and although my knowledge of Spanish limited at best I found it very useful. It is available from www.amazon.es. Alison Raju's Via de la Plata is in English and describes both the Astorga and Ourense options.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mel,
Interesting coincidence. I also walked camino Frances last year in 30 days ansd I plan to walk VdlP this year, starting in September 1. I am hoping to average 25 km/day. I am looking for some good guide books. So far I have only found a german book.
Regards
Tom

Hi Tom
I have ordered the latest version of the Alison Raju book - it was supposed to be published/released last week but I am yet to get my hands on a copy. Fingers crossed it will be the most up-to-date with accommodation options etc. I have also used the godesalco.com planning component to map out the stages of the walk. Not sure if you have seen this site but it seems to be pretty current - about mid last year from memory.

Look forward to maybe meeting you on the way.
Mel

There is a Spanish guide book: La Via de la Plata a Pie y en Bicicleta. It covers the route from Seville to Astorga. It does not cover the route through Ourense. I used it in 2011, and although my knowledge of Spanish limited at best I found it very useful. It is available from www.amazon.es. Alison Raju's Via de la Plata is in English and describes both the Astorga and Ourense options.

Thanks Larry. I understand the Raju book is not as detailed as the Brierly ones but now I have one Camino under my belt I feel a bit more confident about setting out for a stroll..

Hello Fellow Pilgrims

All the best
Mel

Hi Mel

In 2011 I started in Seville and walked to Compostela via Ourense [1000 km ] in 40 walking days i.e. an average of 25 km per day. I left Seville on April 2nd and it was a great experience walking north at about the same rate as Spring went north - I was in fields of flowers for several weeks! I timed my walk so that one of my rest days would be Easter Friday in Salamanca, where they have amazing processions through the streets as they carry the floats through the town and down to the cathedral. So glad I stopped there.I finished my camino by walking on to Muxia, and it was my best camino yet!

Buen Camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi JPierre When you say to 'pass by Ourense', do you mean to stay in Ourense on the Sanabres way or continue to walk northwards join the Camino Frances at Astorga instead?
Thanks Mel
I meant to take the Sanabres way to Santiago. Just reread your original post where you wrote you want to go by Ourense. Great choice!
Jean-Pierre

Hi Mel

In 2011 I started in Seville and walked to Compostela via Ourense [1000 km ] in 40 walking days i.e. an average of 25 km per day. I left Seville on April 2nd and it was a great experience walking north at about the same rate as Spring went north - I was in fields of flowers for several weeks! I timed my walk so that one of my rest days would be Easter Friday in Salamanca, where they have amazing processions through the streets as they carry the floats through the town and down to the cathedral. So glad I stopped there.I finished my camino by walking on to Muxia, and it was my best camino yet!

Buen Camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.
I'm an oldie of 66. Sevilla to Santiago was 39 walking days, plus one rest day in Salamanca. It was my best Camino, too. Just wonderful. However, even 18th September and for the week following temperatures rose to 40C, so walking after midday was almost impossible. Galicia, by the time I got there, was under constant deluge, and all the paths were torrents. Buen Camino!

It is doable. I used 42 days in total, but I prefer 20-25 kms/day. On the VdlP there are a few streches +30 km that must be taken. Your choice of rest day stays are very good choices. Going the Sanabres way is 1005 kms if my memory serves me right...?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your plan sounds good and definitely doable. Make sure to save some time to explore a little in Puebla de Sanabria (great castle and a few other spots) and Zamora (wonderful Semana Santa museum, plus loads of beautiful churches). And you must take the little tourist train in Ourense to the free thermal baths. Fall on the VDLP is a really wonderful time.

Oh -- do pack some bug spray. I'm not sure if you'll need it, but when I walked Salamanca>Santiago one September/October, these tiny bugs they call mosquitoes (but they don't bite) were everyone in certain spots, and it was awful. They'd get in your ears, eyes, mouth, etc., they covered my entire body, my camera lens when I tried to take photos, etc.

