• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many pairs of shoes did you go through?

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Podiensis, Olvidado, Invierno
Did you walk your entire Camino in the same pair of shoes? I generally get about 500 km or so from a pair of running shoes. Should I expect the same from the shoes I use on the Camino? If you bought new shoes along the way, did you have problems with a break-in period? I'm planning for 2023, hoping to start from Vezelay and connecting from Saint Palais or SJPdP to Irun and the Camino del Norte. Thanks for comments.
Brian

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Francés (save for 100k) in new already broken-in Ahnu boots. As I am hard on heels, I’ve since had these boots reheeled, but I could probably get another camino out of them.

I easily got 1000 km from a pair of hiking boots or shoes. I now use running shoes, but haven't walked a long camino in them yet. However, I've found that at home I get 1000 km, but by that time, the cushioning is noticeably less. I am not a large person and I don't think I am particularly hard on my shoes.

Do you need a break-in period for your running shoes at home? I don't, so I wouldn't expect to need it on the Camino. But if I got new ones mid-Camino, I'd probably carry the old shoes for a day or two before tossing them, just to make sure all was OK.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For late autumn/winter I carried simple sandals for relaxing and wore Decathlon hiking boots. Each pair easily lasted 2 caminos walking from SJPdP to Santiago plus either out to Finisterre/Muxia or down to the Portuguese border at Valenca do Mino. Thus the boots easily covered 2000 km before the sole showed wear. They probably would be ok for 3000 km but for safety sake new boots were purchased every 2 years.

Last edited:
I walked all my lead up training and the Frances and and Portuguese in the same hiking boots, each person has their favourite brands for comfort though for me I could not fault my Salomon hiking shoes / boots

I wore high top Patagonia hiking boots for our first two caminos. I considered wearing them the third time, but they were showing wear on the soles and heels. So I bought a pair of Merrell Moab Gore Tex high tops, which are very similar to the Patagonia. Did fine on our third camino and I'll wear them during our upcoming Camino this fall. After each daily hike, I slip into PR Recovery Sandals. The waffle texture massages tired feet. Sturdy enough to wear around town and inside each evening. Bob
1623004370277.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do need to break in running shoes a bit and I have found the same to be true with my Salomon GTX. I rubbed a blister in them after the first couple of hikes, but they're fine now. I've got about 360 km on them so they have plenty of wear remaining. I recently bought a pair of Salomon Speedcross trail runners to try them out. C Clearly, your suggestion of a crossover period of a few days makes sense. With prolonged wear of running shoes I can get plantar fascia issues, so I've been careful about not using them too long. I have the luxury of time to try a few shoes to settle on the best for me. Thanks for the replies.

Used my Trailrunners for about 200km, walked the Camino Frances for 800km. The "midsole" (cushioning?) was somwhat at the end of the lifespan, the sole itself might have lasted another 100-200km. Funnily the rest of the shoe was in remarkably good shape. They been good to walk around towns the week we spent after arriving in santiago, but i guess i was happy i did not have to hike in them anymore.

However, there are shoes that might last longer or shorter. Some Altra models have been known to wear down rather fast.

New boots every year, I need the ankle support. I could probably do several Caminos in the same boot but I prefer to break-in a new pair each time. I have used lots of different brands. My latest favorite is Keen.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Since my start to walk to the job and getting serious about the Camino in sept ´12, I am now on my 7th pair of boots, 4 different brands, and my third make of orthotic insole...
Boots should last at least 2500 kms!!
I have bought 4 pairs of my latest model of boot , leather- non membrane, as they have discontinued the production ( basically the world has gone mad and will now only make fancy footwear )
Problem is to hide my stash of boots from my wife as she might think /or already knows that I have gone potty...
Anyway, it could have been Gibsons or Harleys!!

Last edited:
This is an excellent question!

As other have pointed out, most boots, and many hiking shoes will have >1000 km life in them, some times much more. Most running shoes will not. On my first Camino, the Saucony's I walked in were in tatters when I arrived, and went straight in the trash. I was lucky to get away with it. On my second, I took an absolutely new-in-the-box pair to SJPP, and mailed another pair to Santiago, so I could swap them for the walk to Finisterre. They were pretty ratty in Santiago, and I was happy to get new ones for the remaining few days. On my third, I knew enough about the New Balance shoes I am now wearing, to know that they would go the distance without spares, and they did.

Why not buy new ones on the trail? Easy if you are a standard size and model, but for me the odds of finding exactly the right model in the right size/width are zero in a retail shop, and Sahagun is a lousy place to start experimenting with a new shoe.

I walk year round, 10 -15 km per day, 5-6 days per week. I go through shoes every few months, so I know what the durability of each model is, and trust me, there is a WIDE variation in how long they last, even in different models from the same manufacturer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have walked the Camino's Frances and Portugues in Merrell Moabs, New Balance trail runners and Oboz Sawtooth. All of them I wore on several training walks to make sure they worked well before I walked the Camino(s). Also a break-in period if you will. All of them easily lasted the 800 or so kms without a hitch, but did have quite a bit of wear and tear at the end and no way would I wear them on second Camino. Not worth it. I wear new (newer) shoes.
All the expense I put in on flights, accommodations, other equipment etc and I'm going to risk injury or just a general pain in the rear looking for replacements because I decided to wear worn out shoes? No way. Besides, I do not carry backup walking shoes, just a $1 euro pair of rubber shower sandals I throw away before going home.
On the Frances I can think of a few, for sure places I could get new shoes in the event whatever I was wearing failed me or was stolen (yes, people steal shoes on the Camino lol), lost etc. SJPdP of course, Zubiri, Pamplona, Puente la Reina, Logrono, Burgos, Carrion, Leon, Sarria and Santiago. A few others I am sure.

