• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many pairs of shoes??

Ahhhs

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago, May 2015
Porto to Santiago, April 2016
Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago, April 2016
Camino Del Norte, April 2017
Okay. This is not another boots vs. hikers vs. running shoes debate. ;)

I'm assuming everyone has one main pair of shoes that work best for them to hike in every day, and then something to wear in the evening to give their feet a break from the day's boots/shoes.
And then shower shoes as well?

Since I'm going in cooler weather I don't want to use flip flops as my second pair. I'd like to use my hikers and a back up pair of hiking sandals for evening that could also be used to hike in if I needed to. But they wouldn't work well for showering.

Three sets of footwear seems like a lot. Minor details I know, but I'm curious...
How many pairs did you bring or are you packing for your Camino?

Thanks!
Cheers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Like you, @Ahhhs, I thought three pairs of shoes was excessive, and I spent an awful lot of time and effort coming to a decision. Besides my boots (Gortex, so I wouldn't have to worry about them getting soaked) I ended up taking some Croc slippers, pictured below. I wore these in the showers and 'after hours' on the town, even when it was raining. They weren't ideal by any means - there was no support - but I survived. Just be sure that you can wear socks with that second pair of shoes/slippers because you might need the extra warmth.

To be quite honest, I think I would have been happier with some comfortable sandals for after hours, and some flip flops for the shower. So yes, although I hate to say it, I think next time I'll go with three pairs of shoes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
http://www.wdrake.com/buy-mesh-shower-shoes-for-women-310551?icmp=search

I took my merrells for walking most of the time, keen sandals for when my feet wanted s bit of freedom, and hospital shower shoes (mesh with a solid sole) for the shower. They dried very quickly. They are lighter and more flexible in the pack than flip flops.....worked well for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last year I took Scarpa boots for walking, and Salomon Techamphibian shoes for shower and wearing in the evening. The latter are a mesh shoe that dries very quickly, and I was able to avoid the sandals and socks look (and avoid Crocs).

Hello!

I had a three pairs of shoes: trekking shoes, sandals and flip flops! Lightweight and VERY useful! I was happy I had all of them!

BUEN CAMINO! ;)

Jan

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@dougfitz : thanks for that tip about the mesh shoes, perfect for the sandalophobic ...

I have walked with a few different configuration of shoes, once with boots, crocs (mary janes, they are narrower) and Teva Terra Fi walking sandals. Worked wonderfully but it is obviously overkill. Last time I had shoes and Tevas and would have been happy with that ... but my walking companion had a pair of practically weightless flipflops with her that were great for shuffling to the loo in the night or back and forth to the shower, so I probably will take a pair next time, bringing me from a sensible two pairs to three!

.......... and I was able to avoid the sandals and socks look ....
Hmmmmmm, the sandals / slippers / socks dilemma - will it ever go away? :D Personally, I think it is possible to get away with this (e.g. hobbling around León with debilitating tendinitis) ... so long as I wear long pants and stick to dark colours.:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As excessive as it sounds, I brought three pairs. Walked in my Merrells. Showered in a cheap ($2.00) pair of rubber flip-flop's, and wore a pair of Teva sandals around the albergue, roaming about town, etc.
I didn't really even consider the cheap flip-flop's as a third pair of shoes I suppose. Weight negligible. Didn't really care if I lost them or if they blew-out. Kept them in an external pocket on my pack and dropped them in a trash bin in Santiago. Definitely needed them, though. Saved me from foot fungus from the shower floors and really didn't want to roam about town and the albergues in wet sandals after I cleaned up from the day's walk, so they saved the Teva's from that duty.

I use boots and Crocs; yes, those Crocs. But in khaki, not a bright color. Having walked four times now, I've had plenty of opportunity to try out various versions of kit. The first year, I used a mesh "aqua-sox" type shoe (well, "shoe" really is too ambitious a word for this thing), but the sole was way too thin for walking around cobblestoned French streets in the evening, and had no arch support whatsoever. I weighed some Keen sandals but wasn't willing to carry the extra half-pound (250g) they involved. Finally I settled on the Crocs. They're very lightweight, work as sandals, work with socks, have arch support, and have a thick enough sole to make cobblestones tolerable.

