• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll How many km/miles per day do you use to walk in average?

How many km/miles per day do you usually walk on average?

• Less than 10 km/6 miles

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 10 km/6miles - 15 km/9 miles

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • 16 km/10 miles - 20 km/12 miles

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • 21 km/13 miles - 25 km/16 miles

Votes: 95 46.3%
  • 26 km/16 miles - 30 km/19 miles

Votes: 48 23.4%
  • 31 km/19 miles - 35 km/22 miles

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • More than 35 km/22 miles

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters

Pelen

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2018 SJPdP-Logroño)
In average on all the caminis you made, how long distance have you walked every day?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If the weather is bad I start late, have an early and long breakfast then an early and long lunch with an early finish. Maybe 7k on a day like that.
Decent temperature for walking, good weather, feeling good, 32k perhaps. Friends stopping at an albergue? I'll probably stop there as well. Feeling like my own company? Keep walking. Arrive very early at an albergue I want to stay at? Stop early.
Walking with someone slower? Slow down. Aiming to catch up someone? Walk fast, stop rarely.
YMMV

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
that was my average, just below 30 km, but I equally love shorter stages when you have time to stop, or reach a particular destination where you have plenty time, and those stages where your body just keeps asking you for miles, miles, and more miles, like ending up doing 48 or 53 km when you were planning 26 km and you kept going and still did not feel comfortable anywhere and your body kept asking you to move on and on onto the West, where the Sun sets...
I love both!

On the Camino Francés, you walk as far as you want. On other routes one walks the distance as the path dictates...and as misinterpretation of signage adds to the distance:).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Whilst I have indicated I walk around 16-20 km per day, I generally walk "as far as I need to walk" on any given day. So it could be just 16 km today and 29 km tomorrow and just 21 on day 3 and I think I am close to the average. The other factor governing walking distance is (1) is it early in your camino?; (2) what time of the year are you walking??
If it day 2 or day 3 then walking 15 km is sensible as you adjust to the Camino. If its May/June then (imho) you can walk further, more comfortably, than you can in July or August. Cheers

Depends on the time of year, the weight of the pack and the company kept.
In summer by myself with a base pack weight of 8 kig I will happily walk 25-35km as I love early starts at dawn. Summer means 7-8 hours of walking.
Winter means 12 kg pack due to heavier gear so 20-25km is more realistic.

I can't in good conscience contribute as I think poll results might tell a misleading story for newbies.

With a start at SJPP my average from SJPP to Burgos is about 13.8 mi/day (22.3 km/day)

From Burgos to Leon it has been about 14.9 mi/day (23.9 km/day)

From Leon to SdC the numbers come in at 16.6 mi/day (26.8 km/day)

See the upward trend? It is a matter of conditioning.

Giving a newbie a flat average, which they would imply for every day, could result in injuries and early demise to their Camino. Not gonna play....

B

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We walk shorter distances. Longest has been around 28km...shortest has been about 6-8km. It depends on many factors...mostly terrain, anticipated need for rest, interesting location and accommodation choices.

I think if you ask your questions without a survey scale you may get more positive responses😆

I think if you ask your questions without a survey scale you may get more positive responses😆
Probably, 😄 but a poll is more fun and easier to conclude (but off course you have to read all “ifs” and “buts” to get the full picture. Everyone can feel free to just answer the question without answer the poll.

Probably, 😄 but a poll is more fun and easier to conclude (but off course you have to read all “ifs” and “buts” to get the full picture. Everyone can feel free to just answer the question without answer the poll.

Ok, it may, indeed bemore fun for you....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
that was my average, just below 30 km, but I equally love shorter stages when you have time to stop, or reach a particular destination where you have plenty time, and those stages where your body just keeps asking you for miles, miles, and more miles, like ending up doing 48 or 53 km when you were planning 26 km and you kept going and still did not feel comfortable anywhere and your body kept asking you to move on and on onto the West, where the Sun sets...
I love both!

50km? My body never ‘asks’ me to keep going like that... What does it say the next day? I know what mine would say, hahaha, and I can’t write it here! :)

In my mind you can answer the poll if you want and comment if you want or just not read it.

Well stated, it as simple as that. There is always something that is irritating somebody. Personally, polls do not irritate me, and if they do - I ignore them (just as I ignore the 500th question on how to make a booking at Orisson, for example).