Melanie

Where can I find the Alison Raju book?
Tom

The copy I have is pretty old -- published by Cicerone Press in 2005. I checked their website (www.cicerone.co.uk) and they don't list it. I've heard that there is a new addition in the works. The amazon.ca website lists a 2014 edition followed by the comment "we don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." If you check with Cicerone they can tell you "when or if" you can get one. Frankly, I'm not too impressed with the copy I have. It's difficult to follow and the maps are not as good as the German edition.
Larry

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Jean-Pierre. I think the Sanabres route will be the way to go and avoid all the crowds from Astorga onwards.
I'm an oldie of 66. Sevilla to Santiago was 39 walking days, plus one rest day in Salamanca. It was my best Camino, too. Just wonderful. However, even 18th September and for the week following temperatures rose to 40C, so walking after midday was almost impossible. Galicia, by the time I got there, was under constant deluge, and all the paths were torrents. Buen Camino!

Sir John Harrington, you look like you could walk us all into the ground! I am considerably younger than that but am planning more rest days. What does that say about me?? Thanks for the feedback on days and temperatures. The more I read, the more I think I need to push my start date back a bit....

Thanks AlexWalker. I love the way that the Camino distances are 'fluid'. Some books/websites say 980km, others 1000kms. I guess it depends on how many detours you take - whether planned or accidental!
Your plan sounds good and definitely doable. Make sure to save some time to explore a little in Puebla de Sanabria (great castle and a few other spots) and Zamora (wonderful Semana Santa museum, plus loads of beautiful churches). And you must take the little tourist train in Ourense to the free thermal baths. Fall on the VDLP is a really wonderful time.

Oh -- do pack some bug spray. I'm not sure if you'll need it, but when I walked Salamanca>Santiago one September/October, these tiny bugs they call mosquitoes (but they don't bite) were everyone in certain spots, and it was awful. They'd get in your ears, eyes, mouth, etc., they covered my entire body, my camera lens when I tried to take photos, etc.

Melanie

Thanks Melanie. All good information. Yes, will definitely pack some Aeroguard (very famous insect repellent in Australia). We didn't even think to do that last year walking the Camino Frances and couldn't believe the flies! It almost felt like home!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The copy I have is pretty old -- published by Cicerone Press in 2005. I checked their website (www.cicerone.co.uk) and they don't list it. I've heard that there is a new addition in the works. The amazon.ca website lists a 2014 edition followed by the comment "we don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." If you check with Cicerone they can tell you "when or if" you can get one. Frankly, I'm not too impressed with the copy I have. It's difficult to follow and the maps are not as good as the German edition.
Larry

Good feeback Larry. Apparently you can get a good book/maps from the Confraternity in Seville?? I will explore that one some more.

There is some very good information on this website. Open "Via de la Plata alberques, pensions, hostals" and then "Accommodation and walking schedule for the Via de la Plata." There is a pdf file there under "jirit." About ten pages. Up-to-date and looks very useful.

Thanks Larry - I have already downloaded that one plus a schedule from Godesalco.com - maybe I don't need anything else? Those two docs may be enough paperwork to get me through...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used the CSJ guide Seville to Santiago also bought the Confraternity guide from another pilgrim who decided she had too much to carry.( It was great). I also inherited a German guide AND had printed out the Eroski pages . Overkill maybe!!
However the way is so well marked I 'm sure you won't get lost.
Heather

Thanks Larry - I have already downloaded that one plus a schedule from Godesalco.com - maybe I don't need anything else? Those two docs may be enough paperwork to get me through...
I think you're right. It's easy to get bogged down with paperwork and guide books, and in the end -- at least in my experience -- what you do is decide on your destination for the day, start walking, follow the signs and check into the accommodation at the end of the day.

Melanie

These things are horrid. I believe they are gnats and hang (literally) in the air around areas where there is standing water and rotting vegetation. They are attracted to the water and protein in your eyes, nose and mouth. They drove me insane on the vdlp and I almost broke my ankle dancing around swatting them with my hat. A useless endeavor, by the way. Someone has suggested the face netting. I wholeheartedly agree.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lowe Alpine has a hat with drop down netting. When there are not bugs, the net fits neatly inside the hat (and gets a bit sweaty).
net hat.JPG

Where can I find the Alison Raju book?
Tom
Hi Tom, I've also being trying to track this down and I have send an email to Cicerone Press. I'll post the response when/if received. I understand this version has been improved and is lighter than earlier editions, so I'd like to have a look.
Geoff

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used the CSJ guide Seville to Santiago also bought the Confraternity guide from another pilgrim who decided she had too much to carry.( It was great). I also inherited a German guide AND had printed out the Eroski pages . Overkill maybe!!
However the way is so well marked I 'm sure you won't get lost.
Heather

