• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many km for albergue?

Zuzana23

Time of past OR future Camino
walked Portuguese coastal camino
Hello. I would like to ask if one needs to walk some distance to be able to stay in an albergue - I´m curious about the first day of pilgrimage. Except for this, how is it with rest days? Can one stay for two nights in row in the same albergue/ same town?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Zuzana,

There should be no problem staying at an albergue the night before you start walking, you just need to have your credencial ready to be stamped. The only time I can imagine you having a problem is within the final 100km. Where do you intend to start from.

Staying an extra at most private albergues won't be a problem, a lot of the municipal/parochial one have a one night only policy, though they may make exceptions in case of injury. There is certainly no rule that you can't stay an extra day or so in a given town.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The only issue I've heard of with staying an extra night at an albergue is that you may be asked to be out of the albergue by a set time in the morning so that they can clean. The albergue will then reopen in the afternoon. Others have likely had more experience with this than me.

Burgos municipal is firm in one night only. I think Granon may be the only one with a km rule.

As long as you are still moving forward, the distance isn't usually an issue.

Hi Zuzana,

There should be no problem staying at an albergue the night before you start walking, you just need to have your credencial ready to be stamped. The only time I can imagine you having a problem is within the final 100km. Where do you intend to start from.

Staying an extra at most private albergues won't be a problem, a lot of the municipal/parochial one have a one night only policy, though they may make exceptions in case of injury. There is certainly no rule that you can't stay an extra day or so in a given town.

Buen Camino,

Rob.
The Hospitaleros are generous but with rules. Having encountered vagabonds(not pilgrims) many towns will look to see if you have stayed in another public allergies there. Ultreya

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have never seen a minimum number of kilometers required to stay at an albergue. The albergues in starting points like Pamplona, Burgos, and Sarria expect to be your first start. In many stretches albergues may only be 3 to 5 kilometers apart, and you can stop in each one! Typically you can only stay one night unless you are visibly ill. Almost all of them need the money, so if they are not full (or don't expect to be full because of the number of pilgrims they are hosting in recent days), they will let you stay longer. Private rooms are likely to allow you to stay as long as you want (and pay).

Tell us where you are starting and when, and Members may know specifics of what you may want to do.:)

In Pamplona once I stayed in two different albergues on two consecutive nights. We stayed two nights so as to see the city more and sample the vino and food. The second albergue I went to did not even ask me about the stamp from the night before from the albergue only a five minute walk away.
I believe the shortest days I walked was between 10-12 kilometres and I had no problems getting albergues when I did that.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Emaus albergue in Burgos does not permit anyone who has spent the previous night in Burgos to stay there. As a hospitalera, I was reminded of this when I forgot to ask those who arrived where they had stayed the previous night. Those who are beginning their camino in Burgos are allowed to spend their first night there.

In 2009 we stayed 2 nights in 3 different albergues. In Burgos at Santiago y Santa Catalina we had to pack up our things, leave the albergue but could leave them there - then check-in again at Noon. At Leon we stayed at the Convento Santa Maria. The first night we were Pilgrims (donativo), the 2nd night 'tourists' for a fee of 5 Euro each. In Ponferrada at San Nicholas de Flue when my wife was ill - first night donativo, 2nd day I had to do 'chores' - including collecting the rubbish, separating it into garbage and recyclable - both of which ended up in the one compartment in the rubbish truck !!

Navarette used to have a no-stay rule if you'd spent the previous night in Logrono (too short a walk).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A general rule is that in Parochial/Religious, Municipal and some other albergues that are operated by Spanish or overseas organisations (such as Rabanal, Grada etc) you can only stay one night except in medical emergencies. Commercially operated albergues are quite happy if you want to stay an extra night as they make more profit. As a hospitalero (member of the Spanish Hospitaleros Voluntarios) at Estella at the Parochial Albergie of St Miguel, the decision was up to the hospitaleros but no one could stay 2 nights and although we did not have anyone who had stayed elsewhere in Estella the previous night, we would have used our discretion and asked the reason why. For instance if they arrived at 3 pm we would have suggested they try a commercial albergue, but if they had arrived at 7pm and had a good reason and of course if we had room, they could have stayed

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.