• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many of you have reconnected on the forum?

peregrina2000

Staff member
We have lots of stories about people who have met others via the forum and later got together in real time, real life. I probably have almost two dozen new buddies,, forum members who are now real people to me and whose friendship I very much enjoy.

But how about the reverse? I just saw that @Davey Boyd and @SterreO had an unexpected rendezvous on the forum and it made me smile. It also made me remember that it was thanks to the forum that I reconnected with @mla1, whom I had met in 2000 on my very first Camino Francés. I think she noticed that it was me, because 15 years later I was still wearing the same green fleece. :)

I bet there are others who have fallen out of touch with camino pals and then happened upon them coincidentally on the forum. Just goes to show what a wonderful resource we have, both for making new friends and finding old ones. Thanks to Ivar, of course!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We met an Australian who memorably recited a Banjo Patterson poem at Zamora one night,....we walked with him a bit, stayed in touch off-forum a little....and when he turned up on another thread recently it was exactly like bumping into an old friend. Hi @digger
Additionally I had someone very kindly PM me to check I hadn’t been offended on the “Not a serious thread” as I had disappeared from it. I had just been limiting my online time and as much as red socks and elephants were amusing, I just couldn’t keep up. Now it’s so long I could never catch up!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
and as much as red socks and elephants were amusing, I just couldn’t keep up. Now it’s so long I could never catch up!
I can’t either! :D;)

To keep on topic.... no, I haven’t recognised on the forum anyone I happened to walk with.... just the other way around...
Mind you, I lost my glasses quite early on on this last Camino and ended up not saying hello to anyone, just because I couldn’t see them! :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We want to hear it! :)
I was in a cheap pensión in León, on my way to the shared bathroom down the hall, when I saw two people talking and gesturing about crashed phones or viruses or some modern technological problem. As I passed them, one of the two looked up and asked -- "Laurie?" Turns out it was Kinky, who must have recognized my head of short shocking white hair. Unfortunately, his phone problems got in the way of his leaving on the Salvador the next morning, so our only interaction then was a beer in the café down the street outside the phone store. But hey, we have since reconnected in Santiago, and of course we routinely hurl insults at each other with our political arguments (all in a PM, not on the forum, of course ;))

I've now decided that my white hair is a camino asset. I think it is what also led to my meeting @wisepilgrim on the route to Finisterre, when he decided who I was based on my forum picture.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I met well over ten people(probably pushing fifteen) from here when I walked in April/may this year. It was great to be wandering along and then hear "you're that Andy wild guy!.. I recognise the beard".. some were a quick hello and others shared a drink or two..
I am also walking the Portuguese in a couple of weeks with another member from here (well, from the Netherlands but we speak on here) .. we haven't met in real life yet so maybe I should say we're starting the walk together.. there's a strong chance that after a day or two in my company she will decide she needs some alone time :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But how about the reverse?

In 2012 my husband came on my first camino, from Lisbon to Santiago. After about 10 days he had to stop walking as his leg would swell up, although he was on warfarin and using a compression stocking. He was worried about me walking on alone, and asked a nice young man, called John, if I could walk with him next day. John kindly assented. From Coimbra my husband flew home, I reunited with a couple from SA, and we never saw John again. About 3 years later I saw a post on this forum, and I knew it was him – we have since been in contact with pms – but thank you again @johns for looking after me that day!
Jill

Strangely, most of the pilgrims I encountered along the way, and some of whom I thought I could identify, denied being members of this forum. They weren’t under interrogation, honestly!

I met Bradypus on a Camino and was delighted to come across him on the Forum later and have some contact, picking his brains. Also folk such as Alan and Bill from Canada who I met up with and walked part of the VdlP after connecting on the forum spring to mind, as does Catherine from Sussex UK for the Frances Route - all great company and very fond memories. Meeting up again subsequently in a planned way whilst "on Camino", walking again in other years or meeting up again at the end in Santiago with folk I've met on previous Caminos is great too - Ton from Canada (four years); two different Pats from Ireland; Paul and Eileen also Ireland as well as Jo from Suffolk UK. All lovely folk.

However, what I find truly amazing and an incredible blessing is randomly coming across folk again by chance on the trails who I've met on past Caminos - this year checking in to an Albergue in Arzua, Buz from the States happened to be the third person sharing a room (after a three year gap); a couple from Washington State on Frances a year on from the first meeting. On my "Winter Camino" this year, when there weren't actually too many other folk on the trail, a young Spanish student who I'd come across the previous Spring. As I say, awesome experiences when they happen and always a delight....Camino surprises and such wonderful people to randomly reconnect with.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Connected, more so than re-connected. I have only once re-connected, with a pilgrim from Jerusalem who passed through the area where I was hospitalera and four years later we met on the way up to El Perdon. Others I have met in person as a result of connection on the forum. I look forward to meeting still more, so if anyone is passing through Dublin and wants to meet, just pm me.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have lots of stories about people who have met others via the forum and later got together in real time, real life. I probably have almost two dozen new buddies,, forum members who are now real people to me and whose friendship I very much enjoy.