Did you walk your entire Camino in the same pair of shoes? I generally get about 500 km or so from a pair of running shoes. Should I expect the same from the shoes I use on the Camino? If you bought new shoes along the way, did you have problems with a break-in period? I'm planning for 2023, hoping to start from Vezelay and connecting from Saint Palais or SJPdP to Irun and the Camino del Norte. Thanks for comments.
Brian
You should be able to walk the Camino in one pair. I wear Merrill low cut shoes with vibram soles. They are pretty worn by the end.

I have walked 300-500 miles on several various Caminos and used one pair for each of them...Hoka one, one, Saucony twice, and Asic. My feet are not fussy. I try to use them up walking at home, but they all seem to keep on keepin' on.👟👟

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Anybody do more than Spain? My current thinking is to start in Vezelay, so I would be only halfway when I get to Spain. That would somewhere around 1,800 km, in round numbers. Still think a single pair would do it, or be on the safe side and search for a new pair in SJPP?

Brian

Hola Brian; I walked the Frances 780 km, (in May-June 2017) in a pair of well broken in Keen boots. I have another pair waiting for the Porto. I think if you were walking the Via de la Plata (from Serville) then you might wear out a pair of lighter walking shoes. But as I always say - footwear is the most important aspect of successfully completing your Camino. So if (by say Leon) the originals are showing wear then consider replacements. Cheers

I had a pair of New Balance hiking shoes that easily took me over 2000 km, but they don’t make that shoe any more.

I have purchased new footwear en route, with mixed results. The best experience of that was a pair of house-brand anti-pronation trail runners from Decathlon; I carried my old footwear a few days, in case, before donating them to the left-behind box. My not good experiences were left scattered across donation boxes between Le Puy and SJPDP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Brian
Yes, one pair, just. 1000km more or less is what my camino shoes have given me for my 5 caminos so that's probably about the norm. Maybe walking wears them out less than running. There are Decathlons and other shops that sell quality equipment (e.g. big brands) in any big or medium sized city in Spain (definitely one in Bilbao). Shoes are comparatively cheap in Spain too.

Last edited:
You are planning for 2023. Get outside and walk a thousand or 2 km and see how they are. Depends a lot on the shoe and how hard you are on them.

I have walked from Le Puy en Velay to Santiago and from Seville to Santiago without having to change to new shoes. Neither on shorter caminos. In most cases I have used the shoes at home for years after.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Anybody do more than Spain? My current thinking is to start in Vezelay, so I would be only halfway when I get to Spain. That would somewhere around 1,800 km, in round numbers. Still think a single pair would do it, or be on the safe side and search for a new pair in SJPP?
I would probably send a pair ahead to the halfway point to change out my shoes.

Brian
I have always worn hiking shoes/boots. You want something with a firm sole. You will be walking over some rough terrain at times & trails with small stones. One thing I would recommend you take are insole replacements. Switch them out halfway.
Ron

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walked 1,000km in snow, rain, mud, and heat in my Altras (TIMP 1.0) and they made it (but were definitely DONE!) Zero break-in period. Its considered a “trail runner” shoe, so better than just a street running shoe for the various terrain and elements on the Camino.

PS: A shoutout to Jbkirk who answered previously, my Altras walking buddy (who I never met, but we walked two different Caminos at the same times!)

If it was me, i would send some ahead. There might be people, that used their runners for that amount, but that will be the rare exception. The more sturdy variants of shoe might be more likely to be good for that distance, but I, again personally, would rather deal with the extra logistics than with heavier footwear.

Brian
I wore Keen Targhee II waterproof hiking boots the whole way. I trained in them for a couple of months before the Camino as well. They were easy to break in. They had a wide toe box and an ankle guard to help downhill hiking. I was grateful for not getting blisters. Highly recommend them.

I use NewBalance and their designers say that you normally get about 150-200 miles (say 300K) before the cushioning and support starts to wear out. Their comment to me was that from a foot health standpoint, the cushioning and support will wear before you really notice it and the only symptom you might see is that you have increased heel pain or discomfort. Seemed like a reasonable stance from their standpoint and it matched my own experience. Each vendor would probably have a different design point and given the fact they all want to sell shoes, you probably can take their estimates with a grain of salt.

