• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many pairs of trousers?

BenedicteOR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September-October 2013
Hi,

I'm walking my first Camino in September-October this year. I've seen many people say to bring two pairs of trousers. I've got one pair of zip-offs and it seems to me that two is over-kill. Is it okay to bring just one pair and something else smaller to wear while the pants are washing? Or will situations arise where I'll be grateful, and it will be more convenient, to have two pairs?

Thanks!

Bene

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
With convertible pants, you are really only carrying an extra set of pant legs compared to a pair of trousers and a pair of shorts. I have pondered leaving the pant legs at home, but then thought of how muddy they can get, and shivering in my shorts as I waited for the legs to dry.

You probably will do fine with one pair of trousers.

My Columbia Convertible pants weigh
- pant 218 g
- legs 99g
- belt 29g
TOTAL 346g
One full plus just the top without legs and belt from another is my plan.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first time I did the camino I wore during the day one pair of hiking quick dry hiking shorts. In the evening I wore another pair of trousers, also quick dry. If it was raining or cool during the day, I slipped ion and over my shorts a pair of rain pants to add a layer of warmth.

On my second camino I took two pairs of convertible trousers, wearing one pair during the day, the other pair in the evening. I took my rain pants for protection against the rain and cold.

I used this arrangement for my walk in France and I will be doing the same for my walk along the via de la plata this spring.

May to June 2004 I walked SJPdP to Finisterre. I wore the one pair of convertible trousers all the way, but the weather was good.

Done the same for shorter journeys though in the cold months I took a pair of leg warmers.

I once had to wash the seat of the pants and bought a cheap pair of shorts which I left at the albergue. No one seemed to be bothered if I wandered round the albergue in boxer shorts or underpants.

In short just take one pair - the ones you are wearing.

Yes, quick dry is the key. I've tended to just take a pair of shorts to substitute while my trousers are in the wash, but in September/October it might be a bit chilly in the evening. I'll go against convention here and say 2 pairs of trousers, at least one of which can be cut off into shorts. Both lightweight and quick drying. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Two pair running shorts, one pair lightweight trousers, one waterproof trouser. The second short probably unnecessary.

my choice would be (but I ALWAYS walk in shorts regardless of the weather):

one pair of shorts for walking and
one pair of convertible pants (to be worn as shorts or pants after walking/during the evening)

I walked with only 2 pairs of quick dry convertible pants for every one of my Caminos.

One pair is worn while the other pants in the backpack.

Mostly walk with the pants in the colder mornings and convert to shorts in the late morning and afternoons. Any mud or dirt just the bottom half needed to be washed. This also cuts down on laundry and weight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Usually, I walk in shorts and change into long pants for the evening unless it's very cold or raining in which case I prefer to walk in long pants.

I like to pack light but do take two pairs of zip-offs rather than one pair of long pants and one pair of shorts. One day I'll be brave enough to leave one set of legs at home.

BenedicteOR said:
Is it okay to bring just one pair and something else smaller to wear while the pants are washing?

Sure, go for it. =) If you later find it's not comfortable or that a second pair would be convenient, you could probably find another pair pretty easily in the larger towns. I don't think anyone has ever died on the trail because they were short a pair of trousers. =)

-- Ryan

two pairs of shorts for walking,

one in the morning and one in the evening..

I don't like the full pant..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Green Tortuga said:
BenedicteOR said:
Is it okay to bring just one pair and something else smaller to wear while the pants are washing?

Sure, go for it. =) If you later find it's not comfortable or that a second pair would be convenient, you could probably find another pair pretty easily in the larger towns. I don't think anyone has ever died on the trail because they were short a pair of trousers. =)

-- Ryan

I agree with this advice. I do have to advise one thing though, when you are dne walking for the day, it's nice to have your shower, launder your pants, and then go out for dinner. You'll need something to wear out of the albuergues while your pants are drying. You'll need to eat and that means walking around. Not all albuergues have adequate cooking facilities and sometimes you are simply too tired to cook, anyway. Lastly, walking around in your skivvies in the albuergues makes for bad form, IMHO. Be considerate and cover appropriately.

Two. Both with removal leggings. I also brought a pair of swim shorts, which, yes, I used several times, once swimming across the river in the town of Cacabello.

However many trousers you bring will depend on the expected weather, time of year and conditions of the walk.

