• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many Euros

Bama Geezer

Bama Geezer
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances/Finisterra/Muxia (mid Apr-May 2018)
I’m starting the CF in April and was wondering about how many Euros are needed each day in cash. I intend to use my credit card first and get some Euros at ATMs when available. However, I have noted that cash is required at many places because they don’t accept credit cards. I would appreciate any recommendations.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Bama,

If you're going to be staying at albergues and getting most of your food and drink at bars/cafes I'd say 90% of your spending will be cash. ATMs are few and far between, at least unless you're prepared to go hunting for them, I tried to have 200 euro on me most of the time.

How much you need is kind of up to you. I'd say absolute rock bottom, staying at the cheapest places possible and making your own meals, would be 20 euro a day on average. I, due to my penchant for cervesa and the occasional private room was probably spending double that.

Hope this helps,

Rob.

Start out with 300 euros in your front pocket in 20's and smaller notes. Every week or so when you have access to an ATM take out another 300, try not to get 50's or walk inside the bank and exchange them for 20's. Never let yourself go below 100 euros. Depending on where you choose to stay, you may be able to use a credit card, but most restaurants do not want to deal with them. When you use an ATM make sure the bank is open for business in case your card is not returned during the transaction.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the CF last year, staying strictly in municipal or parochial albergues, I spent less than €190 on lodging from SJPP to Finisterra and I paid for everything in cash and cash only. On top of that were glasses of wine (average €1 each, low of .50 centimes, high of €1.50), nibbles at the bar, bread, cheese, tortilla de patata, etc and I think it came to no more than €600 or so for the month including lodging. Maybe a bit less. So I would just use your bank card to take out whatever you're comfortable carrying and go from there. No big deal. :cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
30 Euros a day is reasonable, and will permit various treats along the Way. It's important to top up whenever your cash gets below 100 Euros, as suggested above, and cheaper to take 200 or 250 out in a lump than smaller withdrawals. It helps if you have a no-load credit card for those shops that take credit cards.

I’m starting the CF in April and was wondering about how many Euros are needed each day in cash. I intend to use my credit card first and get some Euros at ATMs when available. However, I have noted that cash is required at many places because they don’t accept credit cards. I would appreciate any recommendations.
Greetings!
An hostel from 11-15€ , Albuerges maybe half of that. Boccadillos and pilgrims meny from 5-10 €. Approx. Note: the food is not the point. This is not a culinary journey. ( nevertheless- the ham, cheese and local sausages are world class. Not to mention the wine.)
Accept what you get, smile -and give a compliment to the chef. Maybe you make somebody happy by doing so. Most places accept credit cards- but cash is preferred. ATM machines to be found at most of the route especially bigger towns. Small notes are best. Keep an emergency amount in cash just in case- and use it only if you have to. Remember to refill!

Buen camino!

Best

Håvard

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Generally cash €10 for accommodation 15 for food drink credit card Hotels

Welcome aboard, your first post! Concur with above recommendations. IF you can, check with your local bank at Bama to see if you can get your first set of euros [at least 300 of them in small denominations] before traveling to Spain [that's what I do when I travel to Europe, my local bank charges a few cents above the exchange rate and that is okay with me]. Oh by the way, I would stay away from those rock-solid bocadillos. Good luck with your planning and execution, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Start out with 300 euros in your front pocket in 20's and smaller notes. Every week or so when you have access to an ATM take out another 300, try not to get 50's or walk inside the bank and exchange them for 20's. Never let yourself go below 100 euros. Depending on where you choose to stay, you may be able to use a credit card, but most restaurants do not want to deal with them. When you use an ATM make sure the bank is open for business in case your card is not returned during the transaction.
Thanks to all for the good advise. This really helps.

Didn't find a lot of places that would take credit cards - other than in the larger towns. It's really a cash society on the Camino. Don't count on your credit card.

200 Euros in cash should be enough, and top up in ATMs as needed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One thing to note/be-aware of. Each time you use your ATM card you may pay a "Foreign transaction fee" depending on which card you have. There are many cards out there that have no such fee, but most do. This fee can be as much as $30 per transaction. So if you're pulling out 100Euros every third day you'll come home to find a whopping bill.
So my advice is to make sure you have or get a card with no such fees. Alternatively, make your trips to the ATM fewer and get more cash out each time. The fee is set by the number of transactions and not the amount withdrawn.