And I thought I was super-organised Heather!! Sounds like you had every angle covered with guides/maps/instructions. I have decided I will try to 'go with the flow' a bit more - something I am not terribly good at - and simply pick up a copy of the guide when I get to Seville. I think with all the resources I can download from this forum and godesalco.com, I should be fine. Bye

Hi Tom, I've also being trying to track this down and I have send an email to Cicerone Press. I'll post the response when/if received. I understand this version has been improved and is lighter than earlier editions, so I'd like to have a look.
Geoff

Hi Geoff - see my post from above. According to bookdepository.com, the new edition is not out now until Jan 2015. I had it on pre-order but have cancelled that now. Bye

Thanks. That's unfortunate...so I guess I'll also look for the guide produced in Seville and download what I can find. Then like yourself - just go with the flow...something I'm working on.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In 2007 I walked from Seville to Santiago in 36 days. I recently walked from Seville to Salamanca in 22 days - but could have done it in 21 days.

The route is very well waymarked indeed with many more options for accommodation than before.

First time I took the Alison Raju guide and also sections of the guide from the Pila Pila Press.

This time carrying less than half of the weight of the first time I simply used the Eroski walking notes (ignoring their suggested stages) and the accommodation spreadsheet from this forum:

Accounts have started to appear here:

http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com.es/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In 2007 I walked from Seville to Santiago in 36 days. I recently walked from Seville to Salamanca in 22 days - but could have done it in 21 days.

The route is very well waymarked indeed with many more options for accommodation than before.

First time I took the Alison Raju guide and also sections of the guide from the Pila Pila Press.

This time carrying less than half of the weight of the first time I simply used the Eroski walking notes (ignoring their suggested stages) and the accommodation spreadsheet from this forum:

Accounts have started to appear here:

http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot.com.es/

Thanks for the wisdom Johnnie Walker. You set a cracking pace by the sound of it...

Hello Fellow Pilgrims

All the best
Mel

Mel

Most pilgrims on the VDLP walk no more than 30KMs a day as unlike the Camino Francaise there are not albergues every couple of KMs and if you struggle to walk 30KMs a day then the VDLP may not be for you. Not only have you to be able to walk 30KMs a day you have to be able to do it in challenging temperatures. I can walk up to 60KMs a day in mild conditions, not so many in hot temperatures. I would recommend that you give some consideration to your clothing, clothing that make for easier walking in the heat eg Frillneck head gear (heavy but cooling in hot conditions). A company called Sandbaggers in Scotland have some of their hats .... but only one colour which I did not like (you may get charged import VAT and other charges if you import from Australia ...... I was). I would also bring a good hydration system eg a platapus type system and use a product such as Nuun or Zero to add some electrolyte to the water. There is drink called Aquarius available in Spain that does a similar job. The terrain is pretty flat for the most part up to Zamora so consider wearing trail shoes eg brooks adrenaline with walking poles as opposed to big boots. When I walked it was during the rainy season so had to walk through lots of seasonal rivers. A pair of Crocks or scandals came in hand. There are not a huge number of cafes along the way so being some food with you, if only to enjoy a picnic in the stunning scenery. If you are lucky, you might get to see the Iberico pig chomping on acorns ...... Bring ear plugs as the pilgrims were of a snoring age and the hostals are smaller than on the Francaise.

If you are taking a day out in Merida it might be worth checking this place out http://www.aqualibera.com/en/enindex.html It is a Spa located a 1/2 or so walk from Merida. I have not been but it looked interesting .... might be worth checking to see if they offer a discount to pilgrims .....

^ that looks great! I think I will stop there, now I wonder if I could squeeze a Roman costume in my pack for the fifty percent discount....

Definitely stop at Aqua Libera! They do offer pilgrim discounts on using their Roman spa, which is quite beautiful. They have a few apartments, too, and sometimes offer Roman dinners. Noemi, the owner, is one of my favorite Spaniards -- just a lovely woman (I've stayed their twice and used the spa both times). Tell her hello from Melanie with the guidebook app!

Hi, Melanie, is this the place in Aljucén? I´ve spent an hour or so relaxing in their baths but no one offered me a massage! When we were there, the place was closed, and hospitalera had the keys. We just paid a few euros and splashed around in the water. Sounds like you´ve had a more spa-like experience.

