• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days?

DaleDeason

Time of past OR future Camino
(1913)
Walking from St Jean there are 33 "stages", each supposedly one day's walk. Yet, it seems clear that many pilgrims take more than 33 days. What's normal? For a senior citizen? I have to book a return flight that I won't be able to change, so I hope someone can give me information or opinions that can help me make a good decision about how many days to allow.
Thank you,
Dale

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think 40 days will be more than enough if you find yourself ahead of schedule there are many interesting side trips, ie finisterra & Muxia, or day bus trip to Lugo ( has the only complete intact roman city fortress wall in the world) or just a few rest days along the way such as Leon or Burgos? Or spend a few days in Santiago

Yes, 40 days is a good number.

There is a LOT to see in Burgos (oldest archaeological site in Europe and museum, cathedral) and in Leon (2 days for me!) and Astorga (small museum, Gaudi Palace). Those are nice rest stops. Then you should give a few days in case of illness or in case you just need to rest.

And in the end, if you have to bus ahead a few days ... just do it ::shrug::

But the best thing is not to rush.

And remember, Briereley's stages are suggestions.
A person who wants to avoid crowds might consider walking BETWEEN those stages and starting mid week!

Buen Camino!
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first time when I walked the camino my wife and I took 40 some odd days. We spent an extra day or two but we also skipped some of the longer more dreary sections.

The next time I did the camino, I reached Santiago in only 30 days and then continued out to the coast via Muxia and Finisterre for a total of 34 days.

Personally unless you are capable of, or are prepared walk 30 plus kilometres some/many days without resting, then I would suggesting allocating six weeks.

Worse thing that could happen is that you arrive early in Santiago and thus you will extra time to either continue walking out to the coast or taking a long deserved rest in Santiago or doing something else.

Dale:

It all depends upon your conditioning and the type of walker you are.

20km's (12 miles) per day = 40 days
25km's (15 miles) per day = 32 days
30km's (18 miles) per day = 27 days
35km's (21 miles) per day = 23 days

This amounts to approximately a Half marathon or more a day. Which ever number you use for your estimate be sure to include travel time. You also might want to consider walking to Finisterre another 3-4 days. Spending a couple of days in Santiago to greet/hang out with fellow Pilgrims met along the way. Maybe a rest day or two along the way.

I hope this helps with your calculation.

I would also suggest you start slowly and ease your body into walking condition. Pack as light as possible and let the Camino take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi, Dale,
This is when those of us who live outside western Europe really envy our European friends who can just make a return reservation as they get close to Santiago.

I've been doing this for 13 years and always agonize over how many days to plan for. The system I've come up with that seems to work is that I make a rough estimate using something similar to what Joe suggests in the previous post. Then I add 2 or 3 for rest days, and 4 for Finisterre-Muxia. The 4 for Finisterre-Muxia are extra padding that I can use if I find I need more time for my pre-Santiago camino. A few years ago, for instance, when I walked the Camino de Madrid and Invierno, I realized I needed some more time before Santiago, so I had to forego the camino to Finisterre but I was able to walk all the way to Santiago. I imagine it would be entirely frustrating to have to take a bus (if you didn't want to) in order to make up for unforeseen developments. I guess there's no way to protect yourself completely, but this four day cushion has worked for me.

It's always frustrating to see how many days we spend getting to our starting point and home from Santiago -- those are days I'd much rather be walking!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back