But how about the reverse? I just saw that @Davey Boyd and @SterreO had an unexpected rendezvous on the forum and it made me smile. It also made me remember that it was thanks to the forum that I reconnected with @mla1, whom I had met in 2000 on my very first Camino Francés. I think she noticed that it was me, because 15 years later I was still wearing the same green fleece. :)

I bet there are others who have fallen out of touch with camino pals and then happened upon them coincidentally on the forum. Just goes to show what a wonderful resource we have, both for making new friends and finding old ones. Thanks to Ivar, of course!
I guess it's never too late to make a new friend......whether on or off the Camino
Some amazing stories about people reconnecting again.

Although we've never reconnected ON the Camino, we have met people again on returning home ......2 pilgrims that we walked with in 2015
Also in contact by email with some we met in 2005 on our first Camino

2 years ago and a PM got me connected with a lovely lady from north California ...
We emailed for some time and then she came to stay with us in London for 10 days whilst on her way to her Camino ..
We had a great time walking and talking, and she met all the family ...from Ireland and England. We certainly had a good knees up!

This year another PM and I was connected with Kirkie, a forum member ...we've already met in Dublin....and due to meet again in 2 weeks time ......a lot of "Camino talk" due to take place I'm sure!!!

I guess watching this forum is becoming as addictive as is walking the Camino!!!
Best wishes
Annette

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was fairly new to the forum when I walked in 2013, having joined up only six months previously. A stranger approached me in the Burgos albergue when he recognized the forum badge on my pack - which I had forgotten was there - and we got talking; it was dear Sagalouts. My companions and I crossed paths with him several times over the next three weeks or so. Many of the forum members will know that he passed away two years later while on camino. This month marks the third anniversary of his death.

There is a very touching video of an interview with him the day before he died, in which he says, "I'd be happy if I died tomorrow." Rest in peace, Sagalouts.

I was fairly new to the forum when I walked in 2013, having joined up only six months previously. A stranger approached me in the Burgos albergue when he recognized the forum badge on my pack - which I had forgotten was there - and we got talking; it was dear Sagalouts. My companions and I crossed paths with him several times over the next three weeks or so. Many of the forum members will know that he passed away two years later while on camino. This month marks the third anniversary of his death.

There is a very touching video of an interview with him the day before he died, in which he says, "I'd be happy if I died tomorrow." Rest in peace, Sagalouts.
Sad. I wish I had met him too. Relish the memories.:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Oh, my,...

I remember that video at the bar counter, with a vloging girl (from USA I think). And you had the opportunity to meet THE man. I envy you!

I have only met one pilgrim in real life from this forum, even though I wear the patch on my rucksack. In 2015 I met a guy at a bar in Roncesvalles, we had a good chat, he was a funny and interesting man. When I asked him why he walks the camino again and again he answered 'I'm still learning to be a better pilgrim'.

Unknown to me at the time this was Sagalouts. He died soon (days) after on this, his last camino. I did not know it was him until I saw the video that was released. I was utterly shocked. I remember his funny posts on here well. Last year walking back from Santiago to France I passed his memorial by the wayside and said goodbye.

RIP Sagalouts, you were an inspiration to me.

Davey

I met a very outgoing and witty Australian lady on the camino in 2001, who saved my skin when I dragged my bedraggled carcass off the Dragonte Route into a packed-out and heaving O Cebreiro. Her deluxe en-suite hotel room had an extra single bed in it...! I took the finest, hottest bath of my life that evening.
I lost touch with Jill farther down the road.
But I found her again a few years ago, here on Ivar's forum, calling herself Kanga!
Still outgoing, still witty, and all the more wise for the passage of time. And now and then we walk again together. The Camino is a wonderful thing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I met a very outgoing and witty Australian lady on the camino in 2001, who saved my skin when I dragged my bedraggled carcass off the Dragonte Route into a packed-out and heaving O Cebreiro. Her deluxe en-suite hotel room had an extra single bed in it...! I took the finest, hottest bath of my life that evening.
I lost touch with Jill farther down the road.
But I found her again a few years ago, here on Ivar's forum, calling herself Kanga!
Still outgoing, still witty, and all the more wise for the passage of time. And now and then we walk again together. The Camino is a wonderful thing.
Hey, that's really beautifully put!!!