Brian
I have done 3 Caminos (one really short one in Portugal). I use one pair of Merrell shoes(new for each walk) and a pair of Birkenstocks (hanging around at the Albergues, taking in the town/city, etc). I do train with the new pair, maybe a 200 miles worth. For me this breaks in the shoe really well. The first walk from Rouncevilles, one shoe did start unstitching but that was almost at the end of the walk. However no problem in the other two walks. I was lucky regarding blisters - had none. I wore appropriate socks and didn't get crazy with two pairs at one time, moleskin, etc. The only thing that I did forget was an extra pair of shoelaces.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Brian
Hi. I have done 2 Camino Frances and also Camino da Costa in the same pair of boots as well as walking at home. they are La Sportiva TRK GTX. They are not cheap but they have lasted me for 9 years heavy use and I am just replacing them this year. They are sturdy and supportive but also light and have good Gortex. I would not advise tackling the Camino in running shoes as some of the terrain I feel needs good ankle support. However if you choose to use them you can probably get away with one pair. I am an athletics coach and in my heyday a 14.17 5k and sub 30 minute 10k runner. The absolute maximum I recommend for training shoes is 500 miles or 800k so you could just about make it. Also you don't want to be carrying an extra pair because of space and weight. I took only the boots for walking during the day and a pair of Teva trekking sandals for the evenings. You can use the sandals to walk comfortably on days where the terrain allows. hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Vince

I wore Keen hiking sandals, same pair for Frances and about 700 k of Norte and Portugue. Now they are my beach sandals

I bought a pair of hiking shoes from Walmart prior to my Camino. I broke them in over a month and a half in Croatia, Rome and France. They survived the entire walk and I finally threw them away a few months after I returned home as the soles were beginning to split. And they only cost me $21!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked all my Caminos so far in the same pair of boots.
Scarpa Delta GTX Activ. I am hoping there is another long Camino in them!
About every 1500 - 2000 Km they get sent away for a complete new sole, I tend to wear
more of the outside parts of the sole, so never get much more than 2000 km from each set.
I have sourced a pair of the same boots without goretex liners to try next.

I have walked 5 caminos. Shortest about 675k longest about 1400K. I buy a new pair of Brooks Cascadias. Start walking in them about 2weeks before I start and then I am off. Never had to even worry about a new pair.

I began my Camino (June-July) in a pair of Keen Venice sandals that had already taken me to many places. As I walked into Arre my shoe started to flap and I realized the sole had partially detached. I don't speak Spanish and the host spoke limited English but he told me his wife was taking the kids to the mall that evening and I was welcome to tag along. There was a large sporting goods store there where I found a pair of men's Merrell sandals (I'm female and was desperate) similar to my Keens and I was able to keep on walking. Still have the Merrells but if I were to walk another Camino I would go for Keens.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New boots every year, I need the ankle support. I could probably do several Caminos in the same boot but I prefer to break-in a new pair each time. I have used lots of different brands. My latest favorite is Keen.
Keens for me, too

As things stand now, I get 1000s of K out of my French Army Boots -- but that has not always been the case.

My first pair was great on the 1993 ; then on the 1994, they broke after about 1500K, and I had to finish on espadrilles. (which was practically barefoot) LOL

After that, well, my feet kept on getting bigger from the hiking (since my first Camino, French size 44 to 50) ; so I needed to get a new pair every few years, except the pair I had did last each time after 1994 on every Camino I wore it on (made sure never to repeat the mistake of not having a solid enough sole and heel).

Now though, my feet seem finally to have settled down to a French size 50, UK 14½, US 15½-16. To the point where I can actually have two pairs of French Army Boots ; the old pair that has been re-soled, the one I started this 2019 & 2021 Camino on ; and now the new pair I'm continuing it on.

My expectation is that these two pairs will last me for many years and many 1000 Ks to come.

Both pairs are the best footwear I've ever owned or used.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Brian
Never had shoe issues. I've done several different Camino routes with Keens. Once they stopped making boots with wide boxes I moved on to Oboz which has done the Portuguese and the Madrid.

Brian
You are in a good position time wise to try on and select the most important piece of equipment (shoes) that will carry you on the Camino. Spare no money here, although the most expensive isn’t necessarily the best for you, but listen to your feet. There is no one shoe that serves everyone...you will decide. Once you do that, use those shoes/boots often...I came across dozens of tossed away boots and blister horror stories along the Camino...three things stood out...poor conditioning, too much equipment and ill fitting shoes. I used my Ecco boots and with a light coating of Vaseline, silk liner and wool socks, had no blisters on 2 Caminos. For me, all my foot ware, hiking and casual, are this one brand after trying many over years of walking/hiking. On the last Camino, I did buy a pair of Ecco sneakers to use after a long day’s hike to give my feet a rest...otherwise, it’s just one pair of boots which will last more than 800 km. Buen Camino.

I would probably send a pair ahead to the halfway point to change out my shoes.
I was thinking I'd wear one pair from Le Puy to SJPP and have another pre-worn-in pair waiting for me there. That may be overkill, but I'm thinking having a new pair along with new socks and such might be a nice treat after a month of hiking.

I usually go through one pair of Keens boots on each Camino. I prefer the bigger toe box as I normally have issues with the toenails. I've tried shoes, but found the lack of support causes issues with my knees (patella in particular). A few years ago I went through two pairs of Keens, but not by choice. I had learned that while I wear size 12 shoes for everything, by wearing size 13 I avoid blistering at the heel and the dreaded black toenails. I was really happy with my boots. One morning at the Santo Domingo de la Calzada albergue, I was a little late in starting and grabbed the Keens from the boot room and went on my way (there might have been a half dozen pilgrims left in the albergue).

