• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many days?

LillAnna

Hi!

How many days did it take for you to walk from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela, or, if you have not yet walked, how many days are you planning?

Thank you!

Anna

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
LillAna

Some people will say it takes as long as it takes and that is true if you have the time. Set out and see where the adventure takes you and at what pace. However some people have limited time and have to be back for work etc. Have a look at this site which illustrates the Camino Frances in 27 or 32 stages - but there are no rules - go as fast or as slow as you like!

http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago/spainmaps.msnw

Best wishes

John

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
It really does vary, depending on how far you want to walk. I think I did it in 29-30 days. Can't remember! Actually, I think it was 30. Pretty standard, really. Some books have guides which show how long you'll be walking on each "stage" so that might be worth looking up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for your answers!

I actually did it in 29 days, so pretty standard I guess!

Have been home for a while, but still think about it every day.... Hm, maybe next summer...

/Anna

I took 20 days and a couple of others at the same time took 21 and 22 days - with a mix of sexes and ages - but that requires at least 7-8 hours walking each day, if not more and no rest days

Hi LillAnna,
How long it takes depends so much on your age, your physical shape, your endurance, how far you want to walk each day, whether you want to take rest days, how your feet hold out, whether you want to take time to go inside churches and other historic buildings, how often you stop for cafe con leche and how long you sit and visit when you do stop.... I'm sure you get my point.
Many can stride along and easily cover 40 kilometers in a day. Others like to take it easier, explore as they go and cover 20 kilometers a day or even less. If you have not been doing any long walks in preparation for the camino then you may find that even 20 km per day is a bit taxing. It's not that the camino is a hard walk but it does take a certain endurance.
If you have time, why not book 35 or 40 days. That will give you time to walk to Finisterre and even around to Muxia if you are so inclined.
Buen camino
cecelia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
29 days is really good walking!
I walked it in 27 days in 2002 and must say that it was a bit of a slog - especially when some days were only 15km and others were over 40km.
Last year we walked it in 37 days - what a difference! We meandered along happily, taking detours and alternate routes, spending longer over lunch, rested in fields when the heat was too much did more sightseeing in the little villages and towns because we weren't exhausted at the end of each day - and, we never had to arm wrestle anyone for a bed!
If I get to walk it again I'd like to take 90 days!

We did it in 26 walking days earlier this year. If I had a chance to walk Camino Francees again- I would like to take as many days to complete it as possible. My advice is- dont rush to Santiago and take your time on the route. Take detours if possible and let other people to overtake;)
Buen Camino!

Sensible posts from Sil and Kuba. It's not a race. Take your time and enjoy it.

It doesn't matter whether it takes 26, 27, 28 or 38 days. What matters is the experience.

When I do the Camino Frances again I hope it takes me 42 days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi

I would also suggest keeping a flexible approach. Things happen. It is fun to plan but sometimes we have to change our plans. We can do so and still have things work out if we aren't too attached to our plans. I suspect that sometimes changing your plans is an integral part of the Camino. And, as has been mentioned, going a bit slower or giving yourself more time or starting closer to Santiago does give more time to meet people, both the Spanish and fellow pilgrims, as well as enjoy the site/sights along the way.

It does seem that most people start from the Pyrenees but when I was on the Camino there were people who had started in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada and Sarria as well as Lepuy, Belgium and other places to numerous to mention. We all walk our own Camino and it need not conform to our own or anyone's else's preconceptions.

Buen Camino

John (from the Rocky Mountains in Canada where it is gently snowing)

sillydoll said:
29 days is really good walking!
I walked it in 27 days in 2002 and must say that it was a bit of a slog - especially when some days were only 15km and others were over 40km.
Last year we walked it in 37 days - what a difference! We meandered along happily, taking detours and alternate routes, spending longer over lunch, rested in fields when the heat was too much did more sightseeing in the little villages and towns because we weren't exhausted at the end of each day - and, we never had to arm wrestle anyone for a bed!
If I get to walk it again I'd like to take 90 days!

I like the approach of silly doll, i also in 2008, allowed myself 38 days to complete the part of the Camino. Afterall all, unless you are in training for the Olympics, why rush it? Its physically possible to walk the 40km a day, if you are on a restricted time schedule, but i think it way more enjoyable to walk each day with an open mind, possibly only 5km? maby 10?...maby none?....for sure there is so much to soak up in this area, why not give yourself as many days as possible to just Enjoy this experience.

It took me 30 days to walk from SJPP to Santiago - and I felt that was a bit aggressive...I could have "meandered" a bit more, which is what I want to do the next time around -I'll probably allow for 35-40 days. I would start walking around 7am and would pull into my refugio of choice by 1-2pm on average.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back