I have a separate account that I use for travel so just in case something happens my general account cannot be accessed. My husband keeps an eye on it and transfers money into it when needed. I could do it online, too, but he likes to do that for me. Be sure your limit takes into consideration exchange rate and fees so that when you use the ATM you are within your accepted range. And of course let your bank and credit cards know your travel dates.

Also, as regards ATM use, ONLY use an ATM attached to a functional bank office. Avoid free-standing ATMs. The free standing type are frequently privately owned. As such, they charge extortionate fees, above bank imposed conversion charges.

Occasionally, you will come across a free standing ATM machine that is clearly and obviously a bank owned and maintained ATM, albeit located away from a bank. I do make exceptions for these devices.

My reason for this recommendation is to have some recourse in the unlikely event an ATM "eats" your card. At least you have an office to go into to reclaim your card....hey...s&*t happens...;)

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use a prepaid currency Master Card, you top up in Euros before leaving home, and in addition I have a Correos prepaid card, widely accepted. (and more secure than walking around with 300 euros in your pocket,) you can withdraw money from ATM or Correos office

Apart from the larger towns and cities, your credit card will be of little use. Very very few albergues take plastic, similarly with bar/restaurants. I start out with €400. 200 in my spending wallet and 200 in my back up emergency wallet. When the spending money runs down, I replenish it at the first ATM I come to always withdrawing another 200. The money in the emergency wallet stays there. It only becomes spending money in Santiago

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the Camino Frances, the Santander banks were recommended and that is what I used, I had no problem. I did hold my breath though and was always so happy to see the transaction had worked and to see the card sliding out of the ATM. Other banks didn't like my debit card. I also had been warned about only using an ATM at a bank and not to use it on weekends and holidays in case the card wasn't returned.

Can anyone recommend a bank to use along the Portuguese ways?

About 35 per day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I recall seeing a Banco Popular in nearly every town and large village, both when walking from Lisbon last year, and from Porto in 2015.

Just as an FYI, Wikipedia has a good listing of Portuguese banks, all of them.

Hope this helps.

I would also recommend that you not show up in SJPdP without euros. On my last Camino the atm’s were broken and there were a number of pilgrims that didn’t have cash to pay for their first few nights accommodations. I lent them euros, some I saw again and were repaid, some not. No problem though, as I don’t lend money I can’t live without. They were all grateful.

Bama geezer, this old man in Atlanta will be glad to talk about your Camino if you send me a PM or start a private conversation.

I failed to mention the gut wrenching day on the Aragones when I realized I should have used an ATM in Jaca. I walked for 3 days towards Puenta la Reina and never found an ATM, ran out of cash because most places are demi pension charging 30 to 40 euros for dinner and a bed. I had to bail and take a bus to Pamplona with my last 10 euros.

Make sure you budget for Band-aids and Ibuprophen, especially the first week!

Good conversation, good lessons learned about having euros a la ready upon arrival and during your stay in Spain. One of my camino family members had to spend the weekend in Pamplona waiting for the bank to open on Monday due to the ATM machines not accepting her card. In my travel money bag I still have a lot of euros handy, waiting for my next trip to Spain. To all caminantes, buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good conversation, good lessons learned about having euros a la ready upon arrival and during your stay in Spain. One of my camino family members had to spend the weekend in Pamplona waiting for the bank to open on Monday due to the ATM machines not accepting her card. In my travel money bag I still have a lot of euros handy, waiting for my next trip to Spain. To all caminantes, buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
Sailor some good advice, I always return home with at least 150 euros in coins and paper ready for my next trip.
Please be aware that in France banks are not open on Sunday and Monday. Just mentioning this to pilgrims coming through Paris, Bayonne and SJPdP.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Mister Don, I was NOT aware of banks not available on Mondays [in France], another good reason to leave home with enough euros in my travel vest--I normally travel on Sunday, arriving overseas on Monday. To all caminantes, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Once again, thanks to all for input on how many euros. You all answered a lot of questions and have greatly changed my approach to solving this problem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back