• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many km a day at the Meseta ?

unniskaar

Time of past OR future Camino
Longrono -Burgos 2011,SJPDP - Burgos 2012, Burgos - Santiago d C june 2013
An excperienced pilgrim told me that it is easy to walk many km a day at the Meseta, is it true ? I will start in Burgos 15 th of june. Last summer I walked from St Jean to Burgos, and liked to do about 25 km a day... my knees can bring me some trouble :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
25 is ok, try to find the time to strengthen your knees, find a 12 stories high building walk with your 7 kg pack up and down as many times as you can.

the meseta is nice and easy and most coming to it have walked from sjdp so they are used to the walking, i did an almost 40 and a 50 there, but had been walking in portugal first

if you are starting in burgos start slow as when starting anywhere and see how you fare

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
unniskaar said:
An excperienced pilgrim told me that it is easy to walk many km a day at the Meseta, is it true ? I will start in Burgos 15 th of june. Last summer I walked from St Jean to Burgos, and liked ti do about 25 km a day... my knees can bring me some trouble :)

I would suggest the weather is a major factor. I was on this section in November. A cold wind came up from behind me during the last 5km on a 30km day from Burgos to Hontanas. It took a long time to warm up again. Stupid because I should have put on my rain jacket to cut the wind.

The situation in June will more likely be that the heat of the afternoon and directness of the sun would make the wise pilgrim get off the road early.

If I were you I'd keep it to 25km a day. There is no need to get to Santiago as soon as possible.

The key here is the knees..I get trouble now with my knees from long distances done on high mountains in the past, physio says it was too much, once you have trouble you must listen to the head..25 is perfect, if you need to do more, try walk a little slower, I've done 40 but a much longer day, so if sun is too hot you got to watch that also. Burgos to Hontanas is wonderful, take it slower, rest up, if you can book ahead (we did) and enjoy, stop in Hornillas at bar with bench, rest up a little.
Enjoy

You can do 50km. Or you do just 8km. It's all the same. Just listen to your body, feel yourself and decision will be so easy :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't know how fast or in my case how slow I walk, don't really care, but walked from Burgos to Castrojeriz with a stop in Hornillos in two days end of march, only two of the three Brierly days I managed from starting in Pamplona lol.. I am not as young as I used to be :lol: and not very fit, absolutely useless on inclines but made it ok. And that was with trails from San Bol to Hontanos that were ankle deep in mud the whole way with no respite which made each step an ordeal. I walked from Burgos to Hornillos with Carlos from Porto Rico. He had fallen in the snow at Roncevalles and came down on his knee on a sharp stone. He was limping badly and had his knee strapped up but made it ok by taking lots of little rest stops along the way so hopefully you should not find it too tough on your knees

After the last summer's experience (25km/day) you will find no trouble walking 30-35 or even more per day. I would not recommend more than 40 though, even if you are able to do it; it takes a long time afterwards to recover.(My longest day, only because there was no room at the alberque, was 47 km; every step after 40 felt like it was the last step I was to do in my life). Your body will tell you when to stop.

I am curious - what is the rush to get through the meseta? Perhaps another way to approach it is to choose some of the 'recommended' albergues on the meseta and plan your walk to reach those each day. For example...

I prefer Hontanas over Hornillos, and Hospital San Nicholas over Castrojeriz. Albergue En el Camino in Boadilla is a great stop, for the garden and the warm hospitality, and Albergue Espiritu Santo in Carrion de los Condes offers a break from the overcrowded, bunkbed-filled dormitories. Stop in Moratinos and you will meet Rebekkah from this forum.

Bercianos has one of the best shared dinners on the Way. If you go the other route after Sahagun, you will find fantastic hospitality in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.

There are great pastries in Sahagun and Villarente del Puente, so at least slow down there!

And then of course: listen to your body, rest as you go, and enjoy it all...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
falcon269 said:
If you can walk 6kph for 14 hours a day, you can cover 84 km per day...

and as falcon intentionally didn't mention that leaves you 8 hours for sleeping, 30 minutes for showering/laundry and 1 hour 30 minutes for cafe con leche, tortillas and menu del dia.