Maybe we can do a next poll with the question: "Do polls irritate you?":)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have off course no problems to not create polls if polls gives the forum more negativity than the opposite. I got some PMs with positive comments and as well suggestions of new polls so I thought it was ok. I had no idea that it was irritating. In my mind you can answer the poll if you want and comment if you want or just not read it. I have no problem to adapt to the culture here, but I am used to on an other forum (with another theme) where polls often are used.
Look what an interesting debate you have started with your simple poll😊

Overall, We averaged about 13 miles per day between St jean pied de Port to Santiago.
But that was with taking Sundays off (only walking 4 to 8 Miles on Sundays)(Usually to make sure we made it to a place to go to Sunday Mass)

I have off course no problems to not create polls if polls gives the forum more negativity than the opposite. I got some PMs with positive comments and as well suggestions of new polls so I thought it was ok. I had no idea that it was irritating. In my mind you can answer the poll if you want and comment if you want or just not read it. I have no problem to adapt to the culture here, but I am used to on an other forum (with another theme) where polls often are used.
Hi PELAN,
Ide like to thank you for " the polls" that have attracted mixed reviews ( doesnt everything in life)
If one joins the forum it can be of varied reasons, looking for certain answers and data , and each member with varying amounts of free time to browse online!!
Considering the polls are simply a form of measurement tool that tells us how a certain group thinks and feels about a given topic, it can be very useful to get some data quick without having time to post threads and converse backwards and forwards online
And a lot of people enjoy participating in polls ( some hate it)
How representative is the information?? Who knows lol but its a bit of fun with some interesting data to represent so good for you!!
Sure beats some threads that ive read on here that abound with monotony 👍
Tog a bogie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In another forum I am joining it is automatically written ”Poll:“ as a prefix in front of the thread title when you add a poll. Maybe that is possible here as well? if not it is off course possible to write it manually in the start of the thread title. Can that be a solution @biarritzdon and others that don’t like polls? Then it is easy to just skip the thread.

I prefer to walk 35 to 40 kms a day as I tend to wake early and start walking immediately - no breakfast/coffee or tea! - so those distances give me about 8 hours walking. If I walked for less i would probably just be bored waiting around for the next day….

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow, I found the poll of interest, but more interesting was the discussion about the topic.
I am always fascinated by the differences of opinion, the varied way we human beings think about things.

In another forum I am joining it is automatically written ”Poll:“ as a prefix in front of the thread title when you add a poll. Maybe that is possible here as well? if not it is off course possible to write it manually in the start of the thread title. Can that be a solution @biarritzdon and others that don’t like polls? Then it is easy to just skip the thread.

Hi Pelen,

There is a little 'Poll' symbol to the right of your post title on the topics page so people can just scroll past if the wish. I found your poll quite interesting if its any consolation. :)

I generally prefer to walk 20-25 km. That's my sweet spot. Given the choice and the time, I will walk two days of 15-20 km rather than one day of 30+ km, but I will walk 30+ km if necessary. If there are a lot of major changes in elevation or if the weather is terrible, I tend to walk somewhat shorter distances. I also may walk shorter distances towards the beginning of a camino, especially if I have shortchanged myself on training.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
50km? My body never ‘asks’ me to keep going like that... What does it say the next day? I know what mine would say, hahaha, and I can’t write it here! :)

I've walked from Baamonde to Santiago in two days and, last year, from Lugo to Santiago - having a hotel reservation in Santiago and a flight the following lunchtime worked for me - but does need some 10 hours walking each day

O Lordy...you walk what you have to...:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In average on all the caminis you made, how long distance have you walked every day?
I see and understand the innocence of the question..even though the point may elude me. In this day and age, no matter how innocent the question, there are those that will take this information and find alternate uses...especially if there are those who cannot resist replying. I do not 'share' the 'pass-it-on-if you-agree" questions that pop up on social media and although I have no doubt that your motives are without guile, the information that responders provide can be used against them...maybe nothing more nefarious than targeted advertising. To return to the point...there is more than one camino and sometimes...as I did say....how far one walks depends on where the next bed is.

Interesting that people that don't like polls respond to this thread instead of ignoring it ;) I think its great fun, not to be taken too seriously, so why not stick a ✔in the box :D its misleading no-one. (unless you are easily led, which I don't believe for a minute is anyone on this forum)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.