Since they are a bit bulky, I use them as spacers in the bottom of my pack, so the weightier bits are higher up. (My pack is a top-loader.)

Hmmmmmm, the sandals / slippers / socks dilemma - will it ever go away? :D Personally, I think it is possible to get away with this (e.g. hobbling around León with debilitating tendinitis) ... so long as I wear long pants and stick to dark colours.:)

My understanding is that anything goes when you are on a hiking trail, anywhere. It's the non hikers who sport the sandals and socks around town who may be suspect and could be apprehended by the fashion police. :cool:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are these the original Crocs, bright colours, quite wide, with the holes on the top? I won't wear these ..... I have enormous feet and am vain enough that I won't wear any shoes that will draw attention to my feet.:oops::D

Crocs has probably 30 models out, and some change every year. What I look for in my Albergue Crocs is:

- the smallest volume I can find (ballerina type or sandal)
- a way to tie them on the outside of my backpack if need be - look for holes or a strap
-ventilation because when you start sweating in closed Crocs your foot slides around and it's not fun
- not be likely to put pressure on the areas of the feet that tend to get blisters
- flexible plastic.

This year I found some so light and flexible that the top part was translucid. Unfortunately they had holes close to the skin around the toes, and wearing them for a day around Barcelona put stress on my little toe's skin, but I covered it with a compede to prevent further deterioration and was just fine.

Here is a link to all sorts of Crocs models (though many for winter because after all, it is winter ;0) ) : http://www.crocs.com/crocs-sale-wom...d=slider_end_of_season_clearance_women_141231

Take a look at the Adriana III Flats on the first page: they are identical to what I wore this year (apparently I had the original Adriana), except for the design of the holes - and these look larger, so much better.

This being said, since you will be walking in colder weather you may want a slightly heavier shoes that you could wear with socks like the Carly Mary Jane (page 1 also) perhaps.

Thanks.
There are a LOT of varieties of Crocs out now. Some pretty nice ones. :)

I may consider flip flops for shower shoes. They are cheap and lightweight and as Mark Lee mentioned, I won't feel bad ditching them in a trash can if they are in the way.

I couldn't bear the idea of crocs. Call me a snob, a fashionista, I don't know... Just couldn't go there! So we each had our hiking boots and a pair of New Balance Minimus runners: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8H3LRQ/?tag=casaivar02-20. These weighed 8 oz a pair, were quick dry and could be worn into the shower if necessary (although we never did) and were bgreathable and supportive enough for tourist walking after we got in. Liz

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you to all contributors; I am learning so much here.
Thanks.
There are a LOT of varieties of Crocs out now. Some pretty nice ones. :)

I may consider flip flops for shower shoes. They are cheap and lightweight and as Mark Lee mentioned, I won't feel bad ditching them in a trash can if they are in the way.
The only downside to flip flops (I assume we're talking the thong-type ones) is that if one is wearing socks, it's not too easy to slip them on, e.g. to go to the bathroom during the night.

@Ahhhs, thank you for starting this thread. :)

I now walk with light weight boots (with ankle supports) and flip flops for use in town and hostel - if camping I would substitute Croce for the flip flops.

I couldn't bear the idea of crocs. Call me a snob, a fashionista, I don't know... Just couldn't go there! So we each had our hiking boots and a pair of New Balance Minimus runners: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8H3LRQ/?tag=casaivar02-20. These weighed 8 oz a pair, were quick dry and could be worn into the shower if necessary (although we never did) and were bgreathable and supportive enough for tourist walking after we got in. Liz
That's a good idea. They weigh less than the hiking sandals from Columbia, Teva or Keen.
I've also seen water shoes like that as well. A lot of companies make them, and some are inexpensive.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I highly recommend long pants and black socks when one commits this fashion faux pas. :D

Yes, I highly recommend long pants and black socks when one commits this fashion faux pas. :D