Definitely stop at Aqua Libera! They do offer pilgrim discounts on using their Roman spa, which is quite beautiful. They have a few apartments, too, and sometimes offer Roman dinners. Noemi, the owner, is one of my favorite Spaniards -- just a lovely woman (I've stayed their twice and used the spa both times). Tell her hello from Melanie with the guidebook app!
Hi,
Toga or not Toogo that is the question but if we get a discount it is the obvious answer. We could almost start a fancy dress thread on the VDLP, it would certainly save a lot of weight in the rucksack. However maybe in wind and rain not such a good idea.
Keith.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mel

Most pilgrims on the VDLP walk no more than 30KMs a day as unlike the Camino Francaise there are not albergues every couple of KMs and if you struggle to walk 30KMs a day then the VDLP may not be for you. Not only have you to be able to walk 30KMs a day you have to be able to do it in challenging temperatures. I can walk up to 60KMs a day in mild conditions, not so many in hot temperatures. I would recommend that you give some consideration to your clothing, clothing that make for easier walking in the heat eg Frillneck head gear (heavy but cooling in hot conditions). A company called Sandbaggers in Scotland have some of their hats .... but only one colour which I did not like (you may get charged import VAT and other charges if you import from Australia ...... I was). I would also bring a good hydration system eg a platapus type system and use a product such as Nuun or Zero to add some electrolyte to the water. There is drink called Aquarius available in Spain that does a similar job. The terrain is pretty flat for the most part up to Zamora so consider wearing trail shoes eg brooks adrenaline with walking poles as opposed to big boots. When I walked it was during the rainy season so had to walk through lots of seasonal rivers. A pair of Crocks or scandals came in hand. There are not a huge number of cafes along the way so being some food with you, if only to enjoy a picnic in the stunning scenery. If you are lucky, you might get to see the Iberico pig chomping on acorns ...... Bring ear plugs as the pilgrims were of a snoring age and the hostals are smaller than on the Francaise.

If you are taking a day out in Merida it might be worth checking this place out http://www.aqualibera.com/en/enindex.html It is a Spa located a 1/2 or so walk from Merida. I have not been but it looked interesting .... might be worth checking to see if they offer a discount to pilgrims .....

Thanks for your comprehensive response CISSA69. I have done my planning via godesalco.com and there will be quite a few days when I will need to do the 30+km. That won't be a picnic, especially when it is hot, but we did quite a few days like that on the Camino Frances last year so I know it is achievable. I had a good hat last year, a 2l Platypus plus waterbottle and used the Zero tablets as you recommend. They were brilliant and I did not get one cramp and recovered well each day.

I think I will review my footwear as I have worn all the tread off my boots and think I may need half a size bigger than I normally wear. My feet/ankles/legs swelled incredibly last year for the first two weeks and suspect that may have been due to the boot size (plus heat, plus my body wondering what the hell I was doing to it!!). Has anyone else had this experience??? I liked the full boot design - ankle support but not too heavy.

I take your points about being self-sufficient with food and ear plugs. Again something that was useful last year. Carrying our own food meant that we could stop wherever we wanted for a rest/snack and of course, the ear plugs are VITAL.

Thanks again, Mel

How much did they charge for the accommodation and the spa?

The spa is in Aljucén, Laurie. The pilgrim price is 5 euros, which gives you 90 minutes in the "spa." It consists of a large pool area, plus small hot and cold plunge pools. If you're not familiar with these, the idea is to alternate between them. The apartment prices are 60 euros for a twin/double and 80 for a three-person room. They come with small kitchens, a table/chair, living room furniture and, of course, a bathroom. If you want breakfast before you leave, it's 5 euros and you'll get things like fruit, toast, pastries and cafe con leche. There's free WiFi there. You can go and use the baths and stay elsewhere. Laurie, I didn't say I got a massage, although Noemi can arrange for someone to be there and provide those services -- anything from a massage in the water to a hand-foot massage to a four-hand massage. The website is www.aqualibera.com.

Melanie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, I can now get properly excited about walking the VdlP! The flight is booked and paid for and all set to stroll out of Seville on 4 September. I know it is going to be hot then but I will just have to make the most of the early morning hours.

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I look forward to meeting on the track one day....Mel

My feet/ankles/legs swelled incredibly last year for the first two weeks and suspect that may have been due to the boot size (plus heat, plus my body wondering what the hell I was doing to it!!). Has anyone else had this experience???