:oops:

Seamus

Thank you all for good advice! I will start out easy and feel whats best every day :) Best not to plan to much in advance.... not to worry but take one day at a time, thats the best way for me to of do the camino this time. Its the experience not the distance that counts !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will be starting in a couple of days from SJPP. I'm from the hot country of Fresno, CA, and one friend who has done the Camino, tells me the Meseta is a lot like home. I've done a little of the Meseta before, from Leon to Astorga--and the Astorga stage was, for me, the hardest of the walk because of the heat. Here is a link that has some very helpful advice about how to hike the Grand Canyon that will apply to the Meseta. Main point, replace your electrolytes: http://www.bobspixels.com/kaibab.org/bc/suffer.htm

I am curious - what is the rush to get through the meseta? Perhaps another way to approach it is to choose some of the 'recommended' albergues on the meseta and plan your walk to reach those each day. For example...

I prefer Hontanas over Hornillos, and Hospital San Nicholas over Castrojeriz. Albergue En el Camino in Boadilla is a great stop, for the garden and the warm hospitality, and Albergue Espiritu Santo in Carrion de los Condes offers a break from the overcrowded, bunkbed-filled dormitories. Stop in Moratinos and you will meet Rebekkah from this forum.

Bercianos has one of the best shared dinners on the Way. If you go the other route after Sahagun, you will find fantastic hospitality in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.

There are great pastries in Sahagun and Villarente del Puente, so at least slow down there!

And then of course: listen to your body, rest as you go, and enjoy it all...
Thanks. Going into my notebook.

One of my favorite places to stay at Libranos Domine in Rabe de la Calzada. That gives you a shorter first days walk, so that you can easily arrive in Hontanas on the second day. Although I have walked from Burgos direct to Hornillos in the past, I prefer to cut the journey into two and, until recently, the Albergue in Hornillos is pretty Basic ( with a capital B), so not to be recommended! Aparently there is now a new Albergue in the village.
Also there is the weather factor to take into consideration. Anne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As they say above, the Meseta is ideal for long walking days if you are coming from SJPP or Pamplona and your body is used to walking at that stage. The landscape, flat stretches and loneliness invite you to walk, I find.

But, since you are starting from Burgos, you would only be fit, in my opinion, for longer stages once you pass Leon at least.

Buen camino!

After Carrion (hostal as football final and F1), and Ledigos (ok with nice garden but a but noisy night), I am in Calzadilla at Via Tajana ( very nice). Sp there you have it - my input for what it is worth

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
An excperienced pilgrim told me that it is easy to walk many km a day at the Meseta, is it true ? I will start in Burgos 15 th of june. Last summer I walked from St Jean to Burgos, and liked to do about 25 km a day... my knees can bring me some trouble :)

Unniskaar:

The Meseta versus mountain walking provides an opportunity to walk longer etapas because it is flatter and most Pilgrims are in better walking condition. That does not mean you have to walk longer. I have always just walked and let the Camino decide. That said, the weather can be a contributing factor in that decision^^.

Ultreya,
Joe

Some good advice there,i was a little 'worried' about where/when to stop on the Meseta,i generally go with flow but for some reason the Meseta conjurs up a vision of the school bully just waiting by the school gates lol.

One of my favorite places to stay at Libranos Domine in Rabe de la Calzada. That gives you a shorter first days walk, so that you can easily arrive in Hontanas on the second day. Although I have walked from Burgos direct to Hornillos in the past, I prefer to cut the journey into two and, until recently, the Albergue in Hornillos is pretty Basic ( with a capital B), so not to be recommended! Aparently there is now a new Albergue in the village.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One of my favorite places to stay at Libranos Domine in Rabe de la Calzada. That gives you a shorter first days walk, so that you can easily arrive in Hontanas on the second day. Although I have walked from Burgos direct to Hornillos in the past, I prefinier to cut the journey into two and, until recently, the Albergue in Hornillos is pretty Basic ( with a capital B), so not to be recommended! Aparently there is now a new Albergue in the village.
I loved my stay at Libranos Domine in September 2013 with dinner and breakfast offered.