When stopping in Granon for a coffee, a pilgrim approached me and pointed to my Keens mentioning if I had the correct boots and that a pilgrim back at the Santo Domingo albergue mentioned that a pair of Keens were there, but not his. I said that not too many people have size 13 Keens and I'm pretty sure they are mine. I took the boots off and noticed the label was french/english typical of boots sold in Canada.

I carried on, but had a nagging thought in my head that something wasn't right. At the next town I decided to wait at the bar and watch any straggler pilgrims who might be wearing Keens. A couple of hours went by and eventually a lone pilgrim wandered through, saw me and my boots and said, "there are my boots!". I told him to take the boots and I would get a taxi back to Santo Domingo. He said not to bother as he had waited there until stores opened and bought a pair of shoes. He said he liked the shoes better as the boots gave him blisters. I offered him a hundred euros, but he refused saying that the opportunity to write his family back home about honesty amongst pilgrims and the reputation of Canadians being what it is, was worth the cost of the shoes. I bought him coffee and we went on our way.

He was right about the blisters however as by the time I got to Belarado, I had the worst heel blisters ever! Shows to go, that even if you have the same size and manufacturer of show/boot the fit is so different even amongst models. Anyway we managed to see each other a few more times along the way, and I was able to buy him dinner in Boadilla del Camino. And throughout my camino I had to endure hearing from other pilgrims an amazing tale about a pair of boots and to watch out for Canadians with large feet.

Wore out a pair of Salomon GTX on my first Francés. On my second Francés, I switched between Hoka One One Challenger ATR trail runners and a high end pair of Lowa hikers. The Lowas could easily do another camino, but the Hokas were basically done. I am planning to take only Hoka One One Stinson ATR trail runners on the VDLP, with Hoka recovery slides for evenings. They are much more comfortable for my problem feet and have been well 'tested' in training walks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I usually go through one pair of Keens boots on each Camino. I prefer the bigger toe box as I normally have issues with the toenails. I've tried shoes, but found the lack of support causes issues with my knees (patella in particular). A few years ago I went through two pairs of Keens, but not by choice. I had learned that while I wear size 12 shoes for everything, by wearing size 13 I avoid blistering at the heel and the dreaded black toenails. I was really happy with my boots. One morning at the Santo Domingo de la Calzada albergue, I was a little late in starting and grabbed the Keens from the boot room and went on my way (there might have been a half dozen pilgrims left in the albergue).

When stopping in Granon for a coffee, a pilgrim approached me and pointed to my Keens mentioning if I had the correct boots and that a pilgrim back at the Santo Domingo albergue mentioned that a pair of Keens were there, but not his. I said that not too many people have size 13 Keens and I'm pretty sure they are mine. I took the boots off and noticed the label was french/english typical of boots sold in Canada.

I carried on, but had a nagging thought in my head that something wasn't right. At the next town I decided to wait at the bar and watch any straggler pilgrims who might be wearing Keens. A couple of hours went by and eventually a lone pilgrim wandered through, saw me and my boots and said, "there are my boots!". I told him to take the boots and I would get a taxi back to Santo Domingo. He said not to bother as he had waited there until stores opened and bought a pair of shoes. He said he liked the shoes better as the boots gave him blisters. I offered him a hundred euros, but he refused saying that the opportunity to write his family back home about honesty amongst pilgrims and the reputation of Canadians being what it is, was worth the cost of the shoes. I bought him coffee and we went on our way.

He was right about the blisters however as by the time I got to Belarado, I had the worst heel blisters ever! Shows to go, that even if you have the same size and manufacturer of show/boot the fit is so different even amongst models. Anyway we managed to see each other a few more times along the way, and I was able to buy him dinner in Boadilla del Camino. And throughout my camino I had to endure hearing from other pilgrims an amazing tale about a pair of boots and to watch out for Canadians with large feet.
Ha...you wouldn’t get into my 7 1/2 boots😉

Good man!

Brian
I buy ONE pair that lasts me all season - walking the Francis as well one other route usually.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wore high top Patagonia hiking boots for our first two caminos. I considered wearing them the third time, but they were showing wear on the soles and heels. So I bought a pair of Merrell Moab Gore Tex high tops, which are very similar to the Patagonia. Did fine on our third camino and I'll wear them during our upcoming Camino this fall. After each daily hike, I slip into PR Recovery Sandals. The waffle texture massages tired feet. Sturdy enough to wear around town and inside each evening. Bob
View attachment 101936
I also hike with Merrell Moab GoreTex low riders. 2 trips on the Francis and 1 beginning on the Via Francigena breaking them in the year before. I learnt a painful lesson wearing the standard width Merrell's on the Francis in 2008 that resulted in several blisters and hot spots. Be sure to select a shoe 1/2 size larger in length and also width. Merrells do offer a wide fit and they have a reinforced sole for sharp rocky surfaces. I could walk both directions comfortably. Their good for break-in, weekly training and 2 camino's and still more to go!! Winewalker3

This is very much a YMMV situation. Even the same brands change from year to year. I did Le Puy to Santiago in 2014 with Lowa renegades (boots). At the end of the trip they had enough wear for another pass-thru hike. Fast forward 3 years later. My Lowa Renegades (not the same pair) started falling apart (soles coming of) in the middle of the trip. Although this time the terrain was rougher (Alps).