Mel

Hi mel. I never found out why either, but mine started to swell up after about 8 days after leaving sjpdp. Probably in my case 'body revolt!' As I had not had a lot of training prior and that section does give it a good test. I can't say my legs were back to normal until after I returned home.

I too have just paid for flights but still deciding which route to walk. I arrive BCN 30aug14. Great that you're all sorted.
What do you plan to do differently this year to avoid the swelling ?? Annie

Hi mel. I never found out why either, but mine started to swell up after about 8 days after leaving sjpdp. Probably in my case 'body revolt!' As I had not had a lot of training prior and that section does give it a good test. I can't say my legs were back to normal until after I returned home.

I too have just paid for flights but still deciding which route to walk. I arrive BCN 30aug14. Great that you're all sorted.
What do you plan to do differently this year to avoid the swelling ?? Annie

Hi Annie
I am not sure what I can do to avoid the swelling this time. I will do more training (I thought I was pretty fit when we left Australia...until I saw the height of the Pyrenees!!!) and will probably do more training in the middle of the day rather than setting out at 530am in a Mudgee winter! Maybe that will help with acclimatisation. I will continue to play around with different sock configurations and also decide about whether I should get new boots. It is hard to know whether any of that will have any impact rather than, as you say, simply having a 'revolting body'! :)
Bye
Mel

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm keen to find out why and to avoid it next time. Not sure whether it is an inherited disposition or something I did wrong. Was it shin splints? So have been getting training under way earlier and reading the forum for hints. I guess stretching before and after each days walk, drink more fluid, more rests may help plus I will also check out my boots again but I did have them fitted by 'the experts' and they were broken in before I set out.
We are a couple of crocs aren't we?

Hi there

Worth talking to your doctor about what might be behind the swelling. Also talk to some sports trainers eg Ironman Triathlete athletes/trainers as they put their bodies through hell on a regular basis and live to tell the tale.

I think that the lack of salt and other key minerals through effort and sweating might have something to do with it. Again check with professionals to make sure you make a good prognosis before taking on corrective strategies.

So one idea would be to bring some electrolites such as Nuun or Zero tablets as water on its own may not be enough. Another idea would be to wear compression gear at night to help your body recover. Also sleep with your legs elevated above your heart. Also when you finish your day's walking, forget about showering etc until you have eaten some recovery food within 20 mins, lie on the ground with your feet rested up against a wall. This will provide a gentle stretch but also help fluids leave your legs. Do this for 20 or so mins before heading to the showers etc.

Regards

C

Good advice C. I will heed it and talk to sports athlete people and check out taking the electrolyte tablets. I was a bit concerned about flying back with swollen legs and saw a dr on rtn. Apart from sending me for a test and asking me to come back after 2 wks for a few visits I didn't really find out what it was. It was painful. I had the legs up and massaged them when I got off my feet at the end of the walk. I took it easier for some time, sought out and wore the compression bandage and rubbed Voltaren into my legs on the evening. I met someone in Rabe. (Only walked short distance from Burgos that day , had bussed in to Burgos from 2 stops before,). She gave me some stronger painkillers which helped but I hate taking these, I used them sparingly and only for a while. Gradually didn't need painkillers and swelling went down slightly but was still there all the way to Sdc

I think knowing this now, I will be more alert to my body next time and with 6 mths to go ill be prepared one hopes. Thank you for taking the time to give wise advice.

I'm keen to find out why and to avoid it next time. Not sure whether it is an inherited disposition or something I did wrong. Was it shin splints? So have been getting training under way earlier and reading the forum for hints. I guess stretching before and after each days walk, drink more fluid, more rests may help plus I will also check out my boots again but I did have them fitted by 'the experts' and they were broken in before I set out.
We are a couple of crocs aren't we?

Hi OzAnnie. Nope, don't think it is shin splints as that is incredibly painful (I understand) while I had no pain whatsoever with the swelling. My ankles simply disappeared for a couple of weeks! My husband also had major swelling of ankles and legs. I will do some more research and get back to you. Mel

Hi there

Worth talking to your doctor about what might be behind the swelling. Also talk to some sports trainers eg Ironman Triathlete athletes/trainers as they put their bodies through hell on a regular basis and live to tell the tale.

I think that the lack of salt and other key minerals through effort and sweating might have something to do with it. Again check with professionals to make sure you make a good prognosis before taking on corrective strategies.