If you do decide on bringing two pairs, then having IDENTICAL convertible trousers offers you the option of mixing and matching should the top or bottoms be damaged, get wet/dirty. Often, only the leg part needs to be removed for washing or mending.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I only wear long pants (and long sleeved shirts) when outside. I've had bouts of basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, both related to sun exposure during my shorts-wearing youth and young adulthood. I had an infinite number of rationalizations why sun exposure was not that bad for me,e.g. it's cloudy, it's 8 AM, I have a good base tan, I've put on sunscreen, it's winter, I've had no problems so far, I'm going to live forever, etc., etc.. Each of those rationalizations was a puff of smoke when reality hit. Anyway, I plan to take two quick-drying long pants for El Camino beginning September 23 from St. Jean Pied de Port.

Often, only the leg part needs to be removed for washing or mending.
But the top part needs washing too, and mine may still be on the drying line in Sahagun! I finished with one shorts and two pairs of legs. I take a very light pair of shorts for sleeping, so they served well for the rest of the trip when I was washing the pants. It pointed out to me that I could survive with just the sleep shorts (swim suit) and one pair of pants.

I took one pair of convertible pants and a dress, and coming sept/oct will add thermo leggings to that. I'll wear the dress and leggings when the pants are drying.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm walking in March/April, so I don't plan on bringing shorts.

I'll wear a pair of hiking trousers (300ish grams) and carry a lightweight pair of running trousers (200ish grams). I'll also carry a pair of lightweight merino wool leggings (170ish grams). I figure I can sleep in the leggings, or wear them under the running pants if it's cold in the evening.

While I love the *idea* of zip-off trousers, I just hate how they feel when I'm wearing them! But if I did like them, and I were walking in the summer, I'd probably wear one pair of zip-off trousers and carry the running trousers OR a skirt for evenings.

(Please note: I now use the word "trousers" instead of "pants" on forums where I know there are lots of Brits. Haha!)

Stellere said:
While I love the *idea* of zip-off trousers, I just hate how they feel when I'm wearing them! But if I did like them, and I were walking in the summer, I'd probably wear one pair of zip-off trousers and carry the running trousers OR a skirt for evenings.

(Please note: I now use the word "trousers" instead of "pants" on forums where I know there are lots of Brits. Haha!)
Zip-off pants have come a long way in terms of comfort, especially because of the chunky, inflexible zips they used to use. I also didn't like them but I find my current pair of Columbia Silver Ridge pants to be quite acceptable and barely different from standard pants.

What I still don't like about many brands of zip-offs is that they come with side zips on the pant bottoms to allow easy donning over boots; but this makes it difficult to shorten the pant legs.

muzzal said:
What I still don't like about many brands of zip-offs is that they come with side zips on the pant bottoms to allow easy donning over boots; but this makes it difficult to shorten the pant legs.

Why wouldn't people tuck them into the boots avoiding the bottoms getting wet?

I've noticed people suggesting running shorts. Why running instead of hiking shorts?

The OP mentioned October. If the rains start early :shock:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
NicoZ said:
muzzal said:

Why wouldn't people tuck them into the boots avoiding the bottoms getting wet?
It's not practical to tuck them into the boots as I'm quite short and would need to cut up to 15cm off the bottom of the legs. There is limited selection here in New Zealand so the short-leg pants are often not available.

There are two good reasons IMHO for not tucking trouser bottoms into boots.
1) The boots will not tie properly and will slip on the heel = blisters
2) If they get wet in rain they could leach wet down into the boots =blisters maybe/damp feet etc

My zip offs are good and the right length, but I would shorten overlong trousers or look for a different make rather than tuck them into my boots.

Muzzal, if you have the expertise to shorten the legs can you also remove the side zip and finish the seam, or put a shorter zip in place?

Two, IMO. One pair of trousers is not enough, three is too many.

If one of your two pairs can't bear the strain of the Camino and starts splitting or becoming unwashable or whatever, replace them next time you're in town and throw that pair away.

Some people like to carry a pair of shorts too, for pottering about in the environs of the albergues or whatever, which can be a good idea as a pair of shorts is not a heavy extra bit of load to carry - personally though, shorts are just not my style.

Like some of the others I've managed with just one pair too, but I've only ever felt fully comfortable with two. Keeping your gear clean with just one pair of trousers is that much more difficult ...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Stellere said:
Instead of altering the bottom of the pants, try putting a pleat in the top of the shorts above the zip. The pleat runs parallel to the zip and looks quite neat. If you have short legs, the top of the pants are often also too long and the pleat method makes the shorts more comfortable to walk in.

I can't claim credit for this nifty idea - it comes from a friend who altered her husband's zip-offs in this fashion.

I carry one pair, wear the other and have a lightweight dress (180gms) for warm evenings and it doubles as a nightdress. Terry just has the 2 pairs of trousers, one on one in pack.

Tia Valeria said:
My zip offs are good and the right length, but I would shorten overlong trousers or look for a different make rather than tuck them into my boots.