Several years ago I switched to trail runners - primarily Salomon and Altra - and they will not last a long trek. Salomon around 500 km and Altra even less. Once again YMMV and, based on informal comparisons with others, I seem to be rougher on my shoes.

If you have big and wide feet, this is a problem in Spain and France. My last trip, in 2019, was from Toulouse to Santiago and I went thru 4 or 5 pairs. The first pair because they started to fall apart (Altra) and subsequently because I couldn't find the right size. I returned to Toulouse and even Salomon were out of wide in trail runners. I tried several stores (one an REI clone) and ended up getting regular width which were supposed to be "wider" than most regulars. They weren't. Ended up having a pair of Salomons shipped from home. Shipping was more than the shoes.

Brian
HiTec, $59 at Big Five in the USA. SJPDP to Santiago. Upon arrival to Santiago, noticed slight tear at toe but still good enough for another week of sightseeing and the flight home. When I got home repaired with shoe glue (the white residue in the picture). I should throw them away but too many good memories.

Attachments

• 20190406_123803.jpg
    20190406_123803.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On my first 2 Camino I used my ancient army leather boots. Norwegian pride. I got blisters.

Then I invested in trekking boots, GoreTex, from Salomon. Never had a blister after that. They last roughly 2 Caminos, or 1.500-2.000 kms.

And whenever I arrive in Castrojeriz (CF), I stop at the old man's shop to buy 2-3 pairs of Lorpen socks:

I am really worried, in this Covid year-and-a-half, about how he has fared in this pandemic. I hope someone can bring some good news about him. Hopefully, I can check it out myself this autumn.

One point I will observe about “how long footwear lasts” is that I’ve never worn through a sole of any boot, but I *do* turn my very used boots into “casual commuting with public transit” and “tromping around the woods or the garden” work boots once I have developed significant wear on the tread that alters the angle for my heel strike and toe-life-off.

Wearing shoes that have too pronounced an angle of wear can alter your gait and cause subtle injury when you are doing 15,000-30,000 steps every day for days on end.

So, depending on how hard you walk, you might need to hang up your boots at the end of a camino while still finding them useful for less demanding purposes.

One point I will observe about “how long footwear lasts” is that I’ve never worn through a sole of any boot, but I *do* turn my very used boots into “casual commuting with public transit” and “tromping around the woods or the garden” work boots once I have developed significant wear on the tread that alters the angle for my heel strike and toe-life-off.

Wearing shoes that have too pronounced an angle of wear can alter your gait and cause subtle injury when you are doing 15,000-30,000 steps every day for days on end.

So, depending on how hard you walk, you might need to hang up your boots at the end of a camino while still finding them useful for less demanding purposes.
Indeed. My worn-out boots end up in my cottage as working boots.

Had Merrell walking boots a few years before Camino and they lasted a few years after. Usually I have outsides of any shoes in top condition, no wear at all, but insides get thrashed. One way to prevent the wear at least in the heels is a small shoe horn in the outside pocket of my backpack. For walking in albergues, use in shower, and going to city I had crocs ballerina style black shoes, those were not new and got finished on the Camino.

My first Camino from Burgos to Santiago, I used hiking shoes that lasted me the whole way, although I had tendinitis and basically had to skip from Sahagun to O'Cebreiro due to time constraints from the rest days I needed for the Tendinitis. I left the shoes in Santiago as they were awful for blisters.

My second Camino, I started in Hoka trail runners which were a mistake--I got a pair of hiking sandals in Pamplona (Chiruca brand? I can't remember exactly), then had to replace with Tevas in Sarria (the sole cracked along the ball of the foot). With the foot issues that I have, this was only possible because I didn't carry my pack my second Camino. I wore socks and sandals. I had fewer blister problems, and it was nice to really only need one pair of shoes for the whole trip.

As I prepare for my third Camino on the Portuguese, I've come to realize that I really need actual boots if I'm going to be able to walk with my pack until Porto. I'm not sure how well they will hold up, but they are doing well for my training so far. I'm using Merrill's, and they fit my feet like a glove.

All I can say is that, if you have the right shoes/footwear for you, then it will make all the difference in how you do on your walk. Unhappy feet can make a good day bad, and a bad day worse.

If you need recommendations for socks, I would highly recommend Darn Tough merino wool socks. They are incredibly sturdy, and they have a nice cushion on the sole. I bought several pair for my first Camino in 2013, and I've only had to replace any as I've been preparing for my Camino later this summer. I use the quarter length, and they are awesome. Also, if you tend to get blisters on the balls of your feet (like I do), another thing that I've found really helpful are what my dancer niece calls toe undies. They work great to reduce the rubbing under your feet. Finding those were a godsend!

Bom Camhino!

Ruth

Brian
I walk primarily in a very broken in pair of Hoka Ones. Halfway through the walk, I change to a very good walking sandal. Once in Santiago, I leave my Hokas behind after a traditional photo op on the steps of the cathedral with my shoes showing on the pillar.