So one idea would be to bring some electrolites such as Nuun or Zero tablets as water on its own may not be enough. Another idea would be to wear compression gear at night to help your body recover. Also sleep with your legs elevated above your heart. Also when you finish your day's walking, forget about showering etc until you have eaten some recovery food within 20 mins, lie on the ground with your feet rested up against a wall. This will provide a gentle stretch but also help fluids leave your legs. Do this for 20 or so mins before heading to the showers etc.

Regards

C

Thanks CISSA69. Not sure that the lack of liquid was a cause in my case as I downed a 2 litre camel back plus another litre or two from bottles each day and I had 3 Zero tablets in the camel back every day as minimum. I also wore compression shorts everyday too. I will try elevating my legs next time - that has to help. Maybe I was in too much of hurry to get to that first cervaza to worry about putting my legs up!! Thanks

Thanks CISSA69. Not sure that the lack of liquid was a cause in my case as I downed a 2 litre camel back plus another litre or two from bottles each day and I had 3 Zero tablets in the camel back every day as minimum. I also wore compression shorts everyday too. I will try elevating my legs next time - that has to help. Maybe I was in too much of hurry to get to that first cervaza to worry about putting my legs up!! Thanks

I expect walking the VDLP to Astorga in 32 days + 3 days in Zamora, Salamanca etc..
Mel : I consider your photo absolutly ugly ... Walking on so long path, everyone of us (more than 200, 000 ) has got the same socks with holes ! So it's not unusual !
Everyone of us get blisters, injury, sunburn, dirty pants socks, etc..!
I prefer show a positive profile..
have a nice ans safe camino
kind regards
Dominique

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mel,
I missed your thread as I was walking the Vía de la Plata at the time (left Sevilla February 11). It took me 19 days to get to Salamanca.
Did Sevilla-Zamora July 2012 and it took 21 days, this past summer Zamora-Santiago in 12 days for a total of 33 days. I actually like walking stages of around 30 km and due to my pace I still have lots of time to rest and visit the town. I took a day off in Zamora and Salamanca to visit. I didn't take any days off after Zamora.
The first time around I used the Pila Press guide which is now out of print but this past summer and in February I only took Jirit's albergue list and used the information from the Godesalco site (plus current information from the forum). A walking buddy had the guide from the Amigos in Salamanca but I wasn't very impressed with it.
If you are interested I posted my stages and some pictures in the "Live" forum: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/vía-de-la-plata-in-february.24194/
Have fun planning!
Cheers,
LT

Hi Mel,
I missed your thread as I was walking the Vía de la Plata at the time (left Sevilla February 11). It took me 19 days to get to Salamanca.
Did Sevilla-Zamora July 2012 and it took 21 days, this past summer Zamora-Santiago in 12 days for a total of 33 days. I actually like walking stages of around 30 km and due to my pace I still have lots of time to rest and visit the town. I took a day off in Zamora and Salamanca to visit. I didn't take any days off after Zamora.
The first time around I used the Pila Press guide which is now out of print but this past summer and in February I only took Jirit's albergue list and used the information from the Godesalco site (plus current information from the forum). A walking buddy had the guide from the Amigos in Salamanca but I wasn't very impressed with it.
If you are interested I posted my stages and some pictures in the "Live" forum: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/vía-de-la-plata-in-february.24194/
Have fun planning!
Cheers,
LT
Thanks for the feedback LT. I have started training already for a 4 September departure so I am hoping I will also be able to take the 30km-days in my stride. I am a bit worried about how hot it will at that time of year but I will just start extra early, drink plenty of fluids and pace myself. I have printed off Jirit's updated list, a few maps from Gronze.com and other bits and pieces so maybe I won't need the Amigo's book after all. I can't help but get excited even though it is still long time until September. Maybe I will need all those months to get my fitness to the right state. ;) Thanks again. I love reading about everyone's adventures and your feedback and insight is truly valuable. All the best. Mel

Hello Fellow Pilgrims

All the best
Mel
Interesting. I walked the Camino Frances last year in 30 days, average 25 km/day. This year I plan to walk VdlP, starting on September 1. I am planning for 40 days, including some restdays. My concern is the weather. Is it going to be too hot? Perhaps I have to start early in the morning.
I think your estimate is realistic.
Perhaps we meet somewhere. You can check my blog tomscamino2013.wordpress.com
Tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Mel,

I finished it last year and did it in 32 days with no rest days. I did get blisters for the first time ever as I reached Salamanca and planned a rest day but the carried on. I had not broken in my new boots well AND I walked too far on some of the early days. Howver, I did walk over 30kms regularly and managed 50 kms one day when I did not like the accommodation...