And perhaps a dark colored stuff sack over each foot?
:rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
:D:D:D But I know persons who don't consider it a fashion faux pas .... and they are lovable still. :):)

They are indeed. I have a good friend who would argue that point with anyone who comments on his white socks and sandals. His children often try to talk to him about their perceived "fashion fail" but he continues to disagree. To each their own.
:)

And I am in the three pair of shoes camp. Boots for walking. Lightweight walking shoes for evenings and a day off. And jandals (flip flops) for the shower. I keep trying to rationalise this but on my last Camino it was wonderful to be able to air my feet in my jandals when I reached the albergue. I keep looking for the elusive shoe that will combine shower duty and something for the evening but cannot come up with a solution. I am not a croc wearer. Just be sure to get something that does not slip on the cobblestones in most towns and villages when they are wet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You say tomato I say tomatoe....wear whatever you feel comfortable in, it certainly doesn't bother most of us

They are indeed. I have a good friend who would argue that point with anyone who comments on his white socks and sandals. His children often try to talk to him about their perceived "fashion fail" but he continues to disagree. To each their own.
:)
:D I see that @Mark Lee hails from New Orleans. My roots are in the Caribbean, not too far away, and I think it is safe to say that wearing socks with sandals, whatever the colour, is considered more of a fashion faux pas in warmer climes than it is in cooler climates. And, of course, they're wearing shorts most of the time anyway. :D

Last edited:
The whole fashion on the camino thing is so funny! Thanks for brightening my day. I only worried about it before I walked. Once I was walking, anything that worked was fine with me. I think crocs would have been just fine! But now that I am not walking the fashion thing has got me again. :p:rolleyes:

I couldn't bear the idea of crocs. Call me a snob, a fashionista, I don't know... Liz

We all have our pet peaves ;0) . Mine: white gym socks worn outside the gym. A product of boarding school were prefects would send the boys back to the dorms to change their socks if they appeared with white gym socks in the dining room. Plus, they are so bulky and uncomfortable ;0) Of course, I don't like socks in general, even in winter here in Montreal, once I'm indoors they come off!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
These look great. Do they last the length of the Camino? 30 days plus?
Yes they did. I still have them. I only used them in the shower and didn't walk around in them (except to and from the shower). I wore my Keens when going to and from the bathroom, other than to shower.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used Solomon trail runners to hike and very lightweight Teva "flip flops" for evenings and the shower. These flip-flops have good arch support and are extremely comfortable, although it would be a good idea to adjust to flip-flops prior to the Camino, because they do require some toughening of the skin between the toes. This is not a problem for me, as I basically wear flip-flops exclusively when home. My feet don't generally get cold in flip-flops, but if that is an issue, a pair of Ininji five toed socks would be flip-flop compatible and provide warmth.

light goretex boots and croqs (excellent to use for wading arroyos t VdlP). I have on my last walks also encluded a pair of very light runners. Good for walking in the afternoon or when the boots are wet.

Wow! Camino fashion! Why not?
It's whatever works for each. I've tried just boots and thongs, boots and crocs. Crocs aggravate my blisters. The last few years it's been Keen shoes or boots, hiking sandals and a very light pair of thongs/flip-flops. The sandals are great to walk in at times and for evenings. The thongs stay attached to outside of my pack and are great for slipping on for rest breaks. Not ideal having 3 footwear items I know, but I still manage to keep my pack below 8kg.

Sounds like many people carry three footwear items.
Basically a hiking shoe, an "evening" shoe, and flip flops.
If we don't count the flip flops as a real "shoe" (since they're technically disposable),
that's really just two pairs of shoes.
;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sounds like many people carry three footwear items.
Basically a hiking shoe, an "evening" shoe, and flip flops.
If we don't count the flip flops as a real "shoe" (since they're technically disposable),
that's really just two pairs of shoes.
;)
True!
But still can't understand the second pair or lovingly named "evening shoe" ;) I went through my doorstep, walking for 15 minutes to the shuttle, flew to Barcelona and Madrid the day after, walking two days all over Madrid and only then changed from flip-flops to boots. I've got impression that flip-flops (or crocs or Tevas for that matter) are only good for taking a shower in them in this thread... Why? Is it for hygenical reasons or what? I don't get it...