Brian
I believe in the 300-500 mile life expectancy and was planning on walking 900 miles over 3 months. I broke in new boots and two pairs of trail running shoes. I shipped one pair of shoes ahead to be held at post office in a large city ahead on my path (since they only hold a package for so long I had to forward it ahead once or twice until it —and I—reached halfway). I alternated shoes and boots depending on weather and terrain, and at the approximately 400 mile point got rid of trail shoes and replaced with the new (broken in) ones i’d shipped ahead). If I’d just been doing the Frances I’d have just alternated the trail shoes and boots, or if weather wasn’t so wet just had two pairs of trail shoes and alternated. I like having the option of changing out wet footwear and since I walked in rain, snow and cold wet shoes/boots didn’t necessarily dry overnight. I have hard to fit feet so the option of just buying shoes on the way, let alone a brand I like, was nonexistent. If for some reason I bought new shoes I’d try to only wear them a few miles at first, switching out with the old ones each day. Just my 2 cents

Brian
Having just looked up your distances it looks like Vezelay to SdC is a two shoe distance with the life expectancy we both seem to give shoes. If I were you I’d break in two pairs and alternate them the entire distance. But I’m partial to taking good care of my feet and not the type to cut my toothbrush in half to save packing weight.

Brian

In most cases, I believe the basic rule should be "One Camino, One Shoe".

After 780km there will be little left of any sole (that is comfortable walking 780km straight with). Structural integrity will also become an issue and any special function will also not be special anymore. Outer material wear and damage will also become an issue. AND THEY ARE GOING TO STINK FOREVER AFTER.

If you are carrying any backpack, except not more than 2-3 kg and without sending some of your stuff ahead, a normal running shoe will not last the entire Camino, will not be supportive enough of you (haha) and the sole is not dense enough to soak up rocks/stones.

IF you carry a minimal amount on your back, send ahead most of your gear and don't walk the entire 780km in one go, then trail running shoes should be perfectly fine. Perhaps even regular running shoes, but my experience is that the newer models are WAY softer in the mid-sole and wear out A LOT FASTER than just 10 years ago. (I would bet a caña that you couldn't walk the entire Camino on a pair of Hoka One One running, even without a backpack)

Regarding break-in, most synthetic shoes/boots don't require much. They are already subtle enough. What you DO need is to "wear them in to" your feet. It is more like getting your feet familiar with them, settled in to the inner sole, getting compression right in the right places and just getting used to them. You don't need several weeks of walking for that. Two or three weekend hikes or a couple of 10k afternoon walks in the weeks leading up to your Camino. This will also help you to discover any issues you might have with that particular shoe. If you use any kind of orthopedic sole, we are perhaps talking a little more break-in again. (I had to buy new shoes one week before the Camino because the ones I had "worn" in were killing my feet. I had literally no break-in on them and had to do that ON the Camino.)

FYI : BUT YOU DO NEED TO "BREAK-IN" YOUR BODY. YOU DO NEED TO GET FIT(TER)!!! This is a whole other issue. But you don't need to wear out your Camino footwear for that. It is about getting your body used to the mechanics. (PS: you don't have to get super-fit)

Most of the people who complain about blisters, have horrible experiences, lot's of pain and go on and on and on about breaking in shoes, just picked the wrong shoes for their specific feet. And MOST if not all of these were just not aware of that they didn't have "nomral" feet. They were just not aware of that they had special considerations to take. (Like ME, which is now why I wear WIDE hiking shoes).

You might be fine with the same type of shoes for years doing weekend trails. BUT THE CAMINO EXCAGGERATES ANY FEET ISSUE YOU HAVE IMMENSELY.

I walked my first Camino (Frances) with a pair of Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX. (THE perfect 3-season Camino shoe IMHO. Perfect balance between weight, stiffness, WP'ness, breatheability. For the summer, when I do shorter Camino ventures, I've used the low version of same shoe w/gaiter for muddy/rainy days.)

There were hardly ANY lugs left when I arrived at Finisterre. They were not worn completely down to the outer sole material, but they were finished as anything useful that's for sure. They were getting slightly slippy, non-grippy in the wet and I could feel too much of the stones through the sole.

These X Ultra's have a slightly soft(er) rubber sole, which increases comfort, grip AND wear. This also means they require less break-in to get a comfortable roll as you walk. The upper is also not stiff, but they are not running shoes or trail running shoes "soft" and there is sufficient support for Camino-type trails. They are something in between trail running shoes and hiking boots. Which again, also means they require less break in, but wear faster. (These shoes are NOT for mountain trails. Those type hiking boots have a tougher sole which lasts longer, is stiffer to support more varied terrain, heavier, requires a lot of break-in if they are not synthetic but also more if they are. I wouldn't recommend these types for the Camino.)

I weighed 79kg when I started the Camino and I had 14kg backpack with a full 2l water reservoir. (This was too much). I do think this contributed to an excessive amount of wear, but I don't think there would have been much walking left in the shoes in any case. MOST of the wear I believe came from the asfalt/concrete + the weight. I did it in 30 days, which of one was aborted, so thats about 30km per day. I used running shoes post-trail and I also used these on 2 or 3 of my most awful feet days. Then I used the X Ultra's from Santiago to Finisterre.....where I DID NOT BURN THEM OR ANY OF MY OTHER PLASTIC GEAR (which I find is utterly idiotic thing to do).

