• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How many people are starting from SJPDP each day

isawtman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2022
Ice Age Trail, 2014, 2019
I was wondering if there is any way of finding out how many people start out
at St Jean Pied de Port each day. For instance, there is a counter on the internet
on how many people receive their Compostela each day in Santiago. Here's where it
would come into play: if 500 people started the Camino in SJPDP today, and only 200 people
started each day on the previous two days, well, maybe I should hike faster and longer to
get out of the bubble. Maybe this is only something you can find out after you get there.
Plus, there are people starting at Roncesvalles, but I'm not sure if there are a lot of
people doing that. I know that the Camino provides, but I just want to make it easier
for the Camino to provide.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't know whether you can get day to day statistics, but the pilgrim's office in St. Jean Pied de Port publishes the number of pilgrims who register at the office there. But, as far as I know, these statistics are only broken down by months. https://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/statistiques-des-pelerins/

The problem is that those statistics can only give you a general overview of when the busiest times in the year are (May and September), because there's no particular reason to register at the pilgrim's office and many people don't (us included).

In general, people tend to start on the weekend, so if you start mid-week, you'll have a better chance of avoiding a bubble.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That’s most peoples concern from what I can see, especially for first-timers, accommodation. Understandably so. It’s no fun looking for a bed after 20, 30 kilometres when you’re tired and hungry. As suggested above, booking ahead is the best way, and being prepared to walk further or shorter distances than what the guide books tell you. For my part, after two COVID- years of hiking and cycling around all over the place, I reckon I could sleep on the head of a pin! In other words, I’ve reached the point where I’m simply … just not going to worry about it.
That doesn’t help you I know. So, a bit of forward planning and booking for the first few days is all you need. You’ll get into the swing of it after that. Starting midweek is a good suggestion too. I’ll keep that in mind for when I go in June.

Last edited:
If you are going during a busy month I recommend booking ahead up through Pamplona.
After that there are more intermediate stopping points, and the pilgrim traffic spreads out.
Do you think there is any problem to find a place in Roncesvalles public albergue now in the end of march? Im starting in SJPDP on the 26th :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you think there is any problem to find a place in Roncesvalles public albergue now in the end of march? Im starting in SJPDP on the 26th :)
No, at the moment it is still very quiet in Roncesvalles so you certainly will have a bed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are going during a busy month I recommend booking ahead up through Pamplona.
After that there are more intermediate stopping points, and the pilgrim traffic spreads out.
Will this be necessary during May? I'm starting 1st May from SJPdP and I've only booked Roncesvalles. The rest I was going to play it by ear and not book ahead. I'm young and fit so I don't think I'll mind much having to walk an extra hour or so to find the next albergue if the one I want is full.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Will this be necessary during May? I'm starting 1st May from SJPdP and I've only booked Roncesvalles. The rest I was going to play it by ear and not book ahead. I'm young and fit so I don't think I'll mind much having to walk an extra hour or so to find the next albergue if the one I want is full.
If you start 1st May you will be in the busiest period of the year. Between SJPdP and Pamplona it is always like a bottleneck, too many people and too little albergues/hostales. You did a good job making your reservation at Roncesvalles, for in this period we are fully booked daily and sadly we have to disappoint many pilgrims; sometimes everything is full up to Pamplona ....
Try to avoid the usual villages which are mentioned in the guidebooks, try to walk 'in between'.

at St Jean Pied de Port each day. For instance, there is a counter on the internet
on how many people receive their Compostela each day in Santiago. Here's where it
would come into play: if 500 people started the Camino in SJPDP today, and only 200 people
started each day on the previous two days, well, maybe I should hike faster and longer to
get out of the bubble. Maybe this is only something you can find out after you get there.
Plus, there are people starting at Roncesvalles, but I'm not sure if there are a lot of
people doing that. I know that the Camino provides, but I just want to make it easier
I know I be starting out on Saturday , but won't know how many will be leaving at the same time till I get there on Friday .. we can say though that the Camino is likely to be busy this year .. I will add a live feed every day though and it won't surprise me if I stop for a few weeks and do some voluntary work en route to Santiago