I'd seen posts by @jpflavin1 on the forum and after I announced in early 2017 that I was walking the Frances again, he posted "I'm going at the same time as you. Look for the guy wearing a 'Life is Good' hat." I thought to myself "Yeah, right, like that's gonna happen". Well, a guy started chatting to me as I rested on a rock at the Ibaneta pass, and sure enough he was wearing that hat, and yes, it was Joe!
Another forum person said to look for him, too, that he'd be bringing his 6 year old and bribing him with chocolate. I responded I'd be bringing my two adult sons and would be bribing them with wine. Well, Steve was from Hong Kong and on another hill resting a short time later, I heard a man telling someone he lived in Hong Kong. I then asked him if he was Hong Kong Steve, and sure enough it was him!
Also, I've had the pleasure of meeting up with one of the forum gurus for a local hike, @peregrina2000, Laurie, who started this thread, and Joe joined us, too!

Last edited:
One great way to meet, or re-encounter old friends or Forum Legends, is to become a Camino Ditch Pig! This forum sent the very first Pig, Tyrrek, way back about 2009?? And has fostered several stalwarts ever since. SheffieldJames is a great standby, and JPFlavin, and Jacques Piguet, and BiarritzDon, and even WisePilgrim!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have actually thought about doing this before, unfortunately I couldn't at that time. Seems a great way to give something back to the camino, and meeting nice people too.

Is there a place to find out about it or can you keep us informed when/where etc?

Thanks for reminding me Rebekah
Davey

One great way to meet, or re-encounter old friends or Forum Legends, is to become a Camino Ditch Pig! This forum sent the very first Pig, Tyrrek, way back about 2009?? And has fostered several stalwarts ever since. SheffieldJames is a great standby, and JPFlavin, and Jacques Piguet, and BiarritzDon, and even WisePilgrim!
I might start a "Fund me" campaign to come :)

I actually met up with two gals I met on the Camino (Frances route) when I visited New Zealand. The three of us did a trek together while I was there. And, if my foot will cooperate, one of them and I are planning to walk the Camino del Norte this Spring!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

There’s a thing called Facebook that’s all you need to keep in touch

Quite true, @Davey Boyd . I'm one of them.
E-mails or phone numbers work completely OK for me.

I have had the pleasure of connecting with the following members along the way: Ivar, Faith, Lydia Gillen, Madidi, Pilgrim b, Don, Reb and Gidivet. It is always lovely to put a name to a face.
Ahhh, that's nothing, @wayfarer ;)
I know I didn't put all the forum members on the list but there are (at least) 17 of them:
- 1 unknown (saw a Forum patch) and another one from USA,
- @m108 , @ivar , @peregrino_tom , @SYates , @peregrina2000 , @jerbear , @lovingkindness , @edandjoan , @timr and I can't leave out @Charrito of course ;),
- 2 Slovenians, 1 from NZ, 2 from Croatia and 1 from Spain (living in UK),
- not to mention those that are casual contacts through e-mails and phone calls.

But always opened for new experiences ;)

I have actually thought about doing this before, unfortunately I couldn't at that time. Seems a great way to give something back to the camino, and meeting nice people too.

Is there a place to find out about it or can you keep us informed when/where etc?

Thanks for reminding me Rebekah
Davey

Davey you can learn about it at www.peaceableprojects.org , or you can talk to me. This year we will clean up the worst bits of the Camino Portuguese interior, from Porto to Valenca... last week of November.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
Hi,

I only met one member of this forum on my last camino, but I do not know if this really counts. I later recognized that he had asked questions here before his journey but it does not seem that he is active here anymore.

In Germany we had a "Pilgerforum" where members met once or twice a year. But now it has been switched off. People seem to prefere Facebook.

Another possibility to meet fellow pilgrims are the local societies and their activities.

For example on November 24th, there will be a common prayer in the "Citykirche" at Koblenz, Jesuitenplatz, at 12.00 o'clock, thanking God for all the wonderful camino experiences this year. Later there is the possibility to sit together and chat and enjoy "Tapas" in a spanish Restaurant.

I am looking forward meeting some of my pilgrim friends on this occasion.

BC
Alexandra

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m trying to reconnect with a group of people that I meet on the Camino Frances this past July. There were about 4 women and three men. I cannot recall their names. I visited with them one night in Arzua after the mass. One of the women was a PhD and one a psychologist and one of the men was a male nurse named Manuel the other was a physical therapist. I think they were all from Sevilla. If anyone has any information or a way that I could contact them it would be great.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had dinner with @Peter Fransiscus at Orisson... and we re-aquainted on here :) I met up with @SYates because of this forum and also became friends with the lovely @nidarosa on here too (and we're walking together in a few weeks! woohoo!) I finally met up with @Magwood this year... which is great as she is one of my walking heroes! And I met @Rebekah Scott walking her dogs one May morning too... she probably had no idea who I was! I hope to meet a few more of you on my travels!

Also I have a walking friend in France (@FLEUR) and I didn't realise she was on here until very recently... so we've chatted before online and I had know idea it was she :oops::D

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.