I'm sorry, did I ramble on? ;)

Buen Camino

€83,-
I weigh 110kg and carried a 7kg bag the entire way from the Pyrenees to Finisterre. My Altra Timps trail shows made it the entire way, but no further. It really is a combination of your weight (with pack), what trail you will follow (rock, asphalt, dirt), and the weather - we had snow, rain, mud, and then hot sun!

Just like all things “shoes”, the answer is: it depends! Personally, my trail shoes make it one Camino and I have crocs for post-arrival wear at the albergues.

My Ecco Off-road sandals last multiple caminos. I get sick of them long before the soles even look the slightest bit worn.

Brian
Just seeing your thread now. Here is an idea: you might negotiate with the pilgrim office in SJPdP to see if they would keep a pair of your trusted shoes that you could post there, for pickup when you reach there from Vezelay. You coulld then hang on to the second pair for a day or so, till Pamplona, and post them to Santiago - if Either Ivar or Michael are still holding packages. Correos used to hold packages for a month. Not like here in Ireland. Blink, and your parcel has gone back to sender!
Sorry if I am restating what other posts have suggested. Buen camino.👣

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did my first camino from St Jean de Luz to Villaviciosa and then onto the Primitivo for Santiago in a pair of Merrill Moab boots, but with a fair bit of road walking the soles of my feet were aching quite often but only one blister the whole route. I got a pair of Salomon ultra gtx to walk the francés in 2018 only from Roncesvalles to Fromista, didn't have enough time to finish the route so I made my way to Tui and walked from there to Santiago, i returned in 2019 to resume the camino with the same shoes. I found the Salomon shoe very comfortable with not one blister, these shoes are still in good condition and I will still wear them for my next camino (whenever that might happen), but I did only have about three rainy days in all the time I walked

In most cases, I believe the basic rule should be "One Camino, One Shoe".
This is an excellent first principle.
After 780km there will be little left of any sole (that is comfortable walking 780km straight with). Structural integrity will also become an issue and any special function will also not be special anymore. Outer material wear and damage will also become an issue. AND THEY ARE GOING TO STINK FOREVER AFTER.
This is not true of proper leather hiking/army boots.

These can last 2,000K+ before needing to be resoled, and good leather ones should normally smell of good, healthy leather at the other side of the Way.

Having said that, the traditional leather hiking/army boots are NOT appropriate footwear for all pilgrims indiscriminately, in most cases not IMO as lighter shoes are typically better for the shorter 800-1,000K Caminos (or less) that most pilgrims attempt, though I would personally recommend their use for Caminos longer than 1400-1500K, for pilgrims with ankles weakness, and/or for Winter Caminos.

(poor syntax, apologies)
If you are carrying any backpack, except not more than 2-3 kg and without sending some of your stuff ahead, a normal running shoe will not last the entire Camino, will not be supportive enough of you (haha) and the sole is not dense enough to soak up rocks/stones.
This is an excellent point, beyond that statement.

If you are on a longer Camino starting from beyond SJPP, or on a route in Spain other than the Francès, then you should get footwear with a thicker sole for the inevitable sections of tarmac hiking, and for exactly the reasons that you have put forward.
the entire 780km
The "full Camino" as a foot pilgrim is technically from your home Parish altar and back again via Santiago, which I'm in the midst of attempting for the first time (though sadly I'm no longer capable physically of all of it on one go), but that's just me quibbling as a "purist" ...

See : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-full-camino.49802/

There's still nothing special about SJPP as a starting point, and pilgrims walking from anywhere to Santiago have achieved the "entire" pilgrimage ; as have BTW those pilgrims having travelled in Parish or Diocesan groups by coach or train or however for their own pilgrim purposes, and having walked or cycled perhaps 0K or similar.

These pilgrims have significantly fewer footwear problems !!
(PS: you don't have to get super-fit)
Your post is providing excellent starting footwear insight.

The only times in my experience where the above was not true were my 1994 from Paris, and my 2014 from Lourdes.

My 1994 required about 6-8 months training, to get ready for the 40K days that the 1994 demanded.

As to my 2014, I needed a whole year's worth of dedicated training, doing pretty much nothing else, simply to get myself physically capable again, from my new situation of disability, of walking a Camino again.
Most of the people who complain about blisters, have horrible experiences, lot's of pain and go on and on and on about breaking in shoes, just picked the wrong shoes for their specific feet. And MOST if not all of these were just not aware of that they didn't have "nomral" feet. They were just not aware of that they had special considerations to take. (Like ME, which is now why I wear WIDE hiking shoes).
Good insight. Though the wrong socks, or overly tender skin from not enough pre-Camino hiking, can also lead to similar ...
Finisterre.....where I DID NOT BURN THEM OR ANY OF MY OTHER PLASTIC GEAR (which I find is utterly idiotic thing to do).
Indeed. Though plastic kit is itself dodgy a priori ...

I want to make a point about *stinky boots* (and yep: they are everywhere…).

Hot feet don’t cause stinky boots. Hot feet — even if they sweat — will make your boots smell like warm leather, or warm rubber (whatever)…

But that god-awful rotten cheese stink that hits you int he face in so many albergue boot storage areas?
THAT is the smell of fungus.