True!
But still can't understand the second pair or lovingly named "evening shoe" ;) I went through my doorstep, walking for 15 minutes to the shuttle, flew to Barcelona and Madrid the day after, walking two days all over Madrid and only then changed from flip-flops to boots. I've got impression that flip-flops (or crocs or Tevas for that matter) are only good for taking a shower in them in this thread... Why? Is it for hygenical reasons or what? I don't get it...
I think what is meant by "evening shoe" is a pair to wear around the albergue, while walking about whatever town you have decided to stay for the night, etc. Instead of wearing the pair you showered in, which would be wet of course.

Oh no. The Tevas are back-up walking shoes that double as evening air-your-feet wear. If you get a blister walking in your main footwear, whatever that may be, you will be walking in your sandals or second pair of shoes. Flipflops are great for shower shoes and pop to the loo shoes. Crocs are a mix of the latter two. After who knows how many kilometres a day flipflops don't always give the comfort your feet need, another reason to bring second pair of decent footwear.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's the idea of a second pair of shoes for me. Not only something lighter to change into at night (after taking off the wet or muddy or blister causing shoes you hiked in all day) but as a backup pair to hike in if you need them.

Personally I'm not a big fan of walking long distances in flip flops.

Boots during the day, sandals for after arrival at the albergue (and as backup).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anemone del Camino said:
white gym socks worn outside the gym

Oh no! I violated this every day of my walk!!!:eek:

Oh heck, I am violating that rule TODAY :) But then, I am a Californian. We don't really play by the fashion rules anyway. The first time I ever heard of a Prefect was when I read Harry Potter ;)

Anyway, I think socks with sandals is considered Camino Chic anyway, so go for it.

I take only 2 pairs, the walking shoes/boots and hiking sandals. This year I chose 'water-friendly' ones and they were perfect. (Teva fi Lite)
Changed into them when walking in ankle-deep mud, used them a few times in dodgy showers and can be worn with socks when it's really cold.

I had hiking boots and crocs when I started, but the crocs hurt my blistered feet so bad that I threw them away and bought a pair of flip-flops for 2 euros. Next time I won't be taking heavy hiking boots, though. What works in Finnish forest doesn't automatically work in Spanish meseta, I've noticed. I would like to try hiking sandals on my next camino. I envied people who could just walk all day in their sandals. It wasn't possible for me, since my boots were so heavy they would have added too much weight to my back if I didn't wear them all the time!

Light hiking shoes or boots with an aftermarket insole (lots of concussion in a million steps on a hard surface). Crocs for evenings (when your feet need a break) and walking sections where your feet request a break. Showering 'aux natural'.
Well, it's like washing your feet with..... .
I did pick up some mild foot fungus on the last trip but easily treated at home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Okay. This is not another boots vs. hikers vs. running shoes debate. ;)

I'm assuming everyone has one main pair of shoes that work best for them to hike in every day, and then something to wear in the evening to give their feet a break from the day's boots/shoes.
And then shower shoes as well?

Since I'm going in cooler weather I don't want to use flip flops as my second pair. I'd like to use my hikers and a back up pair of hiking sandals for evening that could also be used to hike in if I needed to. But they wouldn't work well for showering.

Three sets of footwear seems like a lot. Minor details I know, but I'm curious...
How many pairs did you bring or are you packing for your Camino?

Thanks!
Cheers.
This is not camino relevant, but at home I change to a different pair of shoes every day.

One of the things I learned from my father was that when you buy "everyday" shoes to wear then for a few days, and if you like them to go back and buy a second pair. Then swap them every day so that the shoes dry out (evaporate the sweat) on the day that they aren't being worn.

As a result my shoes end up lasting about four times longer this way.

But this comment is NOT for the Camino as long walks / hikes need hiking shoes/boots/whatever works for you, and these are generally expen$$ive...

Mike

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.