Muzzal, if you have the expertise to shorten the legs can you also remove the side zip and finish the seam, or put a shorter zip in place?
I also would not tuck overlong trousers into my boots.

You give me too much credit for shortening the trousers :). I used an alterations place which only cost NZ$10 - removing side zips or repositioning them would have been much more expensive. Fortunately I found a brand of zip-offs without the leg zips and I'm very happy with the shortened trousers!

Cheers

Murray

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
julie said:
Instead of altering the bottom of the pants, try putting a pleat in the top of the shorts above the zip. The pleat runs parallel to the zip and looks quite neat. If you have short legs, the top of the pants are often also too long and the pleat method makes the shorts more comfortable to walk in.
Hi Julie

Thanks for that very good idea about putting in a pleat. Fortunately the brand of zip-offs I found worked well by just shortening the bottom of the pants. The shorts were comfortable as they were without alteration, but I know what you mean by sometimes being too long :(

Cheers

Murray

I’ve walked my first Caminho (the Portuguese) this year, and I carried tow pair of convertible trousers. They were great, because they either could turn into shorts, or in trousers.

The funny thing about the length of the legs, it’s that it depends from the brand. I’ve bought a pair from Quechua that when converted into shorts, they stay with the end part above the knee. The other pair that I have, it’s from a “white brand” bought in LIDL (they only cost me 13€), which goes under the knee. So it’s really a brand situation. I’ve found BERG and Karrimor, and they are also different in length in short mode.

I think that the two pair’s, for the persons who are going to do the Francês it’s great, for the Portuguese, I think that one pair it’s enough.

Best Regards
Diogo

One full plus just the top without legs and belt from another is my plan.

I'll be doing the same. I bought two pair of the same color and style of zipoffs from The Northface and plan on leaving one pair of legs. I removed the belts and will use a Bison brand belt with a zipper pocket on the inside. If I need legs and the legs are dirty or wet, I'll wear my rain pants.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be doing the same. I bought two pair of the same color and style of zipoffs from The Northface and plan on leaving one pair of legs. I removed the belts and will use a Bison brand belt with a zipper pocket on the inside. If I need legs and the legs are dirty or wet, I'll wear my rain pants.
Any one familiar with hiking kilts

Donald where's ya trousers,

2 x Columbia zip offs, 2 x Columbia LS shirts, 2 x tees all quick dry stuff, that said it can take most of afternoon to dry

Buen Camino

Donald where's ya trousers,

2 x Columbia zip offs, 2 x Columbia LS shirts, 2 x tees all quick dry stuff, that said it can take most of afternoon to dry

Buen Camino
Take a look at the "Hiker Kilt" web page. A kilt designed by hikers, for hikers. Looks good, machine washable and very quick drying.
I have come to really enjoy the freedom of movement while hiking in a kilt

For years I took only one zip of trousers. Never felt any problem with that. Usually it is warm enough (also september and oktober) to wear the shorts only. Since last year I also take one pair of light weight running/sport shorts because I like to walk in them even more. Less stuf moving around my legs. The first time I used them it gave me an extra feeling of freedom and lightness in walking.

For years I took only one zip of trousers. Never felt any problem with that. Usually it is warm enough (also september and oktober) to wear the shorts only. Since last year I also take one pair of light weight running/sport shorts because I like to walk in them even more. Less stuf moving around my legs. The first time I used them it gave me an extra feeling of freedom and lightness in walking.

I agree Thomas 1962...the less constriction across the legs the better. I always wear only hiking shorts and if it is fresh in the morning...I wear a pair of biking tights underneath them. After years of hiking, I find my thighs have enlarged and the kilt provides even more freedom from the binding across the legs. Besides, when you are a 71 yr. old man wearing a kilt...everyone wants to talk to you and you meet a lot more people :)

I agree Thomas 1962...the less constriction across the legs the better. I always wear only hiking shorts and if it is fresh in the morning...I wear a pair of biking tights underneath them. After years of hiking, I find my thighs have enlarged and the kilt provides even more freedom from the binding across the legs. Besides, when you are a 71 yr. old man wearing a kilt...everyone wants to talk to you and you meet a lot more people :)

For three people, we usually took four pairs of trousers - one good pair each and one pair of very lightweight nylon trousers that fit the largest of us. That way, we could all have clean trousers every three days.

This time, we've found another pair of even thinner silk trousers, and we're only two people walking, and are planning to take one pair of hiking trousers (one zip off, one not) plus the two pairs of very pightweight trousers for washing/getting dry/if the regular trousers rub anywhere - so two pairs each, one weighing next to nothing.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.