• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days walking from Porto to Santiago?

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
Hello, I just finished The Primitivo in April. Now I am off to planning the Portuguese next May I walked the Primitivo in 12 days without rest days. Knowing that how many days do you think I should do for the Portuguese starting from Porto? Also, Can I fly into to Porto from the States or do I need to fly into Lisbon and take a bus to Porto?

Thanks

Rich

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, I just finished The Primitivo in April. Now I am off to planning the Portuguese next May I walked the Primitivo in 12 days without rest days. Knowing that how many days do you think I should do for the Portuguese starting from Porto? Also, Can I fly into to Porto from the States or do I need to fly into Lisbon and take a bus to Porto?

Thanks

Rich
I'm likely heading over this summer or next summer to do so...I would imagine it's a 8-9 day hike. Try godesalco.com to see a calculator https://godesalco.com/plan/portugues that might prove helpful.

And try Google flights. There are some flights from the US into Porto. I had a chance to have a round trip from KC to Porto (through Newark) for under $1000 at a few points a couple of months back...and blew it by not booking. They're higher now. Watch google flights like a hawk and you might be able to snag a bargain. good luck

I'm likely heading over this summer or next summer to do so...I would imagine it's a 8-9 day hike. Try godesalco.com to see a calculator https://godesalco.com/plan/portugues that might prove helpful.

And try Google flights. There are some flights from the US into Porto. I had a chance to have a round trip from KC to Porto (through Newark) for under $1000 at a few points a couple of months back...and blew it by not booking. They're higher now. Watch google flights like a hawk and you might be able to snag a bargain. good luck
I'm watching flights too. The only ones I see under $1,000 right now aren't until mid October...wondering how rainy of a walk that would be to do the coastal...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can fly to Porto and I would say 10 days. I plan to start from A Guardia, just on the other side of the border on the Spain side and it’s 8 days.

Last edited:
We were thinking of starting in Caminha, taking the Ferry to La Guardia and on to Oia.
From there stops in Baiona - Vigo - Arcade - Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - Padron - Santiago
Our first Caminho though we have done other smaller hikes, so we thought we keep it short.

We were thinking of starting in Caminha, taking the Ferry to La Guardia and on to Oia.
From there stops in Baiona - Vigo - Arcade - Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - Padron - Santiago
Our first Caminho though we have done other smaller hikes, so we thought we keep it short.
For me this it is challenging. I’ve done day hikes but not so many in a row and with a multi day backpack. I look forward to hearing of your Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks

Rich
We are on day 12 of the Camino from Porto. We plan to do it in 14 days. 18km is our ideal day. Our one 25km day was rough! We found in Portugal, the trail is cobblestone, which was very grim for soles, knees and ankles.
We flew direct from Newark NJ to Porto.
Buen Camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've planned out my Portuguese Camino following the coast as far as possible this coming September. I will also include the Spiritual Variant which adds a day or two of walking. I will be taking the boat from Arousa to Padron then walk into Santiago form there. From what I've read, the boat ride does count towards getting ones Compostella. Right now I'm at 13 walking days.

My longest day (on paper) will be 20 miles and my shortest is 10 miles. I really do plan to take more time this Camino. My goal is to make myself slow down. :)

I'm watching flights too. The only ones I see under $1,000 right now aren't until mid October...wondering how rainy of a walk that would be to do the coastal...
Hi there, did the Portuguese from Porto starting mid October 2017 and Northern Portugal and Galicia were experiencing Forest and trail fires. Never got close to the Camino route but we did see the smoke in the distance. They say never tell the Devil your plans so I'm sure now Ive said that it will be Noah rainy conditions.

Hi there, did the Portuguese from Porto starting mid October 2017 and Northern Portugal and Galicia were experiencing Forest and trail fires. Never got close to the Camino route but we did see the smoke in the distance. They say never tell the Devil your plans so I'm sure now Ive said that it will be Noah rainy conditions.
I prefer this outcome when telling my plans.

Proverbs 16:1 "We can make our plans, but the final outcome is in God’s hands."

Devil be damned and Buen Camino 😇

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
12 Days, Coastal with the Esperitual Variante, daily average 25km hiking

15 days Porto to Santiago via the Sends Littoral. I always get sidetracked and would be disappointed if I stuck to a plan.

Thanks

Rich
Depends which route, I suppose. Also, your level of fitness and your mental capacity. So far, on any camino, I have never taken a rest day. Before my first camino, I set a target daily maximum distance in my stubborn mind. ExperiencE is such a gentle teacher!
So, to the point: what I knew as the Portuguese from Oporto, via the coast on the first day but then in a bit to Rates and onwards, 12 days. No rush, no pressure. I was 65 I guess, and not the fittest of candidates. I would do it again, conditions permitting, exactly the same route. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did the Portuguese from Porto to SdC comfortably in 12 days and that was in the heat of summer - my companion was a schoolteacher so it had to be done in the summer vacation.
We walked along the coast until Redondela and then struck north.
The bit along the beaches where you walk on wooden boardwalk can be tedious and, as mentioned above, the Portuguese do love their pavé stone walkways - as tiring on the feet as the tiles the Spanish use in their towns and cities.
If I were going to do it again I'd stick to the same itinerary (Matosinhos - Via do Conde - Esposende - Viana do Castelo - Caminha - Oia - Baiona - Vigo - Redondela - Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis - Padron - SdC) but stop off for a rest day in Pontevedra simply because I thought it a lovely town.
One tip though - don't make the same mistake we made between A Guarda and Oia and walk the main road; it is a never ending uphill drag in some places:

1653471401760.png

you can walk a greener, softer route between the shore and the highway through smallholdings and vegetable patches

1653471668423.png

Bom caminho!

I'm planning to walk it in 11 days with a rest day in tui as I've got my return flight booked in porto and I've already booked my bus from santiago to pirto the day before I come back hon. But om more than willing to be flexible depending on who I meet and how I feel so I'll possibly ditch the rest day and maybe just have a couple of shorter days instead. I'm really getting the camino fever as this time in 3 weeks I'll be in porto probably sipping a cervesa or 2 😄

We did the Central route in September 2021 in 11 days but completing the long stretch from Barcelos to Pont de Lima in one day was a mistake. We were too tired to enjoy Pont de Lima so recommend splitting that across two days.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Thanks

Rich
I'd say 8-10 days, depending on your walking speed and whether you take the variante espiritual including the boat up the Río Ulla (highly recommended). I flew from the US to Madrid, and from there to Porto - another option to look at. Bom caminho!

I made combo in September '21- Coastal route from Vila do Conde to Caminha, then to Valenca/Tui, visited Vigo from O Porriño (not necessary, but I had extra day) , then Redondela and so on. It took me 11 days. 20-25 km a day average.

I’m flying direct to Porto at the end of August through Newark and doing the coastal in 13 days. Anywhere from 9-18 miles each day with no rest days

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back