A lovely varied walk, with peace and quiet and a chance to meet lie minded people or to stay alone. In retrospect I wish I had taken a few rest days to enjoy the superb towns.

There had been very HEAVY rain last year and crossing some fords was dangerous and at time barred completely. Take a compass as some of the marking is bizarre and upset by the high speed railway. Either way over the mountains is fine and was less demanding than I imagined. Remember too that it gets cooler as you go north - some very cold starts!!

regards - Philip

Interesting. I walked the Camino Frances last year in 30 days, average 25 km/day. This year I plan to walk VdlP, starting on September 1. I am planning for 40 days, including some restdays. My concern is the weather. Is it going to be too hot? Perhaps I have to start early in the morning.
I think your estimate is realistic.
Perhaps we meet somewhere. You can check my blog tomscamino2013.wordpress.com
Tom

Hi Tom. I think we can be guaranteed it is going to be hot and early starts will get the bulk of the walking done before it gets too hot. That is my theory anyway! Thankfully I am a 'morning' person but I do find it a bit disappointing that I miss so many great sites in the dark. See you on the way. Mel

Hello Mel,

I finished it last year and did it in 32 days with no rest days. I did get blisters for the first time ever as I reached Salamanca and planned a rest day but the carried on. I had not broken in my new boots well AND I walked too far on some of the early days. Howver, I did walk over 30kms regularly and managed 50 kms one day when I did not like the accommodation...

A lovely varied walk, with peace and quiet and a chance to meet lie minded people or to stay alone. In retrospect I wish I had taken a few rest days to enjoy the superb towns.

There had been very HEAVY rain last year and crossing some fords was dangerous and at time barred completely. Take a compass as some of the marking is bizarre and upset by the high speed railway. Either way over the mountains is fine and was less demanding than I imagined. Remember too that it gets cooler as you go north - some very cold starts!!

regards - Philip

Wow Philip! You set a cracking pace and to do 50kms in one day is amazing! I plan to adopt a far more leisurely pace!:) Thanks for the tip about the compass. This will be a very different walk to Camino Frances by the sound of it where we will actually have to think about our next steps rather than simply following the never-ending yellow arrows! All the best, Mel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Fellow Pilgrims

All the best
Mel
Just purchased, "Walking Guide to the Via de la Plata and the Camino Sanabres" by Gerald Kelly from Amazon. Publication date is February 2014. Perhaps this could help.

I did it in 45 days (including rest days) last year http://camino.bsewall.com/Start/intinerary.html. I was probably average to slightly below average in terms of the ground I covered each day compared to other pilgrims. Put another way, my feet were pretty well banged up by the time I reached Santiago and, if I had tried to shave off 5 days from the itinerary, I doubt I would have been able to keep up that pace and remain upright.

Just purchased, "Walking Guide to the Via de la Plata and the Camino Sanabres" by Gerald Kelly from Amazon. Publication date is February 2014. Perhaps this could help.
Thanks so much Stash for the tip. I have just ordered it. I hope it turns up before I fly out on 1 Sept. All the best

I did it in 45 days (including rest days) last year http://camino.bsewall.com/Start/intinerary.html. I was probably average to slightly below average in terms of the ground I covered each day compared to other pilgrims. Put another way, my feet were pretty well banged up by the time I reached Santiago and, if I had tried to shave off 5 days from the itinerary, I doubt I would have been able to keep up that pace and remain upright.
OK bsewall. I guess I will just have to see how I go but am now locked into flights etc. Fingers crossed I can do it 'relatively' easily and not arrived too banged up or I will never hear the end of it from my husband!;)

Just finished and it took me a month. Some long days in there but often no choice but too do the distance due to albergues.oFten a few early starts, not the 'bed race' like on other caminos (quite the opposite) but a necessity. You really don't want to be walking past 2pm.