Maybe your boots didn’t dry properly… and became a forest of fungus…
Maybe your feet picked something up in a shower…

At that point you need to:

1. spray your shoes with anti-fungal spray (assuming that buying a replacement pair of your favourite footwear isn’t possible)

2. Spray all your socks with the same anti-fungal spray and leave them to dry in the sun (or a hot dryer if you have access to one)

3. Deal with your feet. Buy a good anti-fungal cream (clotrimazole is the usual agent but there’s another that is common and is sold as « Tinactin » in North America).

I’ve never had a foot fungus and I am terrified of it, so I put clomitrazole on my feet after every shower. I don’t wear flip-flops to the shower because I nearly broke my neck trying that method.

But, no, your boots/shoes should not stink. Stink is not a given or natural feature of long hikes.

If you are blessed with dry/non-sweaty feet you may avoid blisters and you may avoid stink — in general (except for the problem of communal showers being a vector for spread), but please, please… if your boots/shoes smell like anything more than warm materials… deal with that by getting rid of the fungus.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I broke in my boots for about 120km in total.
Walked the CF from SJPdP to Santiago, walked with them in Porto for two days, walked several hikes in the Harz mountains, the Lüneburger Heide in the last two years.
Crossed the Alps on the E5 from Oberstdorf to Meran this year and the boots and sole looks fine to me. No cracks in leather and rubber.

I bought a new pair of boots a few months ago for preparing of the next alpine crossing, where I need class B/C boots for crampons this time.

I didn't use up my initial pair of boots yet. Good boots or shoes should survive a Camino, as far as I believe!

I have settled on lightweight running shoes (Brooks Ghost, Wide width) with custom orthotics as the shoe that allows me to walk 50+ km/week at home. (I have tried many others with less success for my metatarsalgia.) These require no break in at all, because my feet know the shoe, but they lose significant cushioning after a few months (e.g. 800+ km) and my feet start getting sore again. My feet recover quickly with new shoes.

If I were planning to walk a Camino over 800 km, I might pre-arrange a new pair at around 500 km. However, I don't plan to do those distances and more, so 1 Camino = 1 pair of shoes for me.

I can imagine that a much heavier person than I might need either a sturdier shoe or more frequent replacement.

I have walked in different boots on each of my pilgrimage walks for quite different reasons.
  • in 2010, the pair of hiking boots I wore were just a tad too small. They worked well on day walks but were clearly on the small side after a couple of weeks of regular daily walking and the associated foot expansion. The boots themselves had done a reasonable distance before the camino, and there was plenty of sole tread left at the end of that camino.
  • in 2012, in Norway, I wore a larger sized hiking boot. I wore down one heel quite a lot, but overall, they would have lasted for another long camino. They weren't my regular hiking boots here in Oz, so when they were dragged out of the cupboard for my next Norse pilgrimage, they had shrunk. Really!!
  • in 2014, I did a short camino, the Ingles, followed by walking out to Muxia and Finisterre. I was going to walk in England after this, so chose a traditional hiking boot. Plenty of wear left for a lot more walking.
  • 2016 saw a return to the Frances with my wife, and having seen such good reporting about the Keen Targhee here, bought a pair. Absolute disaster for me. The tread on the heels had worn through by the time we reached Najera, and gradually exposed the interior grid of the heel over the rest of the walk. By Santiago, the compression of the midsole had completely removed any cushioning it might have started out with at SJPP. These went into the bin in England on our way home.
  • In 2018, I once again walked to Trondheim using a larger size of the same boot I wore in 2012. Same problem with heel wear, but these are still in my collection and provided they don't shrink they will do another pilgrimage, but probably not the Portuguese next year.
  • I haven't decided on my approach for the Camino Portuguese next year. I have tried a couple of pairs of Hoka shoes, and wasn't impressed by the rate of tread wear. I am currently trying a couple of different trail shoes (New Balance and Asics) and they are performing at least as well for a fraction of the cost of the Hokas.
As an aside, the only time I have suffered from blisters was on my first camino, in 2010. I blistered on the day I wore sandals around Pamplona. I had worn sandals before, and done so since, but they have been taken of my hiking footwear list. My go-to pair of 'evening' shoes since 2011 have been the Salomon TechAmphibian3. Call it vanity, but these are reasonably light with closed toes, and I am not yet ready for the sandals with socks look for my evening wear.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hiked from Vézelay to Santiago in September/October last year wearing a new pair of Spanish Chiruca Almanzor Boots (GoreTex and Vibram soles) and they held out to the end and now serve in the garden!

However, I am a hard and fast walker and now find that the ideal, for me, is to carry Keen sandals as my evening ‘shoes’ which I can also wear on warm days and especially towards the end of the day, with socks.

Last year, there was a fascinating exhibition in Bordeaux on the history and development of trainers/trackshoes with fabulous and valuable examples. I also learned that Vibram soles were developed by one, Vitale Bramante!

Some people seem to be very heavy on their footware. I ran a pair of Asics Gel Pulse 8 runners to about 800 km (running) and then walked Logrono-Leon-Oviedo-Santiago in them, followed by Pamplona to Sahagun (run/walk) and there is still very little wear on either the soles or to the inner materials. I have a neutral pronation so maybe that accounts for it. Seems highly variable between people.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.