I meant to write that in the past we have also walked from Burgos to Hontanas in one day ( not Hornillos), however it's over 30km and if the weather is averse that doesn't make for pleasant walking. We have also done Burgos to Hornillos, but as mentioned, the Albergue is super Basic. That's why we like to break the journey at Libranos Domine. Anne
I would also like to mention that I love this first part of the Meseta. Beautiful open spaces, somewhat undulated, enormous skyscapes and the time to meditate.

With the rain today turning the path to sticky, heavy mud, walking - and biking - was SLOWER on the Meseta, not faster. Drier skies expected tomorrow. Yea!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On the Meseta I like to open up - like a finely tuned sports car.

Once walked 140 km in four days - hitting 40 km in one day alone.

Nothing like kicking up a dust trail as you blaze past slower pilgrims, with the wind blowing in your face.

Pain is all in the mind.

:)

Los Albergues: Albergue Liberanos Domine

04-albergue-liberanos-domine.jpg

• Dirección: Plaza Francisco Riberas, 10
  • Localidad: Rabé de las Calzadas
  • Teléfono de contacto: 695 11 69 01
  • Email: clementinadelatorre@gmail.com
  • Propiedad del albergue: Privado
  • Institución o administración encargada de los costes de mantenimiento: Privado
  • Persona encargada de atender el albergue: Tinita
  • Observaciones: En el albergue dan cenas a 8 euros y desayunos a 2,5 euros

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Los Albergues: Albergue Liberanos Domine

04-albergue-liberanos-domine.jpg

• Dirección: Plaza Francisco Riberas, 10
  • Localidad: Rabé de las Calzadas
  • Teléfono de contacto: 695 11 69 01
  • Email: clementinadelatorre@gmail.com
  • Propiedad del albergue: Privado
  • Institución o administración encargada de los costes de mantenimiento: Privado
  • Persona encargada de atender el albergue: Tinita
  • Observaciones: En el albergue dan cenas a 8 euros y desayunos a 2,5 euros

Most excellent Falcon,much appreciated.

I stayed there two weeks ago - agree that dinner and breakfast there is great. It is a lovely village. I left just as the church bell was striking 7 and the sun about to rise. Had that wonderful walk up on to the Meseta all to myself for an hour. Pure joy.

€149,-
We leave on 9th June to walk from Belorado to Ponferrada (we walked from SJPdeP in September and want to start from the point where we finished last time). We intend walking from Burgos to Hontanas on day 3, so thanks for all the useful comments and suggestions re. the Meseta. I'm actually looking forward to that section - assuming that the weather isn't too horrible.:)

I'll second all the comments on the Albergue Liberanos Domine. It was one of the cleanest and most efficient alberques on our Camino in 2013. I noted five stars in my journal. The food was excellent, and the hospitalera washed and dried our clothes for €6 (one or more pilgrims could combine clothes since the price is per load -- you do the sorting afterward). There is a nice bar just a couple of short blocks down the street where you can sit in the plaza and enjoy a cerveza before dinner. If you happen to be Roman Catholic (or even if you're not), there is a convent with several elderly nuns just down the street from the albergue with a wonderful Liturgy of the Hours followed by a pilgrims' blessing right after dinner at the albergue. The walk out in the early morning is an excellent introduction to what lies ahead on the meseta. We spent the next night in the tiny albergue built into the ruins of the Convento San Anton, and despite the fact that there was no electricity or hot water there, it was probably the most magical night we spent on the entire Camino.

I walked the Meseta in May,having started in SJPDP. It took nine days from Burgos to Astorga, a distance of about 220k,. I really enjoyed this section and I hope to go back and walk it again,having walked to Burgos twice. There were many familiar faces walking similar distances every day, which made it very enjoyable. I would recommend not to exceed about 30k per day. I had a short walk (14k) to Leon. I would also recommend the following albergues, Santa Brigida in Hontannas(the best albergue on the complete camino),El Camino in Boadilla del Camino, Domenico Laffi in El Burgo De Ranero, San Pelayo in Puente de Villarente, and Santa Lucia in Villvante. A great adventure, enjoy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Unniskaar,
I am starting/ restarting my camino is Burgos May 2015. I plan to walk to Tardajos the first day in my international flight and bus from Madrid work as I hope. Although I will be hiking at hom, I am worried a bit about the meseta. How did you find the early days especially starting in Burgos?

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.