Just finished and it took me a month. Some long days in there but often no choice but too do the distance due to albergues.oFten a few early starts, not the 'bed race' like on other caminos (quite the opposite) but a necessity. You really don't want to be walking past 2pm.
Whoa - walking in the middle of summer must have been tough! It is going to be a bit of a shock to the system for me going from training in -2C temps currently to Summer/Autumn in southern Spain. Lots of early starts for me, lots of water in my camelbak and hopefully an ice cold cervaza waiting for me at the end of each day.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Mel. I’m in the same boat re: weather contrast. I have allowed a week to acclimatise in Sevilla so hope it is enough. I’ve been watching the weather and it’s a steady 36C at the moment (so nice to think of sitting here in my ugg boots and wooly jumper!

I also have the Gerald Kelly walking guide but got the app for my iPhone. The maps are pretty small and I doubt I’ll even use them but it’s nice to see where you are going visually, isn’t it?

I’m sure we’ll be in touch once we start. Are you taking a mobile? I’ll be getting a Spanish SIM so can contact you when I’m installed. I arrive on the 23rd (Barcelona) and 27th (Sevilla). You can PM me if you like.
Cheers, Grace

Grace, Gerard's book is very useful but try and get some local information about the next day's walk.The situation is very fluid with the AVE construction and cuts through the camino north of Zamora. Access issues are constantly changing. Diversions are usually signposted but not always. I got lost a number of times but I am pretty useless on that front.The diversion to get to Lubian will add about 6km to your walk. All on tarmac.
There's also a diversion (bridge construction) south of Alcantara.Makes for a very long walk from Caceres - about 40km. There is an option to stay at Cesar de Caseres but its only 10km which is a bit short. If you can try and pick up the Amigos guidebook in Seville. Hopeless for info about albergues and terribly translated but good maps.

The diversion to get to Lubian will add about 6km to your walk. All on tarmac.

No, say it ain't so!!! :eek: When I walked the Sanabrés in 2013, I saw signs that Lubian was going to fall victim to the construction. There was a little bit of earth moving going on but no detours had been put up. I think the walk between Aciberos and Lubian is (sadly, I guess I have to say "was") one of the most beautiful, peaceful few kms on any Camino. Based on what you saw, Alan, is the construction just going to rip through that part? This makes me very sad. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
[QUOTE="AlanB, post: 234335, member: 11874”]...the AVE construction and cuts through the camino north of Zamora. Access issues are constantly changing. Diversions are usually signposted but not always. …..The diversion to get to Lubian will add about 6km to your walk. All on tarmac. There's also a diversion (bridge construction) south of Alcantara.Makes for a very long walk from Caceres - about 40km. ...If you can try and pick up the Amigos guidebook in Seville. Hopeless for info about albergues and terribly translated but good maps.[/QUOTE]
Hi Alan, thanks heaps for the hints. I am planning to take the Portuguese variant from Zamora this time (did the Sanabres last time in 2008) so maybe the AVE diversions will not affect me.
I was unaware of the Alcantara diversion so this will also help me with planning around Caceres. Last time I stopped at Caceres and also Casar (I had a stomach bug so walked short stages). I’m very flexible with plenty of time up my sleeve so will keep you all posted. . . Not long now. Less than 2 weeks until I depart NZ then a little break in BCN and Sevilla before I head off from the Cathedral one more time.
x G

Hi Mel
We are leaving Salamanca on 13th September and are not expecting to be very fast so may see you on the track. We are Australian and have the fly veils that are easily available here at army disposal shops. For others - we do not dispose of our armies - just their gear. First time for us and so excited. not feeling very fit but I guess we will be by the end.

Stripey Socks!! Great name. Your time sounds right to me. Some do walk it quicker and some slower.
Re Guide Book. The best in my opinion is the one produced by Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla. It is produced in Spanish, French and English versions, shows the route to Santiago via Ourense (37 stages) and the alternative route to Astorga (28 stages). It is 45 pages long and has a plan of each stage with distances between towns, a profile of the route, a description of each stage and lists albergues, hotels etc, and restaurants, ATM's, shops, pharmacies, health centres with phone numbers for police and town hall. It is spirally bound and opens out so that each stage is shown with the plan on one half and description on the other half, all on water resistant paper. Weight is 170 gms. Cost in Spain in 2013 was 10 euros. The problem is getting it overseas as the Amigos do not have Visa/MasterCard. It can be purchased in Sevilla from the office of the Amigos, Calle San Jacinta, 25, 41010, Sevilla, Spain. www.viaplata.org.es

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back