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you start 1st May you will be in the busiest period of the year. Between SJPdP and Pamplona it is always like a bottleneck, too many people and too little albergues/hostales. You did a good job making your reservation at Roncesvalles, for in this period we are fully booked daily and sadly we have to disappoint many pilgrims; sometimes everything is full up to Pamplona ....
Try to avoid the usual villages which are mentioned in the guidebooks, try to walk 'in between'.
I thought August was the busiest period of the year? I heard May was relatively quiet... I will look at staying in the intermediate Albergues. Thanks!

I thought August was the busiest period of the year? I heard May was relatively quiet... I will look at staying in the intermediate Albergues. Thanks!
It depends on if you are looking at the statistics of those starting in SJPDP or those finishing in Santiago.

Look at the chart that I posted above. It is for pilgrims starting from SJPDP, and the highest peaks are May and September.

Those May pilgrims will be arriving in Santiago in June, along with many who start from Sarria in the summer months.

However those that start in September won't find such a big surge in Santiago in October because there are far fewer pilgrims who start from Sarria in the autumn.

Many Spaniards use part of their summer vacation time to walk the final 100 km, often in groups.

Do not confuse stats that display busy at the “start” in SJPdP vs busy at the end in SdC! Although it’s a continuous route, folks start at every place in-between. Expect bottlenecks of folks wherever a large city exists on the route as pilgrims invariably take transit to those stops to begin walking. Not too mention weekends, holidays, tour groups, religious conventions, and such - ANY time can be busy if you find yourself in a bubble of walkers. Finally, walking when few others are walking may sound like a fine way to score a bed, but if it’s off-season and albergues are closed, then you might actually have a harder time finding somewhere to sleep!

In short, pick whichever time works best for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As @andycohn suggested, starting mid-week would be a good idea and trying to avoid the ‘usual’ stages would help.
There are many lovely small villages where you’ll be able to find a bed for the night.
Follow your heart …
Buen Camino!

(and don’t feel you have to rush it, just to avoid ‘bubbles’ 😉)
FWIW there were many local walkers between Burgos and Hornillos yesterday (Sunday (3/20)) and Fuente Estrella in Hontanos said they were full this weekend. Today in Castrojeriz no problem with rooms and many places open. Saw a total of one peregrina on my walk today.

Things can get busy if you unexpectedly arrive at the town during a major festival, we arrived at Pamplona on the weekend of a medieval festival and at Logronno at the start of their week-long harvest festival.
We just went up to hotel accommodations and enjoyed the festival.

Good idea but don't think its possible. I start on 20th May and have book Orisson. from there I'll pass Ronconvalles and stay at mid stage villages which I won't book and find as I go. I did the main stages on a previous CF so really looking forward to re visit some of the smaller villages etc. buen camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know whether you can get day to day statistics, but the pilgrim's office in St. Jean Pied de Port publishes the number of pilgrims who register at the office there. But, as far as I know, these statistics are only broken down by months. https://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/statistiques-des-pelerins/
The office in Santiago published annual and monthly reports that break it down in many ways, like country, route, mode of travel, gender, etc. But that's arrivals, and not by what day.

Beware the young and fit! We were the ones breaking down within the first week from SJPDP because we tried to go too hard too quickly. I remember rushing past people the first few days trying to get out of 'the bubble', hobbling into and from Pamplona, needing 4 rest days in Villatuerte to get my knee back to feeling ok. Pushed it too hard again then needed 5 days rest in Burgos. Probably my favourite Camino saying: "start like old person, finish like young person." Every injured person I came across was 'young and fit'.

FWIW there were many local walkers between Burgos and Hornillos yesterday (Sunday (3/20)) and Fuente Estrella in Hontanos said they were full this weekend. Today in Castrojeriz no problem with rooms and many places open. Saw a total of one peregrina on my walk today.

So lovely to hear a live update!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back